Home
Posted By: JamesJr Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22
Anybody get lucky this year? I can't find any results, but I'm not holding my breath about my chances. Been putting in for a tag since the draw first started, and have yet to draw one.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Anybody get lucky this year? I can't find any results, but I'm not holding my breath about my chances. Been putting in for a tag since the draw first started, and have yet to draw one.

same story here. I gave up a few years ago.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22
When I found out how crooked and corrupt the Elk draw is, I quit pissing away money on it.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
When I found out how crooked and corrupt the Elk draw is, I quit pissing away money on it.

I have been tempted to do so, and probably should. But, I keep thinking that some day the odds will be on my side. However, there is no doubt that KDFWR is a crooked azz bunch, and caters to the people that give it the best publicity.
Posted By: Bigvalleyboy Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22

Can you elaborate on this because apparently I've been pissing away my $ since 2012.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22
I know of a local family who has members who have been drawn multiple times. The wife, the kids, etc. Amazing to know the patriarch was a commissioner. Fish and Wildlife holds tags for favors, raffles them and then keep up with the big "draw" every year.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/15/22
Its pretty funny how a lot of these "hunting shows" tend to draw Kentucky tags and most if not all of the "Hunters" are from out of state.
Similar schitt happens here in Michigan with our elk draw.

My buddy was a salesman for Hewlett Packard for years. They got the bid for the DNR hunting and fishing license machines. After it was all done the DNR asked him if he wanted to be drawn for an elk tag. Dumfuk said he had no interest in killing an elk.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/16/22
I know of a local family who has members who have been drawn multiple times. The wife, the kids, etc. Amazing to know the patriarch was a commissioner. Fish and Wildlife holds tags for favors, raffles them and then keep up with the big "draw" every year.

This is the state where members of the legislature mysteriously get UK basketball tickets for free. Comes as no surprise that the elk draw may just be a teensy bit corrupt.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/16/22
That's why I won't run for the legislature. I'd rather have a fever blister than have to go to a UK basketball game.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/16/22
That's why I won't run for the legislature. I'd rather have a fever blister than have to go to a UK basketball game.

I got student tickets over 50 years ago. Saw Rupp and Issel. IMO, current day UK basketball doesn't compare to that.
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/16/22
I have put in a few times but also felt it was a fishy draw. Same for moose tags in New Hampshire. Seems a few guido sounding families seem to get Lucky every year with several families members drawing tags in several zones and seasons. You would come out cheaper to go poach one. If you got caught the fines would be less then paying for twenty years of lost money waiting to draw.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I have put in a few times but also felt it was a fishy draw. Same for moose tags in New Hampshire. Seems a few guido sounding families seem to get Lucky every year with several families members drawing tags in several zones and seasons. You would come out cheaper to go poach one. If you got caught the fines would be less then paying for twenty years of lost money waiting to draw.

You don't get to keep the meat or antlers if caught poaching.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/17/22
Not selected. I guess I went about it the wrong way, should have told them I had a hunting show.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/17/22
Not selected. I guess I went about it the wrong way, should have told them I had a hunting show.

Should have filled out your application using Jackie Bushman as the name and an Alabama address, you would have drawn. grin
Posted By: gbear Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/17/22
I know of a local fellow in his 20’s who drew 2 yrs ago….went with an outfitter and killed a nice bull. Just a regular guy who applied.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by gbear
I know of a local fellow in his 20’s who drew 2 yrs ago….went with an outfitter and killed a nice bull. Just a regular guy who applied.

Quite a bit more of that would happen if they ran the draw fairly.
Posted By: eric1186 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/18/22
I didn’t draw either. I’ve wasted $10 on less…
Posted By: Region6 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by eric1186

Same boat here. I am glad to know the elk are in Kentucky and expanding.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by eric1186

Me too. I don't buy lottery tickets, and a chance to kill an elk in state is worth taking a chance on. I just wish the draw was run a little bit better though.
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/23/22
I applied for both bull and cow tags. I drew neither.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/23/22
I sent Pat and Nicole a message asking how they get a Kentucky elk tag nearly every year and they didn’t respond.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
I sent Pat and Nicole a message asking how they get a Kentucky elk tag nearly every year and they didn’t respond.

It may be Nicole that's responsible................just saying, if you catch my drift.
Posted By: pointer Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/23/22
I'm guessing a whole lot of those shows are not getting their tags through the draws, but from landowners given tags to give/sell at their discretion.
I didn’t get drawn either. I’ve put in every year since inception and never been drawn.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
have put in every year since they started around 1998-2000, never got drawn .but wifes cousins family member got drawn .He just a reguler Joe from Eastern Ky
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by pointer
I'm guessing a whole lot of those shows are not getting their tags through the draws, but from landowners given tags to give/sell at their discretion.

