Home
Posted By: Hesp Cow up close - 11/23/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
On Nov 11, at first light. Creeping slowly thru dense forest. Elk was moving thru, passing at a sharp angle to my right . Range about 30 to 35 yds. Savage model 16 , 260 Rem. pushing Badlands Precision 125gr mono at 3039fps. Bullet entered a few inches back behind the left shoulder. It angled across slicing thru the back side of the heart. It passed thru & came to rest just under the hide of the right shoulder. Elk went right down & slid a bit in the snow. Recovered bullet weighted 105grs.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Congrats on the cow!
Posted By: rong Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Good deal,freezer filler
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Good Eatin right there
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Good job on filling the tag and the freezer.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Cow "up close". I thought the op was going to say 5 or 10 yards. I've had them that close. Especially when its raining hard and they look like they don't want to be in that crap as much as I don't...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Congratulations on some fine table fare.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
We'll done, congrats!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Bullet entered a few inches back behind the left shoulder. It angled across slicing thru the back side of the heart. It passed thru & came to rest just under the hide of the right shoulder.

Congrats!
I don't know how many times I've found a bullet under the hide on the far side. That stretchy hide has an amazing ability to stop a bullet, regardless of bullet type. Of course the damage is done once it leaves the body and it often allows you to see your bullet and how it performed.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Congrats on the cow. 30 to 35 yds in dense forest. Sounds like a pretty exciting hunt. Good job.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
didn't appear to expand much for being that close.
Posted By: Deans Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Congrats on some good eating and meat for the freezer.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Awesomeness!!!

I think it expanded as it should.

But the expanded petals were shed.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Looks to me like the bullet performed as advertised.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Cow up close - 11/24/22

If you compare the new bullet to the recovered bullet you will notice a fair amount of the nose has broken off from striking bone going in & thru the far shoulder. What expansion is left on the bullet is about 32 cal now. My experience from using Barnes mono's on elk is that the Barnes has a shorter , tougher nose section.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Cow up close - 11/27/22
Good eating no doubt. Piss poor bullet expansion tho.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cow up close - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Good eating no doubt. Piss poor bullet expansion tho.
Look at the bullet length compared to a new one. It's missing 1/3 of it's length. The petals broke off on the way though. It expanded a LOT.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Cow up close - 11/27/22
Silly Rock Chuck……

Monos B like cup and cores…..

Tents need short…..

Absolutely no floors

P.S.

How bout dem beavers?
Posted By: Oakster Re: Cow up close - 11/27/22

My thoughts too, especially leaving at 3000 fps+
Posted By: fishingnut71 Re: Cow up close - 11/27/22
In my neck of the woods, we all shoot rapid expanding bullets. If you don't put an elk down, then the next-door neighbor that's only 50 yards away will blast it down if it is still standing. Happened many times and it sucks to have to get into a confrontation with another shooter.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Cow up close - 12/10/22
It obviously got the job done, it only lost 20 grs so how many petals it lost are debatable. Sure wouldn't want to use them past 200 yds if that's all they expand at 30.
.mb
© 24hourcampfire