Home
Winter Kill

https://coloradooutdoorsmag.com/2023/03/27/winter-in-the-northwest-part-2/
Time to lower those objectives and print more money... I mean tags.
I may not get a cow tag in unit 4 this year.
Seems like a good time to throw wolves into the mix.
I have 26 preference points for elk and didn't even try for the Unit 2 tag.
Originally Posted by Aviator
I may not get a cow tag in unit 4 this year.

After talking to a couple of CODOW in Steamboat and Meeker, if I was betting prob not. I didn't even apply for GMU 4 for that reason.
I have nothing against tag numbers being reduced. Mother Nature had her say this winter and the moisture is appreciated. Be great if it it was the out of state tags that were cut, but, but, but, a $700 tag is a lot of money to lose. The area has been significantly overrun with hunters for a long time now, 40% less hunters isn't a bad thing.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I have nothing against tag numbers being reduced. Mother Nature had her say this winter and the moisture is appreciated. Be great if it it was the out of state tags that were cut, but, but, but, a $700 tag is a lot of money to lose. The area has been significantly overrun with hunters for a long time now, 40% less hunters isn't a bad thing.

No cuts to OTC tags though. NR's will pick them up instead and then bitch about no elk. Residents like me will bitch about the poor wildlife management or lack there of by CPW. I will be going though, mostly for the fall camping trip.
Originally Posted by saddlesore

No cuts to OTC tags though. NR's will pick them up instead and then bitch about no elk. Residents like me will bitch about the poor wildlife management or lack there of by CPW. I will be going though, mostly for the fall camping trip.

I think this is spot on for both residents and nonres.
https://coloradooutdoorsmag.com/2023/05/11/winter-in-the-northwest-big-game-hunting-license-impacts/

Thanks for posting that
CPW sent out an email yesterday saying tags in the NW area have been drastically reduced. It's one week before they supposed to drawn. I've personally known that tags were going to be reduced thanks to many people here and I'm fine with it. Kinda. I'm fine with it from the standpoint it's good for the wildlife. No issues there. I'm not fine with it from the standpoint that most of the general public did not receive this information until a week before the lottery. Like seriously WTF? This is like putting a road closed sign up directly in front of a missing bridge and the nearest detour is 30 miles behind you. It does zero good to have the information at that point. Tell me earlier so I can adjust my plans accordingly. They knew in March the winter was bad. I, as well as thousands of other people, could have adjusted our first pick for tags to another unit and it would have been a win win. Animals get to recover, and I get a chance at a drawn tag in another unit. Now, it's just a wasted first pick...and yes I know, I get a PP - so does everyone else, so it really means nothing. We all will have +1 point for next year. And for which seasons they are reducing tags...and out of state vs. in state, that's whole different set of disgustingness.
Their excuse was it had to pass thru the CPW Commissioner first on May 1 I think it was. Still, bulletins were sent out earlier, but as you mentioned only a week before the deadline to apply. I emailed them as soon as I heard about it and they said OTC tags would not be affected.Only 1st season, 4th and any late hunts.

They knew darn well early,but they were not going to advertise strongly because then they would lose license sales.

I am in the same boat, as I sent my application in a few weeks before the deadline Being 80years old, I am not interested in points
It was up to a 40% reduction, now I think it's 10 cow tags total.

They stated they had to keep the minimum to accommodate youth and a couple other groups
I drew a tag for unit 214. Hopefully some elk around there this fall.

They stated they had to keep the minimum to accommodate youth and a couple other groups

That makes no sense. They always tout the fact that herd management is driven by the science, not politics.
CPW is just protecting their revenue stream. Go read up on what an “Enterprise Agency” entails. It’s about the money and their jobs.

I’m just glad to be able to go hunt elk with friends that I don’t usually see apart from elk hunting. There have been years in the past that I failed to draw deer tags and season that I didn’t get an elk, but I went hunting in the Rockies with friends and that matters. Our original crew from around 2005 is down to 2 but we have 5 “new” regulars and that’s good!
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m just glad to be able to go hunt elk with friends that I don’t usually see apart from elk hunting. There have been years in the past that I failed to draw deer tags and season that I didn’t get an elk, but I went hunting in the Rockies with friends and that matters. Our original crew from around 2005 is down to 2 but we have 5 “new” regulars and that’s good!

I know exactly how you feel, my long term hunting buddy, who I really miss hunting with, can't go anymore, the other had been taking treatments for cancer and is pretty weak and that looks marginal. My brother who hunted with me for years passed away last fall.

I am just barely hanging on myself, but did draw a deer tag and a ML cow tag
Couldn’t have typed it better, myself.

Originally Posted by WAM
Saddlesore,

Sorry for your losses. Seems like those grief things crop up more during hunting season and holidays.

I thought I was done for in 2020 with cancer treatments and didn’t hunt then, but here I am! Not as good as I once was, and not even as good once as I ever was. 😎

Good luck hunting!
The thought of skipping even one hunting season is beyond my rather limited comprehension.

I've been way too close to death, precisely twice......one of my own making and another beyond my control.

Perhaps the third time will be the charm.

Definitely no second-place trophies.

You fight and win.......or you lose.

Don't get arrogant, though. You may win the battle, remember who wins the war.

