Home
Just curious, I'll likely never get to hunt elk but since I have one just wondering who's used one. Seems the concensuss is such rounds are not necessary but.....
I stopped by Bend this week and picked up 300 bullets to start loading for mine. I always wanted a 338-06 and bought the RCM on closeout for a great price.
Used mine on a PA WT buck, with hornady factory SST ammo.Not much meat loss and a huge hole in the heart. Dropped right down.
the 338 federal 210 partition works well
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Used mine on a PA WT buck, with hornady factory SST ammo.Not much meat loss and a huge hole in the heart. Dropped right down.

200 SSTs? If so, have you chrono’d them? They shoot well for me, just been concerned about how they would perform.
Yes 200s, I shot a few 185 GMXs but they didn't group as well. Plan to handload for it this year and see how it does. Have some 210 partitions I'm going to try, yes a lot for deer, but dead is dead, and should work well for PA and Maine bear. PA has some 6-700 pound bear, and 4-500 not unusual. Didn't chrono them, as I don't have a chronograph. Buck was at 25 yds BTW.
I didn't use mine this year, but will be taking it for moose next year. my 2016 moose was with the 338RCM and 185TTSX's and I am thinking about using either 210 Partitions or 200g Accubonds next year.
Best of luck with the Moose. I've been applying in Maine many years but no luck drawing.......yet
Off topic, but thinking of ordering a McMillan for mine (wood stocked 20 inch) and get that all set up before I start loading for it.
We have a LH and a RH Ruger 338 RCM both seem to shoot the best with 225 GR bullets so I shoot 225 Nosler Accubonds or Partitions with 61 Gr RL 17 around 2600 FPS in 20 inch barrel. Tried a lot of 200 gr
in both rifles never could get them to shoot as well. Factory 225 GR SST shoot well but keep hearing dismal results on game up here, so I buy them for the brass.
I got a new box of 185 GMX ammo I'll trade someone for some .338 Nosler 210 Partitions. We each pay our own shipping...even swap. Awhile back I thought I was going to convert a little 338 Federal, but the barrel was too small in diameter at the shank. Bought a Ruger 77 338WM.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I got a new box of 185 GMX ammo I'll trade someone for some .338 Nosler 210 Partitions. We each pay our own shipping...even swap. Awhile back I thought I was going to convert a little 338 Federal, but the barrel was too small in diameter at the shank. Bought a Ruger 77 338WM.

I've got some 225 grain e tips
Good to know if the 210s don't work out I'll move up to the 225s.
My son and I used a couple to take 2 SE Alaska black bears in 2016. Used the 185 TTSX, worked well, no complaints.
Hey Drypowder, how many do you have?
I have a bunch of Nosler 201 E Tips. Not a typo... They are apparently an E Tip but made for someone else according to Nosler. I picked them up from Shooters Pro Shop. anyone interested I’d sell or trade at an amazing price.

Have a bunch of 225 Partitions too.
Originally Posted by prm
I have a bunch of Nosler 201 E Tips. Not a typo... They are apparently an E Tip but made for someone else according to Nosler. I picked them up from Shooters Pro Shop. anyone interested I’d sell or trade at an amazing price.

Have a bunch of 225 Partitions too.

They had some 227 grain F Tips last week at Nosler. Some ammo companies cut their own band in the bullet, that's why they weigh more. After the cut they will be 225.
I'm still trying to bloody mine. The 185' GMX's shoot well (MOA out to 400 yd) from my rifle but I can do better with hand loads using 210 gr. Barnes
and H414. I have not had good groups with the SST's of any size for some reason.

I'm planning on heading out to ID this fall for elk. Hopefully I can give you some more info then.
Got one last year. I like the rifle in that it's light and compact. Really like it, and I like it because it's left hand. I'm excited to take some bear with it and hopefully an elk here in Idaho.

I'm going to keep the wood stock and gave it a treatment with pinetar so it's more weather resistant.
Used mine to kill three cow elk in the last 6 years...can't always get a tag. 225 Accubonds. 61 gr RL-17 vel 2775 fps. Never found a bullet. Distances were all under 100 yds.

