Home
Posted By: doc3360 Plains Elk - 09/24/23
I’ve never elk hunted. My son and I have a hunt booked for mid Nov for plains elk. Anyone with experience!
Posted By: doc3360 Re: Plains Elk - 09/24/23
Easter Colorado btw
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Plains Elk - 09/25/23
Private land, I hope?
Posted By: doc3360 Re: Plains Elk - 09/25/23
Yessir
Posted By: MAC Re: Plains Elk - 09/25/23
I grew up in CO. One of the biggest bulls I have ever seen in the state was out by Wray, CO in a small canyon. He was an absolute monster and was on property I had permission to hunt but this was before they had the Eastern Plains elk season that runs for months. Back then the plains fell in the regular season structure and it wasn't going on at the time. Of course when the season opened the bull was nowhere to be found. He may have even been in KS because the ranch I saw him on was less than 7 miles from the state line.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Plains Elk - 09/25/23
Here's a bull my nephew kilt a few years ago. east of Trinidad
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

mine from last year. just south of Deer Trail on the ranch I run
Posted By: pal Re: Plains Elk - 09/25/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22
...mine from last year. just south of Deer Trail on the ranch I run

Nice photo.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
No experience, but the biggest bulls I have ever seen, I saw in a group of 5 in July in the plains near Gardner CO.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
A lot of southern Idaho wintering areas are out in the sagebrush flats. There are a few late cow hunts. The elk might be on private land but they can be on public land, too. I've got my last 3 elk on flat, +/-, public land near private land.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
Hey huntsman, love the elk and the story you posted about the harvest, but those heelers steal the show man. I can tell by a pic or two you've taken with them they are with you 24/7. Very cool. Hijack over. Plains elk? Bucket list for me. Seen some good bulls east of cimarron new mexico every October. Not colorado, but plains anyways. Some good bulls roam out there, just have to catch one out in the open on ground you can hunt. Right place, right time.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
Uhh, Paul...... the flats around Gardner is not considered 'plains'....... This is concerning the ground east of I-25......
Posted By: sandpit Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
Don, last time i talked to you ,you was slaying elk with the 260. Still using it?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
Only if I have to carry it very far, as that little Kimber weighs nothing. The Creed and PRC in my customs get used more now, but are way heavier.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
I have never hunted elk in the plains though I have seen plenty. Most but not all plains elk herds I am aware of are very tough draws or a guy needs access to private. They seem to do well in that environment and grow some impressive antlers.

Good luck, in any case.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Plains Elk - 09/26/23
The Lewis and Clark party ate elk from the winter with the Mandans in North Dakota all the way across the plains to the mountains. They ran into food problems in the mountains as it was winter and the elk had migrated out.
Posted By: doc3360 Re: Plains Elk - 09/28/23
Thanks everyone, we are hunting close to LaJunta, Co. A friend recommended the outfitter and has been hunting with him every couple of years at this location and taking 3-4 buddies. He says they have usually all had shots at 280-320 kinda bulls with some bigger on a few occasions and that its a fun hunt. My son wanted to book the hunt for us to go together and he hasn't been that interested in hunting in the last few years due to business and family so I'm very excited he wants to reengage. He bought him a new Tika 300 winmag and has been practicing alot so I am hoping he gets opportunities. Appreciate the replies.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Plains Elk - 09/28/23
Sounds like a great trip to me, and I also hope you two have solid opportunities there!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Plains Elk - 09/28/23
Our prairie elk opportunities are expanding in this state all the time. Used to be a few small units and now there are more west river acres in elk units than not. They are proving hard to hunt, as obtaining permission to hunt them where they are at right now can be a problem for non-locals. They are well fed and do achieve amazing sizes due to nutrition being superior to that found in more mountainous regions.
© 24hourcampfire