Home
Posted By: DanAdair Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
Did I miss a post about your Elk this year?? Can't seem to find it...

Or did you shoot a dink laugh
Posted By: Brad Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
I shot a dink so didn't put up a bragging post grin
Posted By: rl11 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
Well....
Being as there is now a post...
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
If its bones were covered with meat, you're good to go.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
Ummm, that was no dink of a bull you shot, Brad!
Posted By: 340boy Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
Originally Posted by Brad
I shot a dink so didn't put up a bragging post grin

haha!
Well, congrats. on Mr 'dink' anyhow, Brad.

Whadja pop him with??
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/07/09
[quote=DanAdair]Did I miss a post about your Elk this year?? Can't seem to find it...

Or did you shoot a dink laugh[/quote

Ha-rumph Ha-rumph. Come clean with the story/pics!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
I don't remember what thread it was on..
But it was a NICE bull...

When I tell you I killed a dink of some species or another..

You can By Gawd Believe it!!! laugh

Ingwe
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Or, as they say in Alberta, a s--thead. (I learn more Canadian every time I go up. Someday I'll be fluent....)
Posted By: Brad Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Originally Posted by ingwe

When I tell you I killed a dink of some species or another..

You can By Gawd Believe it!!! laugh

Ingwe

Funny!
Tim 300 WSM.

Seriously, not a dink, but by no means a monster bull... just a solid 6 pt with heavyish beams, fairly wide, but lacking in real good tine length. But a public land bull during rifle season is a trophy! I'm privileged to live in Montana and hunt elk. All elk hunting is good!

I backpacked in to a new area I'd been looking at. Located the bull the night before, "put him to bed" as they say, set up my tent and spent the night reading Greg Mortenson's book, "Three Cups Of Tea." Got up the next am, where the bull was still feeding within 150 yards of where he was the night before. I closed the gap and shot him at 200 yards. Dead elk.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09

Brad, sounds like you had a really nice hunt.

You must of had your camera with you.
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Tim 300 WSM.

Seriously, not a dink, but by no means a monster bull... just a solid 6 pt with heavyish beams, fairly wide, but lacking in real good tine length. But a public land bull during rifle season is a trophy! I'm privileged to live in Montana and hunt elk. All elk hunting is good!

I backpacked in to a new area I'd been looking at. Located the bull the night before, "put him to bed" as they say, set up my tent and spent the night reading Greg Mortenson's book, "Three Cups Of Tea." Got up the next am, where the bull was still feeding within 150 yards of where he was the night before. I closed the gap and shot him at 200 yards. Dead elk.

I like how Brad makes it sound almost simple.
Posted By: Razkul99 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Originally Posted by High_Brass

I actually hate it because it serves as a perfect example of the truth in "work smarter, not harder!" smile
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

You must of had your camera with you.

Hammer, I did have a camera. Here's the bull for those that care:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Razkul99
Originally Posted by High_Brass

I actually hate it because it serves as a perfect example of the truth in "work smarter, not harder!" smile

You're too kind. Truth is, with a lot of time in the field and good friends to give guidance, I've slowly started to work smarter, not harder... at least this year laugh
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Very nice bull, Brad. Got any plans for the head/antlers? A Euro mount would look sweet.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
what happened to the "Tactical Wabbit"???
Scorp, I'm not a taxidermy fan so all my stuff goes Euro with no plaque...
338, just a little inside joke...
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
I would have had to think about that for a whole 3 seconds before I flipped that little lever to "Loud Noise" position laugh

Thats a bigger Bull than I've ever shot with a rifle wink

When you shoot him? Opening day??
Posted By: 340boy Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Very nice bull, Brad!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
I'll say he's a nice bull!Neat job getting him,too.Well done!How many trips to pack him out,Brad?
Posted By: Razkul99 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Great bull... makes me think of the words of Col. Hannibal Smith of the A-team, "I just love it when a plan comes together!"
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Awesome animal there Brad, congrats!
Posted By: Shortmag Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Nice bull Brad! 308?

GK
Yeah Danner, opening day. It took patience to look at him the night before! However, as I figured, he hadn't moved 150 yards in thirteen hours from the previous night, just mowing down grass...

Bob, three trips. One out with head and loins, and two more with the rest of the meat. Sort of a haul.

Shortmag, 300 WSM.
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09

Textbook work there, Brad. You gotta love it when it works out that way.

Thanks for posting the pic. There are those of us who never get tired of looking at Kimber rifles and dead animals.

: )
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Brad, nice bull.

I forgot to tell you Rancho's and I's plan. Since we are both lazy(at least I am) we are gonna get some pack goats. I wanted sheep but Johnny said goats would be better.

He's gonna bring some back from Mexico and pasture them up here.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I wanted sheep but Johnny said goats would be better.

Sam.....Dooood...

grin
Ingwe
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Cool hunt & a nice bull to top it off. Hats off to Brad.

nut
Posted By: 340boy Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Brad, nice bull.

