Home
Posted By: dogwater Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
I went out scouting on Saturday 10/14. There was 12-16 inches of snow at the top of my hunting area. It isn't that high, maybe 7000-7200 feet. I have been hunting here for over 30 years and I haven't seen this Mich snow this early in the season before. Could be in for a good hunting season but a tuff winter.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
Dogwater, I hope you were near Plains!!
Posted By: dogwater Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
Actually from there but haven't lived or hunted there for 30+ years
Posted By: irfubar Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
12-16 inches? hell I have seen two+ plus feet on opening day in the Beartooth Mtns in 1997
How does 1997 in the beartooths compare to the same place today? I wasn't commenting on the deepest snowfall anywhere or any elevation or the deepest snow I have seen. I was talking about observations on one spot for over 30 years. It's the deepest I have seen there at this time of year.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
It's got to be melting fast. It was nearly 80 in Billings today.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by dogwater
How does 1997 in the beartooths compare to the same place today? I wasn't commenting on the deepest snowfall anywhere or any elevation or the deepest snow I have seen. I was talking about observations on one spot for over 30 years. It's the deepest I have seen there at this time of year.

Sorry should have put a smiley face afterwards.
Posted By: hanco Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
Wow snow already.
Posted By: Brad Re: Montana snowfall - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by hanco
Wow snow already.

We've bet getting snow on and off for a month. Not unusual. Nice and warm the last few days putting a dent in it, which is fine by me.
I'm excited about it. I am used to spending the first few weeks without much snow. I think it will be a good season.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Montana snowfall - 11/03/17
Dogwater: It is now November 2nd and its snowing hard here in SW Montana!
Hope this helps you Elk Hunters.
Supposed to be storm warnings here and there all over western Montana.
Drive careful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: kingston Re: Montana snowfall - 11/03/17
It was in the 70's here in New England today. They're calling for more of the same tomorrow.

I'd love to see some pictures of snowy MT!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Montana snowfall - 11/03/17
Wife took this pic yesterday afternoon. Still snowing off and on, calling for a few more inches tomorrow in the valley, a lot on the hills.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Montana snowfall - 11/03/17
Beautiful!
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Montana snowfall - 11/03/17

September in the MT high country. Woke up to this during bow season. My hunting partner is the dark blob in the distance.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Montana snowfall - 11/04/17
Neat picture, Shane.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Montana snowfall - 11/04/17
I left Heron, Mt this morning at 7:30, 4-6 inches and coming down heavy. Snowed on us till we got to Billings with traffic speed down to 35 a lot of the way. Be glad to get back to Texas.
Posted By: las Re: Montana snowfall - 11/04/17
Misty rain in Kotzebue last two days., and above freezing during the day. Potholes around town are nice and smooth again, but fell on my azz 3 times. Ain't doing our 6" snow pack and caribou foraging much good, either. frown

Sposed to snow and cool a few degrees this weekend. Maybe by Sunday we can snowmachine again..

Just thought I'd throw that in for comparison. Sucky weather!

29 right now, high tomorrow 28, snow, 15-25 mph wind. That should help.

Every corner on the 4-kwheeler is a whole new adventure! smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Montana snowfall - 11/04/17
We have 2 or three inches on the ground now up on the Hi Line.

Supposed to get a few more tonight and tomorrow.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Montana snowfall - 11/04/17
Glad I put the snow plow on the tractor yesterday. Probably have over a foot of snow west of Clyde Park this morning. Well at least it isn't smokey anymore from the fires.
Posted By: memtb Re: Montana snowfall - 11/05/17
We’re camped near Meteetsee,Wy. @ around 7000 feet. Only got a few inches, we were hoping for more. Been seeing elk everyday.....except today! Clear skies and a full moon, can’t be helping! memtb
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Montana snowfall - 11/05/17

We got this Friday night. It made the elk hunting a bit more work, but maybe helped us out as well. Last Saturday, we were eating steak on that table in our shorts...

[Linked Image]
Oh......and congrats on the elk. We passed on several the first day... I hope that wasn’t a mistake! memtb
Originally Posted by memtb
Oh......and congrats on the elk. We passed on several the first day... I hope that wasn’t a mistake! memtb

Wow! I can't remember ever passing up a shot at an elk. I still get excited when I see a calf...
Posted By: EdM Re: Montana snowfall - 11/05/17
North Idaho.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Montana snowfall - 11/05/17
I left Heron, Mt Friday morning at 7:30, 4-6 inches and coming down heavy. Snowed on us till we got to Billings with traffic speed down to 35 a lot of the way. Be glad get back to Texas. Talked to Outfitter today (Sunday) and still snowing!! Boy am I glad to be back home where it is 80 with sunshine.
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I left Heron, Mt Friday morning at 7:30, 4-6 inches and coming down heavy. Snowed on us till we got to Billings with traffic speed down to 35 a lot of the way. Be glad get back to Texas. Talked to Outfitter today (Sunday) and still snowing!! Boy am I glad to be back home where it is 80 with sunshine.

The worst part of being back in Texas is being in Texas...
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Wow! I can't remember ever passing up a shot at an elk. I still get excited when I see a calf...

The wife wanted to “close the season”, but I didn’t want it to end on the first morning. She’s still speaking to me....at least until we go home with tags and no elk! grin memtb
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17

Shrapnel, you're right. When I get up in the morning , I don't have to chain up to get to my favorite hunting spot. We were extremely lucky going over the passes with a 2 wheel drive truck with the semis having to chain up. I passed a couple of semi's at one of the passes that not chained up, one was jack knifed almost across both lanes. BTW I need your address so next time I will have a place to stay till the storm and snow are gone. LOL
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17

Shrapnel, you're right. When I get up in the morning , I don't have to chain up to get to my favorite hunting spot. We were extremely lucky going over the passes with a 2 wheel drive truck with the semis having to chain up. I passed a couple of semi's at one of the passes that not chained up, one was jack knifed almost across both lanes. BTW I need your address so next time I will have a place to stay till the storm and snow are gone. LOL

I am easy to find, not far from the windmill by Bob's place...
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17

The wife wanted to “close the season”, but I didn’t want it to end on the first morning. She’s still speaking to me....at least until we go home with tags and no elk! grin memtb

You are a brave man...........
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17

I'm jealous the northern Rockies are getting snow. Give me 4" of fresh powder and the odds of success triple...........
Posted By: memtb Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You are a brave man...........

Casey, I “caved” this morning. Saw the same two bulls (I think), about a 300-310 6x6 and a decent 5x5. Made an attempt, but the were on the move....and we move slow! Nine more days, but in about six... we take anything (bulls or cows) . memtb
Posted By: buffybr Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17

...I am easy to find, not far from the windmill by Bob's place...

Riiight! I moved to the Bozeman area in 1978, I know several Bobs, but I can't place a windmill by any of them. confused

I think Climate Change has come to SW Montana. We've changed into WINTER!
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: Montana snowfall - 11/06/17
This taken from our place overlooking Flathead lake, MT on Friday.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire