Home
Mine is a Remington model 700 XCR II in 300 RUM with Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm
Easy: Ruger m77 MKII 338 win mag....

[Linked Image]

Bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10x40 with firefly reticle.

Both in Rem 700 and both with Leopold scopes...
Right now, mine would be a custom rifle built on a Savage action. It is light, short and quick. Caliber is a Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot. It is scoped with Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 with BDC. I believe the stock to be a Bell & Carlson. The barrel is fluted, the rifle lightened and the trigger done. The work looks like a garage project but it shoots well!
Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .280 Ackley Improved topped with a Nikon Monarch 4-14X50. Got the job done on Saturday October 1, 21 minutes into the season. First elk I have killed in a long time, I was very excited, still am to be honest.
Ruger #1B 30-06, 165 gr. Accubond or Partition, 6x42mm Leupold!
David
Congratulations!!! smile
winchester model 70 classic stainless .338 , VX-3 4.5x14x40mm
I would have to say my Sav 99 in 300 Sav w/ 4X M8. It hasen't killed an elk for a couple years though as I have mainly bowhunted elk lately.
I don't really need to shoot an elk this year as I haven't finished eating last year's bull, but if I do, it will be with my custom .300 Weatherby Vanguard shooting a 168 gr TSX... unless it's raining, in which case I'll use my Remington 700 in 7 mm Rem mag shooting a 160 gr Accubond.
Mines a Ruger MKII Stainless, 300 win mag, Swarovski 3x9, MPI stock.
[Linked Image]
Old Savage 111E safe-queen I traded a horseshoeing and a mule trim for.
7mm Rem, loaded slightly above book, just shy of excessive pressures and still driving tacks with 139g SSTs or 140 NBTs. With a Ziess Z-600 3X9-40 ,screwed down with a Game Reaper one piece mount.
I havent hunted elk since 2004, but my little brother will be waiting to drop the hammer on a cow. Season starts this friday and he will have my 257 wby with 100 TTSX ready to roll.
Same rifle
I've been using since 79----Remington 700 LH 30/06 topped with a Redfield 4x. Going 1st rifle in Colorado. I'll be using 180 grain Hornady interlock handloads.

this season, I'm using my M70 300 WSM with 3-9 vxll Leupold and 168 TTSX's
[Linked Image]
Ruger M77 338 Win Mag with a Burris Signature 3-9x40.
Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H.
Rem 700 SS 300wsm in EDGE McM. 168 TTSX @ 3100 zeroed at 140y matches the RapidZ 600 perfectly (+/- 2") at 9x.
Don't really have just one. I have taken elk with a variety of cartridges ranging from .270 up through .375 H&H. I am taking a couple of Ruger No. 1s to camp this year: a .338 Win Mag and a 9.3x74R.

If I had to pick just one, any of the rifles that I have used over the past 47 years would work just fine. Still, I would probably be partial to that pre-64 Model 70 in .30-06 that I bought when I was 18. I killed my first bull with it. I kind of hope that I will take the last one with it, too, but (God willing) that's still a few years down the road.
I only own 2 any more. One is my dad's '50ish Rem 721 30-06. My other one that I use all the time is a Savage 300 WSM. It's actually lighter than the '06 so it's got a bit more 'boost' to the shoulder. So far it's accounted for 2 deer and 2 elk since I traded my 270 for it and it's 100% on what I've shot at with it. I love Savage's Accu-trigger.

BTW - I don't care a bit about what a gun looks like. It's a tool and I expect to use it like one. If I need something to cuddle and pet, I have a perfectly good wife for the job.
As of this moment its ye ole Remmy 700 280 AI, complete with 140 TSX's.

Joseph

Thompson Center Icon Weathershield 30-06, Federal Pemium HE 180 grain Nosler Partitions (2,900 fps), Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40 scope.

