Home
Posted By: PaulDaisy Cow down - 09/04/13
First time I hunted this early in the year. The weather was very nice for late summer, although a bit hot for my liking: 49F at night, 72F during the day. Nice and overcast in the afternoon.
We hunted a small 1/2 sq mile parcel that happened to hold a few resident elk. On the opening morning we kicked up about 7, one four-by or so young bull and some cows, on top of the shelf lined up with sparse sagebrush openings in 8 inch aspens.
The shooting would be good for a crack shot, which I am not. So i waited and pranced until one cow lined up on top of a sagebrush opening, where I had a good broadside shot at her. She dropped on the shot like a brick. Hit her in the neck, zero meat damage, first time for me.
We had two cow tags, and I could have shot another right there but I wanted my partner to get one. By the time he lined up they moved and shooting was very hard. He had a chance at a head shot, then a Texas heart shot; wisely passed on both (IMO).
We were done with the butchering by 10 AM and got her down to the truck by 1 PM; carried an 80 lb pack down, and a shoulder and bags with organs and premium cuts in hands and small pack. Got ice for the meat cooler and fished that afternoon. BTW, I waffled after having bought a Coleman 150 qt cooler on how useful would it be. Proven to be indispensable! Held all the meat from 2 yr old cow. Was impossible to lift for one, two of us did it and the handles held up! I am deeply impressed. Well worth the $70 it cost.
The next day a large black bear was on the carcass, I have a video a short while after he got off of it. He walked up to 45 yards to us and would have been closer but we decided to walk sideways not to freak him out into charging us.
We hunted one more day, and again only had a chance at a head shot. Ended up going home with one cow for the two of us. Cut it up yesterday, took us 7 hours for two people, and still have shoulders left for tonight. Nice day of post hunting!
This was the first ever elk hunt for my partner. He held up great, even a seasoned hunter couldn't have done much better. His famous quote of the season is:
"Any time I thought the hardest part was done, I was proven wrong".
Posted By: smokepole Re: Cow down - 09/04/13
What kind of tag and where were you hunting to be able to use a rifle this early in the year?
Posted By: PaulDaisy Re: Cow down - 09/04/13
It was a ranching for wildlife rifle tag, rifle, in North Park. Cost me a point but I don't care, I am not saving up for a "bull of my dreams".
It was fun to be out with a filled rifle tag buying ice, with all the archery hunters just starting out wink
Posted By: kawi Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
Con gat! And thanks for the good reading.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
Good deal, I hear ya on buying ice, that is always fun when it's for an animal.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
Congrats!
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
Congrats on the elk. The RFW hunts make it possible to hunt some great country that would otherwise be unavailable.
Posted By: PaulDaisy Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
A few pictures:
Cow is down. Perfect size 2 year old, not too chewy and not too small:
[Linked Image]
Camp site:
[Linked Image]
Fishing after the hunt:
[Linked Image]
Bear, after visiting my kill:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Deacon76 Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
Love the pics
Posted By: Billy_Goat Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
great story!

successful elk hunt
bear
trout
new hunter participating

what is this story missing? not much.

well done!
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
I like that.

Nice hunt and pictures. Congratulations on the elk.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Cow down - 09/05/13
Congrats on a fine hunt and a freezer full of goodness!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Cow down - 09/06/13
You let the bear walk? Season not open or no tag?
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Cow down - 09/06/13
Outstanding! great pics..
Posted By: drycreek Re: Cow down - 09/06/13
Congrats on the hunt and the meat.
Posted By: PaulDaisy Re: Cow down - 09/06/13
Thanks to all! It was a nice hunt, even if we didn't fill the second tag.

Originally Posted by AB2506
You let the bear walk? Season not open or no tag?

We had no bear tag, and I am not that interested in shooting a bear. I don't need a rug, and elk meat is better I think.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Cow down - 09/07/13
Congratulations.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Cow down - 09/08/13
Great hunt and nice pics.
Posted By: Huntinut Re: Cow down - 09/08/13
Well done Sir!
© 24hourcampfire