Home
What are you going to shoot this fall??
I wish I still had the Model 70 30-06 with the 3-9x Weaver that I bought at Gambles when I was 14 in Rawlins. This year I'll be using a Tikka T3 Lite 270 WSM with a Vortex Diamondback scope
Primary: Rem 700 KS, 270 Win with 130 gr TSX/NPT, VX-2 3x9, little over 7 lbs.
Backup: Win M70, 300H&H with 150gr or 180gr TSX/NPT's, VX-R 4x12, little under 9 lbs.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I'll be headed out to NM for cow elk this fall, will be packing a set of shooting sticks and a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 firing a 520 gr. government bullet into an elk via the barrel sights.

Gunner
This year, I got drawn for bowhunting. Will be a Hoyt bow shooting a carbon arrow with a G5 broadhead. My bull hunt starts September 13th.

When I hunt with a rifle, it is a Weatherby Accumark in Weatherby 300 shooting 180 Accubond bullets with a Swarovski 6-24X50 scope.
I thought it would be a Winchester '06 powered by 58 grains of H4350 spitting out a 165 TSX,

But the last few range sessions have been hinting that the Winchester .300 wizzum powered by 65 grains of H4350 spitting out a 165 TSX might win first place.

Tomorrow I will dabble with the '06, and the .300 and both will also be shooting 155 grain Scenars,for the first time, just to make things even more confusing.

I'll let you know for sure tomorrow night.
Kimber Montana: 338 Federal; 160 TTSX (~3040 FPS); VX2 3-9 w/CDS; 5lb 15oz
Remington 700 .300 Win Mag, Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS firing a Berger 185 Hunting VLD.
Mod 70 feather weight in 6.5x55 w/Denver Redfield 1-4x scope. back up rifle, haven't decided yet but leaning toward my Paul Jager 03 Springfield in 30-06 w/2 3/4x Denver Redfield widefield. In the 6.5 I'll use 140gr Hornady Inter Locks and the 30-06, 180gr Hornady Inter Locks.
My old 338 is getting the nod again this Fall.. Loaded with 210 PT's

[Linked Image]

Not sure what the back up to that one is going to be. Either the 300, 7mm or 270WSM though. The 270 and 7mm are shooting the new ABLR's pretty well. Still working on the 300 right now..
A Remington LSS 300 Win Mag under a 4X-12X Leupold in dual dove tails. 180 grain TTSX over 7828.

The Uh Oh rig will be an LSS in 7 Rem Mag shooting 160 grain Partitions wearing a 3.5X-10X Leupold.

Should something change in the next 6 or 7 weeks with the 300 Winny,a T3 7 Rem Mag will fill it's spot. 4X-12X Leupy and 160gr A-Bonds over 66gr of 7828.
Originally Posted by beretzs

[Linked Image]

Not sure what the back up to that one is going to be. Either the 300, 7mm or 270WSM though. The 270 and 7mm are shooting the new ABLR's pretty well. Still working on the 300 right now..

Damn! That might just be my idea of the perfect elk slayer. I'd love to run across one like it. Sweet.
Plan is 700 saum and 162's. Leupie 6x42.
Originally Posted by Otter6

[Linked Image]

Damn! That might just be my idea of the perfect elk slayer. I'd love to run across one like it. Sweet.

Thank you. It is my perfect elk rifle. It has a Swaro 2.5x10 on it now and it just seems to be as perfect a rifle I have ever fired. Love it. Now, I just gotta get an elk to stand still long enough to prove it!
Stock ADL .25-06 and 110 Accubonds pushed by 50 grains of H4831 and a Federal 215 primer. Scope is a plain ol' friction adjust VX-I 2-7X32. I've got plenty of capable rifles, but this one has been neglected lately.
I plan on shooting 1 of my 4 elk with my Fathers pre-64 model 70 in 30/06. When I do...my Grandfather, Father, and I will all have killed elk, deer, and pronghorn in Montana with the same rifle.

The other 3 are going to be on the short end of my new 7-08...
.50 caliber muzzleloader, T/C Triumph, no scope. 350 grain bullet.
the subject line is pretty presumptuous. Does everyone hunt with a scope?

I'll be using a Winchester 1885 made in 1887. No scope - tang sight instead. .38-72 (not the original caliber), with a load of 68 grs Swiss 1.5 and a 300 gr FN PPB and a Sharps Original Recipe grease cookie.

Maybe you could start your own thread and word it however you like.......

Or just post your facts and mention, irons?

It's not hard.
First elk gets a G5 Montec second gets a TTSX from a 300WSM or 7 Mashburn.
Originally Posted by wageslave

It's not hard.

'nother bad day, eh? Sorry to hear that.
Tikka 300 wsm with 180 grain nosler or hornady bullet. Worked well on 4 other elk.
Originally Posted by BrentD

It's not hard.

Deflection won't change the fact that you are an ass......

It's not hard.

a REALLY bad day apparently.

Sorry to get your goat all roped up like that but maybe you will calm down in the morning.
Rem 700 XCRll 338 RUM under a VX2 4.5x14 with CDS running 225gr SST 3200fps,pretty satisfied with performance so far.

in case of a horse wreck, the retired mod 70 w/h vari x 2 3x9 running 225gr NABs 2780 fps, it's accounted for 14 elk and a few mulies in 20 years from 80 - 560 yards.
I'll be elk hunting this fall with my .300 Weatherby Vanguard that I custom stocked. It's topped with a 4-12x Leupold and I'll be shooting 168 gr TTSX handloads at 3250 fps.

[Linked Image]

It's not hard.

a REALLY bad day apparently.

Sorry to get your goat all roped up like that but maybe you will calm down in the morning.

Won't be any different in the morning....you will still be a thread stirring ass.
When you come up the stairs out of the basement, try to find someone who cares.
Good luck.
looks like you are doing all the stirring. I will look forward to your cheerfulness in the morning
I always bow hunt but this year drew my third choice with 4 percent odds first rifle. I am a rifle loony but love elk bow hunting. I can use an easy year so with the Gods shining I will either roll with my Remy Ti 30-06 and a 180 NAB and Hunter or my Remy Ti 300 WM and a 180 NAB and Magnum or 200 NAB and H1000. October can't get here soon enough and September will be hard not bow hunting! Good luck to all!
FN Mauser, Hart barrel, HTS stock and Leupy 3.5 x 10. 270 Win with 150 gr NPT.
Re-good luck.

Remington 700 ADL 338/06 Leupold 3X9 compact, 210 Nosler partitions
I have some bigbore hemroids as of late thou I can allways fall back on my 300sav 150gr fed. Just me.
An old Savage 111E in 7mm-rm from the mid-60s, that I traded a horseshoeing and a mule trim for.

Had to paint and tweek it myself, rather proud of the results!

[Linked Image]

3X9X40 Ziess Conquest Z-600 held down by a DNZ Game Reaper one-piece red Loc-tite'd in place.

Spitting 140 grain Nolsers BTs over 64.70 grains of H4831-SC and WLRM primer @ 3.455 COL. Tight factory crimped into my best FC range brass.

