Home
Called this bull in this past archery season. Bull came in and then turned to leave. 30yds quartering away. When my hunter hit the latch he turned straight away. Not the best shot, but it worked, THANK GOD
Bull went 40 yds and was very dead.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

125 grain slick trick. It was buried nearly to the fletchings.

Toby Joe
Posted By: NTG Re: Right in the dirt chute,,,,, - 01/22/15
I'd call that a lucky arrow...that I may never use again!
a poop chute slick trick all right.....
Femoral artery will put them down quick
a case of rather be lucky than good
Very much a case of rather be lucky then good. When I seen the arrow hit him, my heart sank and I knew it was going to be a very long day. Then I heard the crash. Not much blood on the trail, but he only went 40 yds. I caped and quartered him on the ground and didnt open him up. I figured the tenderloins were toast. So I didnt get to see the internal damamge, but I bet there was alot of blood.

Toby Joe
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
I figured the tenderloins were toast.

Why'd you figure that? Not condemning your decision, just curious why it was made.
Posted By: KC Re: Right in the dirt chute,,,,, - 01/22/15

Tobey Joe:

Are you sure you weren't hunting in Texas?

KC

confused

Very much a case of rather be lucky then good. When I seen the arrow hit him, my heart sank and I knew it was going to be a very long day. Then I heard the crash. Not much blood on the trail, but he only went 40 yds. I caped and quartered him on the ground and didnt open him up. I figured the tenderloins were toast. So I didnt get to see the internal damamge, but I bet there was alot of blood.

Toby Joe
Unless that's a 4 foot arrow, it's nowhere near the tenderloins.
Sure, but if that arrow zipped through guts those tenderloins wouldn't be hitting my grill or plate either... Or maybe you missed the part where he said it was buried to the fletchings...

Tanner
That hit with an arrow or a bullet is extremely lethal.

I had the same happen to a pretty good muley on me many years ago.

Was a bit trickier track, but was dead about 150 yards away. You could follow the trail, but it was a slow trail to follow but no big deal really.
Originally Posted by Tanner
Sure, but if that arrow zipped through guts those tenderloins wouldn't be hitting my grill or plate either... Or maybe you missed the part where he said it was buried to the fletchings...

Tanner

JACKPOT
Texas heart shot is better than naught. If the arrows dont fly, the meat dont fry.
stick 'em, and let the guide sort it out.....
I had a guy tell me this year "That one in the liver is better then 2 in the quiver". Thought that was pretty good.

Toby Joe
Im betting hes glad he took the shot.

Pull the TL and strip the perinysium before the chitt soaks in. Grill them in terryaki and you'll be in like Flynn. wink

Tanner

JACKPOT

That's an excellent point. I was, again, asking for my own edification and not as a jab to you.

Tanner

JACKPOT

Tanner is good people. He doesn't miss much.
PUll em rinse em and eat em. IMO never waste a loin or a backstrap, but to each his/her own and if its a long time till cooking I guess I may htink otherwise.

drop em in a [bleep] pile of mud? rinse em and eat em. Heck, people eat haggis. Just dont let it fester.
My Dad took a bow shot at a deer a couple of years ago, grazed a limb between him and the deer and the arrow to hit the rear ham. Deer ran ~40 yards and died. The arrow exited and he said the blood trail was massive. The femoral artery is a killer...but I'd not try to hit it on purpose.
Femoral is a bit trickier, but if you hit the pelvic joint there are a LOT of large arteries right there that almost have to be damaged by that hit.

FWIW the ham is also more artery rich than just the femoral, the femoral will be really quick death, but even a good solid hit there will bleed out pretty quickly.

In retrospect I let a couple of deer walk that I should have shot, now that i know what I know.

Same can be said for a rifle... once you know what its capable of and where things are located, you become much more deadly, and don't have to listen to all the old tales either...

