Home
Seasons for elk are starting to wind down, with archery, muzzleloader, first thru third seasons in the books here in Colorado. Still some later stuff, RFW, E. Colorado, etc. to go, but by and large, most of the elk hunting is done for the year.
Assume the same for other states, as well.

So- who all here on the 'Fire was lucky enough to score, and in what state? I'll start by including myself, just finished off the last of the Thanksgiving elk roast at lunch today!
I managed to put this little bull to sleep on the last weekend of my season here in Idaho.

[Linked Image]
Me, no elk.

Wife shot nice fat cow on a controlled elk hunt, Very good eating.

I took a decent 5X6 on Oct 4TH on the Bridger-Teton in Wy. My wife and I still have late season cow calf tag's to fill.
Colorado 2nd Rifle season.... 5X6 Bull
I still have a cow elk hunt that starts tomorrow. I won't be hunting until it snows though. Consider this my placeholder for a cow elk pic!
Little 6x6 from CO first rifle.

[Linked Image]
got my first bull, a spike, in Idaho
[Linked Image]
AZ
[Linked Image]
i shot a cow 2nd rifle in CO
So- who all here on the 'Fire was lucky enough to score,

Happy day.....a cow in New Mexico....steaks are fabulous

nimrod1949

Congratulatios on your first Elk.

Originally Posted by Bighorn
Seasons for elk are starting to wind down, with archery, muzzleloader, first thru third seasons in the books here in Colorado. Still some later stuff, RFW, E. Colorado, etc. to go, but by and large, most of the elk hunting is done for the year.

So- who all here on the 'Fire was lucky enough to score, and in what state? I'll start by including myself, just finished off the last of the Thanksgiving elk roast at lunch today!

Been cutting on my cow all day long and I'm tired tired!!! The easy part is pulling the trigger, right guys....

You see them, they are moving thru the scrub oak, you wait for the shot and take it. Mine was only 88 yards away but I managed a pretty good kill shot on a moving cow thru the oak trees:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Long story's on its own thread.

[Linked Image]
Headed out Thursday for a NM elk hunt.
Missed a 6x6 in 1st rifle but still have a cow to collect on a RFW hunt next month.
Nice fat cow taken on at around 4PM on the last day of my hunt. Took the biggest buck of my life the day before. Cross-valley shot with .300WM/180g Barnes MRX, broadside with a pass-thru (exit side shown), right at 399 yards per GPS co-ords and Google Earth. The elk came through a saddle I had crossed only 15-20 minutes before on my way to a ridge top where I took some photos before starting to hunt my way back to the truck. I was headed back to the saddle when five elk crossed through. The slope I was on was pretty steep so I just sat back, got into a comfortable sitting position and waited. The elk started out at 150 yards and I was thinking I'd have to take a moving shot (fast walk) when the lead cow stopped and presented a perfect broadside.

[Linked Image]
1 wolf
3 antelope
1 black bear
1 grizzly
1 elk
1 mule deer
19 coyotes

Freezer is full!
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
1 wolf
3 antelope
1 black bear
1 grizzly
1 elk
1 mule deer
19 coyotes

Freezer is full!

Umm.. How you cooking those coyotes? eek
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Nice fat cow taken on at around 4PM on the last day of my hunt. Took the biggest buck of my life the day before. Cross-valley shot with .300WM/180g Barnes MRX, broadside with a pass-thru (exit side shown), right at 399 yards per GPS co-ords and Google Earth. The elk came through a saddle I had crossed only 15-20 minutes before on my way to a ridge top where I took some photos before starting to hunt my way back to the truck. I was headed back to the saddle when five elk crossed through. The slope I was on was pretty steep so I just sat back, got into a comfortable sitting position and waited. The elk started out at 150 yards and I was thinking I'd have to take a moving shot (fast walk) when the lead cow stopped and presented a perfect broadside.

[Linked Image]

Good job CH and nice shooting!!
5 point bull in Northeast Oregon.

[Linked Image]
Cow elk in ML season and a deer in ML season. Still have a pronghorn hunt 1st of Dec

That bump in the hide is the 295 gr Power Belt. 305 gr wih skirt. 295 gr after I dug it out.

