Home
Posted By: SBTCO The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/05/21
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/05/21
Posted By: navlav8r Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Nothing like a knife fight where all of the combatants are fighting with 12 knives…
Posted By: Sheister Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
I've seen bachelor herds before but never when all the boys were big, mature bulls like that.... pretty impressive...
Posted By: ryoushi Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Cool! Are those Roosevelt's?
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Quite a collection of trophies on the hoof! Interesting to watch their interactions and tolerance with each other.
Thanks for posting!
Posted By: Judman Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by ryoushi

Looks like nooksack/skagit country. I know the “how to hunt” guy is from BC, hunts alotta blacktails
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Just for the record...wapiti is Shawnee for 'white rump'. Apparently the Shawnee were color blind. They're yellow. Mule deer have white rumps.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by ryoushi

Looks like nooksack/skagit country. I know the “how to hunt” guy is from BC, hunts alotta blacktails

That's what I was thinking. Some dandy bulls in that group wherever it is!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Neither here nor there, but I'm curious, I have lived and worked in the mountain west all of my 75 years, other than some Alaska time...and I have never heard ever heard anyone say 'Wapiti'. Seen it in magazines a lot, but never heard it. Is that a thing? Is it only used by a certain income group? Also since I' m axing, is it 'wah-pity' or 'wah-peetee'?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Wapiti isn't a thing here. I never hear it, just read it. It's just a nick name.
Posted By: las Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Perhaps to distinguish between American (wapiti) and European "elk" (moose)_
Posted By: flintlocke Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/06/21
Since we are digging into sophisticated linguistics, I'll share the Klamath tribes universal word for the 'yellow rumped good to eat' animal. Elk. There are still some elder tribesmen who use the longer description, "Sumbitch looked bigger in da headlights".
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've seen bachelor herds before but never when all the boys were big, mature bulls like that.... pretty impressive...

I agree, as I never get tired of this!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/07/21
After the rut, the bulls separate from the cows for a while, usually until mid to late November. I've seen herds of 100 or more with not a single antler in the crowd other than a few yearling spikes. It's dang frustrating when you see a field crawling with elk and not an antler in the bunch to fill your tag.
Posted By: beretzs Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/07/21
Awesome vid!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/07/21
Awesome.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Wapiti isn't a thing here. I never hear it, just read it. It's just a nick name.

I use it all the time, as in ....

"I went to the mountains to outwit the Wily Wapiti. Unfortunately, the Wily Wapiti outwitted me yet again." grin

L.W.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

"I went to the mountains to outwit the Wily Wapiti. Unfortunately, the Wily Wapiti outwitted me yet again." grin

L.W.
mmm, yes. That does happen more often than not. I've had my share of outwittings. You sneak through the trees toward a herd that you KNOW is there. Then when you're only a thin layer of trees away from them, you hear a bunch of hoof beats and branches breaking.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/30/22
Very cool! Wherever it is....
Posted By: 1minute Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/30/22
Yes. I've often sensed their presence via smell long before seeing them.
Posted By: smokepole Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/30/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

That's the correct usage. If you kill one, you killed an elk. But if you don't, you were outwitted by the wily wapiti.

Last time I was outwitted by the wily wapiti, the sonofagun moved just as I was pulling the trigger, causing the otherwise perfectly-placed shot to miss.

It's uncanny how they do that. Or, it could have been bullet failure.
Posted By: handwerk Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/30/22
Thanks for that, what big bodied bulls, gezz for a beautiful animal.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/30/22
Sweet video!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/31/22
My favorite smell (yes, even more than cheeleader snatch on prom night) is the way the top of a branch bull’s head smells on the patch between his antlers.

If you know what I’m talking about, you know.

P
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/31/22

Nice.

Even 60 years I heard the term wapiti used, generally in humor.

And you guys are right, one we kill one it’s an elk, when we’re outsmarted they become the wily wapiti……
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 01/31/22
Very cool video.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/01/22
the title of the thread is 'essence of wapiti'. If you're ever down wind of an elk wallow on a warm Sept. day, you'll get plenty of 'essence'.
Posted By: Mossy Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/02/22
the title of the thread is 'essence of wapiti'. If you're ever down wind of an elk wallow on a warm Sept. day, you'll get plenty of 'essence'.

My daughter and I were still hunting through some timber opening morning this last fall. I told her elk were close and she asked how I new. I said I can smell them, they have a barnyard odor to them. She thought I was pulling her leg.

That same afternoon after she killed her bull and we were taking pictures ,she looked at me with a funny look on her face. I asked what she was thinking and she said dad you’re right, they do smell like a barnyard!
Posted By: smokepole Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/02/22

Or better yet, downwind of some elk with a tag in your pocket. Sometimes even the beds smell rank.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/02/22
Several years ago in a late cow hunt, I got into an area with 10" of snow. As I approached a small pond (frozen over), the smell got pretty rank. I found a bedding area with literally hundreds of beds and the smell was really strong.
I was glassing from there and located the herd about 1/2 mile away There was an easy approach and I got one 30 min later from about 75 yds. Of course the herd vanished when I shot but as I was dressing her out, they came back. There were dozens of them a few hundreds yards away just watching me.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/02/22

Second elk I ever killed with a bow, I initially saw them moving almost straight up a ridge on the other side of a ravine I was on. Down the ravine and up the other side I went. I could smell then right where I last saw them. When they hit a trail they could've gone left or right, I chose right and could still smell them. After a about a half hour of sneaking along the trail smelling elk I lost the scent, turned downhill and there they were in a wilowl park along the stream bottom.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Second elk I ever killed with a bow, I initially saw them moving almost straight up a ridge on the other side of a ravine I was on. Down the ravine and up the other side I went. I could smell then right where I last saw them. When they hit a trail they could've gone left or right, I chose right and could still smell them. After a about a half hour of sneaking along the trail smelling elk I lost the scent, turned downhill and there they were in a wilowl park along the stream bottom.

I'll edit this to add that I guessed there were 70 or 80 elk and I didn't see an antler in the crowd. Cows stink, too.
Posted By: winfw01 Re: The Essence Of Wapiti - 02/09/22
Very cool vid!
© 24hourcampfire