Home
I picked up a Kimber Montana in 280ai and would like to use it for an upcoming Elk hunt.
I would like some advise from you vetern elk hunters on bullet selection.
I have hunted elk a couple times. The first with a 300 ultra mag with a 180 gr swift bullet at 200 yards on a 5x5 and the second 300wsm with a 180 gr Accubond at 40 yards on a 6x6.

I have always had good luck with Nosler bullets so would you choose 160 partition or accubond or the 140 accubond.

Powder on hand is H4350.

What do you think?
150 TTSX, 160 Partiton or Accubond would be my picks in a 280 AI. Use what the rifle shoots best.
Originally Posted by TakeEm
150 TTSX, 160 Partiton or Accubond would be my picks in a 280 AI. Use what the rifle shoots best.

Stay with the heavyweight bullets then. The local F&F had some 160 partitions for 36 a box. They did not have 160 accubonds
I've used a 175 partition and 154 interbond in a 7rm and 7stw with success. I'm dialing in 175 long range accubonds for both right now.
Something in a 140. Mine loves the TSX's and Berger VLD's. Game has been going down nicely with these.
My top pick would be a 150 TTSX, after that a partition or accubond, but your rifle may very well choose for you.
Nosler's 160 grains Partition bullet works just fine on elk in my .280 Remington. Ought to work well in your .280 AI, too.

L.W.

I would go with 150 grain Nosler B/T, This is a great bullet. It will work just fine in a 280-AI. I have used it in a 7MM Rem. Mag. with good results.
I know there are other bullets to use. Just make your self happy.

Any of the tougher 140s-160s will do. But if you can get a slower powder it will probably do better esp. with the 150 grain and above bullets. R22 and VV165 are stand outs in the 280AI.

These have worked so well I never got around to trying the less temperature sensitive powders, but H4831 is never a bad choice and I would look at Ramshot Magnum and H7828ssc too.

I have had good luck with the 160 Partition, in the 7mm's and the 180 Partitions in the 300's. I have 50 years of experience with the Partitions. I know that they work.
I used 150 Nbt's and 160 accubonds but have switched to 150 Barnes ttsx and they have been quite a bit more effective when bones are encountered and just as good on other shots. I'm lucky my 7 RM shoots them just like the ballistic tips. Still prefer the NBT for deer but I had one blow up on an elk rib and cause a 600 yard tracking job.
Originally Posted by specneeds
I used 150 Nbt's and 160 accubonds but have switched to 150 Barnes ttsx and they have been quite a bit more effective when bones are encountered and just as good on other shots. I'm lucky my 7 RM shoots them just like the ballistic tips. Still prefer the NBT for deer but I had one blow up on an elk rib and cause a 600 yard tracking job.

They had a couple boxes of the 150 ttsx about the same price as the NP. The Barnes loading manual does not list the 280ai.

Tracking is something I would rather avoid as I am color blind and have a very difficult time finding or following blood trails.
I think it makes you more aware of shot placement and stalking hunting skills.
168 TSX & H4831. Super easy load work-up and I've killed 4 elk with this combo now - none have made it more than 50 yds.
I picked up an 8 pound jug of H4350 I was hoping to use in this cal but it seems I should use a slower powder with a 160 grain bullet
go to shootersproshop and buy some of their loaded ammo with the 150 lr accubond 42.00 a box

or get some of their overrun 150 grain partitions 20.00 a box
Nosler Partition 160 gr with Hod 4831
I have the same gun - Kimber Montana 280ai. I use 160gr AB with VV165 powder.

I killed a spike elk this year at 336 yards with this load. His legs folded at the shot and he rolled down the hill (unfortunately) dead.

The load is 1.25 inch in my gun. I'm going to mess with the mag box to see if I can tighten the groups (per the thread in Hunting Rifles). If not, I might try the long range accubonds in 150 gr.
I haven't heard a bad choice yet. Let your rifle tell you (accuracy) what it wants and rock on.

Dave
I use 140g AccuBond and TTSX in my .280 Rem. If I was going wiht 160's I'd probably run the AccuBonds for the higher BC (.531 vs .474), assuming they shoot well. But any should work.
I'm using 160gr AB in my 280AI on a bull elk tag.
How about you have a bullet weight in mind and you need a caliber?
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Definitely a different approach. I read about a few people here hunting elk with some itty bitty bullets so I'm confident a well constructed bullet from my 280ai whether 140-150-160 will do the job.