Maybe go a little fancier this year? And sport-up for a box of Accubonds?
Maybe even tumble some brass!
Pre 64 Winchester either in 270 or 264 WM. 130 grn partitions in the 270. 140 grn partition in the 264.
Both rifles with Leupold 3x9x40's with LRD reticle in Tally eteel rings. Both rifles with Montana slings.
Cow elk in Colorado unit 23 / 24 with a 1962 Remington 721 in 30-06 with the original Weaver 4x scope.
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
An old Savage 111E in 7mm-rm from the mid-60s, that I traded a horseshoeing and a mule trim for.

Had to paint and tweek it myself, rather proud of the results!

[Linked Image]

3X9X40 Ziess Conquest Z-600 held down by a DNZ Game Reaper one-piece red Loc-tite'd in place.

Spitting 140 grain Nolsers BTs over 64.70 grains of H4831-SC and WLRM primer @ 3.455 COL. Tight factory crimped into my best FC range brass.

Maybe go a little fancier this year? And sport-up for a box of Accubonds?
Maybe even tumble some brass!

Dang Kevin. That's a wall-worthy bull. Nice! The only thing that would make that bull better is pack horses. LOL
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'll be headed out to NM for cow elk this fall, will be packing a set of shooting sticks and a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 firing a 520 gr. government bullet into an elk via the barrel sights.

Gunner

That sir, is friggin' cool! Don't forget pics. Good luck!

Feel free to not post in threads you find "presumptuous". We won't miss you or your presumptions. grin

Back to topic.

[Linked Image]

.264 Win Mag/4.5-14/140 VLD @ 3250fps.

Why mess with perfection. (is that presumptuous?) laugh laugh
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

No less than we've come to expect. grin
JB, how long is the 264 barrel, and what powder do you use???
Dad gave me new Ruger American in .30-06 but I haven't had a chance to fire it yet and want to swap the scope before I do. He also gave me 5 boxes of Federal 165g Gameking and one of 165g Trophy Bonded Tip. If this rifle goes the Gamekings will be practice ammo and the TB will be my hunting ammo - provided they shoot well. This rifle may go antelope hunting in October and if it does the chances that it will go elk hunting decrease significantly. Gamekings for the antelope.

There is a virgin Rem M700 .30-06 in the safe, too, although it has at least been in the field.

Like most years, I probably won't know for sure what is going elk hunting until the week before when I make my last range trip.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Gunner

That sir, is friggin' cool! Don't forget pics. Good luck!

Thanks CFT, Wifeys been giving me digital camera lessons so I'll have some good pics for e-mailing, I will find a cow and she will fall. smile

Gunner
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Pre 64 Winchester either in 270 or 264 WM. 130 grn partitions in the 270. 140 grn partition in the 264.
Both rifles with Leupold 3x9x40's with LRD reticle in Tally eteel rings. Both rifles with Montana slings.

That right there is a very cool pair of rifles! Aweseome loads as well.

Feel free to not post in threads you find "presumptuous". We won't miss you or your presumptions. grin

Back to topic.

[Linked Image]

That's a great looking set up! Love to hear your load notes as well.

[Linked Image]

That right there looks like the perfect answer. I also doubt like hell that you would be needing a back-up wink

I'll also be using a 338 win mag (not nearly as nice as beretzs'), but I don't mind dragging this thing thru the brush. Generally when I'm done for the season, the bottom metal comes off and gets re-painted (one of these days I'll have it cerakoted). Wood stock gets another coat of wax and everything is cleaned and put away for the next elk season grin...This rifle won't need a "backup" either and has elk under it's belt. The 338 just hammers the heck out of them too grin...:

[Linked Image]

Plain ol Ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag, running 250 gr. sierra gamekings @ 2,600, Bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10x40 with firefly reticle.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

That right there looks like the perfect answer. I also doubt like hell that you would be needing a back-up wink

Yeah, it is shooting very well, this past year I did bed the recoil lug, in order to prolong the beating it was giving the stock, but so far, it shoots everything pretty well. Even developed a load with the old 275 grain Speer Hot Cors that come outta the rifle around 2650FPS with RL22. Not the most accurate, but still MOA or better at 200.

[Linked Image]

The only reason I would carry another rifle would be just to change it up. The 270WSM is a pretty lucky rifle. It has taken a few elk and deer, but being my smallest "elk" rifle, I tend to leave it behind more than I should.
Ah!!! Elmer's bullet, didn't think anyone used them much any more...

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it is shooting very well, this past year I did bed the recoil lug, in order to prolong the beating it was giving the stock, but so far, it shoots everything pretty well. Even developed a load with the old 275 grain Speer Hot Cors that come outta the rifle around 2650FPS with RL22. Not the most accurate, but still MOA or better at 200.

[Linked Image]

The only reason I would carry another rifle would be just to change it up. The 270WSM is a pretty lucky rifle. It has taken a few elk and deer, but being my smallest "elk" rifle, I tend to leave it behind more than I should.

I like the way you think grin....Here's how my plain ol 338 win mag shoots:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. Topped with a 3.5-10x50 Kahles and loaded with 180 gr Barnes TTSX handloads.
I will be using my Win. Model 70 338WM with 210 Barnes TSX bullets, with a 3x9 4200 Bushnell scope. This is my favorite elk rifle.
My wife will be using her Savage Lady Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoore, shooting 130gr. Nosler AB's, it is topped with a Minox 3x9.
Good luck to all!

Yeah, I traded into about 250-300 of them. Haven't did anything but develop loads for them, but I can't help but think they'd be just fine for elk and such!

BSA, that is a great shooter right there. Load?

Yeah, I traded into about 250-300 of them. Haven't did anything but develop loads for them, but I can't help but think they'd be just fine for elk and such!

BSA, that is a great shooter right there. Load?

Thanks buddy. To answer your question:

250 gr. sierra gk
CCI 250
R-P brass
67gr. IMR 4350
.020" off lands
Gotcha, thank you for passing it. Any idea on the speed outta your rifle. I used a little IMR4350 working with the 210's and it seemed excellent, just didn't have as much of it, as RL19/22, so I stuck with those two. I know the 4350's are probably, about as traditionally excellent in the 338 Win Mag as it gets though.
Gotcha, thank you for passing it. Any idea on the speed outta your rifle. I used a little IMR4350 working with the 210's and it seemed excellent, just didn't have as much of it, as RL19/22, so I stuck with those two. I know the 4350's are probably, about as traditionally excellent in the 338 Win Mag as it gets though.

Right at 2600 and it puts a hurtin on elk grin
Perfect! Yeah, I would imagine so. My pop's used the old 225 grain TBBC's in my older 338 Win Mag for a few animals, elk, a brown bear and a couple of deer too. Really worked well on all of them. I have a recovered 225 TBBC from his brown bear. Perfect performance, and while it took three shots on the bear, they were all in the lung heart, but just as others said, he kept shooting till movement ceased. I chrono'ed them recently and they were "only" running about 2780, so not super fast, but everything he took was pretty much one and done, except for the bear.

The Sierra's shoot excellent outta my Pre 64 as well, matter of fact, I can pretty much interchange the 250 SGK for the 250 PT and everything stays pretty tuned.
Perfect! Yeah, I would imagine so. My pop's used the old 225 grain TBBC's in my older 338 Win Mag for a few animals, elk, a brown bear and a couple of deer too. Really worked well on all of them. I have a recovered 225 TBBC from his brown bear. Perfect performance, and while it took three shots on the bear, they were all in the lung heart, but just as others said, he kept shooting till movement ceased. I chrono'ed them recently and they were "only" running about 2780, so not super fast, but everything he took was pretty much one and done, except for the bear.

