Home
Looking to use an AR-15-type rifle for elk next year; lots of them on the TV these days and they're becoming a major force in the hunting world...seeing more and more hunters with semi-autos in the mountains and plains...

Is the 6.8 SPC enough of a cartridge for trophy elk? What range would you limit your shots to? I typically don't shoot much past 250+yards in one of my hot spots.

Planning on using this load:
110 grain Nosler Accu Bond @ ~2580 FPS Or

110 grain Barnes TSX @ ~2600 FPS

Using a 20" barrel

Thank you in advance.
No.
Didn't Craig Boddington use the 270 Winchester on elk at about 500 yards? The 6.8 SPC is like a 270 Winchester short.

Looking for experienced opinions on the 6.8 SPC, the bullet you'd use, the range you'd keep it too.

Thank you.
The vast majority of rifles are much better than their operators at any yardage!

And I'm very tolerant of small caliber/cartridge case rifles in use with elk. The 270, 280, and 308 are some of my favorites for late season cow hunts.

That being said, I don't think I'd use a 6.8 with 110 grain bullets for "trophy" bulls. I've had too many quartering shots on elk,especially hard to find bulls, to go with something that light.

Just my opinion. If you believe you will get deliberate, steady, and frequent shot opportunities on trophy bulls, then go for it. My opportunities for good, much less trophy, bulls has been too limited.
Is it the only gun you have got?

You are so strapped for money that you can't afford a $300 pawn shop '06?

So you have nobody from whom you can borrow a bigger gun?

You truly say that "cross your heart hope to die" that you'd let the biggest bull of your career walk if the shot angle and distance wasn't right?

Only if your answer to ALL of these questions is yes am I inclined to reconsider my categorical No.
Don't they make AR type rifles in 308?

" No" sounds good...

Ingwe
If you really want to use an AR-15, find a 458 SOCOM upper. Roughly 45-70 ballistics.
Why is it that you are interrogating me on my free choice of rifles?

I'm buying a new Stag Arms in 6.8 SPC and would like to try it out on an elk hunt. Mainly raghorn bull elk with some medium 5 pointers, but trophies nevertheless.

I already have other rifles better suited for elk, I was just curious as to the capabilities of the 6.8 SPC for those who have used lighter cartridges on elk before.

Seems it would be nice and fun and light-recoiling and also probably surpass expectations in terms of capabilities, but I'd like to hear from those that have used light rifles in the approx. same class as to what they think.
Troll.

MontanaMarine, what would the effective range of the 6.8 SPC be for elk if you were to use one of the loads that I suggested? While I could use the 458 SOCOM, it's not as practical or widely available as the 6.8 SPC.

Besides, isn't the 6.8 SPC similar to the 6.5x55?
I wouldn't even consider it, myself. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it. That's just me. It is a power level way below the 243 Win, or 250 Sav launching 100gr bullets at 3000 fps or so.

I seem to recall an online article a while back where one of the gunwriters (Clair Rees????) killed an elk with a 6.8 boltgun though. Not sure what the Ammo was.

Here's the article I was thinking about,

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/remington_0303/

Johnston tipped over a muley, but was open to the idea of elk if an opportunity presented itself.
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Why is it that you are interrogating me on my free choice of rifles?

Because you frigging asked.
He's just a troll. He is worth zero effort at all. He's put a bunch of threads on here and they're all arrogant, yet useless...therefore, so is he.

Dennis
MontanaMarine, good points overall. I appreciate your honesty. Thank you. I didn't realize that the ballistics were not as favorable.

Mind you, at up to 150-200 yards, it looks to be effective for cow elk and mule deer with the right shot placement. Maybe I stick with that plan and then bring out the 270 Winchester or 300 Win Mag. for my trophy elk hunts instead.

6.8MMx47 REMINGTON SPC BALLISTICS
BULLET VELOCITY (fps)-------------------ENERGY (ft-lbs.)
Muzzle-----100 yd.- 200 yd.- 300 yd-----Muzzle 100 yd. 200 yd. 300 yd
2,800------2,535---2,285---2,049--------2,002--1,644---1,345---1,075

Dennis, you must be having a bad day. I have always been polite and respectful and while it's possible that we may have disagreed on something in the past, get over it, there is no need to call me names or be disrespectful towards a fellow hunter. Thank you.

