Home
Posted By: bludog 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
Would be interested in any first hand experience obtained with the 154 gr (or 139 gr) Horn SP on elk. Wife and I are either going to NM or CO this year and she's set with 120 gr TTSX, but I'm looking at the 154 Horn outta my 284 win. MV will be around 2900 fps. I appreciate your input.
Thanks,
bludog
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
Will work fine(have not taken elk but caribou,bear and deer) but why not load some 140gr TSX's or even the 120grs TSX your wife is shooting if your concerned?
Posted By: bludog Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
Good question - may do that, or my go with the 150 gr Nos PT. Just looking for experience with this bullet - have heard some very good things on it. If it proves to be a shooter in the gun, then I'll give it serious consideration - it's seems to be a little tougher than the avg. C&C and it has the exact same SD as a 180 gr 30 cal.
I guess I understand the question if you already have a good accurate load worked up but if starting from ground zero it wouldn't be my 1st choice I'd roll with TSX
Posted By: Seafire Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
George has made some good suggestions and as far as the 154 SP Hornady... you won't be handicapped one bit with it either...
Posted By: mtrancher Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
I've not shot an elk with it but I have used it and the 139-grainer on big mule deer and one bighorn sheep. But, leading up to using it, I did quite a bit of penetration and expansion testing of numerous bullets using soaked newsprint with a hard outer shell. The Hornady did perform well in comparison to other cup and core bullets -- though I wouldn't say it was the best. So, if it is an accurate round for you, I think it will do fine if properly placed. I would not be real comfortable with it should you hit too far forward and straight into the shoulder. I might consider practicing with it but using an Interbond.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
The 154 gr Hornady will do its part if you do your. I wouldn't hesitate to use this bullet for Elk if my rifle shot them well. Elk aren't bullet proof like some would like to make you think
Posted By: DLSguide Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
I shoot a 284 built on a long action rem 700, so that I can use longer bullets seated out. The bullet that I use is the 162gr Hornady BT at about 2900 fps and it has done well on Elk. If I could get the 154 gr bullet to shoot well, I would use that too. It is a good C&C bullet. I loaded two boxes of 154 hornadys in a 7mm saum for a neighbor to take to Alaska a few years ago. He killed a dall sheep and a mountain Grizzly that trip. They seem to work. Daryl.
I appreciate everyone's input and opinions, keep them coming, just wondering if there is anyone on the Campfire that has actually fired a 154 Horn at an elk and what happened.
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I shoot a 284 built on a long action rem 700, so that I can use longer bullets seated out. The bullet that I use is the 162gr Hornady BT at about 2900 fps and it has done well on Elk. If I could get the 154 gr bullet to shoot well, I would use that too. It is a good C&C bullet. I loaded two boxes of 154 hornadys in a 7mm saum for a neighbor to take to Alaska a few years ago. He killed a dall sheep and a mountain Grizzly that trip. They seem to work. Daryl.

Daryl,

Thanks for the response - you responded before I had updated the screen. What velocity was your neighbor running with the 154's?

bludog
Around 2900 fps too. The rifle is a Rem mod 7 with a 22 inch barrel. I would have no worries with that bullet, but I wouldn't push it any faster. There is no perfect bullet for elk. I have killed many elk with a all kinds of cup and core bullets. Do a lot of shooting this year before your hunt, so you have confidence in your rifle. Get your rifle dialed in on the bench and then practice on hunting setups ect. sitting , prone, sticks, or off your pack. Trigger time will pay off for your hunt. Good luck, Daryl.
Posted By: byron Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
Loaded the 154 Hornady over 50 grns of IMR4350, R-P case's, and Fed 210 primer's in my wife's ruger in 280 Rem a few year's ago. She shot a nice little raghorn 5x6 at about 225 yard's. Worked like a charm.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
I've used the 154 gr almost exclusively in a 7x57 I had. Wonderful bullet. I also tried 139 gr bullet's in that rifle and they shot and killed well. The 154 gr was more accurate so it got the call. I found that Hornadys are tuffer than most cup and core bullet's.

