Home
This year was a huge success we filled 2 bull elk tags 1 cow elk tag 2 mule deer buck tags. Animals were high at or above timberline. Bulls were 5x5 and 4x4. Mule deer bucks were 2x2 4x4. We left 1 unfilled bull tag and 1 mule deer buck tag. It was a challenging hunt. The animals did not show up in our area til Sunday then it was easy pickings. When we left the herd of elk were still there. We took 3 elk in 2 days. Both bulls same morning. Cow next morning. Mule deer were taken after that. Durango area had a lot to offer I spent 12 days total hunting and scouting. It was a awesome time.
This was not a outfitter hunt. This was our first time hunting unit.
Congrats, looks like your planning and scohting paid off.
Sounds like y'all had a good hunt, congrats.
Slingblade Congratulations on a very successful hunt ! Happy to hear all your work and scouting has paid off on this hunt. Enjoy your dinners and memories ! HH
Yes it did the elk were pushed by pressure just like we had planned. The terrain we encountered was steep steep but the rewards were plentiful.
Hunt was over Thursday morning packed out went home Saturday morning.
Congratulations.
I'm glad that all of the preparation you put into this paid off.
attaboy! like others, I was encouraged by your preseason scouting. Glad to see it paid off for you.

that's a lot of meat to pack out. was it a long pack?

photos of the sequence?

drawn out story of how the plan came to fruition?
Congratulations !! We'll done. That is a hard area to hunt, requires lots of work..
Good Deal. Next time your in Durango, look me up & we'll have a cold one at the Diamond Belle.
We did not draw Elk tags this year but did just returned from our 4th season Durango Deer hunt, I tagged a nice 4x4 first thing the first morning.

My buddy held out until the 4 morning and shot a larger 4x4. This was hunting with friends that live in Durango on a piece of private land they have access to BUT it is likely to be sold by next year. In the past 25 years thousands acres of private land we got to hunt has become developments frown

My buddy Ron in Durango started the process of getting my head ready to hang on the wall, I only have to clean it up and epoxy the hanger to the skull.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 2017 4 by 4.JPG
I really enjoyed the Durango area on a muzzle loader elk hunt in 2015. Beautiful country out there.
Nice work but pics would make it nicer!
Congrats! Hunting was a little difficult here in the area this year with the warmer temps!
© 24hourcampfire