Home
Posted By: RHutch What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
.com/gp/159684864@N02/ax92c1][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

.com/gp/159684864@N02/84g92a][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Nice bull. Good diggers and royals, good length, but very light on mass which can make the tines look longer than they are.

What part of the country does that bull come from?
Posted By: RHutch Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
SE Colorado, east of Trinidad

He is 44 1/8 wide which may give some perspective.

He is certainly wide for his size!
A lot. 😂
Posted By: WAM Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
More than I’ve ever bagged….. 🤣
Posted By: jc189 Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
I'm certainly no Elk expert. I have only killed 2. I'm sure some others will chime in here that have a lot more experience hunting Elk. But my best guess would be 340-350
Posted By: Winnie70 Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
Maby 275
He’s got brow tine length going for him - I’d say 290 maybe a touch more - my reservation in judging from a pic is the length of his mains. How long is his main beam?

This one went 310 with a broken brow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

*I’m not an expert but have been around the scoring of a bunch of bulls - I could be way off - not trying to come across like a punk - just rendering a guess.
I never had him scored but I will grab a ladder and tape beam length. He is weaker on his left for length.
Just curious and have a bit of cabin fever. He’s been hanging there for 6+ Years and I get asked when people see him up there.
I'd say in the 310 range, but I am no expert.

For comparison,

Here is a bull a friend killed,I'd say in the 360+ range

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is one killed in Unit 201 in NW CO. I did a self measurement and got 343. Mass and width helped a lot

Originally Posted by saddlesore

For comparison,

Here is one killed in Unit 201 in NW CO. I did a self measurement and got 343. Mass and width helped a lot

Two gorgeous bulls! I think you might be conservative on the top pictured bull - Outstanding in every way!
I’ll give you a guess and tell you how I came up with it. For the record I always talk in gross and most of the time use averages when scoring one on the hoof or in a pic.
Right side
Mass
Total 138
Left
Mass
Total140
Tine length and mass=278
You said he’s 44+ wide but I’m not sure if that’s outside or the widest point between the beams so I’m just gonna give him an average width of 40
318” gross.
Call him a 320 bull all day. Bull has great bottom end just dropped off up top.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
I am stuck on 300.
Using BC measuring technique (internet 🧐) I am getting 52” on his right and 50 2/8 on his left.
Verified width inside at 44 2/8
Measured the longest front point at 19 and the shortest at 17+. (Cause I can reach those from the landing)

Since he’s hanging in a stairwell, it’s difficult to put tape everywhere on him. My wife says she ain’t helping anymore and I can’t blame her cause Im a little gassy this morning….

So here are a few more pics.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: wytex Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
That bull does not have the mass to break 300, imo.
What mass measurement would you say he has?
No matter what he scores ,a darn nice bull.
Well hell you’re halfway there to getting his whole score! A lot better bull than I gave him credit for. Right there you picked up up 20 inches. Most of our bulls in NM average 50” main beams. Anytime you beat that that’s icing.
No matter what he scores ,a darn nice bull.

Thanks, I like him. Getting back on the ladder in a few to take the mass measurements. I’m getting more curious now.
I should say most of our mature bulls have 50” MB’s
Posted By: krp Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
Gross it's 350+, if the bull grows it I give it to him, no deductions.

Kent
Nets are for fish!
Originally Posted by krp
, if the bull grows it I give it to him, no deductions.

Kent

Same here
Posted By: wytex Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
He has nice tine length but not great mass, good mass so tine length may make up for the mass. He may go 300 but not 335+. I'm talking gross score as well here.

I've held 335" and 365" bulls' antlers in my hands, he just does not look that big to me but he is a very nice bull. No disrespect to your elk at all.
His main frame is around 200 inches, he'd have to average 10 inch tines to only be 300.

Kent
It is what is is. He been dead for 7+ years and I can’t grow him bigger. 😝 No disrespect sensed.
I hope this exercise may help the next first time Elk Hunter know what he’s looking at in the field. I did my research before I went and had an idea of what a 300+ bull looked like as that was what I was hunting for.

Just finished the arduous task of measuring twice, to the best of my ability.
I had my width incorrect. He is widest at 44 2/8. Inside width is 38 7/8.
So what does he score? Net and gross for you guys that know how that adds up.

.com/gp/159684864@N02/X0Ayu1][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Ok, you lost 5 inches in width, and I admit that mass is very skinny, like a 5pt bull, even with that you only lost another 5 pts... 345ish.

Kent
I think his fronts save him. At 440 yards, he looked like a shooter to me!
Absolutely he's a shooter, His tines were easy even in a picture I gave him average 18in fronts, 16in 3rds a 4ths, and 7in 5ths for 150, he had 156ish.

Main frame is right at a 350 bull here in AZ, except mass averages 57/58, I gave your bull 52, it was 47... Az bulls will go 50/52in mains, 40 in width and 57 mass, close to 200in main frame total.

Out in the field I look at fronts and tops, then mains, and can get close to score, pictures are harder with angles and effect on mass and width... but fronts and tops are still easy to see.

