Home
Bow season is about to start, what is everyone seeing? Are the bulls talking? Headed to Colorado for the weekend. Good luck to everyone this year!
Bulls are bugling when I head to work but that's an elk ranch.
Still fun to listen!
Haven't heard any bulls yet. Have seen some decent groups of cows and calves, and more than I saw scouting last year. Not bowhunting though.
No bugling yet and bulls are still separate from the cows.
I seen chit.
With all the rain, good forage way up high. Big difference from previous few years around these parts.
I've got a cow tag for ML season. So in my area, there's a big fat cow, preparing to go down in about two weeks. grin

I've got a buddy coming in from VA, he's never elk hunted, so I want to try and get some back-and-forth with a couple bulls, hopefully call one in for him to see up close (no tag, he's just coming along for the fun of it).

If the past few years are an indication, they should be bugling by then.

Looking for somewhere to go...

[Linked Image]
By coincidence just this past week Elk have begun their now annual reverse migration and are herding up on lowland private ranches!
Largest "batch" I have seen is 200+ on a ranch that at the "height" of the "hide from the Wolves, hide from the Hunters" new habit, had over 2,200 Elk on it last October/November/December.
On a fly fishing (grasshoppers are out!) jaunt to a high mountain lake last week myself and my two fishing partners saw exactly NO Elk in country that used to be (15 years ago+) FULL of late summer early fall Elk!
Sad commentary on a situation that gets worse every year now.
So again, the answer is the Elk in my neck o'the woods are changing their century long habits and hiding from Wolves on private ranches as best and for as long as they can.
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That's a lot of antler.
Originally Posted by Wyogal
With all the rain, good forage way up high. Big difference from previous few years around these parts.

With all the rain, a lot of them down low, more than in the past few years--they do't have to go high.

Casey
They are very scattered here in N. ID. Small bands, bulls seperate from cows. Very quiet.
Maybe I'll take up wolf hunting. I wonder how wolf burger tastes.
not bugling here yet
We got home yesterday from a camping trip in Idaho's high country where there are lots of elk. We camped at about 7500'. We had cows barking at us a couple nights ago in camp but didn't hear any bugling. There was heavy rain just before we went and it was down to 35 at night but it hasn't got them going yet. It won't be long, though.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
not bugling here yet

Same here
Due do warm weather, they're drinking Coors with the Coors Light girls.
They were bugling in the AZ White Mountains the past 3 nights.
They can wait until CO 1st rifle to really get fired up!
Northern AZ has em talking too. I have a bull tag in 10 in 3 weeks and I can't wait!
Elk are starting around payson
heard just a few bugles this past weekend. One buddy did get his bull killed, but he was the only that had a shot opportunity. All I had for action was a single spike that I called in to about 5 yards.
While scouting sheep I passed plenty of elk hunters down lower on the mountain. They all reported plenty of bugling but not from elk - not quite yet anyway.
This was in the Sangre de Cristo range.
My son and I were sitting on a bear bait last night and the bulls were screaming up a storm. We saw one nice 6 point right near the bait.
Anybody have any luck yet? How are the bulls talking? Headed up the 20th!
Bulls are bugling and gathering their harems in northern Utah. I had a nice 6x6 bugling at me in the middle of the afternoon last Friday. Sunday, I could hear seven different bulls bugling.
© 24hourcampfire