Home
Posted By: Foster unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/03/14
hi all, my dad and I are planning on hunting elk in unit 53 this year as long as he gets drawn for a cow tag. I was wondering if you guys from around the area can give me any insite on the unit or where some of the places are that may hold elk. any pointers in general will work. this will be my first time after elk, my dad has been on about a dozen. we would like to get away from the crowds if possible. we don't have horses so it will be all on foot and we are not ruling out packing a camp in if we have to. never seen this area and any pointers or tips you might have would be appreciated. I am not looking for your spots just general areas where a guy might find success.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/03/14
I don't hunt there as my reports from foot hunters that do is a lot of ATV's.

I have a friend that worked for an outfitter and cowboyed some when he was going to college there in Gunnsion .He always talked about Cement Ridge, but I have no idea where that is
Posted By: Foster Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
thanks saddlesore. so can they use atvs all throughout the unit. we are looking at west elks wilderness area around the beckwith mountains. I found the usfs trail maps but I thought they were for hiking or horseback only? this is always the hardest thing about out of state hunting is I can only see the area from a satillite map. any other input is great
thanks again
Posted By: pikespeakgoat Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
Foster,
The motor vehicle use maps (MVUM) will show allowed uses.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/home/?cid=stelprdb5191814
thanks for the maps. great info there. we will be hunting the west elks wilderness. does anyone have any experience in this area or hunted it before that can give some insite. thanks
Posted By: saddlesore Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
OOPS..I read Unit 55,53 is indeed restricted motor vehicle use and a lot of wilderness area. My sincere apologies.

I hunt east of there, but assume you are thinking about going in from the north if you are talking Beckwith. I know elk are run into that country from Unit 54 ,especially after 1st season.

So I assume the are elk there to start with also. I can't help you much since I don't hunt in that particular vicinity.

I do know one party that goes into 53 from Unit 54 and hunts the 2nd season in there. They do quite well. They are young tough guys though as the pack out is quite a distance.

Again, sorry about the misunderstanding on my part.
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
saddlesore Cement creek drainage is in Unit 55, off Rt 135, turn right onto FR 740, s/e of Crested Butte.
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
Foster; Sent you a PM, see the red flashing envelope by My Stuff.
thank you saddle sore. that is good info. yes we are coming in from the north. thanks again
Posted By: supercrewd Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
I put in for the draw for 53 this year but not too familiar at this point. Here is a great resource for you...

http://ndis-flex.nrel.colostate.edu/HuntingAtlas/
Posted By: Limapapa Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/04/14
I last hunted Unit 53 more than 20 years ago, so I cannot speak to current usage level and other hunters. Also, I only hunted the northern side, from Lost Lake Slough campground. If you go in from Lost Lake, you can hunt west along the north side of Beckwith Mountain which slopes down to the road that divides 53 from 521. There is private land along the bottom, and the elk tend to congregate around the fences. Relatively easy hunting,though steep, and I've seen mostly cows there, although a friend shot a 5 point raghorn not far west of the slough. I suspect it gets pretty heavy use by other hunters now. If you want to go back into the wilderness, you will have to take the trail from Lost Lake Slough to the east, and hook around Beckwith Mountain to enter. About 3 miles to the boundary as I recall. A steep trail comes up from the road there, and is heavily used by outfitters and horse hunters who camp down on the road. The trail goes on south into the wilderness. There is a flat area off to the right (west) of the trail that is called Beckwith Mesa, that holds a lot of elk in the summer because it is cool, but usually they move down lower once the later seasons arrive. There are some monster mule deer in the area too. Beckwith Mesa is about a 5 mile hike from Lost Lake, and if you take an elk back there, it will not be fun to bring it back without horses. Good luck!
Posted By: BeanMan Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/06/14
Foster,

I have hunted the Coal Creek drainage many times. Coal Creek is just west of the Beckwiths and accessed by FR 709 off of the Kebler Pass road. There is no legal ATV access in the West Elk Wilderness. Outside the boundaries of it there are places where an ATV will be helpful but not many (Coal Creek Mesa comes to mind). Once past first season the elk will have learned where access is easy and stay out of those areas unless weather dictates a change in their habits. The wilderness is not for foot hunters unless they are really tough and in shape. Locating the services of a packer can change that for you somewhat. If I were to hunt it I would have horses and head for the Porcupine Cone, Haystack Mountain, North Curecanti Pass etc. You could access Minnesota Pass and Hoodoo Gap on foot from Beaver Reservoir and hunt the slopes of Mt. Gunnison etc. You had better be in shape. I've hiked in from Lost Lake to climb the Beckwiths but never hunted that portion until you hit Swampy Pass but I came in on horseback from Little Robinson Creek when we hunted it.
PM me if you like.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/06/14
I hunted the 2nd rifle season in GMU 53 last year. We hunted out of a drop camp near the Cowboy Camp area by Little Robinson Creek. The area had a lot of pressure last year as there were 8 other hunters in the area so, we did a lot of hiking to get away. Three years ago, we hunted within a mile of the same area and only saw one hunter. We saw one small bull and two cows the entire week we were there but, one of the other hunters did get a decent bull.
Posted By: Foster Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
well from what i am hearing it sounds like it is pretty tough terrain. any of the locals know of an outfit that could at least pakc out an animal if we harvest one.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
There is not a lot of them and not many horse rental operations in southern CO a compared to northern CO. There is one, down by Blue Lake, but you have to go pick the horse up as they cannot deliver. I think they have an old horse trailer for rent.