The Sierra's shoot excellent outta my Pre 64 as well, matter of fact, I can pretty much interchange the 250 SGK for the 250 PT and everything stays pretty tuned.

That's one heck of a nice pre 64 you have there buddy. I have one in my back pocket (so to speak) at the moment. I went thru the try every bullet I can stage and decided to just stick with the sierra GK for some obvious reasons. I know a lot of guys don't like them, but then again most of those guys haven't used them on game. As of right now, I know 3 different guys in my area that use the same load (however, powder charge varries from 67-70 gr's) in their 338's and have successfully and cleanly taken elk with them. I'm not saying it's the best or only bullet, it's just the one I've settled on. Your 275 speer load probably knocks the heck out of them too. Good luck this season, hope you get a nice one!!!
Thank you for the luck. I'll need it. We will be in your neck of the woods in a few months.

Yeah, I have played with the 250's, 275's even the 200 AB's. All of them shoot plenty good for elk, with good speeds too. Just running with the 210 PT this Fall. Seems like a cool one and runs a hair over 3000, so it shoots about like a 300 magnum with a little more frontal area..
Remington 700 chambered in .300 RUM, Leupold 4-12 with CDS and the new 210 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range. mtmuley
What, no rifles for winter, spring or summer elk?

This entire thread is yet another example of the extreme prejudice of the Campfire. All politically-correct elk hunters (yes, both of you!) should avoid it entirely.
Thank you for the luck. I'll need it. We will be in your neck of the woods in a few months.

Yeah, I have played with the 250's, 275's even the 200 AB's. All of them shoot plenty good for elk, with good speeds too. Just running with the 210 PT this Fall. Seems like a cool one and runs a hair over 3000, so it shoots about like a 300 magnum with a little more frontal area..

I know one guy down here that only runs the 210's in his win model 70 stainless classic sporter and he claims to get over 3,000 fps out of them and they work great. Back in late 90's when I started loading for my 338's, I couldn't afford the 210 partitons (at the local sporting goods store prices) so I just bought the sierra gamekings, hornady interlocks and the speers. Now you can buy the partitons at SPS and not have to spend a lot on them. Yes, I know I'm a cheap azz grin. Just don't hold that against me wink
1917, When I had my last .338 it had a 26" barrel and with re 19 I could get 210's to zip along at about 3050fps..BUT it was several grains over the listed max.. I used Hagel's idea of a safe load being able to fire a load in the same case 5 times and still have a tight primer pocket.. But I decided the 200 in the .300 was just as good.. With a tad less recoil.. Now with my .340 I have been using 225's and have loads for 250's.. But haven't shot anything with the .340 for a couple years..
I'll likely be shooting a Savage 110 in 35Whelan, 200gr TSX, Weaver/Nitrex 3-9.
The backup plan is the Marlin 1895 45-70 300gr Partitions, Weaver 1-3.

Originally Posted by smokepole

No less than we've come to expect. grin

Well at least I am consistent. grin

JB, how long is the 264 barrel, and what powder do you use???

26 inches and Retumbo. The throat is pretty long.
1917, When I had my last .338 it had a 26" barrel and with re 19 I could get 210's to zip along at about 3050fps..BUT it was several grains over the listed max.. I used Hagel's idea of a safe load being able to fire a load in the same case 5 times and still have a tight primer pocket.. But I decided the 200 in the .300 was just as good.. With a tad less recoil.. Now with my .340 I have been using 225's and have loads for 250's.. But haven't shot anything with the .340 for a couple years..

Yep, I hear that and follow that philosophy as well. The 210 can be a smoking hot elk killer out of the 338. The guy I was refering to also had a 26" barrel and I don't doubt he was getting over 3,000 fps with his rifle. He was also getting very good accuracy out of that rifle and load as well. He got his elk every year around these parts so my hat goes off to him. He definately knew what worked and I'm sure still continues to use that rifle and load combo (haven't talked to him in about 10 years now)...

Back to topic.

[Linked Image]

Hey I shot that rifle! I thought it was mine! grin If I had to kill an elk at 1200 yards, that's what I'd want because it's the only rifle I have ever shot at 1200 yards grin It struck me that the 140 Berger is a nasty bullet at 1200 yards. smile wink

But John Burns would have to come with the rifle cause he's a good coach. wink

I don't have an elk tag this year, (only mule deer)...but if I did I would take my M70 7mm Mashburn Super/6x36 Leupold with 160 NPT's or 160 Bitterroots at 3200 fps.

Just as well I don't have a tag...I couldn't kill anything with my rifle..... While nice to carry at a smidge under 8 pounds, the outfit is hopelessly gay....the cartridge is about 60 years old, the M 70 sucks, the scope has too few X's, and the bullets have no plastic tips and are low BC....in a slight zephyr they will drift out of the kill zone "...like leaves that before the wild hurricane fly..."; they might penetrate too much and the BBC will retain too much weight. frown

I can't hit anything with it beyond 600 yards and am challenged even at that distance...even the mule deer are in little jeopardy.....but I will have fun any way because maybe John Burns will buy me a drink in Casper, and let me shoot the 264 again(fun!) grin and I can maybe get to Saratoga for a bite to eat with Wyoming Coyote Hunter at the Wolf. smile
Bob, sounds like you are way under gunned wink...I hope you are catching a lot of fish right now for the freezer grin
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I thought it would be a Winchester '06 powered by 58 grains of H4350 spitting out a 165 TSX,

But the last few range sessions have been hinting that the Winchester .300 wizzum powered by 65 grains of H4350 spitting out a 165 TSX might win first place.

Tomorrow I will dabble with the '06, and the .300 and both will also be shooting 155 grain Scenars,for the first time, just to make things even more confusing.

Official results, The .300 wizzum and 165 grain TSX just became the main carry rifle this season,

The 06 lupy scope seems to have too much parallax(?), I thought the barrel was shot, but there is too much movement in the scope while cranked up to 8x.

I'm off to the Optics forum,I need answers, if things get weird there, and they usually do, Please organize an intervention of close friends.

Do not let me slide off the deep end .
Bob in NH, sounds like a plan!!
Primary rifle: Ruger No. 1-S in 9.3x74R with a Leupold VX-3 1-4X scope and 250 ABs.

Backup/Nasty Weather rifle: .338 Win Mag in a Remington-made 1903 action with a Douglas Premium barrel and a Rimrock stock, 210 Partitions @ 2,950 fps. Oh, and a well-used Leupold VX-II 3-9X40.

Official results, The .300 wizzum and 165 grain TSX just became the main carry rifle this season,

The 06 lupy scope seems to have too much parallax(?), I thought the barrel was shot, but there is too much movement in the scope while cranked up to 8x.

I'm off to the Optics forum,I need answers, if things get weird there, and they usually do, Please organize an intervention of close friends.

Do not let me slide off the deep end .

