Home
We get the Denver news here. A police officer in one of the Denver burbs, warned a couple citizens that they might hear some gunfire and took out a nice (I think) 5 x 6 bull that had been in the neighborhood. He told folks it was likely injured and needed to be put down.

A newscast photo showed the officer (in uniform) in the classic trophy pose with the bull. Subsequently a private rig showed up to transport the elk, and those involved were overheard discussing the need for a road kill tag to facilitate transportation. Local residents were not convinced any of the incident was on the up and up and turned him in. We'll see. Obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
$1,100 out of season, $1,100 no license, $1,000 illegal possession, $10,000 Samson surcharge for that 6th point, and maybe his job. We'll see what happens though.
That happened in BOULDER of all places!!??

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...ed-boulder-police-admit-officer-shot-elk
Most recent thing I could find.
Seems to be a lot of unanswered questions.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/01/03/boulder-police-officer-elk-boulder-new-years-day/
Denver Post: Mystery Solved: Boulder Cops under investigation in Elk Shooting

Very troubling. If this is as bad as the news reports would suggest ...
The facts are a little blurry but this elk had been a well-known local for 3 years or so.

There may have been two police and one sheriff deputy involved in haulling the thing off.

If it was a poaching case they deserve prosecution to the full extent plus loss of their jobs.
It's Boulder. Do NOT try to understand it. You'll only hurt yourself in the process.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
$1,100 out of season, $1,100 no license, $1,000 illegal possession, $10,000 Samson surcharge for that 6th point, and maybe his job. We'll see what happens though.

Plus, hunting an elk with a shotgun. I doubt he had a slug in the gun.
And use of artificial lights too I'd imagine, which is a lit worse than the $50 for buckshot
Copy of email I have sent to CO CPW and reply.

Hello Mr. XXX

Thank you for your email and thank you for your comments.

We appreciate your interest in this issue. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is taking this issue seriously. We cannot comment on investigations while they are in process. When the investigation is complete, we will provide the result of the investigation. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Bob
Bob Fisher
Colorado Parks And Wildlife

I wish to convey my total disapproval on the elk killing by a cop in
Boulder. That elk had been around for 3 years and caused no appreciable
harm.The cop did not call it in first, did not report his fitearm being
discharged, killed the elk with a shotgun( violation of hunting regs.) did
not notify the CPW, and an off duty cop took the carcass for his own use.

This is just plain poaching, plain and simple. I hope the CPW investigates
this fully and if all reports are true, they fine the shooter and off duty
cop to the full extent of the law as any other citizen would be, and
particularly enforce the Samson Statute.

Lets' be sure he does not get a simple slap on the wrist repreman just
becasue he is a cop. At the very least,both should lose thier jobs and be
fined heavily.

As an L.E.O. I hope they follow the law and charge him with whatever they have probable cause to charge him with.

We are held to a higher standard, and its a responsibility we all take on voluntarily. If you cant handle it, theres no room for you in this line of work.

As for me, even with a legit "hit by car" incident, Im still contacting a supervisor before i put it down. Its just common sense.
And use of artificial lights too I'd imagine, which is a lit worse than the $50 for buckshot

Just $50 for using an illegal weapon? I thought it would be more. If someone uses a rifle in muzzleloader season it's just a $50 fine?
Do you think it's the first time he did it or the first time he got caught
Hard to imagine it was the first time. He did it in plain sight this time. He was getting cocky he wouldn't get caught.

You left out discharching a weapon in city limits +???
In NY state you also loose your gun, car and hunting license
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

Just $50 for using an illegal weapon? I thought it would be more. If someone uses a rifle in muzzleloader season it's just a $50 fine?

Hunt with yes, kill with then it's illegal possession
Or if using an inappropriate weapon it's hunting without a proper and valid license, at which point it's twice the cost if the most expensive license,
So far elk it's $1,100

So far elk it's $1,100

That must be the fine for a resident. It must be $11,000 for a non-resident.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
In NY state you also loose your gun, car and hunting license

+1 Same in KY...
Trophy photo and off duty officer processing the bull tells all. Both should lose their jobs. Opps all 3 , sheriff helped load the elk in back of offduty officers truck.
Originally Posted by jcbcolo
Denver Post: Mystery Solved: Boulder Cops under investigation in Elk Shooting

Very troubling. If this is as bad as the news reports would suggest ...

Morons!
FN idiots that should get the book thrown at them.
Come on now that Elk was a suspect in an assault on a tree, he was asked to surrender and told the Cop to bugger off, the cop then shot said elk. What is the problem, nothing to see here.
Can you believe those tree/bunny huggers in Boulder held a vigil for the elk tonight? Fruit cakes!
Yeah, but.... The fruitcake actions got a lot of press, and the outcry will get those cops some more much-unwanted attention. Kinda like the cop who popped the dog on a pole in commerce city. Went from public hero one day, to charged with aggravated animal cruely overnight.....
[Linked Image]

180 attended the vigil.
There was also a funeral on Thursday with less attendance.
Do they do that when one of them kills a deer with their SUV?
A candlelight vigil for an elk? You have got to be freakin' kidding me.
I kinda figured when I heard it happened in Boulder that the loonies would get wierd over it.
I bet there was more high end 'outdoors' apparel at that vigil than in must retail outlets! laugh
On that note:
[Linked Image]
Sweet! I just watched that over the holiday's with my two young sons. That movie is way weirder as an adult than as a kid...
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
A candlelight vigil for an elk? You have got to be freakin' kidding me.

