Home
Posted By: drahthaar Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
On Saturday I planned a good overnighter with some hunting buddies into the southfork, but they couldn't leave until late afternoon. So in the morning I decided I would head up to do a quick elk hunt in a honey hole above my home, just to sit for a while and call, just to see if I could be packing meat instead of sleeping out with the grizzlies in the southfork. It was just getting light when I started up my trail, I didn't need a headlamp, as I could make out the ground pretty well. I could hear ravens a short way off, making kind of "wake up" sounds high in a tree. My first thought was they were sitting above a carcass of some sort, waiting for more daylight to feel safe enough to fly down and peck away. Second thought, oh man, some hunter whacked my bull yesterday and they are cleaning up whats left. I wasn't an eighth of a mile into my hike when off the left side of the trail in some very thick brush I heard a light growl. I instantly thought it was a bear, just letting me know he was there and I should leave. I bent over to look under some limbs and in a perfectly framed window of branches I could see a lion. Ears flattened out, growling, very upset, 25 yards ahead. What followed, took just seconds, but felt like minutes.

My first thought, oh crap, she's ticked, second thought, I got a tag for that! I immediately backed down the trail to hopefully calm the big cat, and started getting an arrow out of my quiver. She is having none of it, slinks out of the timber onto the trail in plain view, then quickly cuts the distance in half. I am now shaking like a dog crapping tacs, trying to knock this arrow. Do you know how hard that is to do with that kind of adrenaline coursing through your veins? I get it knocked, hook my release on the loop, draw way to quick and hard, causing my arrow to bounce off my drop-away rest. Oh Lord... by some miracle, I willed it back onto the rest, centered the pin right under her chin, and touched it off. Thank God she slowed into a crouch at 12 yards. If she had kept coming at that original pace, she and I were fighting hand to claw.

The arrow hit her in the brisket with a very loud smack. She recoiled, and turned up the trail, and bounded off the right of the trail, making the loudest crashing noises, rivaling ANY bull I have ever killed. It seemed like an eternity of crashing sounds in the woods, then in an instant, the forest fell silent. I am just standing there, basically in shock and awe. It's always surreal seeing a mountain lion in the woods, more so, to me, than ANY OTHER species of critter I have laid eyes on in the forest. Then in another instant, the silence is interrupted by another broken growling sound. I know now, or at least believed she just expired. I took note of where the sound came from, broke all the rules of bowhunting, and headed straight in toward the sound. Mind you, this is the thickest crap you could imagine searching for a downed animal. I got in about 80-100 yards, into a small clearing, came to my senses and realized I am not going to find this lion like this, and what if she isn't dead, what if I didn't make a good hit, and now she is sitting within one leap of me, planning my demise. I call my wife and tell her what just happened, then call my very good friend that lives nearby, and ask him if he has a little time to help me find this thing. While he is on his way, I go back to the beginning, like a good bowhunter, looking for an arrow at the point of impact. Nope. Then look for some blood, yep, but not much. Back up the trail, then off into the woods, just as I remember. Very little blood, but just enough to keep the track. I got to a point of losing any sign of blood, and decided to wait for Mike to show. I was sitting there wishing I had my drahthaar with me, she could find this thing in a blink. I hear Mike over on the trail and whistle him over. Within minutes we are both like a couple hounds searching, nearly on hands and knees for blood. �Got blood,� he says, then a little more and a little more, right back into the original clearing I walked to. He looks up, and says, �Is that a lion?� Yep, there she is, under a small clump of piss fir, not 20 feet from where I was earlier.
Together, we carry her back to the trail and onto the waiting game cart he brought up. Easy run back down the hill, and into the trunk of a Honda civic?�.oops.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DeerTracker Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
That is awesome! Congrats!
Posted By: MattMan Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
CONGRATS!

Have you considered the possibility that she may have been rabid?

I'd have certainly treated the carcass as such until proven otherwise.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Two years in a row for you?

Cool!
Posted By: laker Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
That's awesome. I would have had to clean my shorts if that had happened to me.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Bow kill in a high stress situation... Very impressive!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Good story!!!! Congrats!!!!
My story would have stopped with the low growl, and the proceeding noise would have been my boots hitting the trail in the opposite direction. If I ever get chance to play cards with you, I'm out.

Very cool and big congrats.

MM
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Two years in a row for you?