KC

Mine's a Pre 64 Win M70 chambered for the .338-06. My favorite bullet is the 210 gr. Nosler Partion.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WyoHunter10
Mine's a Pre 64 Win M70 chambered for the .338-06. My favorite bullet is the 210 gr. Nosler Partion.
[Linked Image]

Very nice, that is damn near perfection for elk I'd imagine...
I just shot a 600 pounder with a Tikka T-3 Lite 30-06 with a Pentax Gameskeeper 4-12X 40. It went down immediately being hit in the shoulder with the bullet lodged in the backstrap. I was not too happy with the bullet when I got it out. it was a Hornady
Light Magnum 165 grain SST, factory loaded. The retained weight was only 93.5 grains. True, it did the job and mushroomed nicely, losing almost half of it's weight surprised me. Any thought's. It was only a 50 yard shot.
Originally Posted by rondrews
I just shot a 600 pounder with a Tikka T-3 Lite 30-06 with a Pentax Gameskeeper 4-12X 40. It went down immediately being hit in the shoulder with the bullet lodged in the backstrap. I was not too happy with the bullet when I got it out. it was a Hornady
Light Magnum 165 grain SST, factory loaded. The retained weight was only 93.5 grains. True, it did the job and mushroomed nicely, losing almost half of it's weight surprised me. Any thought's. It was only a 50 yard shot.

My thought is that the SST isn't as hardy as the Interlock. I shot non-Light-Magnum factory loads in .30-06, & kept digging jackets out of the backstop at the range. I switched to Interlocks in handloads, & now I pull out intact bullets.

On my actual elk hunt, I used factory loaded 165 Interbonds, resulting in 1 pass through, & a 2nd resulting in a perfect mushroom lodged in the off-side temple.

And yes - this is a neat place where we can argue about bullet failures in dead critters... blush

FC
Ruger # 1 in 30-06.
Model 700 stainless mountain rifle, .30/06 with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40. Backup is a 700 CDL fluted, stainless 7 Mag with Conquest 4.5-14X50. Both with handloads (180 gr and 160 gr Accubonds, respectively) approximating factory ballistics.
totally depends on the area and ranges,I expect to get shots, and if Im planing on sitting and watching across a canyon, for anything moving thru that looks impressive enough to shoot, or still hunting timber, as part of a group, looking to call or jump elk.
I take the 340wby on most opening days, but after about 3 days I revert to the other two, and in 40 years plus of hunting elk I can,t remember having more than 2-3 shots past 300 yards

340wby long range (0-500 plus yards
375 H&H medium range (0-350plus yards)
35 whelen short range timber hunts (0-250 plus yards)
all three rifles kill elk just fine
I believe from here on out, it will be my .300 Wby. Mag.
I'm not wedded to a single rifle and like to try new things. So far I've killed elk with:

Ruger #1 416 Rigby
Ruger hawkeye .338 WM
Browning (don't laugh) .338 WM
Browning (don't laugh) .375 H&H
Rem 700 375 H&H
Rem 700 270 Win
Ruger hawkeye 30-06

new-to-try this coming season Ruger Hawkeye 280AI 160 TSX
I have been using my Kimber Montana 300 Win Mag. Last year filled my cow tag with it using a 180 Accubond. This year I will be shooting 168gr TTSX.
Originally Posted by ts300wsm
Mine is a Remington model 700 XCR II in 300 RUM with Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

I'm fussy about rifles. I have not had an elk rifle I was truly satisfied with yet. I'm still searching for that combination of accuracy with an acceptable bullet, both long and short range adequacy, portability, yet enough weight to manage recoil, to all converge in a single package. I came close a couple years ago but the rifle wouldn't give accuracy with a bullet I wanted to hunt elk with.

This year will see me head for the elk hills with a TC Custom Shop .58 Renegade ... since I have a ML-only tag and that's the ML I currently own. It has accuracy issues but if I get within 50 yards, there will be a dead elk.

Next year I return to centerfire but I'm seriously considering switching to handgun, then sticking with that 'til I succeed.

Tom
first trip in the woods for a Sako 85 Finn 300 WM, The glass is a redfield revo 4x10x40. Hope to have the Leupy 3.5x10x40 cds on it for next year.
What ever rifle I have in my hands when he steps out.
BBJ
It's a Rem 700 Left Hand in 7 Mag that I bought in 1980. I had all metal parts coated with Teflon and put a H-S Precision stock (ADL type - no floorplate) on it. In fact I just checked the zero on it yesterday. Still shoots great with Nosler 160 grain Partitions that I handload with IMR4831.
Anything greater than/equal to .24 caliber.
Originally Posted by 340mag
totally depends on the area and ranges,I expect to get shots, and if Im planing on sitting and watching across a canyon, for anything moving thru that looks impressive enough to shoot, or still hunting timber, as part of a group, looking to call or jump elk.
I take the 340wby on most opening days, but after about 3 days I revert to the other two, and in 40 years plus of hunting elk I can,t remember having more than 2-3 shots past 300 yards

340wby long range (0-500 plus yards
375 H&H medium range (0-350plus yards)
35 whelen short range timber hunts (0-250 plus yards)
all three rifles kill elk just fine
................Same thing basically applies to me. My go to elk rifle and cartridge depends on terrain and expected shooting distances.

