Home
Posted By: JWP58 And so it begins... - 04/09/13
Just applied for my first elk tag. Once May hits its time to start scouting. Although I'll be splitting Elk hunting with Grouse hunting.

I need to buy a bow too lol. I'll be happy just to see an elk(s) this year.

At what elevation are elk usually at during the summer months? 8k?
JW, we don't apply for elk til May..?????
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/09/13
Paper is apps start in may. You can apply online from jan-may. They have the same result day...

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001118.aspx
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: And so it begins... - 04/09/13
Originally Posted by JWP58
Just applied for my first elk tag. Once May hits its time to start scouting. Although I'll be splitting Elk hunting with Grouse hunting.

Splitting elk hunting time with ... grouse???

I like grouse and have taken them with a handgun as targets of opportunity while elk hunting, but ... splitting time???

You must REALLY like those birds!!!
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/09/13
Well I like spending time afield with my dogs, and Sept is blue and sage grouse season. Then Oct. is partridge..

Elk hunting will get squeezed in there at some point. I hope to do plenty of scouting so hoepfully that helps.
Posted By: smokepole Re: And so it begins... - 04/09/13
At what elevation are elk usually at during the summer months? 8k?

Down here they can be all over, including up above timberline (11,000+) if that's where the grass is best.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/10/13
Im contemplating hunting only the rifle season and not bow. Mainly because I dont have a bow, and dont know if I feel comfortable only having a few months to practice.

If I use a rifle Im leaning toward going old school. Lever action. Maybe a 30wcf or 32wcf. Keep my shots close and practice practice practice. (i might consider a 45/70)

I also plan to do a backpack hunt. In an attempt to get off the beaten path as I plan to hunt N.F.
Posted By: smokepole Re: And so it begins... - 04/10/13
Ever consider a muzzleloader? If you're going old school, may as well go whole hog.
No but I have considered using a cast/blackpowder load.
I don't know about Wyoming's seasons, but if you have an early ML season that's something to consider if you're backpacking. Early seasons=warmer weather so you can get by with carrying less gear and be more comfortable in a backpack camp.
There is no ML season in WY. Only archery and rifle.
When you consider a backpack hunt, you must also pack out the elk..if it spoils, you could be fined for waste of game..lots to consider..
Oh for sure. I wont be going alone either. I'll have a buddy (aka pack mule) with me.

And of course there are other factors to consider. Like the terrain the elk will probably either fall down dead in, or where it will most likely run towards to die. If its too nasty/steep, dont take the shot. Also time of day, temp, weather, ect.

In all honesty I know the chances of me harvesting an Elk is slim to none. But that was the same realization I had last yr in my first season upland hunting, and I still had a blast (and was pretty successful in my opinion).

I plan to keep this post updated with pics and info on scouting (nothing too revealing though lol) through the summer and fall.

In all honesty I know the chances of me harvesting an Elk is slim to none. But that was the same realization I had last yr in my first season upland hunting, and I still had a blast (and was pretty successful in my opinion).

Well, if you get in away from the roads you're definitely tilting the odds in your favor. Backpacking is a good way to do that. During rifle seasons meat spoilage is rarely an issue. During archery it can be but if you're fit enough to pack your stuff in, you'll have no problems packing meat out. Just keep a big cooler(s) with ice at the truck so you can get the meat on ice and go right back in.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: And so it begins... - 04/10/13
Well I like spending time afield with my dogs, and Sept is blue and sage grouse season. Then Oct. is partridge..

Elk hunting will get squeezed in there at some point. I hope to do plenty of scouting so hopefully that helps.

At last a man with a correct mindset. cool cool
Not quite, he left trout fishing completely out of the picture.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Elk hunting will get squeezed in there at some point. I hope to do plenty of scouting so hopefully that helps.

At last a man with a correct mindset. cool cool

Hey a guy's got to have his priorities in line....nothing like a dog on point.

I've sold myself on rifle hunting in Oct. Im fairly certain my Texas whitetail gun (remington 600 .243) isnt up to the task of taking a bull elk, or atleast I dont want to be under gunned.

As far as cost goes, the Ruger American in 30-06 seems hard to beat.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: And so it begins... - 04/11/13
Originally Posted by smokepole
Not quite, he left trout fishing completely out of the picture.

My dogs have an opinion about trout fishing. They are resigned to an off season, but just barely. smirk

[Linked Image]
Posted By: smokepole Re: And so it begins... - 04/11/13
My dog has an opinion on trout fishing too, but that doesn't mean I listen to him.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: And so it begins... - 04/11/13
grin

Maybe I need to train them to use a landing net and include them a bit. laugh
Posted By: smokepole Re: And so it begins... - 04/11/13
Mine's a retriever, he'd be the net if I let him.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/11/13
Im going to start looking for a 375 win. Back up with be the American in 06'.

But I'd really like to get one on the ground with a '94 BB in 375win. Just to do it....
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: And so it begins... - 04/12/13
JWP58,

Where in WY? I was stationed in Cheyenne for 6 years (before we had kids, even!), so I spent a considerable amount of time in the mountains west of Laramie.

Sage grouse with a bow while elk hunting would be possible--if you shoot them on the ground. I used to run across grouse all the time, especially near the North Platte. Maybe not the most "sporting" way to kill a grouse, but if you just want to eat grouse...
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/12/13
Thats the same area I'll be hunting, but I'll keep my bird hunting and elk hunting seperate.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: And so it begins... - 04/12/13
I recall Savage Run Wilderness Area holding a fair amount of elk. Public land, so I backpacked in, but it was pretty easy to get away from other people.

Awesome to be there in late September for the bugling. We loved being stationed in Wyoming.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/12/13
Thats good to hear. My main concern with rifle season is the crowds.

But I'll be hunting during the week, and backpacking in. Hopefully that will help.
After the first weekend bash, most head back home ..and the elk settle down some..Big thing is it is either very warm and the elk are in black timber, or it snows like heck, and it is difficult to get around..elk season is only 16 days..bird season is 3-4 mths..I think Joe was talking about blue grouse..they are mostly in the mts..Sage grouse are mainly a prairie bird..But I have seen them pretty high up in the foothills..
Posted By: kawi Re: And so it begins... - 04/13/13
A feller should dig a hole before the out house.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: And so it begins... - 04/13/13
jwp, Wyoming is an elk hunters paradise, I have done very well there. I drew a general season tag this year and really am looking forward to an either sex hunt. Get into where you want to hunt a few days early. Get to a high spot early (like before daylight) and listed and watch. Move a little but be looking until after dark. Preseason scouting is tremendously valuable. My elk in Wy have all been above 7000 feet.
JWP, Elkmen gives you some good advise..but when you consider Encampment, Wy. is 7000 feet it is not as high as it seems..there are elk all over the desert and foothills..but they often move out or to better cover due to deer hunters hitting the hills first..One thing I would try to do if at all possible. Is get out mid week..Like I said the opening day lots of folks moving..you can do very well as Elkmen said being in a good spot, and waiting..but most of my elk have been killed mid week..but I can hunt about 10min. from my door...Even when I had to travel farther, and was working most of them were taken mid week after things settle down..
Posted By: JWP58 Re: And so it begins... - 04/13/13
Thanks for the advice. I will be doing most of my hunting during the week, so that should help with the crowd.

Oh and ya so i will be hunting archery season, just bought my first compound bow.

So now its on....time to practice.
© 24hourcampfire