Home
Posted By: Alamosa Winter on the upper Rio Grande - 02/20/17
Burned a tank of fuel driving around the San Luis Valley today and I was glad I had a camera.
Had a great time.
All of the photos are from today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Snow has set up as hard as concrete on the slopes of the Sangre de Cristos. A close look at the slopes anywhere shows tons of tracks - all of them headed down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great stuff Alamosa!

One place I haven't been this winter is the San Louie Valley. I was wondering how much snow was down on the valley floor.

Casey
Great photos! Thanks for sharing!!!!
Great photos.

I was surprised to see Sandhill Cranes already.

By the way, did that coyote live to see another day?
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Great photos.

I was surprised to see Sandhill Cranes already.

By the way, did that coyote live to see another day?

I'm starting to think some of those sandhills don't migrate all that far. It seems like I see them around Albuquerque in January and it's pretty easy for them to return back up the valley.

I couldn't have gotten that coyote even if I'd been prepared to. He was a big old smart one and he disappeared fast a few seconds after I stopped for the picture.
Surprised to see those muleys still packing. Most of our larger deer have shed already. Enjoyed the pics, thanks!
Posted By: CBB Re: Winter on the upper Rio Grande - 02/22/17
Nice pics thanks!
Great pics! I saw elk under the sprinklers in the valley when they were running-I guess they're getting a head start.
Looks pretty similar on the east side of the hill. More deer, elk and antelope about and visible in the Wet Mountain Valley than usual.
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
I hunted there in '98 and '99. Beautiful country!
Posted By: KC Re: Winter on the upper Rio Grande - 02/24/17

Excellent!!!

Noticed bunches of Sandhills flying north yesterday. But then again it was 90 here !!! Whew!

Again! Nice pics! Thanks
We were seeing Sandhills here and there as we drove around the valley.
For years there was one Whooping Crane that migrated with them but it passed on just a year or two ago.
You pretty well saw it all! Good photos.
Wow.. Thank You !!!
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Looks like the elk are on the Zapata Ranch. I'm guessing the wild horses are south of San Luis.
Your pictures remind me just how much I love that area!
Not sure if I will make it back there in this lifetime.
Thanx for sharing great photography.
© 24hourcampfire