Home
Posted By: Godogs57 New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Told a few friends today that Lady Luck kissed me full on the mouth. Got a nice 7x7 yesterday on the opposite side of a drainage/steep draw. That morning we had a group of cows and a bull that we jumped and they hauled butt, dumping off into the steep drop off. He looked good but I had no idea how good. Rush up to the rim and looked over into the timber and oak brush, obviously not expecting to see anything. In a minute or so I could spot the cows making their way up the other side. Eventually I spotted the bull milling around the cows! 350 yards away on the rangefinder and about 30-45 degrees down slope if I wanted to take a shot. Now or never. Got a good steady rest and let fly. He dropped on the spot! My guide and I were thinking “How in the dickens are we going to find this bull?”. We can see it but in a jungle of trees but of course, everything will look totally different making our way down the draw. My guide then pulled magic out of his hat. I’d never seen this trick but I’m sure most of you have. He shot the bull with his rangefinder. Confirmed 350 yards. Took out his cell phone with some GIS type app (I forgot the name. Base Map?), aimed it at the bull and “dropped” a pin on the bull at 350 yards. Never seen that. Pure rocket science to this old fart.We walked down the drain and up the other side and it took us within 20 feet of the dang bull.

Getting him out of the jungle was a four hour ordeal. Vital statistics of the hunt: Sako 338 Win Mag. 225 grain Accubond at 2805 fps. 75 grains of RL-19. Scored by a certified B&C scorer at 354 0/8”. 7x7

My old knees and legs thank you for looking.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Westman Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Awesome. He's a super nice bull. Congrats!!!!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
I enjoyed your story and picture. That is a bull to be proud of. Good eats. Congratulations.

L.W.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Congrats!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Way to godogs....
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Beautiful bull - congrats to you. But you forgot to take a picture of the knife used to break down that bull - maybe one of yours wink
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
My guide then pulled magic out of his hat. I’d never seen this trick but I’m sure most of you have. He shot the bull with his rangefinder. Confirmed 350 yards. Took out his cell phone with some GIS type app (I forgot the name. Base Map?), aimed it at the bull and “dropped” a pin on the bull at 350 yards. Never seen that. Pure rocket science to this old fart.We walked down the drain and up the other side and it took us within 20 feet of the dang bull.
OnX will do that although I don't know if works the same way. You use the compass feature to get the bearing, then use the rangefinder feature to slide the pointer up or down to match your rangefinder's reading. I haven't had a need to use it in the field yet. I guess I should practice with it next time I'm out in the hills.
Posted By: Deans Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Congrats on the bull!!
Great bull. Congrats and thanks for sharing
Posted By: EdM Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Well done.
Posted By: handwerk Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Congrats, what a beautiful bull!
Posted By: SKane Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Awesome bull, Hank! Congrats!!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Beautiful bull. Where did you hit him? Pass through?
Posted By: KillerBee Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Stellar Elk Godogs57, congratulations!! cool
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Congrats. Beautiful bull! You suck 😜
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Beautiful bull. Where did you hit him? Pass through?
It was one of those high shoulder tv show shots. However I was way above him and angling the shot down……was not broadside.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Nice Bull! Congrats
Posted By: scottf270 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Great bull. Exactly like one I would like to take. Mind if I ask who you hunted with?
Posted By: MikeS Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/02/23
Very nice! Big congrats.
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Good stuff, congrats

love the 3’rds.

Ps; Now the important stuff, which knife.😂
Posted By: beretzs Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Congrats on a great bull!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Heck yeah bud, that is a stud.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Really good bull. Congratulations! What part of New Mexico were you hunting?
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
What a bull! Congratulations on a fine hunt.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Originally Posted by SLM
Good stuff, congrats

love the 3’rds.

Originally Posted by SLM
Good stuff, congrats

love the 3’rds.

Beautiful bull Hank ! He’s long. I’d be interested to see what he scores.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Nice bull
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Beautiful bull Hank ! He’s long. I’d be interested to see what he scores.
354”
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Awesomeness
Well done.
Posted By: MLF Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Big congratulations. If you are not into apps. Get the range distance and compass azimuth. Leave an orange market visible from that spot. When you get close to where you think the animal is. Use the range finder to get to the exact distance you had ranged. Lastly use the compass back heading to go right or left and it will get you to the animal.Back heading either add or subtract 180 degrees. No negative numbers. Your final heading should be between o and 360 degrees. Your cell phone will also have a compass. I tend to forget numbers, so I write them down or snap photo shoot the heading.
Originally Posted by MLF
Big congratulations. If you are not into apps. Get the range distance and compass azimuth. Leave an orange market visible from that spot. When you get close to where you think the animal is. Use the range finder to get to the exact distance you had ranged. Lastly use the compass back heading to go right or left and it will get you to the animal.Back heading either add or subtract 180 degrees. No negative numbers. Your final heading should be between o and 360 degrees. Your cell phone will also have a compass. I tend to forget numbers, so I write them down or snap photo shoot the heading.
👍
Posted By: smokepole Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Congrats, Godogs.
Posted By: pointer Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Very well done!! Dandy of a bull!
Our son got a nice management bull this morning. I’ll post later on
Posted By: Teeder Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Awesome! Congrats
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Really good bull. Congratulations! What part of New Mexico were you hunting?
55A
Posted By: tater74 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Awesome, especially a double with your son.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Congratulations Hank!