Good luck brother. Put your nomex underware on first. I've got your back until all the Leupold lovers start to dogpile on your azz. Then I'm outta there, you'll be on your own whistle grin

I also got some free coaching on long range shooting from a gracious John Burns, at the last WY campfire get together. He's a good coach and generous with his time. Just the same I'll be limiting my shots at elk to about 400 yards. I've recently gotten a 25-06 for deer and antelope which I have setup with a Leupold CDS scope and I'll shoot farther with that under the right conditions, but I'm not going to use a 25-06 for elk.

This year I'll be using a T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 with a Leupold VX-III 3.5 x 10 x 40 scope and 180 grain Nosler Partitions hand loaded to perform like a .300 mag (61 grain RE22 - 2,820 fps). It's ugly and BORRING!!! but it's reliable and accurate.

KC

I know one guy down here that only runs the 210's in his win model 70 stainless classic sporter and he claims to get over 3,000 fps out of them and they work great. Back in late 90's when I started loading for my 338's, I couldn't afford the 210 partitons (at the local sporting goods store prices) so I just bought the sierra gamekings, hornady interlocks and the speers. Now you can buy the partitons at SPS and not have to spend a lot on them. Yes, I know I'm a cheap azz grin. Just don't hold that against me wink

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be too hard to get the speed outta te 210's. I'm just a touch over Noslers max with the 210's and getting about the same speeds. 25" barrel on mine as well. Pretty easy shooting load though.
TC inline ML ,295 gr Powerbelts, 100gr BP. No scope.

Then Model 70,pre 64, 220 gr Sierra RN, leupold 2.5-8 scope. Might carry a Marlin 44mag carbine or Win. Model 94 in 30-30 on a few days
Sako A7, 7mm Rem Mag, Leupold 2.5 x 8 scope, 154 gr. Hornady Interbonds.

(The Interbonds are a change this year. They shoot better than Accubonds in my gun.)
Ruger 77 tanger, 55 grains IMR 4320 under a Hornady 250 grain SPPT.

Scope - Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2x8
Originally Posted by roundoak

35 Whelen?

Gunner
Mine will be a ss Howa in 300 wm with a McMillan sako classic and Zeiss 3-9x40. Shooting 150 gr ttsx's right at 3300 fps. Last 3 yesterday went under an inch at 115 yards.
Ruger tang safety composite stock, 270Win, 2.5-8 Vari-X 3 Leupold, 150gr Partition over 52gr H4350.

I have other options, but this is my favorite.
Originally Posted by cowdoc
Ruger tang safety composite stock, 270Win, 2.5-8 Vari-X 3 Leupold, 150gr Partition over 52gr H4350.

I have other options, but this is my favorite.

That's another one of those GREAT loads for a 270 Winchester.
This fall will be time for one of the Forbes 24B to get out there with a few 180gr. Accubonds and a Leupie 6x36. Bugling season in NM should be interesting. One man drop camp diy.
Kimber Montana 300wsm-4.5 x 14 vx-3 with cds, 200 grain accubonds cooking 2,880.

Should bring home the steaks assuming I can find said steaks...
Originally Posted by roundoak

35 Whelen?

Gunner

Yeh, how did I miss that? blush
For HS graduation (wayyyyy back in the early '80's), my dad bought me a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm RM. Though i've killed some whitetails with it (without a scope), this will be it's "maiden voyage" for elk - it's intended use.

Some years back (~15 or so), I put a cheapy 6x Simmons on it, but never shot it. So, this past summer during the CO "Get-together", I sighted it in and then took it out to ~365yds if memory serves. It managed to keep itself in a kill-zone sized pattern so I figure it's deadly to 200yds anyway.

We'll see about next year!
Hunting CO Area 56 4th season. Mid-'80s vintage tang safety Ruger M77 .30-06 with Leupold 2x7 VXII. If I can find any, it will be loaded with Barnes Vor-Tx 168 TTSX. If not, Nosler Trophy Grade 168 E-Tips.

Expat
Dakota Arms, 30-06, scoped with a Schmidt Bender 6x42 or Zeiss 3x9 shooting 165 grain Nosler Partition handloads.
laugh

Gunner
wood/blue ruger mk2 in 30-06, 180gr partition reloads, 3-9x40 leupy. this combo has worked for me for years.
I am using my model 70 classic 300 ultra with 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3300+ fps. My brother is using my model 700 300 win mag with the same bullet as above at 3000 fps and my brother in law is using my Mcmillan 280 rem firing 150gr Swift Scirocco 2's at 2950.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Hey I shot that rifle! I thought it was mine! grin If I had to kill an elk at 1200 yards, that's what I'd want because it's the only rifle I have ever shot at 1200 yards grin It struck me that the 140 Berger is a nasty bullet at 1200 yards. smile wink

If you and Bill had that gun there would not be a safe elk in the entirety of Carbon County WY. laugh laugh

Hope to get another chance to kill some LR rocks with you again sometime Bob. It was really fun. Given the time a steak and whiskey in Saratoga sounds pretty good.
All those elk you all have near Greybull and you travel to Carbon County for elk??? Saratoga is a nice town though. I'll give ya that. Rawlins on the other hand...
I've killed almost all my elk with a .280, but picked up a custom .300 win mag and building a .280 Ackley. The win mag's been shooting good with 180 Sierras! Never had a Magnum!
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
All those elk you all have near Greybull and you travel to Carbon County for elk??? Saratoga is a nice town though. I'll give ya that. Rawlins on the other hand...

Heck no. I go to Carbon County to shoot with Bob. I hunt bulls in Park county at the head of the Greybull river.

Although there are some pretty good bulls where Bob hunts it is not my home stomping grounds.

I am trying to get in on the Saratoga get together as I have been stuck in Casper. Just trying to upgrade. laugh
Browning 338 win mag,250 gr bergers,66.5 grains re17,2775fps.
Under 2.5" at 300 yds.Kahles 3x9 with tds reticle.
Fred
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

Heck no. I go to Carbon County to shoot with Bob. I hunt bulls in Park county at the head of the Greybull river.

Although there are some pretty good bulls where Bob hunts it is not my home stomping grounds.

I am trying to get in on the Saratoga get together as I have been stuck in Casper. Just trying to upgrade. laugh

John I have your number....will get WCH's number and see if we can coordinate in Saratoga.

Funny anecdote, after you left. smile We (Bill, John, and I)were glassing near the Eagle, above the Bow River, and spotted two bulls and a cow...John had a cow tag and they were "far", but not as far as we had shot with you. Getting dark and I commented there was not enough time to get over there....Bill said, "If we had John Burn's rifle, we could kill her from here..." grin

Big bulls in Carbon County? Bill killed a 363 7x7 last year.....270-130 Nosler Partitions. I have the recovered bullets in my desk drawer. smile
CO unit 24, first rifle. .300 Win Mag T/C Venture, Bushnell Trophy XLT, Barnes Vortex 180gr TTSX. Not bad for a lower $$$ package, shoots good. Hoping the operator can put the bullet where it needs to be if I can catch a bull getting pushed by me from all the orange army smile
Tikka T3 in .270 wsm shooting Barnes TSX 130's over RL22. Scope is Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14x50.
Borden 300 wsm topped with a Leupold vx6 3-18 and flinging either 180 gr accubonds or 165 gr tsx.

September can't get here soon enough!
Ruger M77 35 Whelen shooting Hornady 250gr RN. Topped with an older Leupold VX2 3-9.

