Home
Posted By: roosterhuntin Coal for Wall Tent - 08/17/13
I know there are different kinds of coal to use, but I am not sure which kind is better. Can somebody explain the differences and anybody know where I can get some shipped to my house? I was thinking I needed somewhat less than 25 pounds for 5 nights.

Thanks!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/17/13
Anthracite
Does coal potentially burn too hot for a thin tent stove?
Posted By: blackbruin Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/17/13
Anthracite coal, I was say nut size in a camp stove. Pm sent
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/17/13
yes. Without grates, you may wake up with the fire on the floor.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22

That's what I thought. Wood is free too. grin
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/17/13
grates aren't exactly gonna put a guy in the poorhouse, either....
Those old Army surplus M1941 stoves have a nice thick grate on them. I've always wanted to try one of them, they're fairly cheap on eBay.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/18/13
Those old milatary cannon heaters were nice for intended, but left a some to be desired. They needed a lot of tending with wood.

There are a couple places around Denver that piles coal towards fall.
My Farrier supply store still stocks it, most of the time.
Anyone need a stash of coal around Denver verified let me know

Most well built stoves will take coal in a thick bed of ashes. The trick to ashes is that it keeps air from the coal and insulates the stove. Coal is not intended for wide-open-throttle, it works best over a good bed of ashes and wood coals with the stove shut mostly down.

Coal burning in a lot of ashes can be very controlled for a long burn. But takes a little stirring on occasion. The bigger the solid chunk of coal, easier it is to manage.

I would be reluctant to burn coal up-wind of where I am going to hunt.
Most elk get downwind of wood smoke regularly, coal, not so much.

Coal produces a very thick pungent smoke till it cokes up (coals up).
Posted By: BWalker Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/19/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22

A grate is required when burning coal, not to keep the bottom of the stove from melting, but rather to expose the coal to enough air that it burns.
I tried to burn coal last year, and had mixed results with my particular stove. I wont bother with it this year.
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/20/13
We haven't had much luck with coal. There is so much beetle kill in our area that we spend a few hours cutting and splitting and we are good for the week. A properly loaded and properly vented stove will give good heat for 5 to 6 hours with wood.
Posted By: blackbruin Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/20/13
Burned coal here for years, I'm just outside pa hard coal country. Coal burns from underneath, you can blow air on top of burning coal and shut the bottom draft and it will die out. A grate of some sort, or a few 1/2 or 3/4 pipes with many drilled holes like a manifold in the bottom of your stove connected to a ball valve on the outside or some sort of damper will work. Gotta get air underneath. Now putting a little coal on top of wood, with I burnt wood and coals to act as a grate and allowing air flow will work.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Coal for Wall Tent - 08/20/13
My wood burning box stove worked well in my wall tent but is VERY heavy.

I found a nice little pot-belly coal burner at an estate sale and gave it a try last year. This little stove couldn't burn wood because the chamber is too small. It made me a little nervous because the stove would actually glow red from the heat of the coal but I'm pleased with it. It's a little powerhouse.
© 24hourcampfire