A very nice bull, indeed.

🦫
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Or, just leave one guy watching so he can direct the other to it. Usually someone has a traffic vest or similar so the spotter can keep track of them
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Or, just leave one guy watching so he can direct the other to it. Usually someone has a traffic vest or similar so the spotter can keep track of them
^^^This^^^
Beautiful!
Posted By: jc189 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/03/23
Nice Bull, Congrats.
Posted By: slaptrigger Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Awesome bull, congrats!
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
There are a bunch of things on all the new mapping apps that are helpful.

Have used the compass/rangefinder mentioned and it is really helpful. That along with a pic will get you right there.
Posted By: MikeS Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
For finding a downed animal solo you can also leave your spotting scope behind, set up and focused on the downed animal. When you are on the hillside near the animal, you can confirm your bearing by looking back at the objective of you spotter with your binos. When you can see light thru the objective you are on the correct line/ bearing. This was before the LRF and GPS era but still works.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Originally Posted by SKane
Awesome bull, Hank! Congrats!!

Amen from the back row! Awesome!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Congrats Hank !

What a behemoth.
Posted By: Brad Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Good looking animal, congrats!
Posted By: ROMAC Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Great Bull!
Posted By: Farming Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Hell yeah! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
Great bull, great lookin' blade. Pic of son's bull? Congrats!!!
Posted By: Ken_L Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/04/23
What a great bull! Someday I hope to be able to go elk hunting.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by MikeS
For finding a downed animal solo you can also leave your spotting scope behind, set up and focused on the downed animal. When you are on the hillside near the animal, you can confirm your bearing by looking back at the objective of you spotter with your binos. When you can see light thru the objective you are on the correct line/ bearing. This was before the LRF and GPS era but still works.

Sounds like a great way to lose your spotting scope🤣
Posted By: specneeds Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
Beautiful bull nice going. That is one of those that checks the box for massive bull down.

Some great tips on finding a downed elk in difficult conditions. It’s easier if you have 2 guys & keep your wts about you - solo takes more thinking & sometimes I’m so elated & excited my brain turns off. I’ve used rangefinder to get to 2 cows in very thick oak brush on a steep snowy slope. Both cows dropped on the spot so no blood trail to cross just a slide. Son in law really wanted to move after I found his but stayed put another 15 minutes for mine.

I’ll use these electronic methods hopefully next month if one is in thick timber.
Posted By: CRS Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
Congratulations, what a dandy!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
Great bull and danged good job of gettner done
Mb
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
Wow. That’s a beauty.
Posted By: MikeS Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by MikeS

Sounds like a great way to lose your spotting scope🤣

No other hunters where I pack into and if I am unable to relocate it, I shouldn't be out there anyway. YMMV wink
Posted By: navlav8r Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/05/23
That one was sure worth a bullet…😁. It’s a nice one.
Posted By: GregW Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/06/23
Great job!
Posted By: Scotty Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/06/23
Awesome Bull. Congratulations.
NM grows biguns and you nailed a dandy! Any idea on the weight?
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/14/23
Very good bull and great story. Congratulations!

Regards,
Manny
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/14/23
Originally Posted by splittinghairs
NM grows biguns and you nailed a dandy! Any idea on the weight?
884 per the carcass weight chart used that day.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/15/23
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Told a few friends today that Lady Luck kissed me full on the mouth. Got a nice 7x7 yesterday on the opposite side of a drainage/steep draw. That morning we had a group of cows and a bull that we jumped and they hauled butt, dumping off into the steep drop off. He looked good but I had no idea how good. Rush up to the rim and looked over into the timber and oak brush, obviously not expecting to see anything. In a minute or so I could spot the cows making their way up the other side. Eventually I spotted the bull milling around the cows! 350 yards away on the rangefinder and about 30-45 degrees down slope if I wanted to take a shot. Now or never. Got a good steady rest and let fly. He dropped on the spot! My guide and I were thinking “How in the dickens are we going to find this bull?”. We can see it but in a jungle of trees but of course, everything will look totally different making our way down the draw. My guide then pulled magic out of his hat. I’d never seen this trick but I’m sure most of you have. He shot the bull with his rangefinder. Confirmed 350 yards. Took out his cell phone with some GIS type app (I forgot the name. Base Map?), aimed it at the bull and “dropped” a pin on the bull at 350 yards. Never seen that. Pure rocket science to this old fart.We walked down the drain and up the other side and it took us within 20 feet of the dang bull.

Getting him out of the jungle was a four hour ordeal. Vital statistics of the hunt: Sako 338 Win Mag. 225 grain Accubond at 2805 fps. 75 grains of RL-19. Scored by a certified B&C scorer at 354 0/8”. 7x7

My old knees and legs thank you for looking.

That is a great bull! Nicely done.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/17/23
Beautiful elk. Congratulations. I'll be hunting them in new Mexico beginning Nov 10th.
Posted By: GregW Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/17/23
Great job man...
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Beautiful elk. Congratulations. I'll be hunting them in new Mexico beginning Nov 10th.
Best of luck Hotsoup!
Posted By: twdjr Re: New Mexico elk success - 10/29/23
Great looking bull, Congrats!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: New Mexico elk success - 11/06/23
Nice!
That is a bull of a lifetime. Excellent Job!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: New Mexico elk success - 11/07/23
Jealous here! Great bull.
© 24hourcampfire