Son will be shooting a Remington M700 270 Win shooting 150gr NP. Topped with a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 4-12. (I know it is a Simmons but have been very impressed with this scope.)

This is my son's first elk hunt where he is going out with his tag.

Hoping to fill an any and a cow tag area 45 WY.

Good luck to everyone this season.
At the moment, I'm rushing to get a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt up and running. It needs a trigger job and some load workup on paper. Backup is a Kimber Montana in .308, but I'm focusing on using the handgun this year wherever practical.

Tom
An old tang safety m-77 topped with a vx-III 2.5-8x36 in 7mm rem mag firing handloaded 175 Noslers. It has got some catching up to do for elk kills....over heard the .280 and the 45-70 marlin flipping it chit not that long ago. whistle

That's my plan anyway, could change in moments notice though due to weather or whims.... wink

My usual go to elk rifle is a Remington BDL 350 Rem mag with the barrel cut to 20" topped with a Leupold 4x compact. Shooting 225 gr sierra gamekings at 2600.

If I hunt more open country my Remington 700 338-06AI might get to go along, its only killed one elk and is a little jealous. It is topped with a new VX-2 3-9x40 CDS. I have a new load worked up for it shooting RL15 behind a 225 Accubond at 2750 out of a 22" barrel.

Good luck to all you Wapiti hunters out there.
Browning X-bolt Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag and she is topped with a Nikon Monarch. I'm still screwing around with loads, but it looks like a 180g Accubond with RL22 is going to be the ticket for this year....unless I can get my hands on the new 190g Long Range AB in time to work up a load.

Good luck everyone!
Weatherby 30-378 180gr TSX w/107.5 gr Retumbo. I have some 200 gr LRX I need to try! Topped with a Burris 4.5x14 Balistic plex. It has treated me well over the years. I will be in unit 55 here at home with a buck tag as well.
Weatherby vanguard stainless cut to 20" in a carbilite stock, 2.5-10x44, 300win mag, 180gr Etip at 2950fps. Metal has a nice rattle can paint job. Claw sling. I'm hunting mixed cover in a low elk number unit. Odds of a bear or cougar are about the same as a bull elk.
No tag for me this year, I will be tagging along and hopefully can be there when my FIL kills his. He's shooting an Interarms Mark X .300 Win Mag shooting 150 TSX's topped with a 4-16x Nikon Monarch AO
Got a new 280 Ackley coming from Melvin probably use it this year If not then my Model 28 300 WM with 175gr barnes LRX or 180 Accubonds either one flat kills Elk ! good luck to everyone !
Allen Precision .270 WSM. I see it as an elk capable light weight varmint rifle.
John Burns, I like the looks of that rifle. Some day I may have to have a 6.5 something.
Another Tang safety 338 win mag reload 200 grain Accubonds topped with a Ziess conquest 2.5- 10. Switched from partion to accubonds see how they do.
Remington mdl 78 rebarreled with a 700 35 Whelen barrel. Shoots 225 Accubonds and 225 Sierras into an inch, but the ABs hit 2" higer. Running 54grs of Ramshot TAC for 2700 fps.

I'll also take along my T3 270 Win shooting 130 ABs. Were limited to spikes only, so I have no worries about using a light bullet.
Browning A-bolt 300WM shooting 200 grain Nosler accubonds at 3015 fps (max load of Retumbo). Topped with a Leupold 3.5 X 10 in Talley mounts. Consistent .5MOA out to 400 yards. I did have to modify the magazine with parts from a .375H&H mag for adequate length.

[Linked Image]

I'll also be using a 338 win mag (not nearly as nice as beretzs'), but I don't mind dragging this thing thru the brush. Generally when I'm done for the season, the bottom metal comes off and gets re-painted (one of these days I'll have it cerakoted). Wood stock gets another coat of wax and everything is cleaned and put away for the next elk season grin...This rifle won't need a "backup" either and has elk under it's belt. The 338 just hammers the heck out of them too grin...:

[Linked Image]

Plain ol Ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag, running 250 gr. sierra gamekings @ 2,600, Bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10x40 with firefly reticle.

Zero experience on elk sized critters, but i've found the 30cal 165gr Gameking to be an ideal cup and core bullet on whitetails. I'd be fine with a 250gr out of that 338!
Well Matt, I just bought a rifle yesterday that might just have to go elk hunting this year blush.....I know you like your lever guns so.........:

[Linked Image]

We'll see how it shoots though. However, I have high hopes for it grin
Well Matt, I just bought a rifle yesterday that might just have to go elk hunting this year blush.....I know you like your lever guns so.........:

[Linked Image]

You son of a gun! Man, I have wanted one of them for just about as long as I remember. They are constantly on my GB saved searches, but I just haven't had the money to spring for one just yet. What a cool elk rifle right there. Quite a few cool bullets for that 348 too. Can't wait to hear how it shoots!

Congrats on such a GREAT rifle. I hope to have one in the future as well, an old Winchester like that is just a dream rifle and with some 250's in the chamber, and some range work with that peep, you have a solid 200 yard THUMPER!

Dang, I am jealous. Back to Gun Broker and sweating over the latest deals!
I think my CZ 550 American Kevlar in 9.3x62 may get the bid to go elk hunting this year. Although it is 1 pound heavier than my next lightest elk rifle but, it shoots really straight and hits hard. My favorite hand load is a 286 grain Nosler Partition over a moderate load of Ram Shot Big Game powder. My other choices are my Ruger M77 358 Win, or my really lightweight Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag. I hand load and my bullet of choice for all three is the venerable Nosler Partition when hunting elk and most other game. The NP's just seem to shoot well in most all of my rifles.

[Linked Image]

Yup caught that in the winnie section a few minutes ago and commented on it, you lucky duck! wink
I'm waiting for my FFL to receive a Kimber Montana 84M in 308. Should be delivered today. I was using a Ruger 77 International in 308, Hornady 150 SPBT with RE15 powder. Prior to that I was using a custom Sako, Garrett Accralite stock, Douglas XX Barrel chambered in 280. 154 Hornady SP using IMR4350. Over the years killed a few elk with both rifles.
Very sharp .348... My uncle owned one just like it.. Great buy..
Oh, Oh, I would grab that .348 in a hearbeat and start hunting with a lever gun again.
Browning xbolt white gold medallion .300 win Leupold 6.5-20 180 gr partitions.

[Linked Image]

You son of a gun! Man, I have wanted one of them for just about as long as I remember. They are constantly on my GB saved searches, but I just haven't had the money to spring for one just yet. What a cool elk rifle right there. Quite a few cool bullets for that 348 too. Can't wait to hear how it shoots!

Congrats on such a GREAT rifle. I hope to have one in the future as well, an old Winchester like that is just a dream rifle and with some 250's in the chamber, and some range work with that peep, you have a solid 200 yard THUMPER!

Dang, I am jealous. Back to Gun Broker and sweating over the latest deals!

