Home
Posted By: JBoutfishn Wyoming Outfitters - 10/16/07
Can anyone here recomend an outfitter in Wyoming. I have been researching the subject and noted that some had great looking web sites and pictures but reading between the lines I found they were putting you up in a local motel and were essentially road hunting. Not the elk hunt I am looking for.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: jackfish Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/16/07
http://www.doubletoutfitters.com/

Under new ownership but it looks like Kerry knew who he was selling it to. Check with the references.
Posted By: muledeer Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/17/07
Contact the K bar Z north of Cody. They have wilderness horseback hunts in the North Absoroka and hunts out of their lodge. They're not pretentious; they're just good hunters, guides and outfitters. I was a part-time guide for them for nine years, so got to see the operation from the inside.

www.agonline.com/KBarZ/

Good luck...

DN
Posted By: sledder Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/17/07
The reason these guys hunt people out of motels,is because they only have day use permits in many cases and can't stay over night with nonresidents in a camp.

If you want to hunt in the cody area.I'd give Greg Turner a call. I don't have his number but you can find it in the wyoming outfitters website under his name. He's a good guy and does all of his own guiding with help of one other long time employee. So you don't end up with some reject [bleep] that was hanging sheetrock last week and playing guide this week. He'll provide a full time cook,wrangler and guide.So you won't have to wait on one guy playing all those roles.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/17/07
I just did a WY moose hunt with DiamondJ Outfitters. I would HIGHLY recommend them. They hunt out of Big Piney. Great camp, good camp food. Wall Tents have wooden floors & they have a propane shower stall-----Hot shower is a plus on a 7 day hunt. It's good elk country----I personally saw groups of 50 head of elk with several good bulls. Call Kevin @ 505-334-2829. He's probably still guiding right now. They have good stock---They usually use mules. I didn't have problem one on my moose hunt---which was 10/1 thru 10/8. FYI--I did get a pretty nice moose. CB

They have a website pretty sure it's www.diamondjoutfitters.com
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/18/07
Ron Dube.
Posted By: sledder Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/18/07
Ya ron's pimped his services to a bunch of outdoor writters at a discount. He's largely over rated and over priced.
Posted By: muledeer Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/18/07
Originally Posted by sledder
Ya ron's pimped his services to a bunch of outdoor writters at a discount. He's largely over rated and over priced.

So you're from Wyoming grin?
Posted By: sledder Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/18/07
He's also had plenty of run ins with the forest service,over illegal methods.
Posted By: logger Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/18/07
I've hunted with Bald Mountain Outfitter in Pinedale on 5 different hunts. I've taken mule deer, antelope, and elk (3). The elk hunts are 8 day horseback hunts (6 days hunting) in the wilderness. The Pollards have been doing this for a long time, are very organized and are great people to work with. PM me if you want additional details.
Posted By: Bob338 Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/18/07
Originally Posted by sledder
He's also had plenty of run ins with the forest service,over illegal methods.

And almost single-handedly responsible for the "zero tolerance" policy of the Park Service for any hunting encroachment in Yellowstone.

Contact Wyoming Fish & Game and get the outfitters' list from them, then do your own research. There are many good ones and just as many bad ones. Beware of the recommendations from the one guy who may have had success for his one and only elk, and his one time euphoria.

Undoubtedly this plan is not for this year but for the future. You have at least a year to do your own research.
If you want a true wilderness hunt you won't forget check out the Diamond 4 Ranch- Jim Allen and his family- Lander, Wyoming. He packs into the Popo Agie wilderness area of the Wind River Mountains which is some of the prettiest elk country I have ever seen. Jim's outfit has been named outfitter of the year by both the BLM and the Forest Service.
I used to work for Jim as a packer in the Winds and a wrangler in his hunting camp. He is a top-knotch outfitter that I recommend to family, and his camps are well-run. Make sure you have done your part like getting in shape and lots of practice with your weapon, because one of the first things you will do upon arrival is head to the range.
Posted By: David63 Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/19/07
I just got back from a hunt with Lee Livingston/ Wyoming Adventures. Thgere were three of us that all tagged out, two 330-340 class bulls and one 310 class. His other camp went 5 out of six. This was the first hunt i've been on where the guides had already targeted bulls and already knew where to find them. We were all in elk the first day. Our hunt was a 4 hour ride into camp but then the elk were within a mile of camp. Camp was wall tents and cots. We were a couple of miles from Yellowstone and saw grizzly bear, rams, and mule deer. I would not hesitate to recomend Lee.

We also heard about another outfitter from a local there. He said tim Hockholter at Timber Creek killed as big an elk as anybody.
Try checking up on those two.

