Home
Posted By: jorgeI ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
I'm booked at Broadmouth Canyon Ranch in Sept of next year for elk. Deciding on gear is half the fun. I've been toying with various 300s, 338s and 340s, but I think I'm going to take this:
McMillan Stocked pre-64 70
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

This is my first elk hunt and although my first thought was to take my favorite rifle, my 300 Weatherby, I want to give this rifle a shot. I'd be interested to hear from you elk hunters on selection. J
Posted By: mudhen Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
If that was my rifle, I'd damned sure take it! Wishing you good luck and good hunting.
Posted By: SLM Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
I would find a lighter 700 in 308 to take. grin

Guessing that one will do more than fine. Hope you have a great time.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
You should have included ANY AI cartridge to REALLY set me off! smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Well, if you could find a load that really grouped... grin

DF
Posted By: JGray Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Excellent choice! I've shot elk with the 300 H&H in a Ruger No. 1 and have carried my pre-64 300 H&H numerous times hoping to do same.
Posted By: muddy22 Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
My general walkabout deer/elk rifle is a lowly FN made Model 93 7x57 that I have made about as light as possible and topped with a 1.75x6 VX3 w/European style heavy duplex in angle-loc steel rings. It's loaded w/book max loads of Nosler 175 PT's and yes it has been checked out by a very reputable gunmaker who rebarreled it several years ago. With a simple leather adjustable sling, QD swivels and 9 rounds in a butstock holder it weighs 7.6# on the nose and will shoot through an elk from most any angle. Good luck on your hunt! Muddy
Posted By: SLM Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I almost put 7X57AI to piss you and the new moderator off.

Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Jorge,
I checked the Broadmouth Canyon website for elevation. They indicated that most of the hunting was between 4,500ft to 9,000ft. If you are talking about you doing the walking as opposed to a horse, I would go with the very lightest rifle I owned that would kill an elk. I don't know your elevation in Florida, but mountains multiply the weight of every ounce.

I started carrying a 7mm SAUM with everything on it pared down and wearing a Leupold 6X.

Our outfitter has told me that I could stand to lose the weight of the rifle several times over and that would help more than carrying a lighter rifle. I told him that he wasn't my cardiologist and to keep his stupid opinions to himself. (I didn't, but it sounded good in my mind...)

Enjoy making the choice and the hunt. It sounds like a great time!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
jorg that'll work! wink

Good luck, enjoy and have fun!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Thanks, guys. Johnny, we'l be hunting off horses in the Idaho property. Over the last two years I managed to drop fifty pounds and I'm back to running 3miles/dayX4 times/week. Still, I'll be 62 then and the Outfitter Roulan Jones knows this. That rifle is about 8lb with a full magazine.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Good luck on your hunt Jorge.

The .300 H&H will do the job,if you do yours. But you already knew that. wink
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
I'm booked at Broadmouth Canyon Ranch in Sept of next year for elk. Deciding on gear is half the fun. I've been toying with various 300s, 338s and 340s, but I think I'm going to take this:
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

This is my first elk hunt and although my first thought was to take my favorite rifle, my 300 Weatherby, I want to give this rifle a shot. I'd be interested to hear from you elk hunters on selection. J

Excellent choice. I don't think you can do much better than that... Very classy and looks great in that Micky..
Posted By: cv540 Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
I think yours is a fine choice. Something about a classic 300 H&H in a classic rifle that is hard to find fault in.

Mine made years ago, with the "walk about" aspect front and foremost, and after agonizing over it was a Remington model 7 KS in .350 mag. I wanted something somewhat light with a substantial cartridge. Topped it with a 1.5 x 5 Leupy heavy reticle.

Used it on only one elk hunt but did not get a shot. It sure was a pleasure carrying it on that trip, and many others. Bit of a thumper (on both ends) but I love the way it carries and handles.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
Only thing is Jorge,a .300 H&H and a 180 gr Nosler Partition go together like peaches & cream.
Posted By: utah708 Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
There has never been an elk hunter who said "gee, I wish I weighed 30 pounds more," or "gee, I was hoping the hills would be steeper and taller," or "gee, I wish my gun weighed 3 pounds more."

Be able to hit a paper plate 5 for 5 at 200 yards from sitting, and 5 for 5 at 400 from a supported rest. If you are using something like shooting sticks, practice being able to get into position and an effective shot off in about 5 seconds. (Sometimes things happen pretty quick, and the elk just don't stand there.)