Thanks my friend. I've had one of these on my wish/bucket list for a while now. Never thought I'd have one, kind of like I don't think I'll ever make it to Africa frown..This one just fell into my lap at a deal I couldn't pass up!!!! The nice thing about this one is, it has been carried/hunted (a lot of character grin..) so I'm not going to worry about it as much. It will definitely get used!! wink..
Man, I hope you can put it to good use this Fall. Any idea what your going to run in it? Great rifle, I like that it looks well hunted. Plenty of room for more character too!
Either my Sako 75 in 7mm mag with 165 grain Nosler partitions (federal factory loads) or my Grandfather's Rem. 7600 in .35 Whelen running 220 grain spitzers (that's what the box says). I can't ask as I inherited it recently.
Again this Year I'll take my mid 50's M70 300 H&H/legend/swaro Z3/180 TTSX.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by handwerk
[Linked Image]

WOW! Very nice elk rifle! That is a SWEET set up!
Beautiful on both counts!!!
Man, I hope you can put it to good use this Fall. Any idea what your going to run in it? Great rifle, I like that it looks well hunted. Plenty of room for more character too!

Thanks buddy. I'm pretty excited about this one. Gunner is sending me some Hornady's to try out and I'll probably get some Barnes 250 gr. bullets too and see which one shoots the best. Blackdog1 is helping me out with a die set so all is looking great!!! If I can get a good load worked up by November, I'll probably use this old thing grin cool
Originally Posted by handwerk
[Linked Image]

Man, what a combo there. Nice bull too!!
Thanks Guys, a lotto nice rigs on these pages
Thanks buddy. I'm pretty excited about this one. Gunner is sending me some Hornady's to try out and I'll probably get some Barnes 250 gr. bullets too and see which one shoots the best. Blackdog1 is helping me out with a die set so all is looking great!!! If I can get a good load worked up by November, I'll probably use this old thing grin cool

I have a set of dies waiting for the rifle to show up! HA. I figure as soon as I find some brass, I will have to get a little more serious about getting the rifle! It is next on my list of wants. I would actually be just fine with one of the Browning made ones as well.

Those 250's would be fearsome in the elk woods. I have a BLR in 358 that is a very handy rifle, but it doesn't stop the want for the M71 at all.
Winchester M70 Featherweight, 7x57 Mauser, Leupold VX2 3-9x40, 160gr Nosler Partition on 45gr of RL17 w/CCI 200s and Winchester brass.

I have a set of dies waiting for the rifle to show up! HA. I figure as soon as I find some brass, I will have to get a little more serious about getting the rifle! It is next on my list of wants. I would actually be just fine with one of the Browning made ones as well.

Those 250's would be fearsome in the elk woods. I have a BLR in 358 that is a very handy rifle, but it doesn't stop the want for the M71 at all.

Beretzs, I was eyeballing a beautiful browning high grade 71 on gunbroker. Starting bid on it is $1,299.00 and no one has bid on it yet. I don't know if that's one on your watch list, but it sure is a nice rifle with beautiful wood...
Beretzs, I was eyeballing a beautiful browning high grade 71 on gunbroker. Starting bid on it is $1,299.00 and no one has bid on it yet. I don't know if that's one on your watch list, but it sure is a nice rifle with beautiful wood...

Yup, I know which one you are talking about. Just finished eyeballing that one..

I also found this one too..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=362181280#PIC

Trying to get the wife to break, but it isn't successful yet..
No draw this year (again!) so it'll be a open combo hunt Muley/elk.

Possibly my 20" 700 in 9.3, but most likely the T3 SL in .308 with 155 Scenars and a Leupy 6x36. 47.0 grains Varget gives me a little under 3000 per.
I'll be hunting bulls next Friday Saturday Sunday with an Invasion CPX at 70lbs, and 125gr Shuttle-T Loks.

Yeeeeehaw!
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'll be hunting bulls next Friday Saturday Sunday with an Invasion CPX at 70lbs, and 125gr Shuttle-T Loks.

Yeeeeehaw!

Just make sure and leave the Busch at home, bro...

sick smile
Will start w/ a Schultz & Larsen M54 7x61 S&H w/ 175gr. Speer GS bullets(got a GREAT deal on 150 pcs.) Also have a Husqvarna M46 in 9.3 x 57 that I would like to give a run....and if all else fails the 'ol reliable Rem. m760 rebored from 270 to 35 Whelen will get another call. Any sort of 250 gr. bullet has worked well & this rifle is by far the most successful elk killer I've ever used!
Cheers
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by Tanner

Yeeeeehaw!

Just make sure and leave the Busch at home, bro...

sick smile

Why in the name of Jesus would I do that?

M700 8x57mm, 200 grain partitions, Nikon 3-9x
Originally Posted by Paulh

Very cool combo. That's an elk buster right there!
Originally Posted by Paulh

Very cool combo. That's an elk buster right there!

Thanks. Hopefully I can find the beasts this year.
I hope so too. That's a very cool rifle and deserves some field time.
Re-barreled and re-stocked M70. in 280AI. 160gr. Nosler Partition over 60grs of IMR7828. If I miss or some how screw up I'll need a better excuse than my rifle and load wasn't up to the task. Scope is a Leupold 3x10 with a custom turret.
Model 70 in 338-06. 250 partitions pushed by RL17. RL17 gives these a little extra boost. Just back from the range and sighting in. Scope is a 4x Conquest. At the end, broke 5 clay pigeons in a row at 200 yards...ready to go. Hopefully this rig accounts for a moose or bear before I head out of state for elk.
I'll be toting my Kimber 8400 Montana 325 wsm, loaded with 200 grain Accubonds, topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Cow elk are on tap. Son will be toting his recently earned Eagle Scout gift....a Browning A-Bolt II in 7mm-08 topped with a Burris FFII shooting 140 Accubonds. Back up is my Shillen barreled 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 160 Accubonds, topped with a Burris Signature.

I got this moderate sized bull in 2011 and a bit larger bull in 2012 with this #1 in STW and an old FF II 4-12x42 with a 160 Hornady btsp over 84 gr of H1000.

[Linked Image]

I have nearly depleted my supply of Hornadys, but I had a hundreed and fifty 160 gr Accubonds stashed. They shoot pretty well with the same powder charge. I think, this year, I will see if they bounce off elk hide at 400 yds.
Picked up a little accuracy and velocity switching from NBTs to NABs!

Following my NBT load, and refining. I fould peak accuracy from Accubonds just a shade hotter then the best I could ever get from NBTs.

4 different charge weights, 5 shots each. One from each test-lot then repeat the string. Cold barrel each test. 64.80 and 65.20 came in just under sub-zero MOA�

[Linked Image]

64.7 of H4831-sc was my go-2 elk load in 140s. 64.80 witb ABs did just fine.

[Linked Image]

65.20 grains of H4831-sc seemed a go?

[Linked Image]

So I loaded what I had left , right at 65.00 grqins, 3.455" fits the box and just off the lands. WLRM primers.

Think I found the old Savage's sweet-spot?

Wish I knew how fast, instead of guessing.
Guessing 3000' per-second leaves them just a little high at distance using published data.

Just going with high is good, I'm happy!
My 1980 Rem 700; 7 Mag with Leu 3x9. All gun and scope metal has been coated with non-reflective Teflon and the stock replaced with an H-S Precision -- ADL type. I load 160 grain Nosler Partitions.