[Linked Image]

The rifle is a TC Black Diamond that I restocked inw alnut and replaced the FO sights with peep and front blade
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
1 wolf
3 antelope
1 black bear
1 grizzly
1 elk
1 mule deer
19 coyotes

Freezer is full!

Greedy Bastid laugh
2 goats in wyoming,1 colorado muliee and 1 alaska sheep.
didn't get to hunt elk this year.
Shot a 4x5 in Colorado second rifle
6x6 Colorado muzzleloading..I also cooked a nice roast for the Thanksgiving dinner.

Blacktail buck and bull elk........deer west of the Cascades and elk just over the top.
Public Land in Helena Nat'l Forest. Took him the 5th day of rifle season.

[Linked Image]
Oregon, Cascade Roosevelt Elk.
Took a .270 dirt nap on the 2nd day of season. 320 yards.
[Linked Image]
First season I got a nice bull. A heavy 6x - nice enough to go on my wall. Second season I was without a tag but helped a couple friends, one was a first time hunter, get their bull and cow.

I am going to have to turn in my 2nd antelope tag for a refund. My freezer is full to capacity and I don't feel like buying another one.
[quote=Alamosa: My freezer is full to capacity and I don't feel like buying another one.
[/quote]

I'll send my kids over... They have NO problem helping me find new space in mine!! smile

My First Elk. Colorado 2nd season after 7 days of hunting. 250 yards with a Tikka 270 WSM

[Linked Image]
Colorado 4th season cow.

[Linked Image]

Blood trail a blind man could follow

[Linked Image]
Idaho - Shoshone National Forest

[Linked Image]
Beautiful bull there.
Got my first elk this year as well.
Small calf. Still have a tag and a few days of the season left. Might get out again yet!
[Linked Image]
My buddies and I - it was a good regular rifle season at our camp - and most people don't even know that we have lots of elk in Saskatchewan!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My first post here....
New Mexico Unit 34 cow. Shot at 51 yards with a Remington 673 Guide Rifle, .350 Remington Magnum. 225 Grain Nosler Partition. She dropped as if hit by the hammer of Thor.
Originally Posted by DR505
She dropped as if hit by the hammer of Thor.

You'll fit right in!
I lucked into two cows. 338 225gr barns x at 200yds one shot behind the shoulder, and one at 365 same hold and hit but shot twice. With elk or anything I keep my eyes on the animal. F the hunting shows.
[Linked Image]
70 yds w/7STW, 9x7
love all the 7's
I filled my 4th season CO tag with a 4X5 bull. 376 yards with a .338 RUM, 225 gr. Accubond. NO tracking involved, just did a face plant. Recovered bullut under skin far side, nice mushroom.
great job guys! AH64guy, is the sprig of green in your bulls mouth the "last meal" like some of the european hunters do it?
Really a lot of great looking elk here. My cow was taken on the first day in Wyoming, and my spike was on the first day of the Oregon 2nd season. A pretty good season all in all.
I took my first elk this fall hunting in the Bob Marshall. 50 yards, 300 WSM, 180 Accubond started at 2900 fps.

[Linked Image]
My 17th elk and biggest yet - 312 5/8's with a broken G4. Idaho, public land, 594 yards, .338 RUM and 250AB.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jauntymorel
great job guys! AH64guy, is the sprig of green in your bulls mouth the "last meal" like some of the european hunters do it?

Yes, and very good catch.

I was able to get trained/lisensed as a hunter in Germany when I was stationed there, still do some of the customs I learned.

Weidmannsheil!
I got my cow a couple days ago. A few miles west of the house. 230 yard shot, 300 win mag and 200 NPs.

[Linked Image]
I didn't, but it was the first time i've ever taken a camera. I blame forums for that.

I think it was bad luck.
Popped a cow on a controlled hunt in Idaho. Getting the meat out was the easy part thanks to my 'assistants'. Getting to it was the hard part. She wasn't on the flat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2012 bull, 489 yds, .264 Win Mag, 140 gr. Berger VLD.
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I took my first elk this fall hunting in the Bob Marshall. 50 yards, 300 WSM, 180 Accubond started at 2900 fps.