Hunt elk to your last year. Side-by-side, if needed.

Apply for left-over, WY hunt-area 7 cow elk.

Originally Posted by WAM
Saddlesore,

Sorry for your losses. Seems like those grief things crop up more during hunting season and holidays.

I thought I was done for in 2020 with cancer treatments and didn’t hunt then, but here I am! Not as good as I once was, and not even as good once as I ever was. 😎

Good luck hunting!
I am fully aware of my mortality these days.

But like you, I can’t fathom giving up a hunting season as long as I remain vertical, not at this point.
We'll never make it out alive!

Send for a left-over WY zone 7 cow tag.

Even if you don't like me......humility often skips generations.

Originally Posted by WAM
I am fully aware of my mortality these days.

But like you, I can’t fathom giving up a hunting season as long as I remain vertical, not at this point.
I will be 80 in August. I am on Supplemental Oxygen, wear two knee braces, and have a heart monitor embedded in my chest.

In the last 47 years. I have missed one elk season. That was in 2022 when I had the stroke a month before ML season.Ten years before that in NM I missed darn few.

I plan on going this year.
A dedicated sportsman, IMHO.

Talked with a gentleman in zone 7 (December, 2021) that was 79 years old......after he just packed a cow elk out.

Told him he would live to 100, if he kept this stuff up. His son in law promptly piped up he hoped not, good for a laugh.

He moved from Jackson to Sheridan, when things got stupid. Interesting individual.

I will be 80 in August. I am on Supplemental Oxygen, wear two knee braces, and have a heart monitor embedded in my chest.

In the last 47 years. I have missed one elk season. That was in 2022 when I had the stroke a month before ML season.Ten years before that in NM I missed darn few.

I never said I didn’t like you! LOL

I also never said you didn’t post dumbass things arguing with some of the jerkoff numbnuts on here!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣
You'd like the youngsters much better.

They'd pack your elk out........mine too!

#5 son and his 2022 bull, zone 7, public.

Attached picture F49825C9-5C73-46B1-B40C-3481062A12F7.jpeg
He always prefers to shoot them the last 30 minutes of the hunting day.

Always fun quartering by the headlamps.

Attached picture 37C5AE3D-D569-46A7-8211-5C45EDBA368E.jpeg
For EM011O1R, pp830 of the Draw Recap:
Im from here and for the 2nd time in my life, i wont be elk hunting. 1st time was for a OIF/OEF deployment, this time it's because the CPW places a higher value on non resident hunters than someone thats from here. No NR should draw with a 3rd choice over a resident that put in as a 1st or 2nd choice. Thats what happened for 46 NRs that applied as a third choice...There shouldn't have been ANY NR licenses issued that were 2nd or higher choice. It's sickening...

Of all of the residents that applied this year (includes 4th choice) 64% drew a licenses. Of all of the non residents that applied (includes 4th choice), 71% drew a license. The CPW "post draw successful box" states residents had a 40% success rate while non residents had a 55% success rate. These are percent rates. If you look at raw numbers, 1916 NR drew v 1395 for residents.

CPW needs to go away and we need to start over. Problem is, hunters don't have the political clout to effect change in Denver or with CPW and so we have effectively been cleaved into the pot of "you will take what we give you and you will like it".
AND furthermore!! 2nd and 3rd seasons are now 5 days in the "effected" NW units. How long until CPW keeps it that way (or adopts it for the whole state) and adds another 5 day season?
Im shocked that they don't already force everyone to apply online for a license. I spend WAY more to apply for me and my family every year than i do for the licenses they issue to us.
The current Colorado non-resident preference-point system is the worst.......even if you frequent their 'shops'.

Their Game politicians must be on something stronger.

Salute! 💪
Shouldn't you be tugging on outcome-based scenarshooter, SKane?

Originally Posted by SKane
Salute! 💪
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

That would be preferable to tugging on your Werner.

Salute! 💪

Yawn.

You bring nothing to this place unless there was a call-for-pricks-thread that most of us overlooked.
But congratulations on learning to post a pict - it's been a big week for you.
It's not a pic.......it's an 'attachment' from the phone. So happy you looked. Could be more!!!!
How is scenarshooter doing? Geritol working?
TFF!

Salute! 💪

Yawn.

You bring nothing to this place unless there was a call-for-pricks-thread that most of us overlooked.
But congratulations on learning to post a pict - it's been a big week for you.
Never expose your fantasy......online. Ever!
Surely no more pics coming!
TFF!
Originally Posted by smokepole

That would be preferable to tugging on your Werner.

Or your Werner.
Is that you speaking......or Burns?

Friggin' covert operations.

TFF!

Or your Werner.
Are you saying your Werner burns?

Best get that checked at the free clinic.
Better quality bath salts recommended.

Do you find yourself identifying with Hunter Biden?

Good sign.......for a therapist.

Are you saying your Werner burns?

Best get that checked at the free clinic.

Which bath salts do you use Mike?
I shower! If you don't mind, will refrain from any details.

Which bath salts do you use Mike?
Thank you.
Read the rules and guidance for reading the recap.

If you applied for that hunt code as a first or second choice, you need to contact CPW.
© 24hourcampfire