Home
heard about these today and was curious if any campfire members have scored a tag? claim is that 80% of people tagged will get a bull elk. for 10 registration and 394.00 for a tag it would be a great deal for me seeing as how i am 6 hours from kentucky. just wondered if someone has knowledge on where to look on public lands and where to research this a little more. thanks, keith
I went in the draw with my son 2 seasons ago. It cost $10 for the draw and you only pay the difference if you get a tag. You cannot apply for an area because that is dictated by the DOW which assigns a hunting area and meets you on site.

At that point, they put a tag on your vehicle to alert other rangers that you are a legal hunter and not poaching, so they do not need to stake out your vehicle. They also go over your hunting area.

The elk are living in a milder climate than the rockies and there are no predators so they grow on average, 15% larger than Rocky Mtn Elk and reach 6 point in the majority.

It is a good opportunity but the number of tags is small. For $10, it is a very reasonable gamble. The success rate is high.

Good luck with it.

JW
OHunter, i've been putting in for a few yrs, but haven't drawn yet. Buddy of mine drew last yr, shot a bull 10min in to the first morning. Success ratio is high if you draw. Problem is finding elk on public land. A lot of elk on private land and the much of that gets leased up before the draw takes place. I believe KDFW leases some 6000 acres of strip mines, I cant remember what area. There are some real smokers killed every year. You can call KDFW and talk to them, they have been very helpful in giving me information.

IIRC, after you are drawn, you then submit your $ and select your area/zone. I don't believe they are assigned.
When does the hunt application start/end?
check out....http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/

"Elk Lottery Permit - Persons who wish to hunt in the 2010 Elk Quota Hunt shall purchase an elk draw permit. The department shall select hunters by a random drawing of all valid elk draw permit holders. Hunters must comply with all applicable laws and regulations. A person cannot apply more than one time per application period. The permit will be sold until 4/30/2010."

KY F&G Homepage
does anybody know if you have to have a guide if you are non-resident? a fellow poster thinks you might have to.
No you dont need one.
thanks. i had a buddy that hunted deer there 10 yrs. or so ago and said he had to have a guide to hunt and he thought maybe they did that for the elk draw also. thanks for the info. -keith
As an aside...you dont "need" a guide to do any hunting in KY, its not mandatory for an out of stater.

Good luck on the draw.
just curious. has it ever been or when did it stop being that way. like i said, my buddy paid to have a guide cause he was told at one time you needed one as a non-resident. just wondered if that was not the case or if it changed at some point.
As far as I know it never has been that way.
If that were ever the case, i didn't know it.
I just applied my wife and I for the Elk lottery.........I hope one of us gets drawn.
Keep posting up info on the web about it......that way everyone can put in for it and the odds are even greater against you getting drawn...pick up the phone and call KY game and fish....
dude, calm down. this is a forum for asking questions. not only that, but it often leads to interesting discussions. no one is trying to horn in on your hunting territory.-keith
dude, it was a joke..........I live in AL, not KY.
skywalker,

Try telling it slower... grin
I can record it and sound out each syllable if I need to.... smile

I was only pickin at him. Meant in jest.
That's what the "grin" is for...
you set the hook skywalker and i bit! ha. ha. seriously, it's all cool. i had heard about this draw from a buddy and thought it was interesting and would make an informative thread. didn't get where you were coming from at first. i seen what the odds are and i probably don't stand a prayer anyways.-keith
NP, Keith....I was in an aggrivatin mood. Chances are slim, but you will never draw if you never try. Give it a shot, if you draw, let me know and I will see what I can do to come help you spot and pack out if you want! smile
Hey,

Anyone know when KY will notify the lucky winners if they've been drawn?
When will you know whether you�ve been drawn?

Results of the elk draw will be posted on the department�s web site in early May.
You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning then drawing a tag via the KY system. If you do draw though you have some excellent hunting on your hands.
Heres whats on the KY website right now.

"Elk Lottery Results posted here May 5th at 5:00 p.m"
"You were not selected for an Elk Quota Hunt this year. Thank you for applying. Good luck next year." frown
Originally Posted by sambo3006
"You were not selected for an Elk Quota Hunt this year. Thank you for applying. Good luck next year." frown

Same here
no soap for me either........ten bucks a pop means lots of dough for that state......
Both my wife and I got the same results.

You were not selected for an Elk Quota Hunt this year. Thank you for applying. Good luck next year.

Jerks.
same as above .I will try again next year.
no dice....
me neither
No I didnt get drawn either.
I got drawn for a bull elk. I've been offered guide service by Licking River Outfitters. Do any of you all know anything about them?

Thanks,

Heather
If you were drawn, you will receive copious amounts of offers from outfitters via the mail.
Heather62 congrats on your drawing a bull tag that is indeed something to celebrate.
Originally Posted by sambo3006

I have seen that one before grin
No go fo me...
No go for me too...been trying last 2 years.
© 24hourcampfire