I'm courious. The guy getting 2900fps with the 162 gr bullet, sounds awful hot to me. How are ypou doing that?
2900fps is what I loaded the 154's in my 7mm Rem Mag
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12

Yep, My wife Karen killed ten or twelve elk with the 154 Hornady SP Interlocked. She used a 7Mag and it was a one-shot killer every time.

Steve

Don, My 284 win is built on a long action mod 700 with a long throat to seat the bullets out. The rifle also has a 25" barrel. I am also using RL 17 powder, which is perfect for the short mags and 284. Google long action 284 win and see what you find. Daryl.
Posted By: roundoak Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
A 7x57 loaded with 49 grains H4350 under the 154 grain @ 2800 fps was my back up rifle to a Model 70 Alaskan .338 mag. on several elk and moose hunts. The Model 70 was put out of commission by a big old Roman nose, red roan horse whacking a tree.

The 7x57 brought down a Montana bull 5x6 elk that was standing broadside in a deadfall at about 30 paces. At the shot the elk jumped a couple of downed trees and crashed. The Hornday broke a rib going in and going out. Lungs were mush.

Days later in Idaho the 7x57 took a 5x5 elk at the edge of a meadow. Elk was quartering away from me at a higher elevation than me at 240 paces. Hit the heart and lung and exited without hiting any bone. Elk was recovered at 87 paces.

Put a new stock on the M70, sold it, took the 7x57 elk hunting the next fall loaded with 160 grain Nosler Partition. Sorry.

Wayne
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
Witnessed my brother dump a bull moose at 300 yards with one through the shoulders out of a 7 Rem Mag. Bull dropped at the shot, thrashed about for a few seconds, never moved from the spot. Bull came to rest against the skin on the far side, centred through both shoulder blades.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

Then, the fountain shortened, and shortened a little more and then stopped.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

Posted By: Ranch13 Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/02/12
My wifes 7x57 laid out a couple of elk stone cold dead using the 154 interloc, also a couple of long range shots on different muledeer made for plenty of deer jerky and sausage. Never did recover one of those bullets.
I throw the 154 IL's from a 7x57, so they're not going 2900 fps.

Still, after harvesting 5 hogs, a Dall sheep, a black bear, and 2 very ill-tempered ground squirrels, I have yet to recover one.

When that rifle goes on an elkspedition, it will be packing the 154 IL.

FC
Posted By: Waders Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/03/12
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Yep, My wife Karen killed ten or twelve elk with the 154 Hornady SP Interlocked. She used a 7Mag and it was a one-shot killer every time.

Steve

Bludog,

There's your schoolbook answer. If dogzapper recommends it, you don't need anything else.

As an aside, I've taken two elk with Hornady Interlocks. One with a 150gr out of a .30-06, and one with a 250gr from a 35 Whelen.
Posted By: OSB Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/03/12
The 154 interloc is a good bullet I have used it on game and had outstanding results. I still use it over the newer Hornady offerings.
Posted By: bludog Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/03/12
I agree Wade sounds like a strong endorsement and great Avatar by the way - you are blessed beyond measure. Thanks to all for your replies.

bludog
Posted By: boomwack Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/03/12
I have not used 154 interlocks on elk, but I do have some input on interlocks on elk.

I have used .338 250 IL spire points at 2700 fps on 3 elk, seen what 7mm 175 gr IL do to elk at 2700 fps and 2900 fps,and 30 cal 180 gr IL in round nose and spire points at 2700 and 3000 fps.

All elk perished right promptly, some dropped where they were from breaking massive bone structures hips/spine, shoulder/spine in wich two bullets were found in two elk. A 180 gr spire point from a 300wsm and 175 grain spire point from a 280 rem. One .338 250 gr. was found sticking out of the stomach like a cork, perfectly mushroomed after a spike was hit straight on from a single 305 yard shot dropping it.

The elk that did make tracks made very few, none over 50 yards.Shot Ranges were varied from 30 or so to the lazer'd 305 yard mark.

