Home
Posted By: super T who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/17/15
Just got my elk and deer tags. Will be hunting in northern Utah on private ground, nearest town is Evanston, Wy. My first day of hunting will be September 12th. I've been hunting for a very long time and am looking forward to this year just as much as ever, maybe more because conditions look outstanding. Horn growth is very good and animal numbers are up thanks to several mild winters back to back. So, that's my story what's yours ? BTW I've got trial cam photos and other photos of some elk and deer but have no idea of how to post them and little interest in learning. Anyone want to volunteer ?
Still trying to narrow it down in CO for OTC archery. No big deal, I've got about a week till the opener lol
Az unit 10 early rifle elk baby. I am a non res so I've waited a long time. My friend and I are doing it DIY and I can't wait!
I plan on going every year. Does that count???
Posted By: Dre Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/17/15
Any bull tag, North Eastern Oregon. Jonesing to get out there.
Posted By: HBC Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/17/15
Area 49 in New Mexico for first rifle hunt. And area 31 New Mexico rifle deer hunt...never Hunted either and scouted Sunday with no fresh sign...off to the mountains again this weekend to find a place to hunt!
Got a Bull and Buck tag for muzzle loader and a Cow tag for first rifle
Likely my last year to hunt so I gotta make it count.
Posted By: EdM Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/17/15
Area 49 second season Colorado.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Az unit 10 early rifle elk baby. I am a non res so I've waited a long time. My friend and I are doing it DIY and I can't wait!

What are your plans? My buddy has the same tag. has seen some nice bulls. Are you camping or staying in Town?

Wind Rivers in Wyo first part of October. Bull tag. Hunting with two friends with Bald Mountain Outfitters. It's one friend's first big game hunt.

I'm almost as eager to launch a few flys in some of those small mountain lakes.
3rd rifle for us, Colorado Unit 12 and associated areas.

Hunting buddy has a cow tag, Daughter #1 will have a bull tag and I have two cow tags.
Idaho general season.
Oct. 10
I'll be in south central WY with a bull tag this October. From all the info I've been able to gather, it's a HUGE area with not a lot of elk but some pretty good bulls are taken every year.

Originally Posted by super T
Just got my elk and deer tags. Will be hunting in northern Utah on private ground, nearest town is Evanston, Wy. My first day of hunting will be September 12th. I've been hunting for a very long time and am looking forward to this year just as much as ever, maybe more because conditions look outstanding. Horn growth is very good and animal numbers are up thanks to several mild winters back to back. So, that's my story what's yours ? BTW I've got trial cam photos and other photos of some elk and deer but have no idea of how to post them and little interest in learning. Anyone want to volunteer ?
If you don't mind me asking, which CWMU are you hunting? I spent quite a bit of time on/around Deseret in that part of the state.
Colorado Muzzle loader tag! 3 weeks from today we'll be in Colorado!
Early archery here in AZ.
Utah in late November with a cow tag.
Sept 6th. Idaho general tag
Pointer, PM sent.
3rd Season, area 12 for our group. We all have Cow and Bull tags. Can't wait. Good luck all.
Colorado Unit 18. Family ranch. We'll head up for second rifle. Cousins hunt first rifle. So we'll see how it goes. Gonna try to get in some fishing too!!
Unit 55, New Mexico! Opening week of gun season. I can't wait.

Talked to a guide buddy of mine there last night and he had em bugling out behind his house yesterday evening. Hot dang.
Posted By: 79S Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/18/15
All depends if I get back in time but 3rd rifle season colorado have a cow tag for unit 13 and general bull tag. Hope to be out their for opening day of 3rd season..
More like who isn't going. I go every year.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by mbhunt

What are your plans? My buddy has the same tag. has seen some nice bulls. Are you camping or staying in Town?

We are camping. I'm heading up a little before season to scout and find a good camp spot. Most likely on the Bo. We will be setting up a wall tent and will have 3 rigs. 2 Cali plates and 1 Colo plate so feel free to stop by and say hi.
I have talked to a few guys and and got some pretty solid intel. Seems like if you hunt it hard it should pay off. There is A LOT of area though.
The wife and I drew tags for a real good area, a whole 45 miles from house to campsite!!! memtb
Cow elk 1-5 September near Walden CO.
Posted By: KC Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/19/15

West Elk Wilderness during the 3rd rifle season. I've hunted the same area maybe twenty-five times since 1978. I'll have both a bull tag and a cow tag and I'll shoot the first cow that I see then spend the rest of the season looking for a bull.

KC

3rd season. More of a deer hunt with a bonus elk tag in the pocket. Didn't buy a 2nd elk tag this year. Wife going first season, her dad is coming down from Alaska to tag along with her. I might sneak out for a day to go with them too.
I'll buy a plains tag and choot one if I see it....
I'll be guiding several hunters this year.

Also it is my daughter's first year. We have some cow tags. Parts of our cow hunt open September 1st. We came real close on an early hunt but didn't quite get it done.

In mid-late October a friend and I are packing into a unit I haven't hunted before.
General and a Jan. cow tag.. Can get this year's elk and next years also.. Good deal..
We didn't get our moose draw so we are going over the counter elk here in Alberta. Season opens on the 17th. Hoping to get into some rut action. Two years ago was my first true elk hunt and only had 2 days. Tried bugling for the first time and called in 3 bulls in 2 hours. Very exciting! Hoping to get into that again this year.