My 2013 tag is Spike only -- I thought about taking my 6MM-06.
First I will be taking bowtech 70lb shootin Easton full metal jackets tipped with 100 grain slick trick. If I'm not successful during bow season I will be taking my 260 with 130 grain bergers, 338 win mag with 225 grain accubond or 7mm stw with 160 grain accubonds. Not sure which of the three I will take with.
Gonna finally get back to the woods after too long an absence. Colorado GMU 18, second rifle season. It will be my Husqvarna 146, 9.3 x 57; Leupold 3x; 270 grain Speers loaded with 48 grains of H4895. This load seems to work best.

I really need this hunt!!

Kaywoodie
I got lucky and drew two elk tags this year, one bull and one cow. If I can't get it done with a bow I'll be packing my 30 Newton with 7828 and 200 gr partitions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For the second tag I might try and get one with my Whitney rolling block in 40-65 with a 380gr cast bullet and 57 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 black powder.

[Linked Image]

At this moment prob be toting my Remmy 6.5-284,kimber 260, or Win 264. A 30" mule deer is my primary goal. But I'm an "any legal bull" kinda guy this year.

KW I hope you whack a good one.

Originally Posted by elkchsr
I got lucky and drew two elk tags this year, one bull and one cow. If I can't get it done with a bow I'll be packing my 30 Newton with 7828 and 200 gr partitions.

[Linked Image]

What a classy rifle!!!!!!!! Son is shooting those 200 grn partitions in his 300 H&H.

Good luck to you all!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For the second tag I might try and get one with my Whitney rolling block in 40-65 with a 380gr cast bullet and 57 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 black powder.

[Linked Image]

AWESOME combo! The Newton is just too cool!
Cow hunt in Nov here in NM. I'm taking my 1890 vintage Winchester 1886, 40-82 cal, 260 grain cast lead bullets pushed by 75 grains of Goex 2f, original Lyman Tang sight.

Thanks guys, the Newton is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I found another first model Newton that somebody had rebarreled to 30-06 last winter. I picked it up and it is being rebarreled to 256 Newton. I'm hoping it will be done in time to use it for chasing wolves this fall.

Thanks guys, the Newton is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I found another first model Newton that somebody had rebarreled to 30-06 last winter. I picked it up and it is being rebarreled to 256 Newton. I'm hoping it will be done in time to use it for chasing wolves this fall.

Very cool.. I have an old M70 Classic 338 Win Mag that is getting the 35 Newton treatment when I can get everything together. Scored a set of old RCBS dies already for it.. Can't wait.

Now, having an actual Newton, I believe my head would explode! Very cool. Congrats on both of them!
Elkchsr, The guys are right, that .30 Newton is just a super neat rifle.. Would like to see the .256 when it is finished..
Passed on a Newton in .30 cal. years ago in Cabela's in Sidney, Neb. Foolish move on my part..
Elkchsr, The guys are right, that .30 Newton is just a super neat rifle.. Would like to see the .256 when it is finished..
Passed on a Newton in .30 cal. years ago in Cabela's in Sidney, Neb. Foolish move on my part..
Originally Posted by Razz
Cow hunt in Nov here in NM. I'm taking my 1890 vintage Winchester 1886, 40-82 cal, 260 grain cast lead bullets pushed by 75 grains of Goex 2f, original Lyman Tang sight.

Razz that's sound like a winner! A sound proposal!!

I'm prolly gonna throw one of my Krags in as a backup.

[Linked Image]

The one above that ratty old model 12.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

+1. I really like the old rifles. I've put a few new (old original) parts on the rifle I plan on taking elk hunting this year:

[Linked Image]
Yeah, I think that rifle looks great buddy. Can't wait to hear how it shoots. Those old Winchester's are just awesome rifles..
I'll take my 7mm rem mag Whitworth action for back up. 26" pacnor stainless match. Just mounted a new VXIII old stock I had in the safe. 3.5x10x50. It mounted nice, first 2 shots at 25yrds where dead on without bore sighting. 100yrds it was 4" high 1" right. 4click left, 4 click down and first sight in was done. It will be shooting Sierra 175gr SPBT GK's at 2900fps. 63gr of RE22. 300yrd targets are next.
Originally Posted by baltz526
I'll take my 7mm rem mag Whitworth action for back up. 26" pacnor stainless match. Just mounted a new VXIII old stock I had in the safe. 3.5x10x50. It mounted nice, first 2 shots at 25yrds where dead on without bore sighting. 100yrds it was 4" high 1" right. 4click left, 4 click down and first sight in was done. It will be shooting Sierra 175gr SPBT GK's at 2900fps. 63gr of RE22. 300yrd targets are next.

Nice, that's another sure thing in elk country.
Originally Posted by baltz526

Nice, that's another sure thing in elk country.
It is my dry weather rig. Lot of deer, coyote, a couple bear, and Elk have been taken with it. If 24hr was picture friendly I would post up a couple.
Not a rifle, but I'm using an assault weapon:
Brown Bess smoothbore, 75 cal., patched round ball, no sights other than a bayonet lug, FFg. Might even bring the bayonet.
This year I will be using a Model 1387. Does anyone know what that is? Anyone every used one on elk before?
Is it an IPhone? Ha!
Is it an IPhone? Ha!

Now THERE is something I WON'T be carrying.

Bill
Ha! That is a close guess! It was my mouse. That is as close as I get this year. Next year, however, I will use my Sako tree-hunert wizzum in Wyoming.
21" Stainless Howa .308 bedded in a Bansner, 2.5x Leupold ultralight, and 150 ttsx handload @ 2825 fps.
Kampfeld 300 WBY, 180 grain NABs, and VX-3 4.5-14x40 with matching dial.
FN M70 Super Grade 25-06, Leupold FX3 6x42, Federal 115gr NP's...or if I dont get my rifle back in time a sling shot with 3/4 crush...
CZ 550 American in 6.5x55, Zeiss Conquest 3x9, hand load with Berger 140 grain hunting VLD. Backup - Remington 700 ADL(pre Freedom Group) .270, Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 using factory Remington 130 grain Core-Lokts.
700 bdl ss 7mm saum loaded with H-1000 and 150 gr. partitions.
Rem. 700 XCR in 270 WSM, topped with a Leupold VX-2 3x9x40 CDS, pushing Barnes 140grn. TSXs 3200fps over 69grns. of R-25. If I get lucky it'll be the first blood for this (new to me) rig.
More than likely, this year will be 162 grain AMax's out of a 7Shamwow. Rifle is a SS Mdl Seven with an edge stock and a M1 turreted 2.5-8x36 VX3.

Second place will probably be a Mdl 99 Savage in 250-3000 with 100 grain speers.

Hello, My name is eagelbuilder2, I used to disassembly and assembly Derest Eagles and baby eagles for plating. I am was lucky enough to get a California elk tag after about 9 YEARS of trying. I have plans of bring a Mauser 98 with burris scope in 8MM AI. This area is in the condor area and I have use non-lead bullets. I use Barnes TSX 180 gr. bullets with H414 powder.
My next elk hunt will be with my Gene Simillion pre 64 model 70 338 wm 250 grain TSX bullets
Load particulars written down
Leopold 2.5-8
Rifle shoots
eb2, welcome and best of luck on your hunt...
A proven combination: 98 Mauser in 7x57, Leupold scope, and a handload consisting of Nosler's 150 partition with enough IMR-4350 for 2700 fps.
444 marlin 300 sierra 2150 fps with H335. Leupy scope. Shoots great.

