Home
Going elk hunting with a friend in colorado next fall. He says most shots are standing shots due to brush and a set of sticks of some sort are a must.

I've narrowed down to Bog Pod and Primos Trigger stick. Also can't decide between tripod or bipod. Opinions? Actual experience with these brands/products? Plan to practice a lot between now and next October.

Opinions welcome and appreciated - i know there are a couple threads on this or related topics in Elk Hunting and Africa forums but thought I'd just ask my specific question instead of infering from answers to related questions.

Also, as much as I'd like to make my own I don't think that is feasible given airline travel required to get to my destination.

Thanks.
Looking at the Primos Bipod Trigger Stick myself, anxious to hear some comments.
Sorry, but Bog Pod (tripod) all the way. They are very steady and can bouble as a very sturdy walking stick while out on a long stock.
thanks clay. is it easy to set up in the field if I'm using it by myself with binoculars and rifle slung/in hand?
Yes. the other nice thing is using it as a steady for glassing. Just lay the bino's on the rest nice steady view.
I got the Primos Trigger thingy this fall and really like it. Used it for elk and antelope. Not as stable as the tripod but very quick to set up. Also doubles as a walking stick.
Bog pod....no question about it.
Primos Trigger Stick....no question about it.
Bog Pod +1
I can't speak of the Primos but used a Bog Pod tripod for a week in Montana this year - great unit. It sure beat the twist locking types that refused to lock in the cold. Tripod beats the bipod hands down every day.
Thanks guys - placing order now for bog pod tripod model. appreciate all of the comments.
Bog all the way.
Trigger stick. Not quite as steady as a bipod but it does away with a lot of fumbling around when it's time to be shooting.
I wanted to buy the primo's trigger stick.. but every time I picked them up, they seemed real heavy for long walks up and down the mnts.?? So I went with the tripod bogpod.....
Just returned from a successful elk hunt in northwestern Colorado.I had never used shooting sticks, bipods, tripods, etc. and saw no need for them mainly because I had previously hunted elk only in steep mountains with lots of dark forest areas. I was unfamiliar with open country elk hunting. Had I not used my hunting partner's Bog Pod tripod, there's not much chance I could have made a 300+ yard shot. For one who has never used such a device (never even heard of a Bog Pod until last week),it feels quite awkward. However,I'm now a believer in the usefulness of the instrument and I'll buy one and practice with it.
no matter which one you are thinking of getting -
Take the time to practice! - practice! shooting off the sticks

i walk around yard and practiced with my scoped pellet gun - beaman - weighs about the same as most rifles-

made me more comfortable and allowed me to know how to set and shoot before getting into a hunting situation !

Az
© 24hourcampfire