Kent
Without looking at your numbers and seeing the length through his fronts. Even without mass and weak tops I bet he’s right around 335
Thanks for the education. I hope to hunt AZ one day. Montana is next, either this fall or next, depending on the draw.
You didn’t lose 5 inches. Inside spread is counted at the widest point between the main beams. Perpendicular of course. That point can be at the tips if he flares out or closer between the 4ths on oval shaped bulls. Just depends on the shape.
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
I’ll give you a guess and tell you how I came up with it. For the record I always talk in gross and most of the time use averages when scoring one on the hoof or in a pic.
Right side
Mass
Total 138
Left
Mass
Total140
Tine length and mass=278
You said he’s 44+ wide but I’m not sure if that’s outside or the widest point between the beams so I’m just gonna give him an average width of 40
318” gross.
Call him a 320 bull all day. Bull has great bottom end just dropped off up top.

I didn't run the numbers like you did but my gut feeling just looking at it was 315-320 so we are of the same mindset.

Nice breakdown!
Posted By: coltar1 Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/05/22
Nice Bull no matter the score. As long as it has a good story, you'll remember it forever.
According to your papers he’s just shy of 350 if I hit my calculator right. Not shocked those are long beams and huge fronts. A lot more believable than most “350” bulls posted
[Linked Image]

My picture posting always seems to be blurry for some reason but this bull was 359 7/8 for comparison. Great fronts but lost size on the back side

Attached picture 5003E4E8-8888-4FF9-8CFE-E446BC60625C.jpeg
Posted By: krp Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/06/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This bull I found dead on the rez, been dead a few weeks. Fronts are indicators and what I look at first, big fronts have big curls, a straight front is short, 11 or 12 inches on what you might think is a biggish bull... these fronts are 20 to 22 inches. I guessed him at 368, brought a tape the next day and he roughed out at 372.

Kent
Posted By: RHutch Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/06/22
Nice bulls both
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: What’s this bull score? - 02/06/22
He is a beautiful bull, I was thinking 320 but maybe i am being to generous. He beats any of the ones have have killed.
340-350 gross (-10" net) is my guess. Nice long tines add up.
Posted By: XBOLT51 Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/11/22
288 5/8
Posted By: navlav8r Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/11/22
I’d be shooting for sure 😊
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/11/22
Like many before me I would go 310- 320, he is light, and tops are not long. I have been lucky to have seen several bigger.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Like many before me I would go 310- 320, he is light, and tops are not long. I have been lucky to have seen several bigger.

That's pretty close I'd say.
Posted By: MAC Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/12/22
Maybe 320 and that is being generous. Weak tops. A really big bull will have a Y of the 5th and 6th point that is as wide as the 4th point is long. The 4th point is called the sword point and is usually the longest point on the rack
Posted By: sidepass Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/12/22
How did he score on the dinner plate?
Posted By: mbhunt Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/12/22
I'm in the 300-310 camp. Nice bull.
Posted By: XBOLT51 Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/13/22
no way he goes 320 he might tweak 290 maybe 300 if you stretch the tape but i'm still gonna go with 280-288 range he doesnt have enough mass or width to make 320 or more
Posted By: pete53 Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/14/22
close too 300 + or - ? nice mount , decent horns , congrats ,most guys probably never will get a bull that big. enjoy the mount .
Yep 300 give or take a bit. Let us know if you measure him up
Posted By: XBOLT51 Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/28/22
lwt us know what he scores
Posted By: XBOLT51 Re: What’s this bull score? - 04/28/22

For comparison,

you measured wrongu no way those bull go 345/360 not even close hahaaha
the first pic maybe a tight 320-325maybe the second one 295-300 max
Posted By: wyosteve Re: What’s this bull score? - 05/01/22
I'm also in the right around 300 group. Not a lot of mass and back forks are smallish.
Posted By: PSH Re: What’s this bull score? - 05/08/22
Imo, long points, weak mass, but my gut said 320 off the cuff at the beginning. On the hoof or off it can be tough. Helped a buddy that killed a 7 years ago. Knew he was good, but after taping him and coming up with 398, we looked at one another and thought no way. Taped him again and were within 1/4. I couldn't believe he was that big. Two others killed that year went 398, and 408 respectfully. Two of us screwed up the 408 with a bow, he was killed with a rifle. He was deceiving, he didn't look that big, but he had so much mass on his mains that hiss points looked short. He was as big around as a coke can most of the way up,
Neither me or my buddies can score an elk. But we all can count he's a 6x6 and he looks good on your wall & I bet he was good in the freezer too. smile
Posted By: shrapnel Re: What’s this bull score? - 05/09/22
What does any bull score? It is hard to say without some perspective measurements to guess. I would have guessed the original bull on this thread at around 300, but his score sheet says different.

Here are some of ours. The first 3 are the same elk, but may score differently from the perspective you have when viewing it. Net is about 318.

The next bull is a 6X6, but not 300, the next is 380 and many have seen bigger bulls.

then a couple of my son's archery kills, a 300 and 350 bull. Just how easy is it to score an elk?

© 24hourcampfire