Whichever of the three below I go to at the time, will be at that time, my go to round.

Thoughts are you ought to be tickled pink you got to even shoot an elk let alone the bangflop that occured when you did. As you said the bullet did it's job, you have a dead elk, just what is it you think a bullet that retained 100% of its weight would of done for you?

My go to elk rifle these days is my Savage 99 in 308, if I know that the ranges will be 200 yds or less I'll take either the 405 or one of the Sharps loaded with paperpatched bullet.

Hey, Troutfinder, welcome to the CampFire!

Good job with the .280 AI, they are lots of fun.

I too choose my rifle based on where I will be hunting. My all-around (and main) elk rifle is a Remington 700 in .338 Magnum. It will hit hard at close range and reach out as far as I care to shoot.

When hunting mixed timber where shots tend to be close, but CAN stretch out to 300 yards or so....it's a Savage 99 in .358 Win.

For hunting the dark timber where I "know" shots will be close and fast....a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 gets the nod.
yup. mixed or dark timber, stretching to 300 or so(or so and so and so...)that's just why my kimber in260 is my choice
6.5x55. My go to rifle for everything.
Originally Posted by HatchieDawg
6.5x55. My go to rifle for everything.

mine too
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

And yes - this is a neat place where we can argue about bullet failures in dead critters... blush

FC

Yup - an animal can die even if the bullet fails. It all depends on the criteria for bullet success.
Not sure what my backup will be, but the Ruger MKII .338 WM below will be my primary elk rifle this year.

[Linked Image]

The Ruger #1 in .280 Rem was blooded this last weekend, else it would have been the top candidate for the #2 spot. Might still get the job.

In terms of number of hunts and kills, though, my Ruger M77 in 7mm RM was the choice for 20+ years and never disappointed.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Not sure what my backup will be, but the Ruger MKII .338 WM below will be my primary elk rifle this year.

[Linked Image]

The Ruger #1 in .280 Rem was blooded this last weekend, else it would have been the top candidate for the #2 spot. Might still get the job.

In terms of number of hunts and kills, though, my Ruger M77 in 7mm RM was the choice for 20+ years and never disappointed.

What barrel/sights are on the 338?

Thanks
I hunt elk with my deer rifles
My Montana 7WSM will be my go-to this season, and perhaps all future seasons, as well. Wearing an FX3 6x42 w/M1 elevation, shooting 140gr TTSX for close-medium range, and 162gr AM for longer range. I'll take the Ruger Hawkeye AW .280 w/ Conquest 3-9x40 with target turrets as backup. It'll be shooting the 130gr GS Custom HV.
i usually take my 30-06, but this year (and all future years, the Lord willing) i'm taking my new win model 70 super grade in 270 win. it's my new "one rifle for everything" as i enter my golden years. best of luck to all who are chasing elk this year.
I just finished one day of the range duty and from the 150 people that came to sight in their rifles, 75% were 30-06, another 10% were .300 WSM and the rest were 7mm Mag, a RUM of one or another type, another 300 mag etc and an odd this or that. Without a doubt, 30-06 is the number one caliber of choice with the locals in Colorado. People just have no imagination when it comes to caliber choice wink
ALthough I've got others that would work I'd pick my Pre 64 M70 300 H&H in a legend stock.
I worry less about elk rifles than I used to,and am satisfied with about anything reasonable...but my next elk hunt I will use my 7mm Mashburn Super.
Generally my 338-06.