Had a bull elk tag this year and set up the tang safety M77 22" barrel to shoot the 300 gr Berger match target hybrids as a repeater, 2350 fps at muzzle with 54 gr of RL-17.. I know I know it sounds strange. Before I did it I did some research. Broz from LRH used the 300 gr Berger match target hybrid out to 825 yds with an impact velocity of 1966 fps. Results are shown here:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/berger-230-and-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results.80283/page-2

Crunched the numbers: the 300 gr Berger at 7000 ft the max distance the bullet would absolutely perform based on above information is 600 yds. It was intended for closer shots so I knew it would work. Never got to use it as I ended up killing a nice 6 x 6 with my 300 RUM with 230 Bergers instead.

FYI 3675 ft/lb at muzzle, the wind drift is only 8" in a 10 mph crosswind @ 7000 ft Energy is 2790 ft/lb.
Originally Posted by noKnees
my 2016 moose was with the 338RCM and 185TTSX's and I am thinking about using either 210 Partitions or 200g Accubonds next year.

Details of how the TTSX worked, please. How fast are they going out of your RCM?
Thinking about using that bullet for everything in my .338-06.

Thanks
It wasn't the 180 TTSX but the ( discontinued ) 180 nosler bt: 64 gr of RL-17 3045 fps 22" barrrel 338 RCM
I've seen several elk smacked with RCM 225s, SST and NAB. NAB is where its at if you like exit holes. 225 SST at 80 yards dropped a raghorn so hard I woulda sworn it knocked his front teeth out, I was lucky enough to be watching over the shooters shoulder through my 10 powers. Watched the shockwave radiate outward from impact, to what seemed like nose to tail, dust flying off like ripples in a pond. He didn't get up, no exit. It's a wicked package that's just plain handy... absolute f'n hammer on game.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by noKnees
my 2016 moose was with the 338RCM and 185TTSX's and I am thinking about using either 210 Partitions or 200g Accubonds next year.

Details of how the TTSX worked, please. How fast are they going out of your RCM?
Thinking about using that bullet for everything in my .338-06.

Thanks

The moose was close, like 20 feet, and of reasonable size a 38", with a estimated live weight of just over 1000lbs" I shot him three times in about as many seconds. Two exited with what looked like good sized exit wounds. The third which went through the near shoulder joint I found under the skin on the far side, perfect TTSX mushroom. He was dead after the first shot, but I keep shooting until he went down.

I used a Ruger Hawkeye with a Rock creek 22" barrel and the 185TTSX had a muzzle velocity if 2980. I also have one of the Ruger 338 RCMs with a factory 20" barrel and it throws the 185TTSX at about 2900. I used the second gun on a black bear and it worked as expected, no bullet recovered. I have shot a couple of whitetails too similar performance.

The 185TTSX worked well for me, within my limited experience I would say it was flawless on game from whitetails to moose. I will try some other bullets not because anything is lacking in the TTSX but because working up loads and trying them out is fun for me.

Neither of my 338 RCM's is very heavy and I did play with some 225 and 250's and there is noticeable difference in recoil from the 185TTSX to the heavier bullets.
Excellent! Thanks for the info.

I shot a decent PA buck this past season with a 180 AB out of my .338-06. It's a mild load at an estimated 2750-2800fps (didn't get to chroney it). The buck was quartering away from me at about 40 yards. The bullet hit near the last ribs and angled to the off shoulder, coming to rest under the hide. Never hit bone. Lots of internal damage and the deer only ran about 30 yards. There was not a single drop of blood on the fresh snow and I had a hard time finding the entrance hole. The entrance looked like a part in it's hair with no blood. The bullet is a picture perfect mushroom and looks exactly like the one I shot into milk jugs, and weighed within .5 grains of each other (153 grns). The bullet appeared to work as designed, but I was troubled by the lack of blood and I know for a fact my 7mm-08 with 145 grandslams would have exited that buck even if it hit bone. IMO, it has too wide a mushroom for that weight of bullet (low SD).
© 24hourcampfire