That gun and load are absolutely up to the task--now you need to make sure you are not the weak link in the system.
jorg, you have excellent taste in rifles and ladies.. Very best of luck on your hunt.. Remember anything a 308 can do,a .300 H & H can do far better!!! Shoot straight and get a huge one!! Looking forward to the photos..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/03/15
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

Since you are interested to hear about our selection in elk rifles. I'll be using something fairly similar this year, except it is 7 3/4 pounds (I know it's a "heavy azzed pre 64" blah blah blah) all up and a 338 win mag wink :

[Linked Image]

Mine's also built on an H&H action, but has a stainless barrel, its also been cerakoted midnight blue. I also wanted to ad, good luck on your elk hunt buddy!!!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Only thing is Jorge,a .300 H&H and a 180 gr Nosler Partition go together like peaches & cream.

My other 300 H&H, my pre-war wood stocked LOVES the Noslers and that is my backup rifle.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Excellent Sir! cool
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Well the boys have talked me into to going up to the Colorado ranch. Haven't decided if I'll hunt. But if I do, this year's rifle of choice will be my old Model 54 Winchester in .30 Govt 1906 ctg.
Posted By: basdjs Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Thanks, guys. Johnny, we'l be hunting off horses in the Idaho property. Over the last two years I managed to drop fifty pounds and I'm back to running 3miles/dayX4 times/week. Still, I'll be 62 then and the Outfitter Roulan Jones knows this. That rifle is about 8lb with a full magazine.

Wow! Congratulations on that, Jorge! It might be easier to drive out to the ranch from Fla. rather than run out though...especially carrying an 8# rifle on your back. wink
smile. It looks like we fly into Ogden, then it's only a 30 mile drive to the main camp. if you guys visit their website (it's very well put together) you can see some gorgeous scenery. We'll be doing the Spike Camp whilst the wives stay down in the main camp, although I'll have to see of it's close enough to gallop down for a "nooner" smile
Posted By: mathman Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15

You know your favorite rifle is an improved 300 H&H, don't you? grin
Yes, but then again so is anything with a Weatherby headstamp that REALLY improved the parent case and a 300 H&H is a 3006 AI I suppose...
Posted By: SLM Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
gallop down for a "nooner" smile

That's elk hunting at its finest.
Posted By: Anjin Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15

I'm no expert on elk hunting (I am now in NM and planning my first one here), but from what I've heard, you could hardly do better than to book with Rulon Jones at either of his Broadmouth Canyon Ranch sites in Idaho and Utah.

Jones is of course the former Denver Broncos all pro defensive back out of Utah State who wisely set up huge hunting properties to pursue his passion.

I envy you the opportunity to do this. Looks like a great rifle for the job.
Thanks, Anjin. My friends here Pugs and Hatari are also going and we really liked Rulon when we met and booked with at DSC.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
The more hunters I guide the less I think all this matters.

However, the "best" rifle I've had a client show up with was a pre 64 300 H&H with 180 NPs.

I think you'll be fine.

although I'll have to see of it's close enough to gallop down for a "nooner"

Isn't this a full service camp, won't they bring the lovely wife up to spike camp for you? laugh
Maybe they will! Oh BTW guys, wrong state, we are hunting the OTHER property here:

daho Property. (Cedar Creek Rd, Firth, ID 83236
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Take the Win. pre-64 model 70. Any rifle that shoots that accurately needs to go elk hunting. Besides, with the money you'll save in not having to work up accurate loads, you will be able to replace your worn-out set of calipers…just kidding.
Posted By: EdM Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Most of my elk have been taken walking the mountains of Colorado at 11,000 - 12,000 feet where my rifles (338-06, 35 Whelen and 375 H&H) have been pretty light in weight, 7 1/2 or less. They will continue to be. I will be using my 270 Win Kimber Montana this year. Off a horse weight matters little though I still used the aforementioned Whelen. IIRC, that ranch guarantees their hunts so I cannot imagine it is a rigorous one so your pick is perfect I suppose.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
EdM, last year in CO we camped at 11K feet and hunted up to 12K feet. Over the years hunting in Colorado, I used my 300 Win Mag, my 9.3x62 and one of my favorites, a 358 Win. We are heading back to the same general area this year and I will likely be taking my lightweight Tikka 7mm-08. The biggest problem I have is which load to use. It shoots 140 and 150 grain Nosler Partitions fairly accurately and 140 grain Barnes TTSX even better. The most accurate round I've shot is a factory loaded 156 grain Norma Oryx. I think any one of these will do the trick but, I've yet to decide which bullet to use.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15

