Home
Posted By: WJU Successful 2007 Colorado elk hunt - 10/20/07
I just got back the other day from my 1st season Colorado elk hunt with a friend of mine Colorado Bob. We had a GREAT camp & went 2 for 2 on bulls. I took a nice 6x5 on opening morning. The morning was perfect, I could hear the cows calling each other as they came through the timber into the bowl. Just before first light I heard my bull bugle! It really got the adrenalin flowing. The cows showed up first, and then two bulls stepped into a shooting lane & started sparing. I took my bull with a 200 grain nosler loaded in my 300 wby. A few days later Bob took his 5x5 with his tried & true 30-06 shooting 180 grain Hornadys. A great trip!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/Bills2007elk-7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/Bills2007elk-9.jpg[/img]
Nice bulls!
Hey, congrat's... looks like a good time was had by all!
WJU, Looks like you two had a great hunt!
Those elk will be great eating..nicely plumped up for late fall.and the racks are decent also for younger bulls...

Did you buy out of state tags and go.. or hire a guide or what?Jim
Congrats! Nice camp & nice bulls!!
Congrats
Makes for a great hunt when it comes together like that..congrats!
Way to go !!

Looks like a great hunt and a comfortable camp. Hard to do any better than that.

BT
Congrat's! Nice bulls for Colorado!

Where did you guy's hunt in Colorado?
We hunted near Durango. It's an open unit with OTC tags, although the 1st season is draw only. No oufitter---DIY hunt--we packed the meat out on our backs, mostly Bill's. CB
Congrats! Great looking elk.
Sounds like the perfect hunt. The weather even looked nice.
Congrats
Congrats to you and your hunting partner. 2 for 2 is great in a OTC unit. Looks like you set up a really cool camp.
Camp was very comfortable. And not only did we both get elk...but we both got elk from the SAME bowl! It must be some sort of a crossing, because even after packing out my bull....more came through the next day & Bob shot his.

The weather ran from the low 60s to the 20s & snow. But it was always great hunting weather! A VERY fun trip.
Congratulations, looks like it was a blast! The 2nd season crowd might be getting a little weather this weekend.
SD
Way to go!!!!
Nice job,Congrats!
Way to go guys! Two nice bulls and a well setup camp.
That's what its all about!
Great job. Looks and sounds like you had a great time.
Awesome!
Great pics. What brand of canvas tent are you using?

CK
The tent was 12x14. I think the tent was made by "the Durango tent company". I will have to clarify that with Bob to be sure. He made a frame out of 1" electrical conduits. Very easy to put up & extremely strong.
It's a 12x14 with 5' side walls. Colorado Tent Company out of Denver. Tarp is just a Home Depot special. CB
Thanks Bob! smile

I will say that this tent makes camping in fowl weather very enjoyable. It is nice to have all the room, the stove & be warm when there is over a foot of snow outside like last year!
Nothing like two buddies getting together and shooting the bull(s).

Great job! Congratulations!
A few days later Bob took his 5x5 with his tried & true 30-06 shooting 180 grain Hornadys.

Can't be so, everybody knows a .30-06 or Hornadys won't kill anything. grin

Really nice going by both of you. I haven't been to CO since '03 and can't wait to go back.

Could y'all get a vehicle to the camp site or did you pack that wall tent in?
CB and Ironbuck,

Nice job again, glad you didn't get snowed in. I'll get my chance starting Nov 3.

BeanMan
Could y'all get a vehicle to the camp site or did you pack that wall tent in?

We were able to drive pretty close to shere we set up camp. We hiked 3-4 miles from there to get to where we hunt.

Beanman

Snow was no where near as bad as last year during first season, but this is what it looked like on the way down! we got hit the last day with a decent amount of snow. Good luck to you!

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire