Home
Posted By: GSSP Utah Draw - 05/31/23
Last week, just before shutting down my work computer to head out for the long weekend I checked my email and my heart skipped a beat. Opening the email from the Utah DWR was the email i'd been waiting on for 12 long years. I drew a late season Manti unit Limited Entry bull elk tag. Gotta make this one happen because at my age, I dought i'll ever draw another limited entry bull tag in my life time. Spent the weekend reassembling my 300 PRC, mounting the scope, checking all the torque settings and checking my zero. Now to verify dope and practice, scout, practice and scout some more in the next 5-1/2 months.

Alan
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Utah Draw - 05/31/23
Awesome! Sounds like you're ready and excited to make use of that tag. Keep us posted on your scouting.
Posted By: ElkSnort Re: Utah Draw - 06/01/23
Alan, I drew that tag with 11 points in 2018. Because of the fires in that area and second-guessing my hunt choice, I decided to return the tag. Crazy, right? Well I rolled the dice and hit the jackpot in 2019, drawing the early Monroe rifle with only 12 points! I was successful taking a 9.5 yo 6x6 bull ~332pts. I feel quite fortunate after doing what I did! I won't ever put back a LE tag again IF I can ever draw one before it's too late!

That said, I'm very eager to hear of your success in that unit this year. Please let us know how it goes for you.

Kevin in Lehi
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Utah Draw - 06/01/23
Congrats! Best of luck!

I cashed in 18 points for a LaSal archery bull tag this year. This new elk structure has me a tad worried about the future quality. The LaSals are my home field and I’m really looking forward to the hunt.

I found out the other day I also scored a Colorado cow moose tag. I’m pretty excited for this fall!

Todd
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Utah Draw - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by Justahunter
Congrats! Best of luck!

I cashed in 18 points for a LaSal archery bull tag this year. This new elk structure has me a tad worried about the future quality. The LaSals are my home field and I’m really looking forward to the hunt.

I found out the other day I also scored a Colorado cow moose tag. I’m pretty excited for this fall!

Todd

Good luck !

LaSal's are sure a purty snow capped range...prob most of this summer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Utah Draw - 06/02/23
How was the winter kill in those areas? Or is it too early to tell yet?

I opted to just buy my 21st point this spring, heard scary stories of a devastating winter kill.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Utah Draw - 06/02/23
The science says deep snows don't effect elk the way it does deer. Drought is what effects elk. Yes, too early to know for sure.
© 24hourcampfire