Many serious elk hunters consider the 270 light for elk. Others disagree, but it can at least be reasonably debated.

Compare the energy figures below, from the Remington website. The SPC is the top one, the others are 270 Win, with an above average long range bullet and with a more typical bullet.

You will see that the SPC has similar energy to the 270's, but about 200-300 yards closer, and the SPC bullet weight is not as good for large animals.

I don't think anyone would recommend a 270 Win for elk at 500-700 yards, and that is about what the SPC is equal to at 250 yards.

Here is the comparison.

Attached picture 270vs6-8.jpg
bcp, interesting comparison. thank you. With that comparison, the 6.8 SPC is limited to anything the 270 Win would do, but as you said, 200-300 yards closer.

My goodness it's a necked down shortened 30 Remington designed to shoot people. If you must hunt with an AR (Have done it, clumsy and heavy) A 308 or 338 federal in an AR 10 would be a much better choice.

For far less money and weight you can buy a Marlin XL 7 in 30-06 which is a real cartridge.

My 1910 M8 25 Remington Semi Auto will shoot a 117 gr bullet at 2500 fps, I'd never go after Elk with it!(same case but not shortened!) P-O-P-G-U-N !
I have other rifles. The 6.8 SPC would be interesting to carry in the woods, but, there are limitations...

Mind you, many deer and elk have fallen to 110gr-117 gr bullets travelling between 2600-2800 fps...

Again, maybe someone who's been in on many elk kills can confirm that they may be effective within certain limitations.

Mind you, many deer and elk have fallen to 110gr-117 gr bullets travelling between 2600-2800 fps...

Very similar numbers to 25 Remington (as mentioned before) and the 25-35 Winchester, although their bullets are long for caliber and the SPC is short for caliber.

Look for reports of elk hunting with them. But don't expect many. grin
Elk deserve more respect. Kill them cleanly, Skip the stunt shooting.
BTW, I grew up in elk country and have killed a dozen or so with a .270. Respect your quarry and use an appropriate tool.
lots of them on the TV these days

Use it to kill your TV
it can be done. here's my friend's huge cow elk shot at 47 yards.
yeah, it's not 200 or better, but it can kill cleanly at limited ranges.

why must one judge another of his rifle of choice ?

if it's accurate enough, has enough energy at a given range for proper penetration, why not ?
and how many elk have been killed with 30-30's, 35 remington's, and what about pistol shooters ? gonna tell me a 44 mag has more energy than a rifle ?

[Linked Image]

guys, wake up, ar's are here to stay, and in the right hands, at responsible ranges, they work quite well.
as well as the gi's who carry one EVERYDAY, know an ar inside and out, are very proficiant with it, want to use something they are very familiar with.
unlike ALOT of you, that only pick up a rifle a few times a year, and hunt with it, not knowing all there is about it and how it shoots.

lighten up guys, look at the ballistics of the 6.8spc, it's a very effective round on HUMANS and animals.

and i guess we were bad evil hunters using 2moa l1a1's for antelope ?
[Linked Image]
we had a great time with rifles we shoot often, and proved a point. so called assualt weapon's, have a sporting purpose.
Even a .260 in a gas gun would be a better choice.
My position has absolutely nothing to do with the style of weapon. The OP also started with the objective of trophy elk at 250 yards, and backpedaled down to raghorns, and now cows at close range.

Better tools exist. Simple as that.

I also notice in another ongoing thread that the OP commented regarding someone who successfully used a 7MM SAUM/160 Accubond on a bull would have been better off using a 300 Win Mag. If he believes that (and I am not sure I do) then he must not be surprised at getting trashed for suggesting the 6.8 SPC is at all in the same league.
i agree, it's not in the same league as a much larger cartridge, i was just sayin, that at limited ranges, it will kill. now the nut behind the trigger has to make that decision, same as the guys using 223's and smaller for deer.

Have you ever seen any of the critters that brooksrange has shot, with anything. I really look forward to seening some. CH
splatter'

I have no problem with the AR platform itself for hunting. The AR10, and 308Win-based chamberings have plenty of power.

In the original post, brooks' specifically queried about a 6.8mm 110gr bullet at 2600 fps MV, for elk at 250+ yards. It's a light, short, bullet only doing about 2100 fps at 250 yards. Going beyond 250 yds it just gets worse.

