Home
Looking for advice on ammo for my .270 for my first Elk hunt. I'm not going to by a new rifle and the .270 is all I have.

I have some 150 gr Partitions I can reload, which I might do but I am also willing to look a factory ammo too.

Thanks
While I am not a huge fan of partitions, you will be just fine. I would recommend a 150 grain bullet for elk out of a .270, but it is by no means necessary.
If you're willing to reload, try the 160 gr. Partitions
140 or 150 TSX. (the NP would be fine though)

I've shot elk with 130 Hornady SP with penetration to the far side hide more than once.....
Thanks gents,

I usually shoot Fusion 130's as they are very accurate in my rifle (so are Sierre GKs) but I've only used those on deer.
Those 150 grain partitions are all you need. Stick one of them in the ribs and you'll be eating elk steaks all winter.
Originally Posted by 99guy
Those 150 grain partitions are all you need. Stick one of them in the ribs and you'll be eating elk steaks all winter.

+1 The 150 Partition on the far right was taken from an elk.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MM
130 or 150 Nosler Part and don't look back
.270 and 150gr NP? Good boots and be in shape and you're good to go!
Originally Posted by Redhat
Looking for advice on ammo for my .270 for my first Elk hunt. I'm not going to by a new rifle and the .270 is all I have.

I have some 150 gr Partitions I can reload, which I might do but I am also willing to look a factory ammo too.

Thanks

Of the 40+ elk I've killed, most have been with a 270, and most of those with 150gr Partitions--from point blank to 400+ yds.........(although at my current rate my 243 and 100gr Partitions are closing in on my 270's.......).

Casey
Alpinecrick,

Do you reload or use factory. If so can you give a few details?

I have the Nosler 5th edition and it tops out at 55 gr H4831. Who makes factory loads with these bullets?

Thanks
I've yet to find any caliber Partition in a dead elk. All have been pass throughs, just as I like them.

I usually go with the 150 in the 270, although a 130 Partition will also work. The extra 20 grains is comforting, at least to me.
Originally Posted by Redhat
Alpinecrick,

Do you reload or use factory. If so can you give a few details?

I have the Nosler 5th edition and it tops out at 55 gr H4831. Who makes factory loads with these bullets?

Thanks

I'm allergic to factory ammo in big game rifles.

I've been running 57-58 grains of H4831 with 150gr Partitions for almost 30 years in a variety of 270's (hope that doesn't get me in trouble--just remember, a chronograph is your friend when determining max/safe loads...2900fps or a bit less out of a 22 inch bbl is going to be max pressure most of the time).

Federal Premium ammo with Partitions comes to mind as far as factory ammo is concerned--but man that premium ammo is getting expensive. Another viable alternative is the good 'ol Remington Core-Lokt ammo--penetration is middling, but the bullet holds together well. I've killed a number of elk with Sierra 150 grain flat base and boattail bullets too.

Casey
Nosler Partition and 4831. For your first hunt used what's tried and true; experiment later, if you must.
I've killed four elk with 150gr Partitions (out of a .270 Roy). All were pretty mcuh bang/flop kills at distances out to 275 yards or so.

If the 130gr Fusion ammo works well in your rifle, you may want to try the 150gr Fusions and see how they shoot. I also wouldn't hesitate to use the new 150gr Trophy Bonded Tip bullets offered by Federal.

But the 150gr Partition is never a wrong answer. If your rifle likes them, the elk certainly won't.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Nosler Partition and 4831. For your first hunt used what's tried and true; experiment later, if you must.

Thanks,

I don't have a need to experiment, just looking for a effective reliable load in my .270. When I find a load that works, I generally stay with it for a long tiime...pretty boring huh!

I really like the Fusion rounds but will they hold together and get the job done???
Originally Posted by Oregon45

I used this combo with the 150's in a 270 for 25 years with excellent success on both deer and elk. No survivors.
i've killed a few moose with a 270 and 150gr partitions, so i'm sure they would work equally well on elk.
When I first moved to CO and wanted to start elk hunting, I did the typical fretting about an elk rifle since all I had was the .270 I got to hunt deer when I was a kid. When asked, old timers told me to shut up as I already had an elk rifle, buy a reloading setup and decent bino's instead. Can't say as I've been able to prove them wrong in 14 years. Either weight NP will work, I've heard decent things of Sierra GK's too but never run them myself. I'd say spend some time practicing with a load you're familiar with and concern yourself with scouting, glass, cardio and boots in that order. Good luck.
SD
I have shot exactly one elk: .270 + Federal Premium/150 Partition + one shot at 277 yards.
Heck with elk doing what they do, I'd take a single shot H/R rifle in almost any decent caliber, but having top line glass on it, and great binocs and worry about physical training so you can find the dang things. Once found its a lot easier....

