Home
I have been trying to work up a load for my 280 for an upcomming elk hunt, and it has been driving me crazy. I started with 160 NP's. No luck there. Tried 140NP, no luck. Went to 140TSX's, much better, but still well over 1". Finally I remembered reading a post that 150's were the way to go. The only 150's that I had were BT's. I threw together a load of 56gr I-4831. It was FM. My first 3 shot group was a cloverleaf!!! By far and away the best group I have ever gotten with this rifle. I don't like the idea of using a BT on elk but it is hard to walk away from the accuracy. I am going to try to get my hands on some 150 Accubonds, but if I can't do I go with the BT's?
Posted By: laker Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/03/14
Load the 150 grain ballistic tips up and rock on
I have never considered using the 140 ballistic tip either, but after shooting this past weekend, I could be convinced. I was shooting them from a 7-08' at about 2800 fps. For the heck of it, I brought some water filled Clorox one gallon bottles.

I shot one load from about twenty yards. Bullet weighed about 84 grains and was caught in the fourth jug. The bulled mushroomed perfectly and the lead was mushroomed but did fall out in the fourth jug. First two were destroyed, third jug had hole in and hole out with water streaming out and the fourth had one hole with water leaking out.

I was kind of impressed. I would think a 150 ballistic tip would work better.

Wouldn't hesitate to try them on elk.

FH
Did you fire any more than those 3 shots? Perhaps you did but if not I'd check if that load is repeatable.
Posted By: 79S Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/03/14
54.0 grains of R22 behind a 160 Accubond, using a WLR primer, seated at 3.2760" OAL.
Posted By: 79S Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/03/14
Oh no way in hell i use ballistic tips on elk maybe deer but not elk.
I'd use 7mm 150 BT's on any Elk walking..
A guy who used to post here, Mark D. has killed a ton of elk. The 7 mm 150 NBT is one of his favorite bullets.

I'd take that to the bank.
Thru the lungs, the ballistic tips will drop any elk you shoot at.. I DO prefer Accubonds or Part. on elk, but my hunting pal has killed at least 20 elk with BTBT's.. My wife killed a huge moose with a 140 gr. BTBT from our old 7mm Rem Mag. Shot behind the shoulder the moose took one step and crashed..
I have shot many elk, deer and one black bear with 150 BTBT's from a .300.. I would NOT try to break shoulders, but on a lung hit, its toast..
I do like the partitions, because if I don't have a good lung shot, I CAN break shoulders or drive though the chest at a less than perfect position.. Those will occur if you hunt elk long enough..
.284" 150 BT's are a frigging tough bullet..

Loading up a pile of them right now for the little 7.
Rancho, you are probably quite correct.. That is my pal's favorite out of his 7mm mags.. He and his son have busted maybe 50 elk with BTBT's, but the 150 is what I hear them use most..
I never loaded a single 150 BTBT in 7mm in my life.. Can't tell you why.. I usually shot 140's, but in the early 90's my late wife took the 7mm for her big game rifle.. They are a fine caliber for our hunting...
Crazy accurate too.. Dobrinski got me on them. He's piled up a ton of elk with them, too.
The 150 bt has been he'll on everything I have shot with it.
BWalker, are you the guy who used to sport a photo of an unexpanded TSX on your avatar, by chance?
[quote=BBsteel]Did you fire any more than those 3 shots? Perhaps you did but if not I'd check if that load is repeatable.

Good point. I wanted to go to the range today, but it's windy as Hell here. I don't think that the group is a complete fluke as the group that proceeded it was the same powder charge behind a 150 Swift Scirocco II and that group was my best prior to the BT. BTW: I have never had any luck with the Scirocco with other rifles. It does appear that the BT will work, but I am still going to see if I can find some 150 Accubonds. As always, your help is appreciated.
Originally Posted by smokepole
BWalker, are you the guy who used to sport a photo of an unexpanded TSX on your avatar, by chance?

Yes, that was a pic of forum member Brad's TTSX he dug out of a elk he shot.
Posted By: 79S Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/04/14
Yeah wtf do i know i only killed handful of moose my bad i will go sit in the corner.
Posted By: laker Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/04/14
Originally Posted by 79S
Yeah wtf do i know i only killed handful of moose my bad i will go sit in the corner.

Are you getting butthurt because not everyone has the same opinion as you?
Yes matter of fact im crying you big internet bully! Next thing you know you will be challenging me to a fist fight in pueblo...
Posted By: laker Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/04/14
Originally Posted by 79S
Yes matter of fact im crying you big internet bully! Next thing you know you will be challenging me to a fist fight in pueblo...

At high noon? wink
Make it in laramie at 1300
Posted By: JD338 Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/04/14
Don't over look the 7mm 150 gr PT.
[Linked Image]
JD338
Yes, don't overlook the 150 PT. If I had a 280, that would be the first rock I would try to sling. But, if the 150 BT shoots, check the box and move on.

In the past, there have been discussions of some of the BT's being tougher than others, and the .284 150 was on the tough list because so many were using it for larger game in the 7mm mags.
The bottom group is from my Browning .280 rolling out 140gr accubonds. It is the middle recipe for RL 19 on the Nosler website.

[Linked Image]Untitled by hatchied, on Flickr
Posted By: Fotis Re: 280 Rem and 150 Nosler BT ?? - 09/06/14
You might want to try this one

http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25378
Originally Posted by BigBearguy
I have been trying to work up a load for my 280 for an upcomming elk hunt, and it has been driving me crazy. I started with 160 NP's. No luck there. Tried 140NP, no luck. Went to 140TSX's, much better, but still well over 1". Finally I remembered reading a post that 150's were the way to go. The only 150's that I had were BT's. I threw together a load of 56gr I-4831. It was FM. My first 3 shot group was a cloverleaf!!! By far and away the best group I have ever gotten with this rifle. I don't like the idea of using a BT on elk but it is hard to walk away from the accuracy. I am going to try to get my hands on some 150 Accubonds, but if I can't do I go with the BT's?

My father is old and does not know better shot a nice fat cow with virtually the same combo. She walked a few steps and tipped over. His shot was at about 300 yds. off the porch of a cabin(he is old) through the ribs and out the other side.
I use BT's in my 30-06. 180's kill elk great 407 yards for me. And the deer in my SIG at 466. I will stick with them. The 300rum is getting bergers or Sierras.
I've used the same load on several elk until I had one blow up on the near side ribs and had to trail him 600 yards with only shrapnel in the lungs eventually killing him. I thought the BT horror stories were overblown - now I shoot Barnes TTSX 150s and they are almost an exact match with much better penetration. The BTs are the best for deer but the Barnes do the job on elk.
© 24hourcampfire