Home
Posted By: buffybr My opening day Montana bull - 10/28/13
Saturday was the opening for the general rifle season for deer and elk in Montana.

Just after sunrise I spotted a lone bull elk feeding across the hillside that I was hunting. Unfortunately, he was on private land that I didn't have permission to hunt, but he was headed in my direction.

When he entered a patch of timber, I started up the hill, hoping to be in position when he came out of the timber and off the private land. Again, unfortunately, he came out of the timber before I was in position, and after a few long seconds of him staring at me, he turned and disappeared back into the timber.

Because he went back into the private land I didn't pursue him so I left the area and planned to come back in the evening, hoping he would again feed out of the private land.

I returned late in the afternoon, and luckily just as the sun was setting, I saw him feeding across an open area on the hill above me. Evidently during the day, he had gone around the back side of the hill, and now he was feeding back toward the private land.

I kept a couple of fir trees between me and the bull, and I crept up to the second tree which was about 150 yds from the bull.

I used a branch as a rest and steadied the crosshairs of my .300 Weatherby on his chest. As I slowly pressed the trigger, the .300 barked, and a 168 gr Barnes TTSX bullet dropped the bull in his tracks.

By the time I climbed up to him and dressed him out it was dark, I propped him open to cool and tied my shirt on his antler to deter any predators during the night.

I was back up the mountain at first light the next morning, and my bull was undisturbed except for a few magpies.

With the self-timer and remote control for my camera, I was able to get some pictures, before the work of getting him off the hill began.

I had brought a thick sheet of plastic that is made for dragging game animals up the hill with me. Even with the plastic, the whole bull was too heavy for me to drag by myself, so I had to cut him in half and was then able to get him down to my truck in two trips.

Not the biggest bull in the woods, but since I have two large bulls mounted in my trophy room, this one will nicely fill my freezer.

[Linked Image]
Nice bull Kurt....beautiful companion as well!
Mmmmmmmm, elk meat!!! He should be fine eating this winter. Congrats!

Very nice Buffy.
Posted By: efw Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/28/13
Nice bull, good story, and beautiful companion!

Thanks for sharing.
How do you load 1/2 a bull in a truck by yourself?
I once loaded a whole bull with the help of a 70 yr old man.
Just wondering...
Congratulations!
Great bull...your dog looks pleased to be part of the action. Hard to find a better companion than that.
Nice bull. All down hill to the truck. Bob
good job
Very nice!
Posted By: GSP814 Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Congrats, I'd shoot that bull any day of the week, nice dog!
Congrats on a nice bull.
Nice bull!
That's a fine bull in my book.. Great pic, too.
Posted By: SLM Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Congrats..
Good looking bull, congrats to you...I just put the last of my colorado bull in the freezer last night, a fine sight to see.
Good report-Thanks. Enjoy the meat!
Posted By: LKEYES Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
Just wondering...

Very carefully, when you use your gooseneck ball and a good rope

Congrats on a good bull that will eat way better then those big horns will ever taste.
Posted By: TDN Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Great bull - nice work on the photo too!
Good job. Love your Golden. Golden fan here. Congratulations on your bull!
Congrats on the bull. Lots of meat there. Nice pic too!
Really a great picture and a fine bull - congrats to you!
Nice bull,..GREAT picture.

For sure.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Nice picture and congrats on the elk.

Congratulations, that's a very nice bull elk.

I would shoot him real quick.
Posted By: Scotty Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Congratulations on the nice bull.
B,

Congrats on a nice bull. But more importantly, congrats on doing it all including the haul out.....all by yourself. Doesn't that give you immense personal satisfaction?
Congratulations on a fine hunt, a fine bull elk, and a fine companion to help you with your elk.

L.W.
Congrats on a fine bull. Its fun when a plan works out.
Congrats on a good bull. GREAT self timed pic!!
Posted By: Huntr Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/29/13
Congrats on a fine hunt!
Congrat on a successful hunt.
Thanks for the comments, guys. Like Buffy did before her, Zoe goes just about everywhere with me. She's not a lot of help, but she's a good companion.

scnearshooter, Hi Pat, I haven't seen you post on here for a while.

Originally Posted by Ravenr2
Just wondering...

I won't hit the big 70 for a couple more years, but I still get around good and am somewhat ingenious, like using a come-along and a plywood ramp. I've even loaded a couple of dead horses into my truck by myself that way.

Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
...congrats on doing it all including the haul out.....all by yourself. Doesn't that give you immense personal satisfaction?

That wasn't the first elk (or moose) that I've done all by myself, including the haul out. Yes, I felt that personal satisfaction after I got him home and hung in my shed, and I really felt like taking an Advil and a nap, but instead I took a shower and went into town and played 9 holes of golf. laugh

Yep I understand, just out think the problem.
I loaded a 320 bull whole with a tree and 20' of spinning chain and a halter.
Congrats on the bull, gets easier after doing it all these yrs.

Pic's man; pic's!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/31/13
Congrats!
Very nice ! E
Posted By: BigFin Re: My opening day Montana bull - 10/31/13
Congrats, Kurt. Very happy for you. Opening day was more like fishing weather, but if the bulls were accommodating, all the better.
Posted By: Fotis Re: My opening day Montana bull - 11/01/13
Very nice
Posted By: MOG Re: My opening day Montana bull - 11/01/13
Great bull and great pic, well done.

Mog
One in the freezer beats the big one that got away (or forgot to show up).
Posted By: SKane Re: My opening day Montana bull - 11/01/13
Very nice!
Awesome! He's a beauty.
Posted By: uinta Re: My opening day Montana bull - 11/02/13
Jealous.
Well done. Congrats.
© 24hourcampfire