Home
Posted By: bellydeep 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
….is nowhere to be found, save for a few boxes of core-lokts and some ELD-Xs.

So WTH, did all the ammo companies decide to quit loading 338 at the same time? I get the shortages, and runs, etc, but I never thought almost EVERYTHING would be unavailable.

I guess I’ll see how 225gr core-lokts kill elk. In a gun that big, bullet selection can’t be too particular.
Posted By: Sheister Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
If you're one of the guys who prefers to shoot elk within 250 yards, relative accuracy isn't really critical. Core loks may seem pretty pedestrian but I've seen them kill just about every animal I can think of and recovered a bunch of them for guys and they always had a perfect mushroom. They shoot very well in a lot of rifles also... give them a try and see how they shoot in your rifle.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
I'm with Bob, if they shoot, I wouldn't worry too much them working fine.
Posted By: memtb Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
Assuming that they have decent accuracy from your rifle, you could do far worse than the CoreLock! It will work fine as long as you don’t try an extreme “raking” shot! JMO. memtb
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
Don't know about Core-Lokt's but I wouldn't worry.
I do know Hornady 225 Spire Points work just fine!
Posted By: Judman Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
They perform nicely in a 338. 👍
Posted By: Springcove Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
I have not seen 338 win mag in over 2 years. I asked the Barnes rep at the Hunting Expo last year about it. He said they had finally got primers and brass to manufacture. They are here in Utah and I still haven’t seen any.

They have become a unicorn 🦄
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
Interesting. I just saw 200 rounds yesterday when going through my ammo supply. I haven't had to look for factory 338wm in more than 20 years.. With that being said, there's no elk that the 338 225gr coreloct will bounce off of. I'd use them if that is all I had. Now really isn't the time to be worried about finding ammo for elk season though. I would have been on that way in advance. When was the last time you shot that rifle????
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
Not just ammo. Try to find a new production 338 win mag rifle that's not a mossberg, savage, or ruger.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Not just ammo. Try to find a new production 338 win mag rifle that's not a mossberg, savage, or ruger.

Why, when there are so many good used rifles out there? Ruger m77's, pre 64 Winchester model 70's, and classic model 70's... Just sayin.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/23/22
post deleted
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/24/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Now really isn't the time to be worried about finding ammo for elk season though. I would have been on that way in advance. When was the last time you shot that rifle????

I know.

I reload and have another .338, but we moved a few months ago and all of my reloading stuff is packed up and I want to use my new rifle.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/24/22

Why, when there are so many good used rifles out there? Ruger m77's, pre 64 Winchester model 70's, and classic model 70's... Just sayin.

That’s what I did. Found a classic stainless 70, had the 26” barrel cut back to 23” and put it in a bansner stock that I finished myself.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/24/22

With some exceptions prices for used are not much below new, so
Posted By: Bugger Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/24/22
Even though core-lokts have changed over the years, they always worked for me. I'd guess roughly have the elk I've killed was with the 338.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/26/22

That's true but lots of models aren't in production or discontinued. If your an lefty like me it's used unless your paying for soemthing custom or semi custom. I'm just darn lucky to have found a new Ruger 338RCM some years back and more recently an Ruger 338win and Winchester M70 338win. All lefties BTW. Availability is an huge issue past few years.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/26/22

Used gun Prices are way below new prices. You just have to be smart and find the deals..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That’s what I did. Found a classic stainless 70, had the 26” barrel cut back to 23” and put it in a bansner stock that I finished myself.

Sounds damn near perfect. Hard to go wrong with a classic model 70. Blued or stainless, either one.
Posted By: 8mmwapiti Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/27/22
Belly,.

I hunted and killed many elk with an 8mm Rem Mag shooting a 220 grain Hornady interlock. The interlock is not substantially different from the core lock. Keep your shots within reason for what ever accuracy you get from the core locks and hunt with confidence. I shoot elk with a 7mm 162 grain ELDX these days and am here to tell you the ELDX will do the same. You can not go wrong with either bullet.

8mmwapiti
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/28/22
Sounds damn near perfect. Hard to go wrong with a classic model 70. Blued or stainless, either one.

That b!tch ate up a new Burris FFII 3-9x40 tonight.

I guess I’ll see if she can whip a 6x36 Leupold.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
Belly,.

I hunted and killed many elk with an 8mm Rem Mag shooting a 220 grain Hornady interlock. The interlock is not substantially different from the core lock. Keep your shots within reason for what ever accuracy you get from the core locks and hunt with confidence. I shoot elk with a 7mm 162 grain ELDX these days and am here to tell you the ELDX will do the same. You can not go wrong with either bullet.

8mmwapiti

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/28/22

WTH!!!!
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/28/22

That's what I have on my 338 and have had for about 5-6 years now. The 6x36 with dotz. Works well for that set up.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 338 Win Mag - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by beretzs

That's what I have on my 338 and have had for about 5-6 years now. The 6x36 with dotz. Works well for that set up.

Yes, now that I have it on there, I really like the versatility and simplicity. I’ll try and kill an elk with it in about a month.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 338 Win Mag - 10/05/22
This just in !
It's hornady crap but most don't care and will snag it up

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338 Win Mag - 10/05/22
Originally Posted by Swamplord
This just in !
It's hornady crap but most don't care and will snag it up

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

While maybe not my preferred stuff, it'd be better than not hunting, a little grin
Posted By: las Re: 338 Win Mag - 10/09/22
I bought 2 boxes of that Hunter back in early August from Soldotna SW, just cuz it (and nothing else) was there, and I think I must have left a whole box of my Hornady RN 250 reloads at the range this summer. Nowhere to be found, leaving me an even dozen rounds to hunt caribou and moose with, after sight-check.

It prints good. Should work. I've not found Hornady loads to be "crap", but then I'm not an elitist. If it works, it works, it doesn't need to be gold plated and jeweled.... Corelokts are pretty much my go-to, but it's been unobtainium.

I'm "conserving hunting ammo" this year, it seems.

I haven't fired a shot at game..... even "crap" ammo workks for that. smile
© 24hourcampfire