[Linked Image]
Gonna be the GAP NonTypical 300wsm this year...
For years it has been the M70 358 Norma in the Legend stock, but BobinNH has as usual got it pegged. Give me a good bullet, and I'm happy.
I don't have a go-to. I killed a 6x5 with a .30-06, but if I'm fortunate enough to be able to chase another, I'll see if a .35 Whelen or a 7x57 kills them any better/worse than than the '06. They're all 700's, for those who'd care to cast stones... grin

FC
Two identical Mdl 700 rems. 300 mag with 168 ttsx and 35 whelen with 250 gr
Core locks. Both wear b&c stocks and both ceracote. Decision based on location and conditions, long or shorter shots
[Linked Image]

Wow... very nice.
The 30-06 is my favorite elk cartridge... it's the "every-man's elk gun."
Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless,.375 H&H, Tasco 6X24X40 TR,
with custom elevation cam cut for the 300g. Sierra BT's drop table, Burris Rings, synthetic stock, full size KDF, barrel is top Ported (16 X 1/16" holes), Pachmeyer Decellerator Pad, Harris Bipod, dual biathalon sling, Trigger reworked @ set to 1 lb., 300g. custom handload of Sierra Gameking BT @ 2600FPS, shoots 1" groups @ 100YDS now. Cross canyon elk rifle that weighs in at 11.5 lbs. Wanted a weatherproof rifle that has 1000FT/lbs remaining at 800 yds for elk with a built in range estimation system (Tasco TR scope)to back up my Leupold rangefinder. Need a bigger piece of glass like a Nightforce 12X42x56 Precision Benchrest. Takes money. Considering a Canjar single set. Gun needs pillar bedding and more load work and the Canjar to try to get the accuracy down. Works for now.

M70 in 300 Webby
Rem 700 XCR SS in 338 RUM. 225 gr AB's does the job nicely.
35 Whelen ts Ruger M77 Speer 250 grains. New batch of IMR 4320 is pushing it at 2520 fps.
Mauser .375 H&H - Speer 235 grain at 2690 fps.

Terry
Ruger Mk-II RS in 338 Win Mag with Leupold 3.5 x 10 AO VXIII loaded with factory Barnes 225 TSX. Five years in a row, five dead elk from 65 to 411 yards.

Perry

[Linked Image] [/quote]

I'll agree with Brad, that rifle is about perfect for a wood stocked rifle in my eyes. The same in a 30-06 would suit me just as well. Any details available on the stock?
If I had to chose a bullet for under 300 yard work, it would be the Swift A Frames. They are better than old Nosler parts for both penetration and retained bullet weight and that is saying alot for elk.

http://bigfivehq.com/bullets.htm

Serious bullet penetration testing done on dead elephants. So the penetration numbers are for real, not on newspaper and boards. Bullet make and style regardless of caliber should perform the same regardless of caliber. Notice retained weight and penetration for Swift A-Frames.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=512074 Review of 180g Swift A Frame on elk.
M70 Classic 338 WM sporting a 6x Leupold wink
In recent years I've been buying some better rifles and adding optics suited to the quality of the guns.

What I am finding is that even with superior quality hardware I still can't shoot better than I can with the old average quality gun that I carried for 30 years and did all of my formative learning with.

A lot of muscle memory there. With 3 decades on my shoulder it has become nearly an appendage. The rifle is nothing special, a Model 81 in 7mmRM with an old 4X M8 scope.

I'm finding you can only buy performance up to a certain point. Many miles on foot and many seasons and kills and years of practice provide a certain familiarity with a firearm that I have not been able to buy with money.
7mm Weatherby Accumark with a 4.5 x 14 Leupold VX-3 or a 300 Weatherby stainless fluted barrel with a 3.5 x 10 VX-III.
Originally Posted by Alamosa
In recent years I've been buying some better rifles and adding optics suited to the quality of the guns.

What I am finding is that even with superior quality hardware I still can't shoot better than I can with the old average quality gun that I carried for 30 years and did all of my formative learning with.

A lot of muscle memory there. With 3 decades on my shoulder it has become nearly an appendage. The rifle is nothing special, a Model 81 in 7mmRM with an old 4X M8 scope.

I'm finding you can only buy performance up to a certain point. Many miles on foot and many seasons and kills and years of practice provide a certain familiarity with a firearm that I have not been able to buy with money.

Sage wisdom here.....Alamosa is obviously a veteran. wink
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I worry less about elk rifles than I used to,and am satisfied with about anything reasonable.

