Home
Posted By: huntsman22 canceled... - 10/14/21
Drew a first season CO elk tag this year and had to put off my trip today. My heeler pup got sick last night and puked all over the house. Took her to the vet this morning to find out she has parvo, vacs and all. So I get to stay home and play doctor for a few days. That is all.
Posted By: Deans Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Well that stinks. Hope your pup gets over parvo soon.
Posted By: SLM Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Sorry to hear that hunts’.

Hope the pup heals up well.
Posted By: goalie Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Sucks to miss the hunt, but at least you're putting family first.
Posted By: SKane Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Man, that sucks. Finn couldn’t watch his sibling? 🤒
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: canceled... - 10/14/21

Well, crap.
That puppy is going to owe you.......
Posted By: EdM Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Sad about the pup, Don.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Too bad. Funny how even dogs can get sick after being vaccinated. Hope the heeler heals up.
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Sometimes there are more important things than hunting, and dogs are one of them! Hope the pup recovers huntsman22!
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
I wouldn't leave my dog either. Good man, you are.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Nasty business. We once very nearly lost a pup to Parvo; hopefully your heeler will have a milder case since she was vaccinated.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by goalie
Sucks to miss the hunt, but at least you're putting family first.

^^^This^^^

Hope your Heeler Pup gets well soon.
Posted By: test1328 Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
That sucks, Hunts! But, it's important to take care of the pup. My first thought was why the hell didn't you get that dog her COVID shot?! I'm sure that's why she caught it!
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Sometimes there are more important things than hunting, and dogs are one of them! Hope the pup recovers huntsman22!

Agreed, on all counts.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by test1328
That sucks, Hunts! But, it's important to take care of the pup. My first thought was why the hell didn't you get that dog her COVID shot?! I'm sure that's why she caught it!

testicle, the vet said parvo was just like the covid, in that they can still get it even with the jab....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Damn! Sorry to hear about the sick pup☹️. And the hunt.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Hope your Heeler gets well soon Huntsman!

Ron
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Huntsman22: If I weren't so far away I would come over and baby-sit that doggie so you could get off on that Hunt.
Sorry to hear of the sick pup.
Hope it gets better soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 805 Re: canceled... - 10/14/21
Hope the pup recovers soon. Will you have enough time to make it out on the hunt next week?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
not looking like it. Vet says the pup won't be ready. And it would be a bish trying to warm up subQ fluids. I was really looking forward to getting her to her first elk camp, wearing her new little orange vest......
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
It might have been a chore, sharing my bed with TWO dogs, tho....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It might have been a chore, sharing my bed with TWO dogs, tho....

Mans best friends are hard to leave behind. Elk season will be there next year.
Posted By: Aviator Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Hope that pup gets better and hope you can get out and hunt one of the later seasons!
Posted By: LouisB Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Hope the pup has fully recovered.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Hope your pup has a full recovery. Heelers are a lot of fun in elk camp.
Last I looked you could get your points, or your license fee, back but not both providing the season hadn't yet begun.
Hope to see a photo of the pup.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Feel for you huntsman. I can sympathize. We spent over $5k on surgery to fix our dogs leg. Told my wife I could have gone elk hunting for that cost. Oh well, I guess the vet can hunt an elk on me…..Hope your pup feels better soon.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
So sorry to hear the lil un's troubles, Mate !!

Good man, for putting her (?) first.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Sorry about your pup and hunt, Sir. Hopefully she recovers fully.

I'm sure you'll manage to sneak in plenty of hunting and shooting once she is. wink
Posted By: Whelenman Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Well that definitely sucks!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: canceled... - 10/15/21

testicle, the vet said parvo was just like the covid, in that they can still get it even with the jab....

Well I hope like Covid that she has a better chance of recovery because she got the jab...
Posted By: WAM Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
I’d have done the same thing. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Good on you for putting the dog first- I would’ve done the same thing. If only people were half as good as dogs...still sucks it happened the same time as your hunt though.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: canceled... - 10/15/21
Somewhere there is an Elk that has dodged a bullet. I hope your pup recovers completely and soon.

mike r
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: canceled... - 10/17/21
Wishing you all the best with your pup.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: canceled... - 10/17/21
Hope your pup is on the road to recovery
Posted By: ironbender Re: canceled... - 10/18/21
Parvo surely aint to be messed with or taken lightly.
Posted By: test1328 Re: canceled... - 10/18/21
Hunts, was thinking of your dog and wondering how she's doing? Any news?