A 110gr TSX at 2800 fps, inside 100 yards or so, that's a little better. I'd still rather use a 30-06 or simlar.
If you are truly"curious", read the ballistic science/math of the Optimum Game Weight formula in the Lyman 47th Reloading Manual, pp.139-146...please read ALL 7 Pages!

I am not an elk hunter, but the 6.8 SPC is a [bad] people cartridge, NOT a game cartridge.
It a'int even the people cartridge the 308 is. Don't see any snipers carrying it in their M 40s. The only reason it exists is the limitations of the M16 platform. Put a pile of M-14s and M4s in front of a USMC platoon and see which would be gone and which would not!
The 6.8 was never intended to be a sniper round.
you got it montana marine. something to make an m-16 a bit more of a better killing machine. light and fast don't always cut it, but a bit more weight makes it better.

My very point, if it cant kill a raghead at 800 yards, how can you expect it to be a reliable Elk cartridge at ANY range.

Further, why bother when there are 100s of better choices out there starting with a 30-30!

This thread is just getting stupid. No responsible hunter would espouse a cartridge with the ME of a 25 Remington for Elk.
No way would I use a 6.8SPC on elk. IMO the bullets aren't fast or heavy enough to get you a clean kill on a elk past 125 yards or so.
The 6.8SPC should work well on deer out to 300 yards.
Originally Posted by oldman1942
My very point, if it cant kill a raghead at 800 yards, how can you expect it to be a reliable Elk cartridge at ANY range.

Further, why bother when there are 100s of better choices out there starting with a 30-30!

This thread is just getting stupid. No responsible hunter would espouse a cartridge with the ME of a 25 Remington for Elk.

Well, there are a whole slew of useful elk chamberings not being fielded by military snipers. So I'm not really following you.

Are you suggesting that only military sniper chamberings are suitable for elk?

That position might cast a shadow on your 30-30, and a slew of other useful chamberings.

How about that charcoal burner you like to post pics of beside the elk. How much energy does that old warhorse generate? Is it an 800 yard rig?
I just had a thought. The 6.8SPC in the AR15 platform is excellent for the southeastern folks that hunt deer with dogs.
?????? I'm surprised this came back to life
Looking to use an AR-15-type rifle for elk next year; lots of them on the TV these days and they're becoming a major force in the hunting world...seeing more and more hunters with semi-autos in the mountains and plains...

Is the 6.8 SPC enough of a cartridge for trophy elk? What range would you limit your shots to? I typically don't shoot much past 250+yards in one of my hot spots.

Planning on using this load:
110 grain Nosler Accu Bond @ ~2580 FPS Or

110 grain Barnes TSX @ ~2600 FPS

Using a 20" barrel

Thank you in advance.

Does not impress me as such a hot idea.....
Why on earth would you want a premium bullet in such an anemic round is beyond me. The round will easily kill elk, but I wouldn't want the bull of a lifetime looking back over his rump at me at 300 yards with the 6.8 in hand. Flinch
It would give you something to rant about on the internet if bull didn't drop.
Originally Posted by utah708
It would give you something to rant about on the internet if bull didn't drop.

They drop. The more research, the more photos pop up of people killing large elk with AR-15s etc. and it works:

[Linked Image]

It is only a matter of time before it's used more and more on elk, albeit cows, raghorns and mature but non-huge trophy elk...look at how they perform:

Below is a photo of Mark LaRue of LaRue Tactical and his bull elk, taken at 405 yards with a 6.5 Grendel 120 Barnes TSX from a 20" rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And look at what's next in paint schemes to appeal to another market demographic, women:
[Linked Image]

So, conclusions are clear, up to about 150 yards, the 6.8 SPC would be very good on elk with proper shot placement.
What bullets would you use? Thinking TSX...

How many of you will give it a try, why or why not?

We can be responsible and take this upcoming year to practice with our assault/black rifles and be prepared for elk, especially in places like Colorado, Montana, Wyoming etc.

In the end, we also have an option that no bolt-shooter has: We can fire multiple, precision-placed shots on target. This produces the double wammy effect of the triple shock caused by the bullets themselves. Two quick shots would essentially make it possible to be as powerful as a 30-06 or even a 300 Win. Mag.
Yeah, that multiple shot idea.