Bottom line lots more important things than the round or bullet, but then again don't choose a varmint type bullet.
Redhat - 140 accubonds in factory win factory loads seem to fly great in my 270wsm. I assume you are shooting a 270win and since you reload you might consider trying them. Shooting a 270 win for years for big desert Mule deer I avoided 150s mainly because the trajectory changed a bit more than I was confortable with for the long range shots required in my area. When elk started moving out into my Mule deer area I desided to buy a 270wby or 270wsm. I do not yet have enough time to reload yet so I have shot alot with various factory junk. Even though my dream 270 would be a 270wby I settled for a 270wsm so I could afford to buy more and shoot more , the 140 accubonds flew fantastic slammed the Mule deer and the first elk. Hope they fly as well for you! Please post what ends up working the best in your loading and shooting.
I use the .270 Winchester with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets! They penetrate deep and do their job, you just put the bullet into the vitals and the rest will be all that skinning and cutting up of the meat.
150gr Partition, 57.0 H4831sc, and you are good to go! This load will NOT let you down, if you put that bullet in the right place. Good luck. Tom
I prefer the 150 or 160 gr. Nosler partitions on elk in a .270. They always work...I use a dumpster full of some old surplus 4831 I have on hand, the stuff that Jack O'Connor spouted on, but about 58 grs. of IMR-4831 or H-4831 should do almost as well......I am sure the newer Nosler Accubonds will also be a fine bullet as any bonded core bullet seems to work, albiet you will get more penetration with a partition bullet and I place a lot of value on penetration.
I have seen first hand what a 150 Nosler Partition will do to elk, and you would not be lacking with that cartridge bullet combo. If that combo doesn't work, you should try the 130gr TTSX, I am sure it will do just as well. Most of all, have fun and good luck on your hunt.
Another vote for the 150g Partition. It will do just fine.
The majority of game I have shot was with the .270 Win and 130 grain Partitions.Never seen the need for 150's as the 130 grain has never suffered in the penetration department.I have used them a couple of times and saw no difference in effect or penetration.

The next best bullet(in my experience) for the .270 is the Trophy Bonded..I was moving and had no reloads during hunting season and picked up a box of Federal High Energy 140 grain TB..Very impressed with this bullet in the .270.It is a penetrater for sure and brought home the bacon for a couple of years.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jayco
Originally Posted by rost495
Heck with elk doing what they do, I'd take a single shot H/R rifle in almost any decent caliber, but having top line glass on it, and great binocs and worry about physical training so you can find the dang things. Once found its a lot easier....

Bottom line lots more important things than the round or bullet, but then again don't choose a varmint type bullet.

That ranks way up in spot - on - nonnosence pieces of advice, IMHO.

Heading this - for the .270 Win. I would go this route:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=238

Thanks for all the information, I now feel confident my .270 can get the job done. I'm going to start working up loads this week...hope those partitions shoot in my gun!

The rifle is a CZ550 with 24" bbl so I expect pretty good velocity.
If you limit yourself to broadside shots the 130, 150 or 160 partitions work fine and even with an angling shot, but for going away shots you probably should pass...

That is why I use the .338 and 300 gr. Woodleighs as where I hunt elk all you see is the butt disapearing in the brush, its thick, nasty, hard to get to, and full of big bulls after day one or two of the season. That combo puts them down pronto..

Seems to me, at least in Idaho, the good old days of sagebrush elk have come to an end or you have to shoot them at about dark-thirty, and I don't do that, as they can get away from you..
OK, so I have the same rifle as the original poster and I don't reload. NO time, money, or equipment. All the Federal 150gr Partitions I have shot have been VERY erratic in their groups. About 4". As a matter of fact all "elk" bullets shoot erratic. Fusion 150's shoot under 1". Cheapo Federal 130's and Remington Core-Lokt 130's shoot well too. Any suggestions? I'm not trying to hi-jack his post, this seemed related.

TJ
Originally Posted by Baylian
OK, so I have the same rifle as the original poster and I don't reload. NO time, money, or equipment. All the Federal 150gr Partitions I have shot have been VERY erratic in their groups. About 4". As a matter of fact all "elk" bullets shoot erratic. Fusion 150's shoot under 1". Cheapo Federal 130's and Remington Core-Lokt 130's shoot well too. Any suggestions? I'm not trying to hi-jack his post, this seemed related.

TJ

The fusions should work fine since they shoot well in your rifle.
Ammo loaded with heavy, premium quality (Fusion, Partition) bullets from a reputable manufacturer (Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady)
Stick w/ the 150 Partitions, case full of H4831, you're in business.
© 24hourcampfire