There isn't much money in it for an outfitter to just go and pack meat out. They need to keep those pack strings busy packing in hunters. You might find one in mid season that isn't busy.

It's illegal in CO for a private individual to do it for compensation unless they are licensed. There is a pretty hefty fine if caught.
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
Folks, I have offered some info to Foster, and am offering this info to anyone needing it, It is links to images from a web site called, www.summitpost.org/ The next two links will give you info on the West Elk mtns as well as East Beckwith Mtn. On the page for East Beckwith Mtn, in the block called Geography see nearby mountains and rocks. If you click it, it will give you more images of the nearby areas. For those who have never been here, or in Colo, it is good information.
http://www.summitpost.org/elk-mountains/171580 This will be for the Elk Mtns and nearby Wilderness areas. Lots of images and info

http://www.summitpost.org/east-beckwith-mountain/151955 This is for East Beckwith with images. In the Geography block in left margin, click nearby mountains to see more images of nearby mountains. Ruby Range, Marcellina Owens and such. Those are in unit 521.
Hope the links work. Hungry Horse
Folks: Here is one more link with a good image from Storm Ridge looking into unit 53 and East Beckwith Mtn's back side and Cliff Creek area in the deep ravine.
http://www.summitpost.org/storm-ridge/236080

Folks Here is a link to Mt Gunnison in unit 53.
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-gunnison/154805 See the access road information to Beaver reservoir.
Thanks for the photos. It is a shame, the Castles are not among the photos. Probably the most iconic formation depicting the West Elk Wilderness.
Posted By: Foster Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
saddlesore, can you give an idea of what weather is typically like during the 2nd rifle season in and around these areas
Saddlesore; Here is a link to the castle formations above Mill Creek valley. Jon Bradford, photo credit
http://www.summitpost.org/west-elk-peak/151963
photo was taken from Storm pass. HH
Folks; One more good link for West Elk information unit 53, unit 54, unit 521 Anthracite Mtn range and Ohio peak.
http://www.summitpost.org/anthracite-range-ohio-peak/153635
Originally Posted by Foster
saddlesore, can you give an idea of what weather is typically like during the 2nd rifle season in and around these areas

It sure varies all over. A few years ago there was 2+ feet of snow in a blizzard, two years ago, dry as a bone, Tee shirt weather in mid day. I have seen a lot of snow in the first season that restricts hunters getting into the area, then bone dry for 2nd and third seasons.

I'd say bring clothes for cold and snow, but be ready for some lighter gear.

If you are going to be back packing. Bring enough tent to withstand some nasty weather. Ask yourself if you would be prepared to stay in that tent for two days. Especially f your hunting partner is in there with you.

During that blizzard I mentioned, I know two young fellows that were stuck a up at Swampy Pass for three days in their tent and finally had to posthole out thru the deep snow for 6-7, miles.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. I'd say prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Generally there is a little bit of snow at least during the 2nd season.
I have tried to go up over Storm Pass in the summer. I found out why they called it Storm Pass.

In the photo of the Castles to the extreme right,a little out of the photo, the ridge extends down and towards the east. We use to camp at a little lake just right around the corner, not far off the ridge.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
foster,

You'll want to prepare for all kinds of weather. We packed out 6 elk and our camp from under the Porcupine Cone in 3 feet of snow that fell overnight. The previous three days were t-shirt weather. This was second season but it could happen in any of the rifle seasons.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
Hungry Horse,

