Home
Posted By: BKinSD Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
F*** Now what?

I've been putting in for points figuring I'd take up archery at some point in the future. Well, the future just hit. I was pretty sure I'd put in for just a point but apparently I've got a tag coming. Yay me. I have a place to stay, a place to go, know what I'm doing with elk generally but I guess I'll be spending the summer getting and learning how to shoot a bow. Yikes.
Posted By: 805 Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
Congrats!! A hills elk tag will certainly be fun! I would recommend you practice and learn to cow call also. Even better find a friend to be your caller and you guys will have a blast chasing rutting bulls.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
You can only buy preference points starting in September now, not when you apply. The new website is not very user friendly in my opinion. Good luck on your hunt, the best hunt in the hills.
I should clarify that when you apply you can check the box to automatically get preference point if you don’t get drawn. But you can’t get preference only during the application for a license.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
The new website stinks that is for sure. GFP leadership is chasing people they want to get involved at the expense of people who already are involved. I've seen lots of business failures caused by chasing new customers and banking on loyalty from existing customers to carry through. Time will tell how this works out.
Learning to shoot a bow has become really easy. Don't sweat it. Congrats on the tag.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
Thanks I kinda think it will be the least difficult part.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
Good luck, I’m setting myself up for the next round of disappointment and applying for cow tags. I wish I could convince my wife to move a whole 40 miles to Wyoming.

I’d find yourself a good bow shop and practice up. Heavy arrows, fixed blade heads.
Posted By: CRS Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/09/22
Congratulations BK! One of the best tags in the country IMO. What unit?

Good friend drew his rifle tag after 29 years.

I just put in for a rifle cow tag. Figuring I would never draw another any elk before being wheelchair bound. grin

When I am eligible for archery again, will do the same.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/10/22
H3! I've got a place to stay, a place to hunt, know generally how to go about it, but no bow or arrows! Hahaha.

Which unit did he draw? Good luck on the cow tag!
Posted By: CRS Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/10/22
We both drew H2. Not super familiar with H3. Only time I hunted down there is when I drew my bighorn sheep tag.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Black Hills archery tag - 06/10/22
This sort of reminded me of the hot water heater response a couple days back. Why would one want to heat hot water?

learn to cow call also

With a Black Hills tag, I'd want to call in bulls.
© 24hourcampfire