Bob, my experience with elk rifles is those with the least elk hunting experience often pack the biggest weapon. When I started elk hunting I was no exception!

Nowaday's I'm happy with most anything that requires less than 60 gr's of powder, uses a Fed 210 primer and RCBS no.3 shellholder.
Winchester model 70 in 270 winchester, Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40, sits in a Featherweight tupperware stock and shoots 150gr Federal Vital Shok Nosler Partitions.
Brad, knowing what you can do with the rifle.....confidence...is the biggest factor I think.So long as it's reasonable,lots of things work well. smile

Ive been hunting now for 40 plus years mostly for elk, but a bunch of average size mule deer and a few dozen reasonably large hogs have also been collected,
I always see guys pitching the use of premium bullets and I can easily see why if your using a 30 cal or smaller caliber pushing a bullet to over 2800fps, but Id point out that I seldom see any need for anything more exotic that a common speer, hornady,remington or winchester bullet if you select a reasonable bullet design with at least a .260 sectional density and if you select a 338-378,375,.458 caliber rifle and keep the muzzle velocitys semi reasonable, in almost every case Ive seen where a bullet shredded on impact it was the result of some guy pushing too light weight of a bullet for the application to excess velocities.
my late hunting partner used a 358 win caliber BLR for years, Ive used a 35 whelen and a 358 win, plus a 375 H&H and 338/06, 30/06 and 340 wby, some of the guys in our camp use a 45/70 or other calibers like a 308 win, and what I consistently see is a good standard bullet placed correctly does the job regardless, of caliber if it holds together and they usually do just fine at expanding and penetration,if your not pushing them past about 2800fps at the muzzle and can place them in the heart/lung area.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
M70 in 300 Webby

Same here, mine's a Classic that I had Hill Country cerrakote and bed in a McMillan "Bridges".
Well, I doubt I can do anything remarkable with a rifle but I do know confidence is important.

There's no "right" answer for elk rifles. I say, as long as you can shoot it, pick something that makes you happy and work with it... they all kill elk!
The last few elk I've killed I used my .50 T/C Triumph, 100gr 777, and 250gr T/C Shockwaves. Switching to Barnes 250gr T-EZ's this year.
win .264 mag
leupold vxII 2-7
140 grn berger vld
My custom .30-06 model 70 classic Featherweight, Krieger factor contour with McMillan featherweight stock and 3.5x10 L. I'll be shooting 168 TSXs at 2875.

Can't wait for CO 3rd rifle in area 67.

Ken
Originally Posted by LSP552
My custom .30-06 model 70 classic Featherweight, Krieger factor contour with McMillan featherweight stock and 3.5x10 L. I'll be shooting 168 TSXs at 2875.

Can't wait for CO 3rd rifle in area 67.

Ken

That should get the job done in style. Sounds nice, do you have pics?????
Mine is Remington 700BDL in 7MM MAG. Wanting to try out my .257 WBY Mag model 700CDL.
rem 700 stainless something or other in 300 rum with stomping 180 sirocco if it's not archery hunting with drenaline and muzzys
It has been a Knight LK93 with 2 60grain pellets behind a .54 Caliber .348gr powerbelt. Have only shot deer with it so far.

This year it is a Browning Stainless Stalker in .338WM with a 250gr partition and a Leupold M8 4x33.
Mine is a Jim Cloward built .300 Super Mag. Built on a Win Model 70 action, Pacific Research fiberglass stock, Douglas barrel. The whole thing is black teflon coated. I've got detatchable scope mounts (need to get the Leupold type some day) and had iron sights put on it in case my scope got buggered on a hunt.
I had the barrel Mag-Na-Ported to reduce recoil and bother the guys next to me at the range. It shoots better than I'll admit to here because people just call BS since it's a magnum and those can't possibly be accurately used.

I'll hunt anything from antelope to moose with it and be happy about it. I'm too cheap to have rifle for every animal I'd like to shoot.

I shoot the Nosler partitions in 180 grain out of it. They fly right and do the job but I'm thinking about messing around with something with a better BC for those longer pokes after watching John Burns' video series about shooting beyond belief. Lots of good info. there.
270 Win 150 gr NP in a tang safety Ruger M77 composite stock topped with a Leupy 2.5-8X Vari X III.