I am more of a 30 cal guy using a flavor of one for most of my hunting. I took a Kimber 30-06 with a NP at a little under 2800 fps to Africa this past August where it preformed perfectly. That rifle combo will also go with me also.

What I'm trying to find out is what people are having good luck with. Minimal tracking unless the blood trail is real obvious(the color blind thing). How far the animal traveled after being shoot. Maybe how far the shoot was.

I would really NOT want to lose an elk(or any other animal).

A better way to buy a rifle these days is to buy one in which you can find bullets for regardless of bullet weight or caliber.

I have a new to me Kimber Montana in 260 and can't find bullets or brass for the thing.
Maybe it's just me, but if I had a rifle already I would not find that particularly useful or relevant.
Posted By: IDK Re: Gotta 280AI and need a bullet - 01/26/14
I say go with either the 168 or 175 gr long range accubonds, they group equally well with R22 and H7828sc. My mag box on my Cooper does not allow me to seat the bullet anywhere close to the lands, but I still get 1/2" groups.....but it took me a while to find the best load.
175 gr Partitions and IMR-7828.

Gunner
Posted By: krp Re: Gotta 280AI and need a bullet - 01/26/14
Originally Posted by hunterjrg

Definitely a different approach. I read about a few people here hunting elk with some itty bitty bullets so I'm confident a well constructed bullet from my 280ai whether 140-150-160 will do the job.

Just this year, two 'large' cows were shot with my 708 and 120gr NBT, a spike with my buddy's 270wsm 129gr LRX, a young cow my old 338 with 225gr TTSX... none went anywhere and the only bullet recovered was the 225gr... shows you things aren't always according to hoyle... but killing isn't that hard.

My choices in the 7mm bullets are 120 NBT/TXS, 139 hndy IL, 140 barnes.

[Linked Image]

Im using 140gr Barnes TTSX'S in my 280ai with IMR 4350.
2 Elk and 2 Oryx have hated the combo to date.
Shoots itty bitty groups at around 3150 fps.
I run the 160 AB in mine with Ramshot Magnum...and the 150 LRAB with H4831SC.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Im using 140gr Barnes TTSX'S in my 280ai with IMR 4350.
2 Elk and 2 Oryx have hated the combo to date.
Shoots itty bitty groups at around 3150 fps.

Good speed. What rifle and barrel?
Originally Posted by Aviator
I run the 160 AB in mine with Ramshot Magnum...and the 150 LRAB with H4831SC.

I have been liking the Ramshot powders but finding that stuff here has been nearly impossible.
You might have to break down and order Ramshot powder..I usually just keep my eye open for it when I'm out and about and when I see it I buy several pounds..
Shot this Friday!
Custom.
[Linked Image]
Nice gemsbok. New Mexico?
yeah. wsmr, broken horn hunt.
From personal experience one can also add the 162 Hornady btsp to the list. I have been very impressed with it at impact velocity of 2600 fps.

I now have a bunch of 160 AB loaded for the STW, I am sure they will work as well as the Hornadys.
145LRX would be on my short list.
Just curious about why you want to go with a 7mm bullet instead of your 30 caliber rifles that have done well for you on an elk hunt? Trying different rifles is enjoyable but smaller isn't the direction I'd go if I was trying to avoid tracking. Personally I love my 7 RM and it shoots extremely well but ive gone to a 300 Wby for a little more stopping power at 300 yards (hunting open country cross canyon usually). The 180 grain ttsx vs the 150 at similar velocities and trajectory.
that doesn't way over penetrate? smile
140gr TTSX and 59gr of RL-19.........
specneeds

I can't make it out west every year and I don't feel the need to have a belted mag short mag or an ultra mag whatever. They sat in the safe not being used.
I sold all my rifles but a couple and a pile of handguns to hunt Africa. No regrets either. So now I am in the mist of picking up a few more rifles. As said I have a Kimber Classic Select in 30-06 and I did not want another 06. I thought on the 270 some but decided on the 280ai.
When I started hunting out west the first rifle I bought was a Remington 700 mountain in 280 and had great luck with it for mule deer. So the 280ai was it.
It has taken 39 years but while I think your 300 weatherby is a fine cartridge I would not have any fun shooting it and don't enjoy the recoil or the muzzle blast.
I have also recently picked up a Kimber Classic select in 257 Roberts and another Montana in 260. Both fun to shoot.
160 partition, H4350 is good company for the bullet.