Like the guy I hunted elk with in 1986 that had a semi-auto Browning .300 Win. Mag...guess the AR was not the first.....
[Linked Image]

That is a huge head on her
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
Yeah, that multiple shot idea.

Like the guy I hunted elk with in 1986 that had a semi-auto Browning .300 Win. Mag...guess the AR was not the first.....

Multiple shots works! They don't call it "Double Tappin'" for nothing! Especially when you can both do "double tappin and triple shockin" fire for effect!

The more I read this, the more I am convinced of the power for game animals...
Originally Posted by heavywalker

That is a huge head on her

Keep on track, it would be useful. This is an important discussion on the merits of the 6.8 SPC on game and we should focus on how all of us can enjoy the benefits of having hunters in the woods shootin at game with these black rifles as long as it increases hunter numbers it's good for all of us.
Yeah that is exactlly what I want a bunch of hunters running around in the woods with AR type rifle "double tapping" everything they see.

What I would like to see is some new hunters that come along and try to do things right and learn the art of hunting before they take to the woods dressed like a swat team.
Responsible "double tappin" is ok as long as it's to ensure the elk is down; just like a follow-up rifle shot.

At this point, swat or not, pray and spray are here to stay.

Don't go all Jim Zumbo on us;) you'd be disrespecting the whole hunting community who use black rifles all the time.

Besides, let's here some more experience on these cartrdiges on game like large elk.
Sounds like you've got your mind made up man...

Why you even asking anybody?

PS - The "double tapping" turning your 6.8 into a 300 WinMag comment made me laugh out loud for some reason...
I haven't made up my mind, it sound good, but please share knowledge and info to determine success.

Under what situations would you use one?

Thinking dark timber...when all you see is part of the elk but you know that it's there and can drill right down and buck some brush by double tappin through or just use as a light recoiling cow killer?

Many options to consider and a long winter to practice.
Go nuts have fun report back.
Why a 6.8 though? Why not an AR10 platform with more cartridge? You can still "double tap" if you like.
I appreciate your insights. I value the effort and contributions about learning on these new rifles and the 6.8 SPC cartridge. Please keep up the excellent work.

Definitely turned into trolling...

DFTFT...
Brooksrange - I don't suppose you have a kill pic from one of your elk hot spots? Double tapping game!!!??? You're a moron and you watch too much TV. Your lack of experience oozes from your posts.
Originally Posted by kyreloader
Why a 6.8 though? Why not an AR10 platform with more cartridge? You can still "double tap" if you like.

Good question. What cartridges does an AR10 platform allow? Can I get one in a 7mm-08? or a 358Win- now that would be a thumper and longer range!
Greg,

What cartridge would you recommend on that platform then? Thx.
Double tapping?

What a baboso..
Yeah, I haven't really heard anyone knock an AR platform - only suggestions that you step up to a better cartridge ie 308 oh and possibly reconsider the doubletap- why fire two shots when you can fire one that'll be more effective? Your the only one making this about the platform, we're all offering you suggestions to make your platform of choice more viable.

Still haveing a really really hard time beieving that this came back to life???????????

How odd is it that this dude is posting pictures of David Larue shooting an AR in 6.5 Grendel, and then turns around and asks what cartridges an AR-10 size lower will take??

Yes, that was a little odd.

Well, I guess I'll stick with my bolt rifle.
Good idea....provided its not a 6.8 smirk
What is your bolt rifle? How about some pics of you and some of the game you've taken? Really like to see those, please.
Here's a cow moose that was arrowed by Brooks wink [Linked Image]

My rifle is a Win. Model 70 in both a 270 win and in a 300 win mag. I use both interchageably on most of my hunts.
WOW - Are you related to Lee24? You're full of [bleep]! That's the best you can do for a kill pic??!!
Uncalled for! Have you ever arrowed or shot a moose? Ha!

Here's Brooks' turkey hunt in younger days:

[Linked Image]
Brooks and gus (now minus the goatie/beard). Gus is the horse and you're the bull... smile

[Linked Image]

The 6.8 SPC will be a great deer/ hog and maybe small elk gun.

Aside from that, I'll use my tried and true bow or rifles
double taps?