[Linked Image]

Mighty fine "starter bull" !
Originally Posted by Bighorn

[Linked Image]

Northern Wyoming

Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I took my first elk this fall hunting in the Bob Marshall. 50 yards, 300 WSM, 180 Accubond started at 2900

Good for you man... I love "The Bob."

My bull this year:

[Linked Image]
17 days to go, but who is counting?
CO 3rd rifle.

Here's the link:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Colorado_3rd_season_success#Post7072825

[Linked Image]

My bull this year:

[Linked Image][/quote]

Good on ya Brad!

To make my bulls look that good, I have'ta stand back about 10 yards!.... OK, 50, but not a yard further! smile

What's the Kimber and load?
I plowed a cow with my 375h&h at about 30 paces. The 270tsx did a fine job on the trip through.....course bubble gum would work that close.

[Linked Image]
No pics but a nice 5X6 on the second day of Colorado's First Rifle season at about 12,000' near the Continental Divide.
A lot of great pics here! Nice trophies, beautiful country.

The bull scored 346, the cow scored by using a stock 1903-A3...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Some awfully nice Montana bulls!

Shrap-you been shooting the new twanger?

Dober
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The bull scored 346

Hmmm.... Rubber Tape? laugh
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Some awfully nice Montana bulls!

Shrap-you been shooting the new twanger?

Dober

Had it to the range yesterday and shot the video screen, do you want to try it???
Monday mid morning?

Dober
Originally Posted by Brad

The bull scored 346

No need for rubber tape, it sure beats posting a dwarf behind the head like you do...
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Monday mid morning?

Dober

Could do, what are you shooting???
Your fav Swifto of course... grin

Dober

The bull scored 346

No need for rubber tape, it sure beats posting a dwarf behind the head like you do...

Too funny. I don't post taped scores as its tacky, but you're saying yours is almost 20" bigger?

No way... nice bull though, even though you'd never exactly explain the circumstances under which it was taken.
Too funny. I don't post taped scores as its tacky, but you're saying yours is almost 20" bigger?

Big is all relative, is that a thimble you are drinking out of in this picture?

[Linked Image]
Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night...

The bull scored 346

No way... nice bull though, even though you'd never exactly explain the circumstances under which it was taken.

Both are spectacular bulls. I don't think the scores are tacky at all - pics can be deceiving, so it helps to know what's really big and what isn't....assuming it's an accurate score, of course. Those sword tines on yours are incredible, Brad!

The score is by Fred King, a B&C official scorer, so I know it is right. I thought the "Dwarf" jab was better than the "rubber tape" attempt though...
yep, scores are tacky.unless you happen to have one big enough...
The score is by Fred King, a B&C official scorer, so I know it is right. I thought the "Dwarf" jab was better than the "rubber tape" attempt though...

Well if Fred said it, I believe it. My apology.

Did it meet the 60 day drying requirement?

But like I said on your other post, most of us want to know about the hunt, not play B&C. You never would share anything about the hunt on the B&C thread.
Don't know the score other than he is my best with any weapon (archery). Not a great story but with this year's incredibly dry conditions, it was very rewarding. He was in the timber but ran into what appears to be a gravel pit or the beach - not complaining about the pack out this year.

[Linked Image]
My son and I both scored 6 X 6 's in Northern New Mexico
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
got my first bull, a spike, in Idaho
[Linked Image]

I shot the brother to yours! laugh Unit 4B in Heber AZ. Got him after 5 days of seeing nothing at 5:33 in the evening. 100 yards from my truck after a 2 mile hike.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's mine, 8.5 miles from the truck, and over a mile from where killed. Didn't score him, shouldn't have shot him. Kind of an accident (wrong bull), but great experience anyway and a big stack of meat.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Didn't score him, shouldn't have shot him.

Man, I'd be pissed if I shot that bull.....better luck next year.....
I like those kind of accidents....
Hey Don, when can I come out and shoot some at your place??
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Here's mine, 8.5 miles from the truck, and over a mile from where killed. Didn't score him, shouldn't have shot him. Kind of an accident (wrong bull), but great experience anyway and a big stack of meat.
[Linked Image]

Outstanding!
Your string of success is well earned.
Congratulations!
© 24hourcampfire