Edit to add... I should not have said pelvic joint, more like the cavity is what I meant. Can't seem to think of the right word right now either...
Your client got lucky....
If it was buried to the fletchings, it should have been well into the liver as well.
$hitty shot, pun intended. I wouldn't have advertised. mtmuley
Seen a guy get a deer with a glancing shot off a vine maple into the back of the deers head as he turned to run. Lucky to the point of ridiculous.
First big game animal I ever got with a bow, a little deer, jumped the string and jumped right into my arrow. If he had stayed put I would have missed.
Yes, I forgot. Alot of people on this board think that all hunting is a fairy tale and everything happens just perfect everytime.

Chitty shots happen, animals dont do what they are supposed to, and arrows and bullets dont do what they are supposed to everytime. Heaven help me cuz I put it on the internet and woke some up.

Toby Joe
Thanks for posting TJ, always good to see stuff you don't get to see every day. Or maybe in a lifetime.
Yep, if so many things like this werent covered up we could learn a lot more stuff.

I was up on a cliff above a dry creek bed and a ten point buck came quartering in below and toward me. I drew and shot and he jerked his head up toward me at the sound. The arrow (rocket exp with three short blades) hit im in the strong rt jaw but went into the neck. He didnt make it 50 yards.
If you wait for a perfect shot everytime, you are going to eat a lot of tags! That is why I advocate a good rifle and good bullet for elk hunting and tell the 22-250 and 243 hunters that they are taking a big risk with those little rounds.
Good thread and thanks TJ for posting. Thanks also for the honesty of the conversation. If you have not experienced a "schitt happens" event in the woods, you've either been really lucky or haven't spent much time in the woods.
There's good and bad luck. Looks like things went to the good side in this instance.

Don't know if he was BS-ing me or not, but friend described a 2nd hand report where a broad head hit right between the dew claws of an elk's hind leg. Followed a great blood trail to a dead elk in about 200 yds.
Originally Posted by mtmuley
$hitty shot, pun intended. I wouldn't have advertised. mtmuley

He made it pretty clear it was plain lucky things worked out well. Hardly "advertising".

Sometimes things go wrong and maybe this helps somebody else in the future.

Tanner

That would be some extra goodies with that.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If you wait for a perfect shot everytime, you are going to eat a lot of tags! That is why I advocate a good rifle and good bullet for elk hunting and tell the 22-250 and 243 hunters that they are taking a big risk with those little rounds.

This. Some people arent affected by Murphys Law, but when i saw my true trophy whale tail 6x6 with 4 long 90 degree curved up fronts running through the brush and timber across and away up a hill about 200 yards away i was glad i had a 300 rum with 180 sirrocos. Its good i did.
That shot was sick
That had to burn
Every time I see that byline "Aim for the Exit Hole", I think of the poopchute shot !
Back in the early 60's a huge Whitetail Buck and I surprised each other on a cleared fence line with thick cover on both sides.
He bolted straight away down the fence line,and in his second bound he displayed a perfect target for me - his touchhole right in the center of all that white hair.
It was a reaction shot, Mount & Fire.
I'm talking twenty yards here, and I knew what my 12ga slug would do in there.
When I went to bung him, I noticed just the slightest crease in the skin on the edge of his orifice.
The slug had indeed found the hole!
The slug traveled forward perfectly just below the backbone, just clipping a bit of it here and there until lodging between the shoulders.
I was carrying a Model 12 Winchester,my first Gun
I wouldn't take the same shot today.
I'd take that shot every last time today, if I had need for that particular deer.
On a really big buck or bull, you bet. Some meat is better than no meat.
With a 12 gauge slug gun at 20 yards? Every day for me!
Posted By: kend Re: Right in the dirt chute,,,,, - 02/07/15
I shot a cow in the ass this season with my ML. Shooting uphill the 385 grain bullet entered the rump, just barely nicked the spine, put a hole in the liver and destroyed the lungs. The big bullet just puts holes in meat and doesn't turn it into jello. There was virtually no damage to meat. Was the shot ethical? The animal piled up in about 20' and I'd do it again in a minute.
© 24hourcampfire