From what I've been told, KDFWR has tags that are sold to companies or individuals who are willing to spend the big bucks to do so. These tags are the ones that end up in the hands of the hunting celebrities. Never forget this.........KDFWR is all about money, and the more publicity that Kentucky elk hunting generates, the more money they will be raking in.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
James I agree. I used to put in every year when they first opened it... then as they promoted it more and more, it got unobtainable.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
I'll be going into this Michigan Elk draw with 20 trys this, but so will a bunch of others!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
F all these non-tradition elk states. The have a herd of 2 elk and 50 bazillion hunters who want one of those two big ones. Pure BS.
Posted By: JJWise Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
Applied for bull and cow tags 0/2. This was my first year applying, I was planning to use my points in Wyoming but my wife is due in November…

I do believe I heard that KY is going to implement a system for loyal applicants similar to points systems out west though, maybe odds will start getting better for those who have put in for a while.
Posted By: pointer Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by JJWise
Applied for bull and cow tags 0/2. This was my first year applying, I was planning to use my points in Wyoming but my wife is due in November…

I do believe I heard that KY is going to implement a system for loyal applicants similar to points systems out west though, maybe odds will start getting better for those who have put in for a while.
Just going to make it all but impossible for those not on the ground floor. Though I participate in many point systems in many states, I detest them. Random draw is the only fair way IMO.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/24/22
REAL, FAIR, random draw which has never taken place to date in Kentucky.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 05/25/22
REAL, FAIR, random draw which has never taken place to date in Kentucky.

Well, KY Fish & Wildlife has completely fugged the turkey population and turkey season, has basically turned deer season into one big archery hunt (screw the firearms hunters), for years had absolutely ridiculous varmint regulations, and currently has absolutely ridiculous bear regulations - if there is a way they could screw up elk season, you know they would get it done.
Posted By: Stilllearning Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 06/27/22

The only person I know that has ever been drawn lives in your front yard
Posted By: country_20boy Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 06/27/22
I drew a late season cow tag last year after 4-5 years of applying. I was not successful due to a number of factors including guide incompetence and very warm weather.

After listening to some of the locals discussions, I probably won’t waste my money again. They all believe that the KYFW is crooked in the draw system just as some of you have said. They also said that KYFW had trapped some elk in the area we were hunting for relocation but continued to issue the same number of tags so the population was way down……

As usual with state govt, money is the only thing that matters…..
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 06/28/22
Originally Posted by Stilllearning

The only person I know that has ever been drawn lives in your front yard

LOL..........he must have gotten luck from his mama, because he didn't get it from me. I know a person from Logan County who got drawn several years ago.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 06/28/22
I put in every year. I know it's corrupt as hell, but for two gallons of gas, it's not a crazy spend.

Hell, I drive 2000 miles each way to hunt elk every year. Would be nice to stay within 4-500miles and hunt elk.
Posted By: lastround Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 07/14/22
I drew a gun tag for a cow elk in 2010. Got a nice cow.
Posted By: lastround Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 07/14/22
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I didn’t get drawn either. I’ve put in every year since inception and never been drawn.

I just saw this. Sorry again SAS.
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 09/18/22
I got drawn in 2018 and got one. Elk herd has been hit hard with too many tags and KDFW shipping elk to other states. If you want a decent chance at a Bull you almost need to use an outfitter and they are not cheap. What really blows is that you can get drawn, but then not get an area your guide has access too. The whole process is a joke. I haven't put in since I got mine in 2018.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: lastround Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 09/19/22
I didn’t apply this year for the first time in a long time. Too many health problems this year, but I hope to get back on the wagon again next year. We’ll see.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 10/22/22
I got drawn for a cow archery tag 9 years ago. Hunted public land and had several opportunities but never could get it done with my longbow. Was in elk most every day, but anything that could go wrong went wrong.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 10/22/22
Ask Steve Rinella! Hell he got a tag and didn’t even have to enter into the draw….

I’ll never apply in KY because I have no celeb status.
Posted By: ld7009 Re: Kentucky Elk Draw - 11/17/22
I live in Ky took 6 years to get drawn for cow Elk. There are so many people in Ky alone and out of state putting into drawing. Chance of getting drawn are slim for everyone. Don’t give up. Bow hunt are the best odds not to many put in for hunt. But I have always put in for Bull and Cow rifle. Got drawn 9 years ago. There is a small number of Bulls and Cows to be drawn. Once drawn example Bull you cannot be drawn again for 3 years. It might be longer now I don’t know
© 24hourcampfire