The Inter lock is a GOOD ordinary bullet for elk, but a partition is my bullet of choice when the game can weigh 600+ pounds on the hoof... or paw.
Posted By: 8mmwapiti Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/03/12
Originally Posted by bludog
I appreciate everyone's input and opinions, keep them coming, just wondering if there is anyone on the Campfire that has actually fired a 154 Horn at an elk and what happened.

I shot the 154 sp Interlock for years out of a 7mm Rem mag. I did "fire at elk" What happened is the elk were reduced to bag. The bullet will do the job. The thing you may need is freezer wrap.

8mmwapiti

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

I like that story. Being the hornady man that you are (bless your heart), have you ever tried the 162 A max or 162 btsp interlock in the 7mm rem mag on elk?? Thanks dogzapper. I'm just surprised there is little to no talk about the 162 btsp interlock. Just curious......
Posted By: Otis Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/04/12
I found this bullet so good I have never loaded any other bullet in my 284 Win. Shot lots of deer and have yet to shoot an elk though. I use Horn 154 gr IL, IMR 4350, 55 gr. Win. brass & LR Primers! All my deer never took a step. I killed one antelope in Clayton, NM with it also.
Posted By: 1234 Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/04/12
have a friend who has killed more elk than anyone else i know he uses the 154gr hornady out of a 7mm mag.

Ed
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/06/12
Originally Posted by bludog

I have killed two with that bullet out of a 7mm08 and one bear. Perfect performance; good internal damage, perfect mushroom on off-side hide.

The only bear I shot with this bullet was complete pass through.

Similar to 150 Partition but more accurate in my 708 and lots cheaper!!

I loaded them over 42 grains of Varget I believe.
Posted By: Otis Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/07/12
I love Nosler bullets, but have found Hornady bullets are more than adequate for most hunting needs. I killed a doe one time with my 338/06 AI, Nosler 210 Partition, hit the spine and took out 4 vertebrae. Way over kill!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Steve

I like that story. Being the hornady man that you are (bless your heart), have you ever tried the 162 A max or 162 btsp interlock in the 7mm rem mag on elk?? Thanks dogzapper. I'm just surprised there is little to no talk about the 162 btsp interlock. Just curious......

I am a rabid fan of the 7mm 162 gr btsp. I killed my first bull elk with it this year. It certainly anchored him with the initial shot, but he refused to fall over, just stood with his legs spread wide in the trail and his nose nearly in the dirt. I put two more into his vitals before he actually tipped over.

I was shooting them from a Ruger #1 B in 7mm STW. The Chrony shows 3200 fps at the muzzle. The bull was at a lazered 325 yds. According to RCBS 2.88 ballistics calculator, that makes the impact velocity pretty close to 2600 fps.

I have some broken up pieces of bullet from under the off side skin to keep as a memento of the kill.
Posted By: 340mag Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/09/12

Steve

just curious.... water buffalo ...white snow just don,t seem to go together well, where was this
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/09/12

Originally Posted by 340mag

Steve

just curious.... water buffalo ...white snow just don,t seem to go together well, where was this

No problem. Karen and I hunted on the Clover Creek Ranch out of Ashwood, Oregon.
While we were there, between Christmas and New Years, the highest temperature we saw was 5�F and the next morning it dove to -7�. The snow was knee-deep down by the bunkhouse and mid-thigh up top where we eventually ran into the Asian water buffalo and yaks.

Karen whacked a yak and I very carefully ended the career of a nice buff.

The conditions were tough.

God Bless,

Steve

http://clovercreekranch.net/

Posted By: Fotis Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/10/12
My buddy used them forever from his 7mm WBY mag. 154 Factory ammo. Bang flop every time
Posted By: keith Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/10/12
I know of 7 Bulls taken with several different 7Mags, all the same load:

63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem case
Rem 9 1/2
Bullet off the lands .005.

The 154 will also shoot through both shoulders of large boars on broadside shots.

Last bull killed was 550 yards.
Posted By: PastorDan Re: 154 gr Hornady on elk ? - 01/10/12
63 grs. of IMR4350 was a very accurate load with 150 gr. Noslers in my 7mm Mag as well.
© 24hourcampfire