Its Boulder.
gonna steal this one.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
On that note:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Do they do that when one of them kills a deer with their SUV?

Wouldn't surprise me....how about you? lol
Our local news this evening showed portions of a meeting the police chief had with the obviously upset public. He was pretty much holding the line of we'll wait and see what the investigation reveals. While he admitted to being embarrassed by the event, it didn't sound like heads were going to roll just yet.
There is a process that has to unfold, or legal action could come back to the dept.

I have a feeling once the investigation is done, jobs will be lost, as they should.
If a chief instantly jumped to prosecute one of his own, he would have none of his own left. He must protect them, first, then see if the head really needs to roll.
Poaching it it, for sure. But the Boulder reaction is priceless. Some comments on the Boulder news sites are phenomenal, I bet they would beat even Kalifornians.
What a jackwagon...I'm sure he'll get the book thrown at him.
Boulder musician honors fallen elk in "Ballad of Big Boy" song

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_...-www.dailycamera.com-www.dailycamera.com

You couldn't make up crazier stuff if you tried.
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Boulder musician honors fallen elk in "Ballad of Big Boy" song

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_...-www.dailycamera.com-www.dailycamera.com

You couldn't make up crazier stuff if you tried.

Key word there.........Boulder. As stated earlier, fruit cakes.
Interesting. I'd wager that if an plain old poor fella in an beat up old pickup did this instead of an LEO he'd be in jail as an suspect awaiting what the investigation turned up and waiting for his court date.
http://kdvr.com/2013/01/18/boulder-da-charges-officers-in-elks-shooting/
Lady interviewed on the news said this was no less terrible than the elementary school shooting back east, REALLY? As stated one word says it all........Boulder!
Just plain ol poachers!! Hang their a$$es, scum bags........

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the elk was a 6x6 wouldn't that make it a Samson law issue?
Looks to me like they got in more trouble for lying about and covering up what they did than for any type of game law violations?

Edited to add, if you follow the link and read the charges, they did get charged with game law violations and a Sampson charge, those charges are misdemeanors though.
As both a police officer and an elk hunter, I am ashamed of their actions.

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/18/boulder-da-charges-officers-in-elks-shooting/
The Boulder DA has charged with them with 3 felonies in addition to the wildlife misdomenors due to their attempted coverup. Sounds like the investigation turned up text messages that showed premeditation going back to much earlier in the day. Neckoprosy on the elk showed no Evidence the elk was injured and needed to put down.

9news.com has links to the arrest affidavits that include the recovered text messages that detail the planning and potential repair of the horns for a mount.

Yeah 8 years in prison seems about right.

Sounds like they are throwing the book at these scumbags! If fully convicted I think we should elect this DA as governor -- from boulder or not!!!

As for the local residents, this elk was almost like a pet to them and their kids. We shouldn't poke fun at their grieving. And if hunters want some respect they need to respect the views of those who do not hunt.
I spent 39 years as a Police Officer South Florida. A long time hunter and currently living in Denver and just started elk hunting last November. Based on the fact they did not call it in to their department or DOW and tried to get away with this devious killing off duty is just dumb and they should roast for this act. There is no room for these two jerks in the LE ranks.
The yayhoo's both resigned their positions on the force, according to the local news.
All I know is, I'm applying for one of the Boulder PD special January trophy hunt tags next year.......
Saw a news report last night. Yes, they resigned, and there will likely be game charges to follow. Hope they get hit to the fullest.
They've already been charged with both game law violations which are misdemeanors, and felonies related to lying and covering it up.
Originally Posted by Huntinut
Just plain ol poachers!! Hang their a$$es, scum bags........

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the elk was a 6x6 wouldn't that make it a Samson law issue?

I think so. At least that is my understanding of it.
They were charged with a Samson Law violation. I think it's actually a surcharge over and above just plain poaching.
It is strange to me that they were really this stupid. Not that poachers are known for being smart but this is really stupid and in plain sight. I wish most poachers who are caught got this much press. I hate the scum and how easy it is for them to get away with poaching. There seems to be more discussion about the unethical way dogs and cats are treated at the pound.
Originally Posted by smokepole
All I know is, I'm applying for one of the Boulder PD special January trophy hunt tags next year.......

Rolling......

grin
Casey
Makes a guy wonder how much other stuff they've poached?

I'll bet that their houses get tossed with more to come. I mean if they were "smart" enough to try to poach an animal in town, how many did they poach in the NF?
Originally Posted by smokepole

How many PP does it take? grin grin
I live 7 miles from boulder...boulder may be the capital of the world for self righteous lefties..probably screen their recruits and verify they are democrat to start with.. that would explain the stupidity...enough said.
There was another mention of those officers last night on the Denver news. Seems they had likely packed a couple mule deer home in earlier incidents. Indications were they were indeed injured deer that needed to be put down, but still procedure does not allow personal confiscation of taking.

I've not heard if there's been any disposition on the wildlife charges that accompanied the elk shooting.
© 24hourcampfire