This is what to expect at Rulon's ranch. Big but not typical....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

One of these day, Deflave will be in that picture.... I'm hoping he brings the right ammo next time... whistle
Posted By: shrapnel Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15

Why wait...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sidepass Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/04/15
Classic cartridge in a classic rifle. Love my Sako FN 300 H&H in a McMillan McWoody. Perfect Elk Rifle.
Posted By: 79S Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/05/15

Why wait...

[Linked Image]

Oh man that made my day I cant stop laughing...
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/05/15
That elk will certainly do!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/05/15

Why wait...

[Linked Image]

OMG, that is funny!!!!! Laffin pretty hard here. laugh
Posted By: Fire Hawk Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/05/15
I used to shoot a lot at a range right next to the Broadmouth Ranch in Utah. Used to always get a kick out of the giant Bulls that would walk along the big tall fences right above us while we shot. They would bugle and act out just like they were in the wild.

Have fun and shoot straight.

FH
Posted By: prm Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/05/15
Looks like a great choice to me! Shoot straight!
Posted By: EdM Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/05/15

[Linked Image]

That it blows...
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/06/15
That rifle should work. Looks and shoots great and in a classic cartridge.

Good luck on you hunt!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE (S) - 08/09/15
Thinking about this one, too. Pre-64 Custom Shop in 338. Shoots 1" @100 with 210 TTSXs @2900 fps. BTW, it had a huge (and heavy) Zeiss 2X10X50 Duralyt with ill reticle I had set up for a leopard hunt that's not going to happen anytime soon, and I replaced it with what is one of my favorite scopes, Leopold 2.5X8X36 B&C reticle and quite a bit lighter. Almost identical ballistics, just a bit less flat:

[Linked Image]
Jorge,the answer is simple..... plan another elk hunt for this year. Like a cow elk hunt in New Mexico. wink
Fine looking piece there.. elk has a good idea.. a pal from Pa. and I are going on a cow hunt this Jan..
My issue, as it's been through my entire adult life, is one of time v money and right now, the former is in short supply unfortunately. Two more years I think, then I should have plenty of both. God willing...
Jorge,take the .300 H&H's. smile
I will for sure, at least one of the 300s as the primary, but I always take two rifles on serious hunts and that 338's a beaut and even lighter than the Macmillan stocked 300.
Thinking about this one, too. Pre-64 Custom Shop in 338. Shoots 1" @100 with 210 TTSXs @2900 fps. BTW, it had a huge (and heavy) Zeiss 2X10X50 Duralyt with ill reticle I had set up for a leopard hunt that's not going to happen anytime soon, and I replaced it with what is one of my favorite scopes, Leopold 2.5X8X36 B&C reticle and quite a bit lighter. Almost identical ballistics, just a bit less flat:

[Linked Image]

Jorge, that is a beautiful 338 win mag!!!! However, I'd be more inclined to take the 300 H&H even though the 338 is one of my favorites. The reason is the 300 H&H may be more set up for the kind of abuse/cold wet weather that is associated with elk hunting. However, the choice is yours. Good luck with your elk hunt buddy. Shoot straight and put a good one down...
I will for sure, at least one of the 300s as the primary, but I always take two rifles on serious hunts and that 338's a beaut and even lighter than the Macmillan stocked 300.
Since you're hunting on horseback I wouldn't worry to much about weight. It's your hunt and you have what,14-16 months to change your mind about 100-200 times. wink

Besides the bull isn't gonna know it was shot with a .300 H&H or a .338 Win. Shot placement and bullet performance. grin
Posted By: SLM Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE (S) - 08/09/15
Besides the bull isn't gonna know it was shot with a .300 H&H or a .338 Win.

Or a 308 AI.

From a 700. grin
Originally Posted by SLM

Or a 308 AI.

From a 700. grin
Well,yes the bull will know it was shot from a 700. It'll just stand there and cry. whistle
Originally Posted by SLM

Or a 308 AI.