I've got a 338 Win in the safe if ever I'm convinced the 270 isn't big enough. (unlikely to happen)
sgt217 - what 6mm bullet?
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H.
Trajectory closely follows that of the .30-06 with 180 grainers, but with a lot more terminal power (cape buffalo capable levels), however it seems to me that you're sacrificing in the area of a heavier rifle with more felt recoil. Most who regularly use .30-06/.308 class calibers don't seem to believe more power than that is needed to bring down even the toughest bull elk (even with non-ideal shot angles). Have you had experience that contradicts this?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

Aren't .338 caliber bullets mostly designed to perform ideally at Win Mag velocities? Seems like that's a drawback for the .338-06 concept.

Beautiful pre-64 Winchester 70. Looks like a Super Grade.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H.
Trajectory closely follows that of the .30-06 with 180 grainers, but with a lot more terminal power (cape buffalo capable levels), however it seems to me that you're sacrificing in the area of a heavier rifle with more felt recoil. Most who regularly use .30-06/.308 class calibers don't seem to believe more power than that is needed to bring down even the toughest bull elk (even with non-ideal shot angles). Have you had experience that contradicts this?

[Linked Image]

In my experience almost any caliber from 257 roberts up to 458 win can deliver a mortal wound, the questions not so much "can you kill an elk with your rifle" as it is "can you reasonably expect to kill an elk shooting from any reasonable range and with the elk not standing at an ideal broad side angle and still have him drop close to the point where he stood at bullet impact."

when I started elk hunting nearly all the hunters in our group used a 30/06 and 180-220grain bullets, those rifles KILLED just fine, but even with good shot placement the elk seldom dropped on bullet impact, most ran, some stood, most dropped inside 70-80 yards
when I swapped to a 340 wby and occasionally a 375 H&H they didn,t kill elk any deader, but there sure was a noticeable difference in the elks reaction when hit, it was obvious it hit harder,some still ran, some stood,then dropped, most dropped, and most fell inside 30-40 yards
from a pragmatic view either caliber resulted in a one shot kill, and a 30/06 had less recoil, cost less and was easier to carry, but there was little doubt in my experience that the larger calibers got the elks full attention much better, and dressing them out showed the larger heavier bullets tended to be more consistent in performance, penetrated deeper and broke bones more effectively
From near as I can tell from the several elk I've shot with the 405 and the witnessed 375 ouchnouch kills, the only noticable difference is the sound of the bullet hitting home, other wise it's about the sameolsame ol , elk either locks up and stands there , falls over, or walks/runs off a ways and then dies.
The cow elk that had a 270 gr from a 375 complete pass thru the rib cage on a quartering away angle was a huge dissappointment, not only did she wander on another 200 yds, there was not 1 drop of blood on her hair or on the ground. Had she not of been out in the open the entire time we may not of recovered her.
The 45-80 with a 550 gr paper patch was the most dramatic non CNS stop I've ever seen. That little raghorn got hit at 204 yds and he just folded up into a sleeping position in midstride , hit the ground on his side and never moved even as much as a twitch.
With all that said if a big bore of one flavor or another gives you more self confidence then by all means have right at it. However if you feel more secure by using your tried and true nonmagnum rifle then go right to it, they all work and work well, but the bullet has to go where it supposed to. After all in or around 1904 there was a series of articles in Field and Forest about which was the better elk cartridge the 30-30 or the 30-40. The only thing that has really changed much is the numbers on the cartridge.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

Aren't .338 caliber bullets mostly designed to perform ideally at Win Mag velocities? Seems like that's a drawback for the .338-06 concept.

Beautiful pre-64 Winchester 70. Looks like a Super Grade.

I think you just need to be aware of what bullet you pick to reload. A 210 partition will perform well across a wide range of velocity and will do well with a 338-06. Loaded ammo is a no brainer. The 338-06 doesn't give up enough velocity to the 338 WM to knock it out of the performance range of most bullets. With the increase interest of this cartridge and other numbers like the 338 Fed bullet selection is better.

Two reasons resulted in that (almost bad) situaion.

1. 165 grain is simply too light for deeper penetration (as needed with elk) unless the bullet is built for deep penetration as a partition/TSX/etc bullets are.
2. 50 yards is CLOSE and that bullet was still traveling very close to muzzle speed resulting in a high speed imapct with dense muscle and tissue with a too light of bullet.

