Home
Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses so I figured I'd throw it out here.

My buddy and I have done a couple of DIY OTC rifle hunts in CO, both unsuccessful. We would like to harvest an elk for the meat, we're not necessarily all that into antlers, though a bull would be nice someday. So at this point we're interested in a DIY cow hunt. I've seen the comment/strategy of doing a cow hunt while building points for a bull hunt. We'd be interested in that possibility, maybe learning an area via cow hunting while gaining points for a future draw hunt in the same area.

What do you all think is the "best" state for an NR rifle cow hunt? By best I guess I'd mean likelihood of getting a tag, numbers of elk, hunter success, tag cost, etc. We have I believe all the gear we need. Would probably be most likely interested in a hunt where we'd be truck camping.

If there are other aspects of this that are important to mention, feel free to throw them in. Once we determine which state we'd prefer then I'll dive into the info on that state's site and start doing more in-depth research.

Thanks for the help!
Originally Posted by Crusader
. . . . we're not necessarily all that into antlers, though a bull would be nice someday. . .

My gawd
I can't believe that somebody besides myself would ever
post that online
Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses . . .

You probably won't ever get any kind of response
there unless you post that you're parking at the
Canadian border and packing into Colorado over
the mountains on foot with all your gear on your
back and carrying no water or food and 3 rounds
of ammunition
You’re pretty late to the party for cow elk tags.
Do you have any points saved up or ?
I can’t speak for other states, but Oregon cow tags are
Pretty low and require lots of luck or lots of points. I don’t think there are any OTC cow hunts. Unless you archery and it’s a hair/either sex tag in the unit.
Start looking for private ranches or guides that have depredation, or damage control tags. I know Oregon is giving out a [bleep] load of cow tags to ranchers. But obviously that will be pay to play.

I’m doing cow hunt like that next month in Utah
You could save yourself some money and do a high fence hunt in Texas.........
I've got some info for you via pm
I have been exploring this lately. I can get a fully guided 5 day, all inclusive cow elk hunt in NM for $3700. That includes, meals, lodging, licenses, game retrieval and everything other than final meat processing. Figure out how much you'd have to sink into a public land hunt going your own way, then compare prices. The outfitter is very well respected an has excellent reviews. This is a private ranch hunt. I am going to do this if my bud will roger up.
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses . . .

of ammunition

😁. To the op, Wyoming has a lot to offer.
Originally Posted by wytex
I've got some info for you via pm

ditto
I could probably still sneak into some honey holes in my old stomping grounds , even though much of it has been burned, but what has become apparent in my recent years here in coulee country is how many there are from just this area that go to CO to hunt elk. I am thankful I got as many years as I did in the high country without running into many other hunters, most hunts none!
I figure I spend about $2500 not including trespass fee for 9 day hunt in Colorado. I’m happy to pay the ranch fee and not contend with all the honyonks making a nuisance of themselves on public land, plus it’s safer and more enjoyable not seeing a pumpkin patch on every hillside. Success rate varies year to year but I’m batting .570 for the 14 seasons I've hunted that spot. Happy Trails
Thanks for the info, guys. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm not looking for a hunt this year, but for 2022 or maybe 2023.

of ammunition

Hahahaha so perfect. My thoughts exactly.
Why wouldn't you stick to Colorado?
Look for a state that offers depredation hunts. Look for a ranch that offers depredation hunts.

Haven’t read all the posts but if not mentioned be sure to check for cow opportunities in Wyo.
We hunt Wyoming and it is "affordable". We pay a $1600 trespass/guide fee plus tags are around $550 I believe. The ranch is right in Jackson and we have always filled out the first morning. It is super easy flat land hunting and our guide fee gets the animal skinned, quartered and hanging on the pole. We stay in a hotel right in town so that adds $50 or so per guy per night. All in all, it is very reasonable and 2 guys can easily get all our junk in 1 truck along with 2 quartered fat cows.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Why wouldn't you stick to Colorado?

Yep, we're open to sticking with Colorado, just wanted to get input on other possibilities.
Colorado has the largest elk number of any Western State, I would think that learning the country and sticking with it would bring results.
There is no best: Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Idaho etc all have cow Elk tags available with between random to 0-4 points that will get you into DYI cow Elk. Success varies with how hard you hunt. In 5-7 days or as little as 1 day, you could be packing out meat from Public lands and for little money. If you are looking to be pampered, there are plenty of ranches in those states that will have you hunt on a private land or equivalent tag, usually a 2-3 day sometimes longer hunt all-in for between $900-$2500+, plus your tag fees, tips and meat processing etc.

Just pick a state and do some research and don't forget to test for CWD and follow game transportation rules across state lines to a avoid fines and spread of CWD.
For what its worth, we have hunted Colorado, Wyoming and Montana in the last ten years. We've had some tremendous trips to each state. We have found a place in central Montana that works well for us. The timeline and seasons works for us, licenses are quite available, its not that far from here, relatively speaking, nice cabin and trespass fee, all in line with expectations. Nothing wrong with any of the states, we just don't need to travel farther, we aren't afraid of the cold or the bears, the elevation is lower which is good for us.

All these things are considerations, you have to decide what is important or not, to you.

of ammunition

What a ridiculous thing to say. You don't need three rounds, save the weight and just pack two.
I got a cow rode my e bike to public land…. A few days back.

217 yard shot with my dads hitler post office Mauser…… his brother gave it to him from WW2, it’s a family deal I guess…..8 x 57 175 grain cup and core. Hand loads.

Left the house just at legal shooting light…..

Was back before the wife finished her first cup of joe.

If I would have held the cross hairs a little more foreword for the walking movement it would have been better.

But it was A Ok in my book. Idaho unit 30 A tag.

This morning I had a herd of them at 30 yards…right on my fence line…….I guess they gotta eat.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have been exploring this lately. I can get a fully guided 5 day, all inclusive cow elk hunt in NM for $3700. That includes, meals, lodging, licenses, game retrieval and everything other than final meat processing. Figure out how much you'd have to sink into a public land hunt going your own way, then compare prices. The outfitter is very well respected an has excellent reviews. This is a private ranch hunt. I am going to do this if my bud will roger up.

Sounds kind of high for a NM cow but it's five days. Assuming it's got a decent elk population and you have a reasonably good guide, what are you going to do the other four days?
© 24hourcampfire