Cool!

Yes. Last year I called one in, nearly in the very same spot, with a primos can. I blasted that one with a .325 though.
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
My story would have stopped with the low growl, and the proceeding noise would have been my boots hitting the trail in the opposite direction. If I ever get chance to play cards with you, I'm out.

Very cool and big congrats.

MM

Laffin! Nah, you would do exactly what I did, try to figure out exactly what it was. There are just sooooo many predators in these NW MT woods, you just have to always have it the back of your mind you are gonna run into one, almost every time out.
I still went and slept out last night with my buddies. I did jerk awake once when I heard another growl, but it was just my friend snoring in his bag laying in the bear grass! So it definitely affected me a bit.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
I'd have to be thinking hard about carrying some manner of backup. Does MT allow for that? Here in ND things were amended ~3yrs ago to allow for carrying a handgun while bowhunting.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Damn! Way cool.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Great story. Great shot under pressure!
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Pretty crazy story. I bet she wishes she didn't mess with you.
Posted By: claybreaker Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
DANG !! I would have been shaking in my boots.... hoping only afterwards.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Big. Well fed, but obviously stalking you. Go figure...

That will be a hunt to remember!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Damn that must have been exciting..........congrats!
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Best bowhunting story I've heard in a long time! Very cool!!
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Cool under pressure. Great kill!!
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Wow, what a cool story. Glad to hear you came out ok and found the cat.

Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Excellent story!! Really a nice looking cat - congrats on a heck of a trophy!!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Creeps me out walking in to spots in the dark up in cat country. This story isn't helping me. Nice looking cat, on my bucket list.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
From the sound of it, the cat may have had a kill or something nearby. The birds making all that racket suggests that there may have been something she thought she was defending.

Nice shot too.
Posted By: KC Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13

What an experience! Thanks for sharing.

KC

Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Congrats..........and great shot under pressure!

Kurt
Posted By: EricM Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Glad you made it out okay! That's a story you'll remember for a very long time!

Eric
Posted By: wageslave Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Wow. Outstanding.
Posted By: Billy_Goat Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
a couple thoughts here:

1. awesome story and pics. very well written documented.
2. I experienced "full pucker" while reading this
3. if you ever meet her, please dont share this story with my wife. I Really like spending time in the mountains. if she heard this, she'd be far less enthusiastic about me hunting the great wapiti.
4. attaboy for your response under pressure. you da man!
5. good luck filling that elk tag in the coming days!
Dude, that is a toad cat taken the hard way ... congrats.
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Did you go back and look for a kill she may have been protecting?
Did you weigh the cat, how old?
Better go buy a lotto ticket. grin
Posted By: SLM Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/16/13
Great story...Congrats
Posted By: roundoak Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
'Cool as a cucumber'. That is awesome. What a story.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
Sweet
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
Thanks everyone. I actually think the big cat was stalking a nearby elk. At the time of the shot and her crashing up the hill then over and down, I distinctly heard a heavy hooved animal crashing up the hill. That was a small detail I left out. I think she was hunting and I interrupted her! The ravens just disappeared out of the area, so I don't think there was a carcass around.
Posted By: RNF Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
That's a great story, a hunt you will remember.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
Cougar tacos is my preferred method of cougar consumption. But Stew is pretty good also. Great story.
Posted By: Diyelker Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by 30338
Creeps me out walking in to spots in the dark up in cat country. This story isn't helping me. Nice looking cat, on my bucket list.

+1

The slyness of a cat creeps me out.
Posted By: tipmover Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
Congrats!

A cat with hounds is one thing, but eyeball to eyeball especially with a bow is even better!

Posted By: PaulDaisy Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/17/13
I don't think I could hold a rifle steady enough, let alone nock an arrow. If I ever met you I'd let you hunt and just go cut the meat.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Great hunt...a lion would be a great trophy.
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I don't think I could hold a rifle steady enough, let alone nock an arrow. If I ever met you I'd let you hunt and just go cut the meat.

