Home
I had posted earlier that my last day of work, officially, would coincide with the opening of NM's rifle season. I was fortunate to take this nice bull on that day and, compared to a day at my office, well..there was no comparison!

We had absolutely horrible weather last week during the hunt. Warm, humid, full moon like everyone else, rain, industrial strength fog, etc, which resulted in virtually zero bugling & no response to calls at all. It was a "wear your boots out and find em" type hunt.

Each morning found us socked in with dense fog...visibility a hundred yards or less. An hour or two with sunshine around lunch and then rain moved in each afternoon. Not the type of weather I'm accustomed to in NM for elk season, but that's life.

At the end of the day I had only seen 3 5x5s, all smallish, and a cow/calf pair. The day seemed dead for sure. Late that afternoon I rounded a bend and saw a herd bull, three satellites, and about 20 cows @ 300 yards. The herd bull was making no effort to keep the cows away from the satellite bulls at all. They were all were just milling around browsing on the grass in a secluded canyon.

Once the bull cleared the other elk I dropped him with my Sako 338. The 225 grain North Fork blew through both shoulders and, Good Lord, that was that. I also put another finisher in him just to be sure, but it was probably not necessary. This was my first bull with NF's and I was astounded with the bullet's performance.

I had never loaded NF's before and I'd like to give a tip of the hat to BobinNH and MD for their kind advice on these fine bullets. Thanks guys...much appreciated!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow, congratulations.
Congratulations
Outstanding, congrats!
Great bull.
Good shooting.

I hate you.
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Wow, congratulations.

Yep on both. Outstanding!!
Awesome bull! Congrats!
Nice Bull!
Wow ! Hank that is a great bull! Nice shooting and glad the whole trip came together for you. Know you were looking forward to it.

Congrats and enjoy retirement!
Beats the heck out of working! Great bull, congrats to you.
Nice bull.

Congrats.
Nice bull! Congrats!
Well done!!!!!
Nice Bull.
Way to go, Godogs!! Nice bull!!
Nice bull!
Outstanding! What a way to start retirement too.
Great bull! Congrats !
Very nice bull, congratulations on the hunt.
Awesome bull! Congrats on all accounts.
Congratulations on a very nice bull!
Fantastic! I killed a small bull or two when I lived in NM, but that one definitely works. Retired guys have fun!!! I never have regretted one day of retirement.
Congratulations on your very nice bull.
Heck of a nice bull. Congrats on the hunt and on retirement.
Congratulations! With a start like that, retirement should be a blast for you! In another 30 years, I'll be right there with you! cry blush
Nice day at the office! Great job! grin
One hell of a retirement gift right there!

Enjoy the extra time you earned it.
Kind of makes you want to go back to work so you can retire again, doesn't it? grin

Nice bull and nice rifle!

Good shooting, congrats.
Excellent!! Well done!!
Vermajo?
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Vermajo?

Yep
That's a dandy! Congrats!
Beautiful specimen, well done!
Sounds like you were in Unit 4 with me, I was not as lucky as you. 5x5 for me and was lucky to get that.
© 24hourcampfire