Home
Posted By: 175rltw Idaho elk city - 01/19/18
Guys, I was all geared up to spend October in Idaho this year, but unfortunately had an old injury finally caught up with me that had to be addressed, so I didn’t do much at all this fall but a couple hunts in my home state of Ga. I’ve done a lot of research in the Idaho website- which is a good one for sure, I’ve done a lot of map reconnaissance of the area and had a few questions regarding actual pressure, access etc. for instance most of 15 looks like you can’t even get a half mile off a logging road on the map with the overlay on So I’m wondering how much of that is actually gated as vs being vehicle or 4 wheeler accessible, additionally the imagery doesn’t make it look quite as bad. It seems like there are a couple few areas with much less access and im wondering if outfitters work those, or if you can get some privacy by walking in a few miles. I’ve got some pretty specific questions about the area, so I’d appreciate a chance to PM with someone who has decent local knowledge. Probably coming out in June to burn a bunch dinosaur bones and boot leather with my son. Whether or not I grab my tag before then will just depend on how fast the tags I’m looking at are going. I don’t want to buy before I get on the ground and see things firsthand. I’ve got a few other units that I really like the idea of also.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Idaho elk city - 01/19/18
To start with I'd call the Idaho Fish & Game Dept. I spoke with a young woman from the Clearwater office last month who was very helpful providing info about the after effects of last years wildfires. Just a thought...
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Idaho elk city - 01/19/18
Yeah,
Great point. I’ve had a couple conversations with folks out of the Clearwater office. Thanks Bill.thats excellent counsel for every hunt!
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
If you are talking about driving to Elk City for hunting you will have access to the Magruder Corridor. You can drive it for a least 45 miles ( don't remember the exact mileage) before you come to the Montana border. You have wilderness on both sides of you and there are many places to camp along side the road. You can also go west of Elk city toward the Buffalo Hump and further west to Gospel Hump. Or you can go south through the community of Dixie and head down to Mackey Bar on the salmon and wonder around there.
Posted By: CP Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
You need to secure a copy of the Red River Ranger District "Travel Plan Map". It will delineate the open, closed and seasonally restricted roads, as well as, the ATV trails. The Elk City Ranger Station number is 208-842-2245.

As young man, I spent a fair amount of time working and killing elk in that country. And then came the logging curtailments, the Mountain Pine Beetle and the damn Wolves-It just is not the same place that it was when I was a young guy. CP.
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
I got that number today from Clearwater. The road overlay on the Hunt planner mapping tool was pretty eye opening.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
CP is correct in the fact that every year more and more of that area gets burnt. And what has not burnt yet is dead from beetles. Still beautiful country to wonder around in though.
Well, I appreciate the incite guys. It’s only a couple weeks off my life and I like steelhead and backpacking both so I’ll probably come despite the fires and winter kill on the deer. June is too early to scout meaningfully but My son and I will be able to catch some cuts and maybe shoot a bear while I decide what my
October plan is.
Posted By: centershot Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
Well, anyplace that is easily accessed will have lots of pressure. The number of out of state plates that I saw on rigs last fall was the most I can ever remember. Huge numbers of hunters in open units was the case every place I tried. Had to put in serious effort to get into the elk this year because of it.
Posted By: broomd Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Well, I appreciate the incite guys. It’s only a couple weeks off my life and I like steelhead and backpacking both so I’ll probably come despite the fires and winter kill on the deer. June is too early to scout meaningfully but My son and I will be able to catch some cuts and maybe shoot a bear while I decide what my
October plan is.

Get yourself a bear, let the little deer walk.

It was interesting this last Fall to read about some of the central Idaho units and the Winter kill. My wife and I had a trip planned but decided to forego given the terrible deer numbers. We stayed home and killed whitetail on our acreage.
Guys knew the situation going in, but sure enough, on other forums there were the obligatory pics of spike and tiny fork horned mule deer that were lucky enough to survive last year's epic snow and cold only to be killed by hunters that had to justify a road trip form California, Washington or Oregon. And it wasn't only a non-res problem.

I blame ID F&G first and foremost for not issuing some sort of minimum antler requirement on these hard-hit areas, but hunters need to make the commitment to letting the young deer (and especially breeding does) walk. It's a tough deal.
With you there. Antler restrictions can be a very useful tool for managers in helping maintain a healthy age structure in the herd. I know in many states fish and game doesn’t have the ability to effectively respond to unforeseen recruitment/return/survival issues that present year to year and season to season bia emergency order etc, and changes have to come at preordained intervals or via the state legislature etc. not familiar with Idaho and how flexible there system is, nor how flexible those who manage and apply that system are. But it’s always been that Some guys feel obligated to shoot almost anything when they see basically nothing, and some guys get pickier the less they see. That’s how I am anyway. If there’s plenty around I don’t really care what i shoot- but when they’re scarce I try to pick one that really means something.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
Antler restrictions can help in some instances, but I do believe they have at least three negatives:
[list]

[*]They restrict some folks who don't care at all about antlers-they just want meat-and in a lot of places does are off limits.

[*]They cause a fair number of deer to be shot and left once the shooter walks up to them and realizes they didn't have as many points as they thought (read: hoped for). I hope I am wrong about this one, but have heard enough stories from guys in the bar to believe it happens more than most folks think.

