Home
I have recently bought a Savage Model 116 in .300 Win Mag and was wondering if anyone had any loads/bullets that performed well with this rifle. I hope to take it elk hunting this year and am trying to find loads to try out
Are asking for handloading information or factory ammo? I vote Federal 180gr Nosler Partitions if factory. Reloading is easy 75.5 grs RL22 and 180 gr Nosler Partition. Good luck!
^^^^^ what he said, RL-22 and 180 grain Nosler Partition. I like the protected point in mine, not sure of the charge weight but in the same neighborhood.
I handload and appreciate the losd tip. And I am not above using a factory load in a pinch..
Try IMR7828SSC, gives about the same velocity, but a little
more temperature stable. Also Retumbo even more temperature
stable. I,d use the Partitions also.
300 Win Mag & 180 grain Partitions===Peanut Butter & Jelly. Bob
Originally Posted by hunting1
Are asking for handloading information or factory ammo? I vote Federal 180gr Nosler Partitions if factory. Reloading is easy 75.5 grs RL22 and 180 gr Nosler Partition. Good luck!

Without a doubt, 75-77 grains of RL22 with a 180 PT is a pretty solid combo in alot of 300 Win Mags.
73-75 gr. H4831 with a 180 gr. Partition has been getting it done for many years.
© 24hourcampfire