That's the best way to shoot deer with a 22lr. Makes it equal to a 44.

grin

Bruce
no, actually, it would be more like the impact of two #4 buckshot or about that of a .380 pistol cartridge.

Double tappin works without clappin!
Make sure you wear your black BDU's and SWAT T-shirt while you're out "double-tapping" big game... And please, please, please, post pics.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
i agree, it's not in the same league as a much larger cartridge, i was just sayin, that at limited ranges, it will kill. now the nut behind the trigger has to make that decision, same as the guys using 223's and smaller for deer.

So won't a 22 Hornet....why the mad rush to marginal cartridges? Just to prove a point? Play with plinkers on the range and in the varmint fields....the elk have enough problems.Some folks never grow up.(Splatter not refering to you)
Sorry but it all boils down to knowing the limitations of the weapon used.
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
If you are truly"curious", read the ballistic science/math of the Optimum Game Weight formula in the Lyman 47th Reloading Manual, pp.139-146...please read ALL 7 Pages!

I am not an elk hunter, but the 6.8 SPC is a [bad] people cartridge, NOT a game cartridge.

Not a game cartridge? I wouldn't use it for Elk, but at 100 yards it's a damn good deer/hog round.

Interesting that Nosler and Barnes introduced the 110gr Accubond and TSX specifically for the 6.8spc. Think that was to kill people? Seems overkill.

6.8SPC significantly outperforms the 30-30 which has killed a deer or two and is the equivalent of the .243Win inside 250 yards.

Brooks - the new liar24..

http://www.doublekguides.com/testimonials.html

http://coxtransportllc.com/aboutus.html

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Moose_hunt/2006_moose_hunt_pics.htm
Use a rem R-25. It s a 243, 7mm-08, or 308. They will all kill elk.
Honest answer to this, 110 TSX and out to 150 yards or so, if you know how to kill them with a bow, then you use the same strategy and shot placement and you'll do just fine.

I used to only own a 243 and would have shot an elk in a heartbeat with it, given the chance and the RIGHT shot.... I knew I'd be limited and that was my choice.

Personally my elk rounds start with 338 win mag and 54 in the MZ. I prefer a safety margin for longer shots and more energy.

And if hunting in thick timber, IE 100 and under on shots, I'd sure grab my 50 beowulf before I'd grab a 6.8.... timber calls for quick shots and bad angles. More like a 45-70 though a 338 would be just fine too....
I have hunted elk since 1962 and have taken a fair amount over the years. The first elk I killed was in 1964 and a spike taken with the only gun I owned, a 99 in 250-3000,was it the best? Well that day it was. grin One shot through the heart at about 60 yards, stood right there and then tipped over.Then I went big time and hunted for several years with a 99 in 308 and the elk just kept tippin over.Through the years I have gone through all the big guns,magnums and then back to the 308.Now due to a eyesight handicap, I will be using a 6.8 for deer and elk this coming year in an AR platform shooting left handed. Will it be at 250 yards +, not on your life.
My ranges will be under 150 yards and at that range and with proper shot placement, it will work just fine.
As I said above, know your weapon and it limitations.
I"d actually say given the right bullet that a broadside 250 yard shot in the ribs would be gravy for the round too, but now how many times does that happen? Only elk I"ve seen standing still mostly were grazing bulls when I had cow tags...
Jeff, guess I'm lucky as a couple of the honey holes are rather close range,being in the 75 to 150 yards of open meadows with a small creek flowing through the middle. Always holds elk yearly without pressure. Never any trophy animals but not what I am looking for anyway.
Have a buddy that all he hunts with is a 32 winnie, always has and has killed elk and deer every damn year(sickning) and he has killed some monster elk. I wish I had a picture of his gun, also wish that gun could repeat the hunting stories.
Anyway, wish the WOA 6.8 would arrive so I can start dialing it in.
Hmmm...and he needs a guide for turkeys and moose...Interesting. Go get those dark timber bulls with your 6.8 buddy. Flinch
Flinch
So not everyone knows how to call turkeys or where to find/how t find moose... does it make one a dumbazz because they use a guide?

I mean the guy comes up with some strange topics, but geez... you are now circumspect if you happen to hire a guide?