Nice images. I've stood on most of those summits. The West Elks were once my passion, I still live a couple of hours away but don't get there much, so many places to go in western Colorado.
Posted By: elkhuntr Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/07/14
Foster, bar diamond ranch outfits out of 53 up coal creek and they would be able to pack something out legally. Let me know if you need more info.
Elkhuntr
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/08/14
My hunting buddy and I have used Bar Diamond Ranch a couple of times over the past few years and they have been excellent. Dellis and Linda Ferrier are good folks and top notch outfitters. Their knowledge of the trade and of the area is second to none. I highly recommend them.
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/08/14
Folks, One more link to www.summitpost.org for West Elk Information. I am sure many of you will recognize this area and photo. Please see the Geography Box on the left margins to see nearby mountains to this area. I myself find all this information "Priceless", it is like hiking your favorite elk area from your favorite chair at home, until you can get feet on the ground in the West Elks.
Here is the link to Mt Owen and the Ruby range:
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-owen-ruby-range/151957
Once you learn how to use this web site you can go to any state and find almost any mountain range and mountain. I have used it for Washington Montana and Idaho to get a overview of potential elk hunting areas.
The photo (one of many) is Horse Ranch Meadows with the Dyke above, unit 521. For those hunting unit 521, and unit 43 see the Ruby range mountains in the Geography box nearby mountains. HH
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/13/14
Foster & folks: Found one more that will be useful for unit 53 hunt. Mount Gunnison and photos from Mt Gunnison looking at East and West Beckwiths & Mount Marcellina.
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-gunnison/154805
If you have never been here, this will show you how beautiful and rugged a area this is. If you double click on the photos in Images some will become larger. Enjoy, especially see My Topo map in the Geography Box, a excellent mapping tool, from www.mytopo.com/ If you flip between satellite and topo and terrain map settings, see small box on top right of map, and play with the zoom, you will see and learn a lot. I like terrain setting as well as the others for different reasons. This will show horse trails and forest roads, as well as creeks boundaries and mountains. You just need to find the elk ! : ) HH
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/14/14
How would you like to hunt elk and deer here ? : )
http://www.summitpost.org/mt-gunnison-from-the-chain-mountains/325560/c-154805
Pretty good looking location to me. This would be between Paonia and Crawford in the West Elk Wilderness unit 53. Click the photo to enlarge. HH
Posted By: Hungry Horse Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/15/14
Foster and folks: Here is one more link to a summitpost .org page showing photos of Mt Guero and surrounding mtns. Click the link, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, see Images at the bottom of the page. There are 7 or 8 photo, click on each one, and click one more time to enlarge them. If you have never seen this area, look and enjoy. Unit 53.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-guero/352858
Posted By: supercrewd Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/15/14
Nat Geo maps 133 and 134 cover the area well.
Posted By: KC Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by Biggs300
My hunting buddy and I have used Bar Diamond Ranch a couple of times over the past few years and they have been excellent. Dellis and Linda Ferrier are good folks and top notch outfitters. Their knowledge of the trade and of the area is second to none. I highly recommend them.

Twenty years ago, Dellis Ferrier was driving about 80 horses up the Coal Creek road (USFS road 709) to that ranch at the end of the road, on Robinson Creek. I visited him at his ranch, which is located south of Paonia and east of Hotchkiss. I asked to rent a horse and also asked if he would pack out game. He declined both requests. He offered to do a drop camp or fully guided hunt but not the other services. He said that if he just helped a little bit it would anger his high paying customers, so that's why he declined. I don't know if his policy has changed.

They have to keep their employees busy doing the things that high dollar clients expect. I think it's difficult for them to make a profit on the less expensive services.

KC

Posted By: saddlesore Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by Biggs300

Twenty years ago, Dellis Ferrier was driving about 80 horses up the Coal Creek road (USFS road 709) to that ranch at the end of the road, on Robinson Creek. I visited him at his ranch, which is located south of Paonia and east of Hotchkiss. I asked to rent a horse and also asked if he would pack out game. He declined both requests. He offered to do a drop camp or fully guided hunt but not the other services. He said that if he just helped a little bit it would anger his high paying customers, so that's why he declined. I don't know if his policy has changed.

They have to keep their employees busy doing the things that high dollar clients expect. I think it's difficult for them to make a profit on the less expensive services.

KC

Plus, not all, but a lot of outfitters have dim views of DYI'ers. They figure every DYI hunter means money out of their pocket and a lot of them figure even though it is public land, the area that their permit covers is their on private hunting grounds and DYI hunters detract from their clients success. rate
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: unit 53 co elk hunt - 04/15/14
Most good outfitters will have numerous hunters out in their drop camps or other areas they have available. Some outfitters (I know of three) have limited resources and would find it difficult contract for a pack out only because, they have to honor contracts with their clients that have paid for full hunts. We were turned down for this reason by an outfitter in southern CO just 3 weeks ago. Instead, we opted for a full pack-in and out with retrieval of our game. We're using our own equipment so, it is less expensive than a fully equipped drop camp.
© 24hourcampfire