Filled my pick-up several times w/elk with help from a 160 gr partition from my non-ackley .280 rem at 2800 fps.

With the added mass of elk bone and muscle is why I would stay with the heavier bullet... Not that it cannot be done with the lighter 140 accubond, I prefer a heavier bullet with a little more momentum built in when angles get hard or when heavy bone is hit.
If I were hunting anything short of the big bears, my 280ai would be slinging Nosler 150 BT. Simply put they work very well.
Have found the 150 gr Ballistic tip to be the most accurate and to be deadly on deer. Have used the 140 gr. Accubond on bigger game, including Kudu and Sable.
I agree the 150 ballistic tip kills deer better than anything else ive seen and. and is usually the most accurats bullet as well, that is out of more the just my rifle.

When you may encounter heavier bone I don't trust there to be consistent results. I thought guys were exaggerating until it happened to me. Slivers shot into the lungs of a big bull is a good way to lose an animal. The bullet that seems closest in accuracy and kills well even through a shoulder blade is the 150 ttsx. The Barnes shoot well and penetrate after the break the bones they may hit.
I have had good luck with the 140gr Accubond, 150 gr Barnes ttsx and the 168gr Berger. The deer in my picture was taken with one of the 168gr Bergers. The 280AI is a handy little round in my opinion.
I ended up buying two boxes of Barnes 150 gr TTSX
I also made a modified case gauge. Now to load some rounds and shoot. Hopefully soon Wisconsin will make it out of the single digits.
Good luck I hope they shoot well for you and you get to see how they work on a great tasting elk. Just finished a really good elk burger with a little cheese some grilled onions and mushrooms.
Originally Posted by specneeds
Good luck I hope they shoot well for you and you get to see how they work on a great tasting elk. Just finished a really good elk burger with a little cheese some grilled onions and mushrooms.

A little off topic but since you mentioned it the first elk I shot was fantastic. Relatives and friends kept asking for more. The second in Wyoming I could not give him away. I thought field prep was ok and it was cold but he tasted terrible.
If you shot that bull too early in the post rut, he will eat like shidt. cry frown
I shot him the first Saturday of the Wyoming rifle season in 2004. (I think)
Puts it mid October.
The Colorado elk was in 01 or 02 and if I remember it was early October.
Yup that's about right for a tough hunk of meat!

Depends on how hard he's been running the previous month. Sure it will vary some ,animal to animal...but if I want meat, I am all through chasing herd bulls in October.
Posted By: CLB Re: Gotta 280AI and need a bullet - 02/08/14

WTF Mav, the man has a .280 AI in his hands.......more than sufficient to kill any elk on the mountain.

You being a B&C hunter and all....I'm sure you can do better....
A year ago last January, my hunting partner shot his elk with the 160 gr. Accubond at 317 yars laser measured. Bullet was loaded to 3000 FPS plus a little more from his 7mm Rem. Mag. Call it 3020. At the shot, the elk went a distance of three feet, straight down. He hit it a bit too far back so a second shot was required but the elk wasn't going anywhere. This last January, he used the same rifle and load for his hunt and another three foot straight down drop. Shot this time was 93 yards.
The first couple of days I arried my .280 Rem. with the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam (old two core style) but switched to my .35 Whelen for the third and last day of the hunt. I shot the 225 gr. TSX FWIW and it too was a one shot kill. I'll most likely take the .280 again next January but will take the Whelen as back up. It's been the luckiest elk rifle I've ever owned.
Paul B.
An important factor not many consider anymore is Sectional Density. I have chosen Bullets of high S.D. for the caliber for my loads when the game is larger than Deer.
In 7mm/280 cal use 150Gr or 160Gr ; Elk won't know the difference when hit !
Bottom line is, The 160 will be more accurate in 9" Twist bbl
150 will be more accurate in 10" Twist bbl. (usually)
I have found the long 175gr bullets need more velocity than an '06 size case will deliver to expand sufficiently. AI or not.
The best balance between bullet weight & velocity with the 280 on Elk, lies with the 150gr or 160gr. IME
Rich
What twist barrel is my Kimber 280 ai? Just curious.
What twist barrel is my Kimber 280 ai? Just curious.