We just decided to buy a new pup ourselves and the breeder is paranoid about Parvo. I don't blame her for that. Nasty stuff.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
yup, it's nasty. Puked all over the house until nothing but bloody water came out. Severe dehydration, had 5 days of no poop, gave sub cutaneous fluids, shots, pills and prolly other stuff. Was a real handful when the IV bags came out, no way was she gonna stand to be poked and injected again... Had to stuff pills down her throat, syringe bone broth down every 2 hours and a special canned food in between broth doses. But we turned the corner yesterday. In the morning she was listless and vacant stare, but by afternoon she was feeling good enuff to go do chores on the quad. Even having to lift her normally bouncy self into the truck to go get treated, she bailed right onto the 'wheeler without help. All she did the whole time was just lay there, so to see a sign of life really boosted me. The real boost came this morning, she humped up and s hit happened. Got even better throughout the day. She even grabbed her frisbee and wanted to play, but after the first throw was content to just lay on the lawn with it. Followed all the way thru evening chores and was almost her normal, joyous little self.

At least I got lots of laptime outta it...

You can kinda see the subQ fluid humpback as she is miserable in the truck...

was never so happy to see dogchit, as I was this time...and it wasn't diarrea

she rode on her seat ledge to go check water, but wore out balancing up there...

The vet said a 50% chance of survival, so I'm happy. She said it was kinda like covid in that vaxxed dogs symptoms are usually milder than the unvaxxed. I don't know that I'd want to deal with it if was worse....
Posted By: SLM Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
Glad to hear she’s on the mend.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
Good deal....though I could have done without the dogshït picture.
Hey, dammit... They say 'pics or it didn't happen'....... So there.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
Even from the pictures you can see her suffering. And the pic with the dogchit is o.k. But the chit seems to be a bit too greasy. Is that normal?
Posted By: JeffP Re: canceled... - 10/19/21

I didn’t know that, thanks
Posted By: smokepole Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
Dang Don, sorry to hear that. There's always next year for your pup to take you huntin though.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
Thanks Don !!

So glad for this outcome.
Posted By: Aviator Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
My hats off to you for taking such good care of your dog during this difficult time! Good Job!!
Posted By: test1328 Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
That is fantastic news, Don! Glad she turned the corner. She does look pretty worn out in a few of those pictures. Hopefully, the trend continues and she's right back with it as usual in a day or two.

Any idea on how she might have contracted Parvo? Seems strange that she would get it where you live and what you do. Then again, maybe there are a lot of dogs that come around?
Don't know of any strange dogs coming around. But with antelope season over, it could have been coyotes or coons, maybe? the vet don't think so, but we gut and skin all our critters in the ranch dump and the coyotes kinda clean up. The dogs go up there and haul legs and stuff back to the house to chew on. Vet says they can catch it by eating others poop and that it stays in the soil for a long time.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: canceled... - 10/19/21

Good to hear she’s on the mend, poop pics and all….
Posted By: test1328 Re: canceled... - 10/19/21
Don't know of any strange dogs coming around. But with antelope season over, it could have been coyotes or coons, maybe? the vet don't think so, but we gut and skin all our critters in the ranch dump and the coyotes kinda clean up. The dogs go up there and haul legs and stuff back to the house to chew on. Vet says they can catch it by eating others poop and that it stays in the soil for a long time.

Thanks for the additional information. My understanding was pretty much the same, that it could survive for a long time in the soil and that they could catch it from eating other dog's poop, but I didn't know if there were other means of catching it, like traveling through the air or eating out of the a same dish as another dog, etc. Parvo is one of the reasons I think dog parks are a bad idea, as is walking your dog on the same trail as a 1,000 other dogs do in the city. I'm amazed that more dogs in the city don't suffer from it.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: canceled... - 10/21/21
Glad she’s ok Don! We almost lost our springer years ago when she got it. Nasty stuff. She pulled through also.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: canceled... - 10/23/21
Good job bringing her back around. She looked pretty out of it there in some of your pics.
Posted By: ribka Re: canceled... - 10/23/21

Thanks for the additional information. My understanding was pretty much the same, that it could survive for a long time in the soil and that they could catch it from eating other dog's poop, but I didn't know if there were other means of catching it, like traveling through the air or eating out of the a same dish as another dog, etc. Parvo is one of the reasons I think dog parks are a bad idea, as is walking your dog on the same trail as a 1,000 other dogs do in the city. I'm amazed that more dogs in the city don't suffer from it.

it can last for many years in the soil according my vets.. Can be fatal in a significant percentage of dogs. glad your dog pulled through
Posted By: clos Re: canceled... - 10/24/21
Bummer Don. Glad to see your dog is pulling through
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: canceled... - 10/26/21
Any new updates? I hope your pup is even better now.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: canceled... - 10/26/21
Sorry to hear this, but glad she will be okay..
Posted By: saddlering Re: canceled... - 10/29/21
I just saw this hope the pup is doing better. Taking my pup to the vet for his shots my Vet said that parvo was real and in northern Michigan right now and told me to keep my pup away from other dogs till he was done with his shots. He's doing good so far and done with his shots now. Take care Don
Posted By: AZmark Re: canceled... - 10/29/21
I got just one thing to say..........

How you treat your dog is a direct reflection of your character.
Posted By: ingwe Re: canceled... - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by AZmark
I got just one thing to say..........

How you treat your dog is a direct reflection of your character.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Really glad she made it Don.
© 24hourcampfire