Txsparky
Posted By: John55 Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/19/07
+1 for Lee Livingston from Cody. He has a website if you do a search. Good areas up near the park, good people working for him.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
I am sorry to read the negative stuff about Ron Dube. I believe he has re-acquired his guide service in the last year or two.
I know one should be careful with unsubstantiated claims but I am interested if any of you can elaborate. PM's might be prudent?
Thanks.
Posted By: sledder Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
No PM's necessary. He's been run across the state.All my info is directly from one of the forest service employees that wrote some of the fines.

I don't know how or why he has the following of outdoor writters,but he does.

One explanation is Jim Zumbo,his nickname among many,is free hunt zumbo.Zumbo is at the top of his list of referances.Or was.

In fact,I've never met anyone in person that recomends the guy.Its always the exact opposite.

If you view his website,he talks about the hunters relationship with the land.The irony,is he was fined for tearing [bleep] up on forest service lands.Among other things.

This outfitter isn't alone.If you look at the majority of the backgrounds on these guys,you'll see they've been fined on more then one occasion.

There are many good ones and just as many bad ones. Beware of the recommendations from the one guy who may have had success for his one and only elk, and his one time euphoria.

Bobs above statement is about as true as it gets. You'll also find euphoria occurs easily for many.

There is a [bleep] of greed right now in outfitting. You'll find outfitters booking clients to hunt with other outfitters,because the secondary outfitter has no reputation and can't get anyone booked on his own. Another good rule,is insist on having a full time cook,wrangler and guide.
Posted By: bxroads Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
Another good rule,is insist on having a full time cook,wrangler and guide.

Yes, please stay away from those kind that do it all! wink
But then again, don't listen to me because as Sledder previously said......

Being from AL you don't have a clue what mountain hunting is like.

Posted By: NYStillHunter Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
Trophy Connection out of Sheridan. Leo flat out is the Man! Any questions PM me
Originally Posted by bxroads
But then again, don't listen to me because as Sledder previously said......

Being from AL you don't have a clue what mountain hunting is like.

What you did was more of a ranch hunt.You fall under the catagory of one time euphoria,easily reached.

How'd that purse you strapped to your waist work out.
What you did was more of a ranch hunt

Please explain this statement and elaborate on how one could get any more "wilderness" (in the states) than my hunt.

This should be interesting.......
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
The explanation is sledder....
Grumpy old fart isn't he.
Posted By: EyeDr Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
I would be leary of Bald Mtn myself. Had a personnal run in with them that included some attempts at intimidation, i.e. they don't like pesky resident hunters in their area. Funny how some think a 15 year old kid will turn tail and run scared, except I had a gun too. Also have personnal bad blood dating back to the 70's with 'em, so I guess I am really too biased to listen to in that regard. I think the outfitter requirement is horse apples. Make the non-res. hunters sign a waiver that says if I do it myself in a wilderness area and get lost I will pay all expenses to find and retrieve my body, then there is no need for requiring some dude to give you a horse ride and you can do it yourself.
Posted By: JBoutfishn Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/20/07
Thanks for all the info to date. I agree with EyeDr about requireing a guide, but thats the rule in Wyoming. I bow hunt in Idaho, and they have not had to retrieve my bones.... yet.
Posted By: bxroads Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/22/07
Originally Posted by bxroads
What you did was more of a ranch hunt

Please explain this statement and elaborate on how one could get any more "wilderness" (in the states) than my hunt.

This should be interesting.......

Sledder, are you out there? Was this statement just you being a troll or can you substantiate it?
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/22/07
Regarding this sledder idiot.

Being from Alabama,and having hunted in the Gila myself. This was no ranch hunt and was a close to wilderness as anywhere else in the lower 48.

Very troll like comments......what a loser.

Britt
How did you fare in the Gila?
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/22/07
I killed a 5x5 bull about five years ago in unit 16E. According to the GPS,I covered 11 miles on foot that day before I got to the bull that I had seen from the other side of the canyon. Awesome country for wild elk on public land.

Britt
That was a long hike!
Posted By: sledder Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/23/07
Actually,the photos in bxroads thread look like a typical western ranch in the foothills. Which is the whole reason for booking such hunts,to avoid the grueling physical demands of a true wilderness hunt,plus still kill an elk.

What was it you claimed bxroads.You over exerted yourself on the last real hunt you were on and went guided this time in the foothills .
Posted By: bxroads Re: Wyoming Outfitters - 10/23/07
Actually,the photos in bxroads thread look like a typical western ranch in the foothills

So what are you saying:

1 - That I'm lying and did not hunt the Gila

2 - The Gila is not a "wilderness".

Don't tuck your tail and run. Answser the question.
© 24hourcampfire