Home
Posted By: Just a Hunter Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/20/22
I want to take my daughter elk hunting with a guide in MT or maybe even out of state, but to save money and time would like to try MT first. Does anyone have any suggestion on good outfitters to with in MT.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
When you find one, can you let irfubar know? He could really use some help.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

Spent 7 days in the Bob Marshal 3 yrs ago with a top outfitter.... saw 1 elk... in 7 days... couldn't even blame that on my lack of hunting skill, I followed the guide around
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by irfubar

Spent 7 days in the Bob Marshal 3 yrs ago with a top outfitter.... saw 1 elk... in 7 days... couldn't even blame that on my lack of hunting skill, I followed the guide around

Wolves ate them all...couldn't be the early rut rifle hunt for anyone with a general elk tag though.
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Wolves ate them all...couldn't be the early rut rifle hunt for anyone with a general elk tag though.
30 miles in there were very few local general tag holders... they can't seem to hike that far
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by BuzzH

30 miles in there were very few local general tag holders... they can't seem to hike that far

There used to be all kinds of locals that hunted it, before Montana's population ballooned to a million thanks to a bunch of out of stater's moving in.

It's neat country and a shame what the way the outfitters and MTFWP allowed it to be exploited for profit.

You should have saved some money and just did a summer pack trip.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
So there isn't one.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
Did none of the outfits you got names of when you asked a while back pan out?
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if there weren't any outfitters in the whole state.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Most are full up that I have contacted. Just talked to one this morning that has about a 50% success rate for those willing to do more than road hunt.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Most are full up that I have contacted. Just talked to one this morning that has about a 50% success rate for those willing to do more than road hunt.

If I were to hire an outfitter, I'd want to park my ass in a warm vehicle cab and only get out if I saw something worth shooting at. I'd also expect 5-star dining, a posturepedic bed, some good foot massages each night.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/21/22

If I were to hire an outfitter, I'd want to park my ass in a warm vehicle cab and only get out if I saw something worth shooting at. I'd also expect 5-star dining, a posturepedic bed, some good foot massages each night.

I think you just described deflave's hunt with shrapnel. What did you used to call it? Ichabod's Ranch?
[Linked Image from i235.photobucket.com]

I think you just described deflave's hunt with shrapnel. What did you used to call it? Ichabod's Ranch?
[Linked Image from i235.photobucket.com]

Those two better be careful... a pass through could hit one of those McMansion's in the background!
Those two better be careful... a pass through could hit one of those McMansion's in the background!

So long as one photographs the other pretending to fix a rancher's gate, all is good.
Rising Son Outfitters south of Livingston in Paradise Valley. A big working ranch up against public land, rich with game. It’s a great family operation. It’s not an inexpensive endeavor and I believe that they’re booked through 2025 at this time. However, there are always cancelations too.
Posted By: WAM Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/23/22
Look up Anchor Outfitting in Big Timber/Melville, MT. Rein family ran a great operation I’m assuming they still do.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Rising Son Outfitters south of Livingston in Paradise Valley. A big working ranch up against public land, rich with game. It’s a great family operation. It’s not an inexpensive endeavor and I believe that they’re booked through 2025 at this time. However, there are always cancelations too.

Thank you
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by WAM
Look up Anchor Outfitting in Big Timber/Melville, MT. Rein family ran a great operation I’m assuming they still do.

Thank you
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/25/22
I was recommended Centenial outfitters near Lima by a salesman at Bob Wards in Hamilton.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/25/22
Crow Creek Outfitters. Hunts the Crazies, outside Bozeman. Mike & Sandy Parsons. 406 267 3458 Several on here, including Mule Deer have hunted with them and have good things to say.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/25/22
Personally if I were going on a guided elk hunt again I would only do so with a outfitters that hunts private land.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 12/25/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: worriedman Re: Elk Outfitters in MT - 01/08/23
Doug Landers with Elk Ridge Outfitters has access to quality private land and offers good fair chase hunts. His guides know the areas and their business (Nick and Frank are good companions as well as great guides). The accommodations are comfortable and the food is great.

I took a cow the first year and the bull in my avatar the second. If you can shoot and are in good shape you should take an animal. You will see elk.
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Crow Creek Outfitters. Hunts the Crazies, outside Bozeman. Mike & Sandy Parsons. 406 267 3458 Several on here, including Mule Deer have hunted with them and have good things to say.

I’ve hunted with CCO also, on travelingman’s recommendation, and I can recommend them also.
© 24hourcampfire