Home
Posted By: BigFin A pair of MT Public land bulls - 11/03/12
Earlier this week, my son and I shot these Montana bulls about ten minutes and 100 yards apart. My son dropped his and then the busted up old boy decided to come and see why his buddy Leroy was taking a nap. He got the same treatment.

[Linked Image]

Wish this guy was still intact. He would have been one of my better bulls. Oh well, when they offer themselves like he did, shooting an old ugly one is acceptable.

[Linked Image]
Nicely done!

Dober
.308's?

Dober
Well done by the Fin's for sure. Hoping for the detailed blow by blow account.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
.308's?

Dober

Thanks, Mark.

Mine with a Howa 1500 in a .308. His, the same model, but a .300 Win Mag. Both topped with Leupold VX3s. Me shooting 180 gr. Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tips. He was shooting 180 gr. Federal Premium Trophy Copper. First time we used the Trophy Copper and it was bad news for that bull. Very impressed with the results on that shot. Gonna use it in CO and AZ on other elk hunts later this month.
Originally Posted by Downstream
Well done by the Fin's for sure. Hoping for the detailed blow by blow account.

Thanks, Downstream. Already provided that on our site. Don't want to take up Rick's bandwidth, so will probably not get into too many details here. wink
Congrats Randy. I'll move over to your site to read the details.

Tim
Nice MT bulls. Good job

How was the pack out? Could drive up and retrieve them?
Very nice! Congratulations to both of you. Looks like a hunt to remember!
Dang, that is how you do that!

Well done!

Sweet - nice job and neat story....
Nice bulls Fin-have I possibly seen you hunting elk on one of the hunting channels?

Fred
Well done!! Both fine bulls congrats!
Posted By: rdd Re: A pair of MT Public land bulls - 11/03/12
Congrats to you and your son! Great bulls. Did you have a long pack out with all of that meat?
Nice duo there.

You're right, too bad yours busted of that whale tail... from the looks it would have been a massive one.

P.S. I love watching your show... had to sneak that in there. LOL
Most impressive.
Well done to both of you! That close together makes packing out easier. At least I hope it would.
Man those are two great bulls....that one is a warrior!
Originally Posted by kroo88
Nice bulls Fin-have I possibly seen you hunting elk on one of the hunting channels?

Thanks for the kind comments, Fred.

There is a chance, a pretty good chance, if you were really bored, had a bad case of insomnia and nothing productive to do with your time, then tuned in to Sportsman Channel, you might have seen me hunting elk, and many other different critters, on one of those hunting channels.

This hunt will also be on that same show/channel.
Originally Posted by BigFin
Originally Posted by kroo88

Thanks for the kind comments, Fred.

There is a chance, a pretty good chance, if you were really bored, had a bad case of insomnia and nothing productive to do with your time, then tuned in to Sportsman Channel, you might have seen me hunting elk, and many other different critters, on one of those hunting channels.

This hunt will also be on that same show/channel.

LOL, I knew it... but I can't hunt all the time (sadly) so I spend my down time watching others hunt in my place... when I'm not working (or when the wife will let me). LOL

Again, congrats on the 2 nice bulls and looking forward to seeing your hunt unfold on TV.

Take care, Joel
Awesome bulls! Congratulations!!
Very cool Randy! Has Charlie raised his rates at all? I read the full story over on your site. Sounds like they are getting a little wise to the boundaries. Anyone else in there this year?

Randy, nice bulls, congrats to you and your son.

Originally Posted by ranger1
Very cool Randy! Has Charlie raised his rates at all? I read the full story over on your site. Sounds like they are getting a little wise to the boundaries. Anyone else in there this year?

Thanks, Ranger. Charlie is still the same, from what he told me.

There had been two groups in there who came out the day we went in. I think there had been quite a few archery hunters in there. Sounds like plenty of locals have been going in there. All good, given these are the People's elk spending a lot of time on the People's land. I like to see that public hunters are getting after it.

Could be that these elk are figuring out the safe zones, but if you get a favorable wind like we had, it leads them right into the zone of fire. Lucky day, no doubt. Without the wind from that direction, I think they would have headed directly to private and we would have had to just watch them from afar.
Good to see you back in the game, Randy..
Congrats.
That a great pair of bulls you got there!

I always wish I could have seen the battle when I see a big bull that is broken up like that...probably a pair of monarchs going at it.
Congrats--I like the ugly one that you shot!
Nice job!
I'd be very proud of the busted up bull. He has some fighting character!
Awesome BigFin!

Travis
Way cool Fin!
Congrats Randy! Great bulls

ddj
Outstanding. Both have racks have 'character'
Randy, YOU SUCK!!!

X2 !!!! laugh

Thanks for the kind words on the other thread....

Finally got to see your wolf show....loved it!
Well done Randy. Its a great day when one gets a bull but even better when it happens to a father son hunt.
Nice "treatment" on those bulls. Like the old brawler you got!
Nice work guys.
Is there anything better on Earth than a great hunting trip with your son?

I don't think so.

Randy, you area great guy, truly someone I admire.
Congrats to both of you!
Congrats to both of you! Awesome that you get to hunt together!!!!!
Sweet!! .. nice job CONGRATS.
You killed some elk with factory ammo......oh the blasphemy (much sarcasm intended!!)

Congrats on 2 great bulls!!

Thanks for sharing those pictures here! It doesnt get any better than hunting with your kids.
Your bull is FAR from ugly, he has character!

I enjoy seeing you on TV, when I catch it. One of the very few hunting shows I watch and really enjoy....if you can call some of whats on TV these days "hunting".

Congrats to you & your son for spending time together & scoring on really nice bulls!

Hot damn, Randy!

Congrats!
Posted By: djs Re: A pair of MT Public land bulls - 11/16/12
Beautiful.
Geees- not only 1 but 2 nice bulls. Thats awesome. Love watching your show. My son will be 5 this spring and he is already talking about going along. I think next year is when it will happen. Feel free to PM the GPS coordinates smile
Nice. I think it gives some character to the older bull.
Cool story and two NICE bulls.
Sweet!
© 24hourcampfire