Been killing elk for years and the rifle I have used the last tn years or so is a good ole 30/06 loaded with 180 grain bullets.
No matter the angle the elk stands at, they are dead out to about 300 yards.
After that range my eyes are not as trust worthy.
Last time my go-to rifle was this Ballard Pacific. .45-70.

[Linked Image]
It's generally my go to rifle for whatever. My 73 y.o. Husqvarna 146 rechambered to 9.3 x 62, with an old Redfield Lo-profile widefield 2-7x.

BN
Ruger 270 cal 130 gr bronze point
Keeping in mind that the .303 British was used extensively for all Canadian big game, any caliber that will destroy an elk's heart and/or lungs will put meat in freezers.

My preferred elk rifle is a Sako 7MM Rem Mag. But since I haven't hunted in 10 years due to shoulder surgeries, if I can hunt again, and I will give it a go next season, I will take my .308 Win. But if I can shoot my 7MM Rem Mag, I will use it. But I ain't risking another shoulder surgery to a magnum.

Good luck,

R
Sako 7-08 with 160gr Partitions and a Leupold 4-12x with B&C reticle. Several elk down with it including a 3.5 year old 6X6 at 412 yards quartering away with shattered offside shoulder. All one-shot kills. I love my 7-08. Totally enough rifle.

My alternates are a Savage 99 in 358 Win shooting 225gr Gamekings or a S&W 659 in .41 Rem Mag shooting 250gr Cast Performance hardcast bullets.
Sako AV classic re-barelled to .35 Whelen with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 on top. 250 gr. PSP of almost any make, at 2500 fps.
you can hardly go wrong with an accurate 35 whelen and 250 grain bullets, (mostly speer 250 grain)easily half the guys I hunt with have one, and every last guys been impressed with the results.
I have a remington slide action 35 whelen thats been the camp back-up rifle for years and that rifles, and its resulting kills in several guys hands has resulted in several people buying 35 whelens, Id be hard pressed to think of a better rifle for hunting the steep slopes and blowdowns
[Linked Image]

my late hunting partner preferred a BLR in 358 win, but either in skilled hands is a dependable elk killer
[Linked Image]
A Winchester model 70 in 300 ultra loaded with 180gr Nosler BT's at 3350fps is my go to gun, and a Remington 700 in 7mm Weatherby with Nosler partitions at 3050fps is my back up. I am also bringing a Sako 25-06AI stoked with 100gr tsx's
Model 70 FWT, pre 64 in.06 using 220 gr Sierra RN.

This rifle was my FIL's that he had left in a camping trailer which leaked.It was so badly rusted that we had to hammer the bolt open with a wooden mallet.The barrel was completely rusted so you could not see thru it.I bought a used barrel from Gun Parts.Unscrewed the old one, put the used one on and tested for head space.Had the action reblued after I cleaned it up as best I could, and made a new stock for it.

For years it had an old Weaver V-7 on it until a guy gave me a Leupold 2.5-8 for taking him elk hunting I guess.Can't say how many elk have fallen over from it, but it has been a bunch.

Big or small, they fall over. These are to get erone inthemood fro this years hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Semi Custom Sako Left Hand L691 I cobbled together over the past year. Douglas SS Barrel chambered .375H&H, HS Precision stock, Leupold CDS 4x12x40. Shoots 235 grain TSX's under 1 moa out to 550 yards with 2850 MV.

At 11 lbs, a little heavy. With 26" barrel, a little long. But as one of the previous posters stated, I am confident that the rifle will do it's part if I do mine...
Ruger #1 300 H&H, 168 gr Barnes and 200 gr Speer Grand slams
Those are some dang cool pics there saddlesore.

Gunner
Dang, i forgot to answer the OP's question crazy

My go to elk rifle for over 20 years is an old Mark V WBY. in 338/378 w/ a 28" Shilen pipe firing 225 TTSX's @3385.

New backup elk rifles are an old tang safety Ruger in 338 WM. firing 250 SAF's @2725 fps, and an old Belgium BAR 338 WM. shootin' the 225 TTSX's @2800 fps.

Gunner
© 24hourcampfire