From a 700. grin

dat was mean.... I'd rather hit a boy appendage on an anvil with a ball peen hammer than get caught with a 700.... smile
Laffin'. If you decide to give it a try, take take some video.
Posted By: Pugs Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE (S) - 08/09/15
dat was mean.... I'd rather hit a boy appendage on an anvil with a ball peen hammer than get caught with a 700.... smile

Reverend! Of course I'm an oddball. I'm a leftie who is right eye dominant and so my father taught me to shoot right handed (and glad he did!) The result is I feel more comfortable with the rifle slung over my right shoulder. With a 700, or other rifles that don't lock the bolt, I find the bolt open and cartridges slung Hansel and Gretel style in my path.

I shot a moose in Newfoundland last Oct with a borrowed Rem 700 .30-06. Worked fine (well, except for the guide who wanted me to shoot moose at a lazered 421 yards with a borrowed rifle that I had shot 2X at 100 yards to verify it was dead on. Yes, I passed). In a couple days of hunting I can't count the number of times the bolt slipped open.

It's a long sordid tale but United finally delivered my Savage 99 3 days later, broken. Regardless, the rifle for this hunt will be my 1949 M70 in .300 H&H Super Grade. I just put a 6x42 on it and will get to the range next weekend. This is it with the previous 6x33.

[Linked Image]

Give you $10.99 for that SG.

Cash. wink
Give you $10.99 for that SG.

Cash. wink

Hmm, I'll consider that if you'll allow me to throw in a multiplier. Say Avagadro's #? grin

I have little need for "large" bore rifles in my life so I have no reason to think this .300 H&H will be it forever. I can't think of anything anywhere I want to hunt that won't go down just fine with it. Most stuff will do just fine with the .257 Bob, 7-08, .300 Savage in the safe but I have to admit I do have a hole in my soul for a .243 AI.
Can't help with Avagadro's #. frown

Can't help with Avagadro's #. frown

A lot more than I paid for it (about $46,000,000). I don't get lucky and find exactly what I want often. grin OK, it's yours for 40 million even because I like you.
HOT DOG! The check is in the mail! wink grin
HOT DOG! The check is in the mail! wink grin

Dollars not Drachmas! grin
Pesos?
Elks', if you show up with a mod. 70, the NM elk will laugh at you.

Me too. grin
Originally Posted by SLM

Me too. grin

Some elk, and people, need culturing up. grin
Pesos?

Pass. grin
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by SLM

Me too. grin

Some elk, and people, need culturing up. grin

Nice one.

I have nothing.
But I'm still going to laugh at elks'.
Originally Posted by SLM

Me too. grin
Too late,this one didn't laugh.

M 70 in .270 Wby mag.

[Linked Image]

Pugs,gonna have to pass on the SG. whistle
Originally Posted by SLM
But I'm still going to laugh at elks'.

Killed this one with a M 70 "clone" i.e a Dakota m 76 7mm Dakota.

[Linked Image]

Better pic of the 76.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Laugh it up fuzzball! grin

Posted By: luv2safari Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Well the boys have talked me into to going up to the Colorado ranch. Haven't decided if I'll hunt. But if I do, this year's rifle of choice will be my old Model 54 Winchester in .30 Govt 1906 ctg.

You should hunt and do it with that great Classic! cool cool
Posted By: Slavek Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/09/15
For "Walkabout" I would want something light and compact. Old Model Remington 600/660 or newer short-actioned sample (Model 7???) with Kevlar reinforced stock would be my first choice. The caliber would be .350 Magnum. The scope would be something light with 2 to 7 or 8x 32mm....Leupold comes to mind.

If you stuck on Winchester they made something in .325WSM on short action with plastic stock. That one would work good too.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/10/15
Here's better picture of the 338 when it had yet another scope, this one a 3.5X10X40. I think the 2.5X8 is just about perfect.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/10/15
Jorge,use the .300 H&H's. wink
Posted By: hatari Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/10/15
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

You know this means the arms race is on? Pulled out all the load history on the 8mm Hatari Mag. Fireformed 30 new cases. Just received all the 8mm projectiles I could order. I will not me out gunned! smile
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/10/15
Looking forward to the shootout. Bring it to Jagerfest if you can.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/10/15
Good grief,even though it's M 700 this will work. IIRC in the pic it weighs a hair under 8 lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Putting a laminated stock on it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: ELK WALKABOUT RIFLE - 08/14/15
Jorge that's a beautiful 338! It would be hard to pick which one to carry. They are both excellent on the mountain.
© 24hourcampfire