SS
Gonna do a landowner cull hunt for a cow elk up by Raton New Mexico. Probably be my last hunt as I turned 77 yesterday and bad knees have really slowed me down. Maybe next year I might try for an antelope. Lower elevation and flatter land may still let me hunt something, that is if I'm still above ground. whistle
Paul B.
Unit 17 NM early muzzleloader. Pretty excited, first time hunting in NM and with a muzzloader.
Posted By: TomA Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/20/15
Leave next Wednesday for month long Colorado Archery Elk GMU 63. Been doing it for over 20 years. Tom
Starting Oct 28, any Bull rifle tag in a "SE" Oregon unit for 5 hunt days. Fingers crossed, hopefully the area doesn't burn up.
Third rifle, unit 86 Colorado.

Drew a cow and will buy an OTC bull.

Odds of success are low. We shall see.

Out the back door and up the hill.

[Linked Image]
After looking at maps and taking a drive I found where I want to try out. Isn't "too far" from where I'm at, we'll see how opening weekend goes smile
Unit 61. SW Colorado.
Lots of ponderosa and scrub oak. Red stone canyons.
4 of us each have cow tags, buck tags, and bear tags.
9 day season.
It is 60 miles from our camp to Montrose via the Divide Road.
Nice. Last time I was there I was kicking myself for not having a bear tag.
I was lucky enough to draw a ID Unit 45 Bull tag. They combined the early and late hunts into a single 1-30 Oct hunt. They used to have 50 tags for each hunt, so now it's 100 tags into a single hunt.

Unit 45, although a great draw (one of the best mule deer areas in the state) is MOSTLY private. We've made a few runs up there and have been exploring. It's not a particularly large area (also include Unit 52) so I expect a lot of hunters, especially early when the rut is still winding down.

I wish I had more vacation time as I expect the elk to migrate down into fed/state land later in the season. Regardless, this should be a great hunt and it's about 30-40ish miles from the house - more if I want to explore Unit 52. smile
I'm the OP, my brother was checking trail cams this A.M. and heard at least two bulls bugling so it's starting! Can't wait. First day of hunting not that far off, Sept. 12th.
I have a SW Oregon Cascade muzzleloader elk tag. Could be fun, could be misery, depends on what November delivers at 4000-6000 feet. I've seen deep snow. I've seen sunny weather and dry ground.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
I was lucky enough to draw a ID Unit 45 Bull tag. They combined the early and late hunts into a single 1-30 Oct hunt. They used to have 50 tags for each hunt, so now it's 100 tags into a single hunt.

Unit 45, although a great draw (one of the best mule deer areas in the state) is MOSTLY private. We've made a few runs up there and have been exploring. It's not a particularly large area (also include Unit 52) so I expect a lot of hunters, especially early when the rut is still winding down.

I wish I had more vacation time as I expect the elk to migrate down into fed/state land later in the season. Regardless, this should be a great hunt and it's about 30-40ish miles from the house - more if I want to explore Unit 52. smile
Good luck with that tag! I hunted an adjoining unit last year, but didn't hunt until Nov per the advice of a local. Lots of deer in/around 45 as I saw them deer hunting an adjacent unit in Oct. With more tags in the surrounding units, the opener can push a lot of elk into 45.

Posted By: SNAP Re: who has an elk hunt planned ? - 08/26/15
I go home to the Kootenays of BC, Sept. 08 and set up my bush camp on the 9th. The GOS opens the 10th and it is 6-point only.

I will go solo this year by choice and am limited by age and old injuries as to packing distance. I will be using the Seek Outside Divide pack I just bought and backing it with a modded original Dana Design Shortbed.

I use a Hilleberg Saivo, with a large Hille. tarp to build a bush camp that is luxurious for one and I do NOT build fires.

I know exactly where the elk hang out, very high, tough country, so, have probably about a 5-10% chance of success. But, Mulies,WT Deer and Grouse are available and Moose a bit later....so fun will be had.

Hope to blood the new Kimber MA-.280AI and will bring one of my Dakota 76-.338s as well.

Hope to do 3-4 trips of this type, about 5 days per and am feeling better than I have in the past 4 years.

SNAP, good and safe hunting.
Drew a pretty decent tag for Oregon this year, have a any bull rifle tag for Murderers Creek, can't wait to get back there. My little spot was loaded with elk last deer season, so hoping a few stuck around from last year:)
Good hunting everyone!!
Was going to do general archery in Idaho..But the Utah DWR called and said someone didnt want their LE tag, and I was the alternate..

I guess if nobody else wants it,I may as well take it smile

Near home or further south? Good luck! It's amazing to me how many of those get turned back in. Except for medical, I wish they'd lose their points in doing so.
Headed to the White River country north of the Flat Tops, first rifle hunt for the 18th consecutive year. Two of my partners have hunted the ranch for about 30 years, the fourth guy is the newcomer--he only joined us four years ago.

Been hard hunting the last few years due to land use changes in the area, but I am hoping to blood a rifle new to me this year. It came to me, never hunted, as a gift from a cherished friend. I am looking forward to putting it to its intended use!
I will be in the salmon zone of Idaho from 10/10-11/08.
elk, deed and wolf..
Originally Posted by mudhen
Headed to the White River country north of the Flat Tops, first rifle hunt for the 18th consecutive year. Two of my partners have hunted the ranch for about 30 years, the fourth guy is the newcomer--he only joined us four years ago.

Been hard hunting the last few years due to land use changes in the area, but I am hoping to blood a rifle new to me this year. It came to me, never hunted, as a gift from a cherished friend. I am looking forward to putting it to its intended use!

The Flat Tops were one of the neatest places I've hunted.
Idaho Upper Snake Region with a drawn cow tag, general deer and wolf mid-October.
Hunting SW Montana, Snowcrest and Centenial Ranges week before Thanksgiving. Hunting with my son and his kids living in Dillon. My sons growing family will eat all the elk we bring home. Being in good elk country, continuing our families hunting traditions is reward enough for me
.jd
Yes!
© 24hourcampfire