Jimmy

I bet that 32 is neat... I have a win in 32wcf that I kill deer and hogs with every year so its all in choosing the right bullet and then shot placement and distances... One of these years I'll find an elk in the right place too.Not for the 32wcf but for something else of course. The 6.8 isn't anything but a slower 270 and I kill deer all the time with my 6mmWOA which is a slower 243...

Jeff
I look at it this way - he talks like he's been there and done that and yet he hires a guide to kill two of the dumbest animals on the planet. I could have killed several cow moose with a big rock in my lifetime and merriams turkeys... small children find them lacking in challenge. The guy is a total farce, it's not that he's hunted with a guide, it's that it doesn't appear that he's hunted any other way - if those pics are really of him and that's all he's got.
My point exactly! Flinch
Ummmmm.. You guys realize those pix are all of different people.

Our brooks didn't kill any of them. He's a liar and troll.
I think the two he posted of the cow moose and the turkeys are of the same guy - couldn't say if that is him or not but either way I'm not impressed.
Anyone who thinks we're dumb enough to believe what "brooksrange" and others like him -- Liar24 comes to mind -- spout out is clearly pretty stupid themselves. I've seen way more from br than anyone wants to, and it all varies from silly to stupid, with some insulting and sneering thrown in. He is a waste of time and attention, and clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Dennis
I have other rifles. The 6.8 SPC would be interesting to carry in the woods, but, there are limitations...

Again, maybe someone who's been in on many elk kills can confirm that they may be effective within certain limitations.
.............Brooksrange!..............Out to 250 yards on elk with an AR platform, I wouldn`t exactly feel comfortable using a 6.8. At a 150 to 175 yards? Possible!

In terms of a minimum impact energy on elk, a better comfort zone if it were me would be 1400-1500 lbs...........Just get closer!

Since you have other and more powerful rifles as I read that you do, I`d use one of them before the 6.8...........
Really...you think this "brooksrange" guy actually owns anything? Seriously...you've read his stuff and still think there's some valid point to answering him?

Get real...

Dennis
BROOKSRANGE DOESN'T EXIST....IT IS A TROLL ALIAS!! The pictures he posted are of three different people named Brooks that he found doing a google search. You could repeat it and find those pictures too. Rancho Loco found and posted all the links. Good work Rancho. He hasn't posted since 12/12 maybe he'll re-surface maybe not. Just as likely he will just fabricate another alais and reappear under that alais. He seems to get some perverse enjoyment out of starting contentious threads. We would all be better off ignoring his post.
Originally Posted by muledeer
Really...you think this "brooksrange" guy actually owns anything? Seriously...you've read his stuff and still think there's some valid point to answering him?

Get real...

Dennis
+1
thats why I called BS on his one posting and he basically tried calling me the troll. crazy
Originally Posted by chickasaw_hunter
BROOKSRANGE DOESN'T EXIST....IT IS A TROLL ALIAS!! The pictures he posted are of three different people named Brooks that he found doing a google search. You could repeat it and find those pictures too. Rancho Loco found and posted all the links. Good work Rancho. He hasn't posted since 12/12 maybe he'll re-surface maybe not. Just as likely he will just fabricate another alais and reappear under that alais. He seems to get some perverse enjoyment out of starting contentious threads. We would all be better off ignoring his post.

A thought that has crossed my mind...is that it is a group of troublemakers working together under the alias, or perhaps a set of them. Looking at pieces posted under the term "brooksrange" over the past several months there seem to be some distinctions amongst styles presented in different threads -- or even at different times in the same thread.

I'm thinking maybe some stupidboys are playing games...

Dennis
I think the guys that want to use the 6.8 for elk are way above us. They need to be using it for grizzly just to show their stuff.
No Tom, your wrong! He did call you a troll grin
muledeer, humm....it is something to think about.
No Tom, your wrong! He did call you a troll grin
I was trying to sugarcoat it. grin
No. 'Bout like shootin an Elk at 10 feet with a BB gun. Get a 270WSM.
In spite of all the name calling and BS, no one has yet stepped up and said their favorite Elk cartridge was a 25 Remington. Since the difference between it and the 6.8 is marginal at best, why no advocates for it?