LOL. That is funny. I am no different than anyone on here, just love to be in the woods and see what happens.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
WOW!!!
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Do you carry a sidearm? If not in the past, are you going to start???
Posted By: LoneWati Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Great story and better ending. I would love to call one in and may bug you when the time comes. I had the same kinda thing happen to me in Southern Colorado as me and my hunting partner were walking up a trail. Decided to walk back 300 or so yards and wait for sunset and work back down. We were both just sitting there and I told him I was going to go check this opening behind us for some sign. I didn't get 30 feet when a flash came out of the brush and stopped crouched down 20 feet in front of me. I was already at shooting position and it was a stare down for 6-7 seconds. You are right, it seemed like a minute or two. I guess I finally coerced the cat to move on. I must not of looked too appealing! That damn cat probably was following us up and back and I surprised it. Wish I had a tag in hand!!! Great job!
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
I don't carry a sidearm, just bear spray. I have carried many a pistol into the woods over the years and just grew to hate them. Never found a comfortable way to carry one that I could actually pull in a hurry. They wreck my shoulders, or get pulled out going through the brush. Finally just gave up about 4 or 5 years ago. Probably couldn't hit crap with it anyway.
Posted By: raybass Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
drahtharr, that was a damn good story and an awesome kill. You did well sir. I can't imagine the rush of adrenaline in a situation like that would do to my shooting. You coped and came out on top. Predators we are!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by LoneWati
I must not of looked too appealing

Yeah,I can believe that. He puked a little in his mouth, when his eyes met yours......grin
Posted By: Waders Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by drahthaar
She is having none of it, slinks out of the timber onto the trail in plain view, then quickly cuts the distance in half.

+1 on all the other compliments that have been offered, plus kudos on your superior bladder control! You were cool like the other side of the pillow!!

Hope you're posting elk pics soon!
Posted By: SKane Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
You've got some serious stones, my friend. grin
Well done! And, thanks you for sharing.
Posted By: stew Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Curious if you gutted her and if she was full. She sure is a fat in good looking shape cat. Would think either full or possible pregnant.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/18/13
Great experience handled superbly and told in a riveting story. Good for you!

FWIW in minor corroboration, I have had a lion growl at me twice, both times as I approached to pick up my remote call and decoy when I was quitting a calling stand. In each case I did not know that the cougar had approached. My guess is that it was expressing annoyance at having a man interrupt its stalk and take its prey (decoy) away from it. Despite my best efforts, I didn't see either cat in dusk and brush.

You did well!

That's a bit of pucker factor right there!
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Well played sir.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Great write of an obviously awesome experience. And an equally great picture....look at those cat forearms and biceps!
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Great Story!

Thanks for sharing.

I would have been dropping that pointy stick thing and clawing for the 41 mag on my hip had been in your shoes.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Thats awesome...
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Great exciting story. I felt the pucker factor as well. Well told and great picture. You stepped up when the time came. Good on ya.
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Originally Posted by stew
Curious if you gutted her and if she was full. She sure is a fat in good looking shape cat. Would think either full or possible pregnant.

Did not gut her, just skinned her off.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/19/13
Awesome..Damn cats can give you the creeps. The sneaky buggers dont let you see them very often, and when they do you gotta wonder WTF they got in mind for you..Glad you didnt let it get that far, nice shootin!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/20/13
Nice cat. Great story.
Posted By: pointer Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/24/13
WOW! That's a story to pass down. Well done!

PS- I still don't see a Cards hat though! wink
Posted By: efw Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/27/13
Dewd shock & awe indeed! You're the man! That is an incredible story!

I can't imagine that scenerio. To me its one thing to be out hunting for a lion and find one,come face-to-face with one, and kill it. It is another thing altogether to be after a harmless bovid and run across one ready to go at you like that. A jarring shift in gears and I am impressed that you were able to pull it off! Nice work!

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Efw
Posted By: N2MyWake Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/27/13
That is crazy! Congrats!
Posted By: waterbug Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 09/29/13
Great story - congratulations on the big cat!
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/01/13
Awesome story, and great cat. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/02/13
SWEETTTT!!!!!, nice cat.

Gunner
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/02/13
That would be a good story with a gun, let alone a bow. Congrats.
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/04/13
I actually got called by a reporter from the Great Falls Tribune. LOL.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/04/13

You da man !!!

did you only kill one lion...?

crazy
Posted By: LKEYES Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by drahthaar
I actually got called by a reporter from the Great Falls Tribune. LOL.

Gotta love the local papers around here.
Congrats on a great archery trophy
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Elk hunt interrupted - 10/05/13
Awesome adventure and one of the best stories I have read on this site. Nicely written.
© 24hourcampfire