I forgot to tell you Rancho's and I's plan. Since we are both lazy(at least I am) we are gonna get some pack goats. I wanted sheep but Johnny said goats would be better.

He's gonna bring some back from Mexico and pasture them up here.

That is wrong on so many levels, Sam!
grin

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
I'm sorry...(grin)
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
Scorp, I'm not a taxidermy fan so all my stuff goes Euro with no plaque...

I hear you, I feel the same way as well. Be sure to post a pic when the skull gets cleaned up, it'll look great I'm sure.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/08/09
They are both popular and sexy here in Arkansas as well. LOL

nut
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Opening morning huh?

You're either lucky or good whistle I guess all that backpacking in the summer paid off after all laugh
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Dan-Brad's one of the guys who truly knows and understands elk and what kind of work it takes to get it done consistently. He's all public land, and he works very hard!

Though he'd not walk away from a stroke of luck on a hunt I can pretty mucho guarantee that he's more than done his homework.

He consistenly gets into good bulls and that aint by chance.

Dober
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Congrats Brad,

I was kinda hopin that you would shoot one with the .257 Bob 115 partition combo.

Ron
Posted By: magnumb Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Congratulations Brad!!

Every bull is a trophy.....especially on both private land and a DIY hunt.

I've yet to take one otherwise...........

Well done.................
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Brad,

Congratulations on a fine bull and a real hands on hunt. Your a genuine western mountaineer to me.

Posted By: bwinters Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Nice bull Brad!

I think we need a 3 page explanation of the details of your hunt............. <g>
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
I like the bull, and rifle, and story thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Thats a fine looking bull, congrats to you. Looks like you had a good hunt!!
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Nice dink.
Posted By: Whip Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Way to go Brad, that's a nice bull. Glad to hear others are doing well here in Montana. What about you Dober? You cuttin' up elk yet?
I was out scouting some spots for Mr. Whitey this weekend, as the rut's perking up, and happened to hear some elk talk nearby. Snuck over there and what do you know, there stands a rag with a bunch of cows, so I gave him a little nosler nap and the family will be eating good this coming year. There's always elk down where I hunt but it's so blasted thick that it can really be a hit and miss proposition. I'd like to say I had it all planned out, but really I just got lucky, and I'm okay with that. Now all I gotta do is find that monster WT that's leaving big hoofprints down in the bottom..........
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/09/09
Whip, I rattled one in North of town Saturday evening, just a dink 4x4 even with his ears... They're starting to get a little stupid.

So Sunday afternoon I took my old lady out there, made about a 2 mile (and 1200' uphill elevation change) loop to get back at him without him winding us... After sitting till dark and having not seen even does (very unusual for this spot) we started hoofing it the 2 miles back to the truck... Not 150 yards from where I saw that little dude the night before, was a gut-pile and drag marks in the snow... Somebody aced my dink Sunday morning frown

And the whole reason I hunt 2 miles from the truck (and a mile from the road) is so I don't see other people. 5 years of hunting this spot and this is only the 2nd guy I've ever seen in there frown

Congrats on the Elk, e-mail me a pic and I'll post it for ya.
Posted By: deflave Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/10/09
Just now seeing this. Congrats Brad. Awesome bull.

Travis
Posted By: Whip Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/10/09
Didn't take a pic. He was a dink. But the true trophy is gonna be on the table. wink
Posted By: Brad Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/10/09
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Good eatin' Whip, and congrat's!
Posted By: Brad Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
180 NP recovered from bull... hit well behind the last rib, and angled forward taking out a lung, and was under the hide on the off side, forward the shoulder. Penetrated about 3+ feet of elk. Shot was 200 yards, angling away hard. 71% weight retention:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Brad, picture perfect.

They aren't the most accurate bullet in my 2 WSM's but still manage consistent 1.25MOA out to 400 yards.

Should be plenty for a deer....(grin)
Posted By: Brad Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Might work Sam laugh
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Wow! Nice bull!
Congratulations.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Brad, picture perfect.

They aren't the most accurate bullet in my 2 WSM's but still manage consistent 1.25MOA out to 400 yards.

Should be plenty for a deer....(grin)

How small are the vitals on those West Dakota deer??

laugh
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Good to see you surface...

I was starting to think the Campfire was going to have to hold auditions for a new Ogre laugh
Posted By: handwerk Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Very nice bull there Brad, all in a days work. Must be something about those 300wsm montanas as you seem to come back to them in the end.
Congrats on a beautiful animal and thanks for the pics.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Good to see you surface...

I was starting to think the Campfire was going to have to hold auditions for a new Ogre laugh

Dan, if you saw the pic of the girl he "took hunting" you'd understand why he is spending less time on the computer... wink

I'm just sayin' Travis....... whistle

Ingwe
Posted By: yukonal Re: Oh Brad?? - 11/11/09
Brad--Congrats on a fine bull. I think hunting in the snow adds a whole new element to the hunt. Thanks for posting your pic.
© 24hourcampfire