Home
Posted By: Tracks one shot decision - 10/31/17
Took three rifles to the range this morning. Cold and windy, spitting snow, and I wasn't wearing enough stuff to keep warm.
Fingers were so cold they were hurting.
Took my favorite rifle out first, fired one shot, center punched a one inch dot. Put everything away, don't figure I need a backup
I don't like being cold.
Heading out tomorrow for third season.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: one shot decision - 10/31/17
If it ain’t it broke don’t fix it
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: one shot decision - 10/31/17
Good luck on your one inch dot hunt!

(And anything else for which you have a license.)
Posted By: powdr Re: one shot decision - 10/31/17
I bet the caliber was 338...since you own about a baker's dozen of the darn things. Good luck my friend. powdr
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: one shot decision - 10/31/17
Love my 388 as well powdr. Nasty cartridge on elk. I've nicknamed her Pussycat obviously because of her gentle push on my shoulder.....tongue planted in cheek right now.
Posted By: Tracks Re: one shot decision - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by powdr
I bet the caliber was 338...since you own about a baker's dozen of the darn things. Good luck my friend. powdr

Actually Ken, I'm down to four. Two others were gifted to Grand Kids. Other than that you were right grin
Wish you were going with us.
Originally Posted by Tracks
Took three rifles to the range this morning. Cold and windy, spitting snow, and I wasn't wearing enough stuff to keep warm.
Fingers were so cold they were hurting.
Took my favorite rifle out first, fired one shot, center punched a one inch dot. Put everything away, don't figure I need a backup
I don't like being cold.
Heading out tomorrow for third season.

I love seeing "seasoned" gentlemen get it done. Congrats on the sight-in, and best o' luck to you on the hunt. Here's hoping you've suckered some young legs into coming along with you for the pack-out.

FC
Posted By: las Re: one shot decision - 11/08/17
I like two shot seasons - one sighting, one dropping! Clean the rifle and put it away until next time.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: one shot decision - 11/09/17
Any word on the hunt?
Posted By: pete53 Re: one shot decision - 11/20/17
for the last 10 years I only use a Ruger number 1 for hunting big game,its a simple gun,one shell,great accuracy,easy to load and unload .try a single shot rifle ? maybe a Ruger no.1 ? we are heading west again for mule deer,i may own a lot of rifles but when I hunt I always use my Ruger no.1 one shot-one kill , i too only take one shot in the fall for practice and check my scope,but always use a bi-pod too. good luck,Pete53
Posted By: Tracks Re: one shot decision - 11/20/17
I sold my only single shot after making a bad shot and wounding a Bull Elk
Case of buck fever I guess, would have been easy to finish him with a second shot but I stood and watched as he limped out of sight while I was trying to find another cartridge
Had them in every pocket but couldn't seem to find one.
Killed him six hours and several miles later.
Posted By: Ready Re: one shot decision - 11/24/17
Tracks,

that story, about how that hunt continued and how you got that elk - needs to be told over a campfire.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: one shot decision - 11/26/17
How'd the hunt go?

-Jake
Posted By: Tracks Re: one shot decision - 11/26/17
Got sick on Sunday, never took my rifle out of the case
Other guys got three cows
© 24hourcampfire