Get a 30-06 and be done with it....are you men or mice?
why don't the moderators note his ip referenced from all his alias' and ban his azz clown existance forever? This has been a waste of 10 pages due to him, and all the other bs post/threads he has started. What an annoyance.
Mike, thanks for your service. Hate to break it to you but there is no rule on any internet site that says you have to use the same handle on every place you post. Further, I have no other handle on this site, if you think I do, why don't you PM me with the names? ISP search software is not too expensive, so why don't you invest in some and track down your obsession.

Now as to the thread topic..... you have killed how many Elk with a 6.8? You have tried it on ballistic gel at 250+ yards and have photos of results to share with us?

I suggest you actually read some books on comparative ballistics and see just how marginal the cartridge is for Big Game.

In my life,I have had the honor to know quite a few Marines and Army troops who actually fired shots in anger. Yet to meet one who would prefer any 223 based cartridge to the 308.

Work on being annoyed by such a minor distraction as life is too short to lose it because you disagree with someone.
DOH! PM sent oldman1942
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Troll.

Sam nailed it on the first page. Sheesh.
Brooksrange.....Now what does it take to get your mind to open the doors and understand that people with experience have given you the answer to your question. I will go on further by saying that a TOP from Montana has also given you some excellent advice.

Now if you truly wish to hunt bull elk in the Rocky Mountains, I will suggest you purchase a good bolt action rifle in any caliber you choose from 30-06 on up the ladder. I personally have hunted with a model 70 Winchester in the .300 Win mag and .338 caliber for the past 25 years. Elk are tuff critters and not antelope or jackrabbits savvy...Geez.
I wasn't aware the 6.8 was a .223 based cartridge (time to google) I have one and being able to use .223 brass would make life a lot easier. I wouldn't dream of hunting elk with a 6.8. The troll brooksrange has been MIA ever since he was outted as a phony by Rancho Loco. This thread needs to end since it was just one of brooks contentious threads. IMO CH
Originally Posted by Tonk
Brooksrange.....Now what does it take to get your mind to open the doors and understand that people with experience have given you the answer to your question. I will go on further by saying that a TOP from Montana has also given you some excellent advice.

Now if you truly wish to hunt bull elk in the Rocky Mountains, I will suggest you purchase a good bolt action rifle in any caliber you choose from 30-06 on up the ladder. I personally have hunted with a model 70 Winchester in the .300 Win mag and .338 caliber for the past 25 years. Elk are tuff critters and not antelope or jackrabbits savvy...Geez.

Tonk, the collective wisdom of most here is truly exceptional. I will refrain from wanting to use the 6.8 SPC for all but selective cull/cow elk hunts. I will continue to use my 300 Win mag for my trophy elk hunts as per usual, along with the 180gr TTSX or good Nosler Partitions.

I wasn't aware the 6.8 was a .223 based cartridge (time to google) I have one and being able to use .223 brass would make life a lot easier. I wouldn't dream of hunting elk with a 6.8. The troll brooksrange has been MIA ever since he was outted as a phony by Rancho Loco. This thread needs to end since it was just one of brooks contentious threads. IMO CH

It's not based on the 223 Rem, but based upon the powerful and accurate .30 Remington cartridge and is ballistically similar to the 1950s-era .280 British. Further, improved propellant powders allow the 6.8 mm to have a smaller case and thus is very efficient.

For this reason alone, not to mention, excellent bullet choices, platforms, etc, it should be a useful cow/raghorn bull cartridge at short ranges.

Hence my original question for wanting some user feedback at slightly longer ranges.
Despite the critisims of Tom264, ballistics remain factual.

By adopting 6.8 SPC, a hunter gains the ability to use the versatile and ergonomic AR15 platform for hunting.The combination of the cartridge case, powder load, and projectile easily outperformed the 7.62x39mm cartridge, with the new cartridge proving to be about 200 feet per second faster.[8] According to Wikipedia.
Wikipedia?

A troll, liar, and a retard all mixed into one..

Way to go, "brooks".
Lee24's twin grin
Despite the critisims of Tom264, ballistics remain factual.

By adopting 6.8 SPC, a hunter gains the ability to use the versatile and ergonomic AR15 platform for hunting.The combination of the cartridge case, powder load, and projectile easily outperformed the 7.62x39mm cartridge, with the new cartridge proving to be about 200 feet per second faster.[8] According to Wikipedia.