9.5 twist/280AI

Look here.
First batch ready for testing.
150 grain TTSX seated 40 thousanths shy of lands.
H4350 powder
Nosler brass

[Linked Image]
Curious how it does, ideally would like to run the 150TTSX as well
I loaded with four different powder weights and will work it up those
I will post the chrony results also
Do not discount the 160gr , If you reread this entire thread you will find 85% of the responders,all long time elk hunters recomended the 160gr. do not be dazzled with velocity of lighter bullets, be confident of deep penetration of a bullet with a long shank after maximum expansion.
After you finish testing the 150 , try the 160 with a maximum load of 4350,(worked up of course) you will be surprised with the accuracy. It will also fly flatter to the longer ranges.
good luck,
Rich
Originally Posted by nitrosonic
Do not discount the 160gr , If you reread this entire thread you will find 85% of the responders,all long time elk hunters recomended the 160gr. do not be dazzled with velocity of lighter bullets, be confident of deep penetration of a bullet with a long shank after maximum expansion.
After you finish testing the 150 , try the 160 with a maximum load of 4350,(worked up of course) you will be surprised with the accuracy. It will also fly flatter to the longer ranges.
good luck,
Rich

Here I thought monolithic bullets penetrated more and aren't the TTSX considered to be a longer bullet?
Anybody have a 150TTSX and a 160 Accubond to see a side by side comparison?
good luck,
Rich

I did go back a reread it all and you are way off base with the 85%. In fact I think the 150 TTSX has the most recommendations.
good luck,
Rich

I did go back a reread it all and you are way off base with the 85%. In fact I think the 150 TTSX has the most recommendations.

Read it again. Three 150 TTSX recommendations from SD, MN and unknown. Nine 160 AB recommendations from Idaho, Colorado and Arizona. Five 140 gr miscellaneous recommendations and five 150gr miscellaneous recommendations.

I've killed elk with monos and won't do it again. No blood trails and elk run farther than ABs.
I count 4 for the 160 Accubond and some more for the Partition but we are splitting hairs. The 150 BT had a strong opinion also. If you read my first post I have used the Accubond successfully in a 30 cal and the Partition is my favorite.

Truthfully I don't know why I bought these. I guess I wanted to try them but as Rich stated about I will NOT discount the 160 AB or PT.
boy !! I don't know if I want to stick my nose in here again lol.
We all have our "Pet" loads for the game we hunt,and try to impart those on our fellow hunter !
Earlier I stated Elk won't care if they're hit with a 150gr or a 160gr bullet of the same constuction.
That bullet you are testing will certainly kill elk when properly placed in the vitals .
10 more grains of bullet riding on the tail end of a 150gr won't make much difference even when you run up against serious bone.
I have seen mono bullets (not mine) blow up on front shoulders, and Elk have run off. I think a most important objective is to closely match the "impact" velocity with the weight of the bullet. The addtl' 100-150 fps of the 150gr could be enough to put the bullet to the test.
I would close my effort here by saying "If I were to use a bullet lighter than 160gr,for Elk, It would only be of a partition or Solid Base design, and not less than 150gr in the 7mm bore cartridges . But thats just me smile
nitosonic
I appreciate your input.
I don't care what you use. I've killed a bunch of elk with 130gr bullets - anything recommended will work. Elk aren't hard to kill if you punch their lungs. I just think you were reading the results to support your decision.
I was am a little nervous about deviating from my tried and true but the Barnes offerings come highly recommended from all that use them. I bought them so I'll try them. They still have to shoot before I'll take them on my hunt.
Thank you brymoore for recommendation.
I ain't changin schitt with mine.
Shoots itty bitty groups at @ 3150 fps and flat out kills, even at looong ranges.
Like a pass thru on an oryxs shoulder at 693 yards.
Fluke?
Don't care.
God can't even convince me to change anything.
Get familiar w/said rifle.Find the best shooting bonded or mono bullet n twist up 20 or so...ScottyO
What kind of velocity and groups are you getting?
© 24hourcampfire