3 shots here.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dan360
Winchester M70 Featherweight, 7x57 Mauser, Leupold VX2 3-9x40, 160gr Nosler Partition on 45gr of RL17 w/CCI 200s and Winchester brass.

After your recent post about how versatile the 300 Win is, how the larger frontal area helps, weight/velocity... you're not taking it elk hunting?
Tikka t3 stainless 30/06, 180 gr Barnes TSX , vortex diamondback 4-12 bdc
Ill throw this in for the hell of it. Binocs, Nikon monarch 10x42
Back up gun. T/C venture 270 with 130 gr TTSX, Nikon 3-9
Win 70 SS Classic in 300Win mag, McMillan Supergrade stock, 4.5-14x40 Leupold with custom shop reticle spaced for 200gn TSX @ 2950fps. It just works

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by horse1
Win 70 SS Classic in 300Win mag, McMillan Supergrade stock, 4.5-14x40 Leupold with custom shop reticle spaced for 200gn TSX @ 2950fps. It just works

[Linked Image]

Nice Set up! How far was that shot taken at?
One of two or three.

Most likely; A M-70 Classic SS,.338 Win Mag, 2.5-8x36 Leupold, Warne QR Premier mounts with the built in peep and a gold bead front.

Barrel was shortened to 23" for a muzzle brake I only used once. I do like the shorter barrel. In a McMillan AHR stock.

Load will be Federal High Energy 225gr TBBC's.

Possible second choice; A Kimber 84L Montana, 2.5-8x36 Leupold, Warne Weaver style QR bases and rings. It has iron sights on a rear island mount and I have a NECG peep for it.

Barrel was shortened to 22", which I prefer. Load will be
Federal High Energy 180gr TBBC's. I bought these long ago for a different rifle but it shoots them very well. I prefer the TBBC's to any other bullet I have used.

My third choice; M-70 Classic FW All-Terrain, .30-06, 2.5-8x36 Leupold. Iron sights, XS Sights add-on peep under the recoil pad for backup. Bedded in the original stock with Steel Bed.

Load will be 180 gr NP, CCI 200, 57 gr H-4350 in RP cases.
Wow, that is a super bunch of rifles! Awesome set up's on all of them!

[Linked Image]

~275yds. Longest kill on an elk with that set up was right at 400yds.

[Linked Image]

~275yds. Longest kill on an elk with that set up was right at 400yds.

Nice! Great shooting..
same one I used last time..30-06 and 165 Partition. Have Elk gotten tougher since 1982 or do we have more choices now?
Our group drew spike only tags for the first season in the Ukiah unit in Eastern Oregon.

I will be using my veteran Remington BDL in 7mm Remington Magnum with a Leupold 2 1/2 to 8 Variable Power scope. I still have a supply of H-870 and will be using a hefty load of that behind a Nosler 175 Gr. Partition. Chronos at 2920 fps. For a back-up a Marlin 1895 SS with an old El Paso Weaver 2 1/2 power steel tube
scope with 425 gr cast and 46 gr. H-322.

My Son-in-Law will be shooting my sporterized 1903 Springfield which has accounted for the most elk over the years in our party. Load=180 gr. Nosler Partition in front of 60 gr. H-4831.

Happy Hunting!
Good luck roundup (must be from Pendleton).. Shoot some good spikes!!!
We'll do well (hopefully)
Two of the following three rifles will go to Colorado with me in November: Montana in 7 WSM shooting 145 TTSX; Model 70 7 RM with 160 Accubonds; CZ 550 FS 9.3x62 with 250 Accubonds. More shooting to do to see which two go. I haven't killed any critters with the 9.3 yet, so it'll probably make the cut.

Mike
Man, that's another cool bunch of rifles too.. Man, talk about getting pumped, and all I have is a spike tag!
I'll be carrying a few different rifles :
a custom built sako 7mm-300wby shooting 160gr accubonds

A rem 700 stainless sps 300wsm with a 3.5-10x40 vx3 cds with custom dial for 180gr accubonds

Stainless t3 270win shooting 130gr accubonds with a 4.5-14x40 vx3 CDs with custom dial

Or a stainless featherweight 270 win with a 3-9x40 sightron (temporary) with a to-be-determined load.
Originally Posted by Benben
Two of the following three rifles will go to Colorado with me in November: Montana in 7 WSM shooting 145 TTSX; Model 70 7 RM with 160 Accubonds; CZ 550 FS 9.3x62 with 250 Accubonds. More shooting to do to see which two go. I haven't killed any critters with the 9.3 yet, so it'll probably make the cut.

Mike

9.3's work good on elk. I used mine last year on a cow:

[Linked Image]

Mine loves 286 gr. nosler partitons though:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Won't be going this year but the answer is the same. Short of one bull taken with the Whelen, my 338-06 has and will get the nod.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I carried a 550 American 7-8 years ago on a Black Hills hunt, but wasn't successful. The FS is new to me.
Originally Posted by Benben
I carried a 550 American 7-8 years ago on a Black Hills hunt, but wasn't successful. The FS is new to me.

I love my 550 American, but one of these days I'm going to install a win model 70 3 position style safety on it..
I traded the American a few years ago, then found the FS earlier this year. It's lighter than the American and has the hog back type butt. Shooting from the bench is kicking my ass. Right now the 2 7mms are in the lead.

I know I need to get off the bench, but I'm trying to get the load dialed in. It is not fun. I think my recoil tolerance has diminished as I reach my mid 40's. I may list it later this week!
After reviewing my ammo inventory and the limited time i'll have to reload before elk season, it is looking more and more like the .338WM on the left. Lots of 225g Hornady SSTs for practice and 225g Nosler AccuBonds for the real work.

[Linked Image]

Worked on the trigger on both the .338 (left) and .30-06 (right) to reduce pull weight and creep. All three now excellent.
Awesome CH!! Those ruger triggers can be nicely tuned. I always have 100 rounds loaded up for my 338 win mag: It's always ready to go elk hunting. Good luck with your hunting this year...
I have a few rifles sighted-in now and may use any of them. Will either be hunting spikes or brow-tined bullets, depending on which side of the valley I hunt. Which rifle will depend on my mood and the terrain:

NULA .257 Weatherby, 120 Nosler Partitions @3300
Sauer 16x16/6.5x57R drilling, 120 Sierra ProHunters @2700
Serengeti 7x57, 156 Norma Oryx @2700
Weatherby ULW 7mm Wby. Magnum, 160 Partition @3200
Ruger No. 3 .30-40 Krag, 180 Interlocks @2450
Merkel single-shot .308 Win., 150 AccuBonds @2850
Husqvarna SR Mauser .30-06, 180 Partitions @2750
Pre-'64 Win. M70 .300 H&H, 180 Ballistic Tips @3000
Heym .300 Win. Magnum, 165 Interlocks @3150
CZ 550 9.3x62, 250 TSX @2650

Weathery 5 ultralight 300 roy running a 165tsx @3325

+1. I really like the old rifles. I've put a few new (old original) parts on the rifle I plan on taking elk hunting this year:

[Linked Image]

Very nice!
© 24hourcampfire