I just verified the velocities and they come within 95% of what I originally stated as my source for initial info. CLearly, the lighter cartridge carries less ft. lbs. of energy, but at the ranges that we are talking about, still seems reasonable to hunt with, especially for deer, boar, cows and rag bulls.
Hey Brookie....gonna start posting some more pics of someone elses animals claiming them as yours?

Hows that lying thing working out for ya?
Originally Posted by Tom264
Hey Brookie....gonna start posting some more pics of someone elses animals claiming them as yours?

Hows that lying thing working out for ya?

I never claimed anyone elses animals as my own nor have I claimed any pics. You are the one caught in dishonesty and lack of interity for breaching privacy by posting numerous misleading quotes from me in a troll alert and:
Originally Posted by Tom264
That was my one and only pm to you that I am aware of..

I was gonna try to post the whole PM on here for all to see but since I'm not smart enough maybe you can..

I for one, find it pretty dishonest and juvenile (yes, juvenile) to PM someone in private, begin a conversation with them, ask them questions, then simultaneously post parts of the PM publicly to try to at worst, make them look like a troll or at best to prove an assumption you made about someone you don't even know.

Tom264, that says a lot about you! I even asked in a PM to be friendly towards each other, all the while you were trying to publicly be a troll alert expert. Makes me also wonder what you share about other people from PMs that should be kept private.

So much for that.

Tom264, your silence is deafening. Even makes a couple of your buddies wonder about their privacy and your integrity.
Yawn!
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Double tapping?

What a baboso..

+1, perfecto!

It's not based on the 223 Rem, but based upon the powerful and accurate .30 Remington cartridge and is ballistically similar to the 1950s-era .280 British.

Yeah, right, this is bad BS. The .30 Rem is the ballistic twin to the 30/30 (basically a rimless 30/30). You can even use the same loading data. Except for the powerful and accurate part this is a direct quote from Wikipedia.

The 6.8 is not based on the 223 but it is designed to fit 223 magazines and function through a 223 upper, just need to change the bolt and rebarrel. The military were looking for something more powerful with more energy down range without making major changes to the platform.
all i can say is WOW! just when i thought i had heard of some bad ideas, i read this thread and found some whoppers! seriously, "double-tapping" game, wounded or not? i guess i have been screwed up my whole life as i was taught to make one killing shot and not just throw multiple rounds down range and pray for a hit. i don't have a problem with guys hunting with ARs. everyone likes to hunt with something diffrent know and then, but i've never heard of the "spray and pray" approach to hunting. i guess i grew up with bolt-actions and muzzleloaders for hunting and i'll probably never get used to a semi-auto for hunting. i don't even own a semi-auto shotgun! anyway, as for the 6.8SPC, i'm sure everyone has a story about an "inadequate" caliber killing something big. i've heard of elephants killed with 22lr as are grizzlies, moose, and probably a bunch of others. that doesn't mean i'm toting a 22lr. on my next bear hunt! quite the contrary, i take the rifle that is sure to provide a clean humane kill with ONE shot. my elk rifle Might be a 270 with 130gr. TSX's, but most likely it will be a 375H&H and will be sporting 270gr. TSX's or 260gr. Accubonds. do the hunting community a favor, do the quarry a favor, use enough gun and keep the ranges sane to deliver one clean shot for a quick kill.-keith
do the hunting community a favor, do the quarry a favor, use enough gun and keep the ranges sane to deliver one clean shot for a quick kill.-keith

Keith, that all sounds good and fine but rest assured just because you pack a 270 or 375 H&H you are never guarenteed a one shot kill. I have seen "big" bulls take more than one shot to put them down with the first shot be a good one. Chit happens and we all must do the very best to be a humane hunter.

This double tap chit from that numbnutz poster is just plain BS from a Troll.
jimmyd223, you are right. you are never assured of a one shot kill. what i am getting at is that you should strive for a one shot kill. if one shot doesn't do it, then fine, you have a responsibility to kill the animal humanely. so, if that takes more than 1 shot than you do what it is needed to get the kill. my point, is that, as a responsible hunter your goal should be to make one well aimed shot that results in a quick kill. having the intent to make multiple shots ("double-tapping") as some kind of substitute for a reasonable cartridge is not only unethical, but stupid, retarded, asinine, etc.-keith
© 24hourcampfire