Home
Posted By: Cacciatore Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/05/13
ALl.
Last fall I had posted the ~10 year old public land bull I was fortunate enough to take while hunting with my Dad and Uncles. Well the pedestal mount was done by good friend Joe Cochran at Nature's Image Taxidermy and picked up Easter weekend.

It was a pretty cool project and Joe let me help him build the cabinet for the mount.

The cabinet is made out of old bard wood off one of my Uncle's buildings back home. I did some sanding on them to take the loose stuff off and smooth them out a bit but wanted to leave the saw cut grooves and color on them.

This mount went in my "man cave" where there is a 7' ceiling, so Joe had to make some modifications to the foam to tilt the chin up as well as make the antlers detachable.

I hope you all like it.
Take Care.

This is us mocking it up to measure the height. You see where we cut a wedge out just behind the head.

[Linked Image]

This is the finished product before hauling it home.

[Linked Image]

Here it is in the basement all put back together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thats pretty as hell.
Nifty!
thanks guys.
Looks like what I did with my moose mount. Gotta get creative when your trophy room's in the basement. Are you gonna add any habitat to the top of the pedestal?
That looks great, bet it will bring back good memories of the hunt whenever you look at it - really nice taxi work!!
very nice....great bull well done....
Sweet bull.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/05/13
NICE!!!
Posted By: prm Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/05/13
Fantastic. I have a couple friends with many pedestal mounts (mostly Kudu, Nyala, etc.) and I really like them. My first trophy bull will be a pedestal mount.
Posted By: PSH Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/05/13
Very nice
I LOVE that mount! Great job, and congrats on a super bull
Beautiful! and love the cabinet!
Very cool!
Cacciatore: Congratulations on the trophy Elk and the way the pedestal mount turned out!
Good for you.
My wife surprised me a few years ago by re-routing my taxidermist from "beetle-ing" the skull of a five year old 6x6 Bull Elk and turning it into a pedestal shoulder mount for our home.
To tell the truth I like your "pedestal" even more than mine.
Again congratulations on that trophy public lands Elk!
What state was it harvested in if you don't mind my asking - my pedestal mounted Bull was taken in SW Montana.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Man, that is a nice base. Wish you were closer so you could make me one. smile

PS, nice bull.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I LOVE that mount! Great job, and congrats on a super bull

Boy, I'll say.....I love everything about it!
Very nice
Posted By: ingwe Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/06/13
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!
Posted By: ribka Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/06/13
Would not think a pedestal would look good on a chest but it really looks nice.

Very nice and original. great job.
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments. I am eztremely happy with it.

There were a couple of questions asked above.

Scottf270 - I do not plan on adding habitat but rather like the clean barn board look on the top.

Varmintguy - The bull was shot in Colorado around the Gunnison area. We have hunted there a lot of seasons and this is by far the largest and oldest bull we have seen more less killed.

Dogcatcher223 - 70 year old barn boards don't grow on trees.....well they did at one point, but you know what I mean. :-)

Thanks again all.
Very nice! Pedestal is the way to go for those of us without high ceilings.
I agree.
Before the modifications to the form that Joe did, we would have only fit a 10 inch cabinet under it.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/06/13
Looks great! What a terrific way to display a magnificent bull.

You did well.
That looks good
Very Nice cool cool
Really nice mount, there.
Well Done!
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Elk pedestal mount finished - 04/08/13
I really like that! Great job, and heck of a bull!!
Thanks everyone
Really, really NICE!
Very nice!
Cooollll.
cool
© 24hourcampfire