Home
Hi guys, I'm wondering what you think are the best boots for hunting elk in wet conditions. I've been hunting with a friend for the last 6 days (I got mine on opening day 11-6-10). We've had mixed conditions with snow and rain and my boots only hold up for about the first 2 days, then after that they are wet!!! My friend has 3 pairs so he can switch out when one gets wet. I think his are danners with goretex and mine are Lacrosse. Thanks for your help, BSA.
I like the Cabelas house brand hunters (the ones with the nipple sole). The sole is best for mud and snow. With condensation in mind, it is hard to argue against two pairs. With my pac boots (which I don't wear often anymore) I have two pairs of liners. Makes a huge difference when you swap out the interior each day.
I wear Danner Super Rainforest boots, and they are great. And it is WET where I live. I can wade through any water that doesn't go over the top of the boots and still be dry inside. I did oil them up with Hubberd's boot grease as soon as I got them, and will do that periodically.
I switch boots during a hunt also but I use Lacrosse Grange quite a bit. They are a rubber knee high boot - uninsulated.
They fit a lot like a rubber moccasin, very comfortable, always dry. They are odorless which is good for elk hunting. Since they are uninsulated you will have to maintain warmth from the sock you wear. I've never been cold in them. The Grange does not have an agressive tread but is still able to perform well on fairly steep terrain because the fit will contour to your foot.
I got into a pair of Cabelas Meindel "Perfekt" this year and was very happy with them. I had the older Meindel hunters before and have used Rocky and also have some shorter non insulated ones as well. The Perfekt boots did very well. Most comfortable and help aid your foot in breathing with the foot bed stuff. Also, good cusion compared to my others and they didn't soak through at all and I even crossed creeks with them.
I have the perfekts, denalis and mountain hunters. I just gave away my 9 year old ak hunters. none of them leak, all are good quality. I think to do it over I would have not bouht the denalis and bought the ak hunters again. all will last several years of hunting....my ak hunters were still leak free.....and beat to death.
Have had Mendl Perfekts and now Lowa GTX (sheephunters) and both have been flawless even in rainy western wa
Schnee's Pac boots are perfect for the conditions you describe. Get an extra pair of felt liners so you can change them out every day.

I got mine at an RMEF raffle, and figured I would wear them only when in snow or mud, but I was really pleasantly surprised by how comfortable they are. I wear them a lot.
13" Schnee's Pac for me, but I also use Columbia Bugaboo's.

Very pleased with both..
I have tried Red-Wings and Rocky Boots! I was not a happy camper with either of them, they leaked and the soles came off the Rocky's after 3 weeks. It took me 5 months to get them repaired and I do NOT hunt with them anymore.

I have had good success with Cabela's brand boots "Iron Ridge" for one and usd them 4 seasons plus around the property etc. A good boot.
Originally Posted by McInnis
Schnee's Pac boots are perfect for the conditions you describe. Get an extra pair of felt liners so you can change them out every day.

Definitely my choice fo multi-day trips or hunting in camp, swap the liners out every day so they are dry and keep a puck of leather treatment handy and you are set. Even a great Gore-Tex boot will get you wet (and cold) from the inside if worn day after day hunting and hiking if you can not properly dry them each night.
I have used the Kenetrek Mountain extreme 400's for the past year. They are very well made and waterproof.

ddj
An breathable material (leather or fabric) will eventually get wet. Well treated pacs with at least one pair of spare liners.
I hunted in at least 10 days of rain this year and the Kenetrek pacs 400 grams worked great a little heavy. I wish they made a uninsulated one but I too have extra liners and just changed them out. I had debated on some kind of rubber boot but decided on the packs. I think you need a rubber bottom for serious wet weather. My kenetreck Mt Boots will eventualy get wet too you just over whelm them with water like we had. It's like walking in a creek all day.
I wouldnt focus so much on the brand or "model" of the boot. I would just look for a good quality boot that fits your foot well and is comfortable for YOU to wear for extended periods. I would recommend that whatever you decide on be lined with Gore-Tex. As I learned when I started Elk hunting, if it aint Gore-Tex, it aint waterproof. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.
I just ordered a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrable from Camofire.com. Their type of "Gore-tex" seems to breath well and these were not insulated and seemed like a good early season/hiking/antelope boot.

ddj
I just packed my 2 fav pairs of boots for a Thur/Fri elk hunt.

*Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

*Kenetrek Mtn Xtreme 400's

And of course....some Kenetrek gators... wink

Dober
Wish Kenetrek made their pac boots in wide widths. Went to Cabela's to buy a pair before my elk hunt, but they won't fit my dang feet.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

*Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

Dober

Great minds think alike!!

ddj
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

*Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

Dober

Great minds think alike!!

ddj

Sounds like great minds also like dry and warm feet. BSA.
Schnees pac boots or Schnees Beartooth for me. They were spectacular on my recent elk hunt.
Light weight Gor-Tex mountaineering boots. I use Asolo's because they fit me just right.
a note on the rubber boots.. if you pick up a $3 pair of felt insoles to stick under the factory (or your) insoles they can play a big part in keeping your feet warm. just not allowing the transfer of cold up through the soles makes a big difference..

woofer
Hanwag!!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hi guys, I'm wondering what you think are the best boots for hunting elk in wet conditions. I've been hunting with a friend for the last 6 days (I got mine on opening day 11-6-10). We've had mixed conditions with snow and rain and my boots only hold up for about the first 2 days, then after that they are wet!!! My friend has 3 pairs so he can switch out when one gets wet. I think his are danners with goretex and mine are Lacrosse. Thanks for your help, BSA.

Which ever boots buy, consider a pair of good waterpoof/breathable gaitors over the top of them, and you will be a lot drier.

But as others have said, regardless of how waterproof your boots are, your feet are going to end up damp from sweat, even with goretex lined boots..
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Which ever boots buy, consider a pair of good waterpoof/breathable gaitors over the top of them, and you will be a lot drier.

But as others have said, regardless of how waterproof your boots are, your feet are going to end up damp from sweat, even with goretex lined boots..

Been there and done that. Thanks for the many good suggestions guys. bsa
I just bought a pair of Zamberlan Sellas and a pair of Lowa GTX Hunters and so far I really like both of them. Had some ankle issues this year and have been spending a ridiculous amount trying to keep from really ripping it out.

The Kenetreks are very comfortable but I got in a bad spot this year leading a string down a brutal stretch I should have rode but walked instead and rolled my right ankle. The mules were unimpressed.

The Lowa�s have great ankle support and protected my weakened ankle on a pretty easy 5 day elk hunt in CO this week.

The Kenetrek gaiters are really good and the boots (Mountain Extreme) are great but have a little less ankle than some others. Makes for quick break-in and a very comfortable boot but will give a little less protection to your ankle if you screw up. World is full of tradeoffs.

On a side not I hunted with a buddy wearing Meindl Canada Hunters and his were noticeably louder when a misstep hit a rock and they had that annoying Meindl squeak.

The squeaks can usually be treated out... I have to use chapstick on the tongue of my HanWags at times.

Anyone that uses goretex and waterproof in the same statement should get their head examined.

I'm tempted to get Schnees.... but I just got back from a WET Alaska deer hunt. We had to access beach by skiff every day. Lets just say if its 15 or warmer out... and or along the lines of wet.... my newest thing is featherweight waste high stocking foot waders and good wading boots. WOW is all I can say so far.

In the meantime Han Wags and maybe Kenetrek for the wifes new ones... and good gaiters.
Originally Posted by red_alder_ranch
I wear Danner Super Rainforest boots, and they are great. And it is WET where I live. I can wade through any water that doesn't go over the top of the boots and still be dry inside. I did oil them up with Hubberd's boot grease as soon as I got them, and will do that periodically.

Same here, even the Huberd's.
Schnees,extra pair of liners and gaiters,no complaints.As someone mentioned earlier, I find myself wearing them more than I thought I would.
The best boots are always the other guys, I used to just take 2 or 3 pairs of white loggers & dry 2 - wear 1, till it got real snowy & cold (this was back when White's were about $60 & I could afford 3 pairs)(wore them for work every day too), then several liners & good winter packs, White also made a cowboy shaped one for us poor little horsbackers.
MC
It depends a lot on the temperature and snow conditions. Sloppy snow is best handled by pacs and changing liners. Schnees is my favorite but I haved som Sorels too. Gore Tex will flood sooner or later if it is in sloppy snow.

I have the best luck in just rain with Danner Rain Forests in Western Oregon and Danner Elk Hunters in Eastern Oregon.

Gaiters and greasing your toe cap at night can help a lot.

To dry them in elk camp we drag in a gas Powered Boot Dryer.
© 24hourcampfire