[*]They cause deer with piss poor genetics (big ass 2 points, 2X3s, etc.) to survive a hunting season and breed with their poor genetics. I realize Pennsylvannia has benefited from QDM, but other areas with antler restrictions have an absurd amount of mature forked horns...Owyhee County, Idaho is an example. It is a 2 point only unit for the general season, and a hard draw for an any buck tag. I really believe that once folks FINALLY draw the tag, they want a 4x4 so badly that they pass big 2x3s and 3x3s to end up shooting a young 4x4. I've seen 2 bucks approaching 30 inches wide come out of there that were just 2x2s and another buck with great mass and spread that was just a 2x3. Those kinds of deer are becoming more and more common in that area. Some of the big ones are killed in the general 2x2 season, but I think most folks pass them not believing that they are only a 2x2.
You’re right there T Inman, for every pro a con, for every positive outcome an unintended consequence. Or even a [list] of unintended consequences. I wouldn’t be so presumptive as to suggest I understand the right way to manage Idaho’s wildlife, I haven’t suggested anything, I don’t have any suggestions.

Posted By: T_Inman Re: Idaho elk city - 01/20/18
No prob...

It wasn't a list or excerpt that I C&P from, though I admit it does look like one.

It was me attempting to use the bullet function in the full editor. I typed it all out as they're my original thoughts.
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Idaho elk city - 01/21/18
I re-read and realized what you did... slow on the uptake
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Idaho elk city - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by broomd
October plan is.

It was interesting this last Fall to read about some of the central Idaho units and the Winter kill. My wife and I had a trip planned but decided to forego given the terrible deer numbers. We stayed home and killed whitetail on our acreage.
Guys knew the situation going in, but sure enough, on other forums there were the obligatory pics of spike and tiny fork horned mule deer that were lucky enough to survive last year's epic snow and cold only to be killed by hunters that had to justify a road trip form California, Washington or Oregon. And it wasn't only a non-res problem.

I blame ID F&G first and foremost for not issuing some sort of minimum antler requirement on these hard-hit areas, but hunters need to make the commitment to letting the young deer (and especially breeding does) walk. It's a tough deal.

In Idaho, a non-resident deer tag can be used on bear, mt lion, or wolf. Of course if you do use it that way, you can't shoot a deer but it does increase the chances of being able to use it at all.
However, wolf tags are cheap (about $30 for non-res.) and you can buy 5 of them.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by broomd
October plan is.

In Idaho, a non-resident deer tag can be used on bear, mt lion, or wolf. Of course if you do use it that way, you can't shoot a deer but it does increase the chances of being able to use it at all.
However, wolf tags are cheap (about $30 for non-res.) and you can buy 5 of them.

Not with the DAV tags, I have to buy each species, which is the plan.
Posted By: Reba Re: Idaho elk city - 01/21/18
I see you live in Ga and want to drive to Idaho and hunt some of the wildest steepest country out there. It's what some of us call "ignorant country". Once committed to dropping down into one of those canyons getting back out will be your trophy.

Without pack animals getting an elk out might be next to impossible.

Once you cross Chief Joseph Pass head towards Darby. There is a great drive from around Darby, to the west, that will take you all the way to Elk City and beyond. Be sure to top off with fuel before you start.

Plan on a 10 day hunt, not including your driving time.

Wish I could recommend a guide service, but most of them are there to take money from you boys.

If you have never hunted western elk, there might be a lot better choice other than Idaho.

Best wishes
Thank you Reba. I will think things over, I appreciate you being so straight forward
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Idaho elk city - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Antler restrictions can help in some instances, but I do believe they have at least three negatives:
[list]

[*]They restrict some folks who don't care at all about antlers-they just want meat-and in a lot of places does are off limits.

[*]They cause a fair number of deer to be shot and left once the shooter walks up to them and realizes they didn't have as many points as they thought (read: hoped for). I hope I am wrong about this one, but have heard enough stories from guys in the bar to believe it happens more than most folks think.

[*]They cause deer with piss poor genetics (big ass 2 points, 2X3s, etc.) to survive a hunting season and breed with their poor genetics. I realize Pennsylvannia has benefited from QDM, but other areas with antler restrictions have an absurd amount of mature forked horns...Owyhee County, Idaho is an example. It is a 2 point only unit for the general season, and a hard draw for an any buck tag. I really believe that once folks FINALLY draw the tag, they want a 4x4 so badly that they pass big 2x3s and 3x3s to end up shooting a young 4x4. I've seen 2 bucks approaching 30 inches wide come out of there that were just 2x2s and another buck with great mass and spread that was just a 2x3. Those kinds of deer are becoming more and more common in that area. Some of the big ones are killed in the general 2x2 season, but I think most folks pass them not believing that they are only a 2x2.

Antler point restrictions on mule deer (can't speak for other deer) don't work. In fact they seem to work against producing older bucks. This has been true in all the western states that have tried it on a unit by unit basis. Colorado tried it statewide beginning in 1985 but dropped in the early 90's when it didn't help.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Idaho elk city - 01/21/18
I see you live in Ga and want to drive to Idaho and hunt some of the wildest steepest country out there. It's what some of us call "ignorant country". Once committed to dropping down into one of those canyons getting back out will be your trophy.
A while back I read an article by a retired outfitter who had guided in all of the mountain states. He rated Idaho as the most rugged. The mountains aren't as high as some of the others but he said that the valleys are lower and it's the steepest of the bunch. In some states, once you get high you stay there but in much of Idaho, you're constantly having to go from way low to way high. I can sure verify that the Sawtooth/Boulder/Pioneer/Lost River ranges are pretty nasty. When the flatlands wrinkled up to form mountains, Idaho got a lot more wrinkley.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Idaho elk city - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If You can also go west of Elk city toward the Buffalo Hump and further west to Gospel Hump. Or you can go south through the community of Dixie and head down to Mackey Bar on the salmon and wonder around there.

That's an interesting drive and transition from heavy almost rain forest to a more arid drainage as you near the river. Dixie is a unique place and no doubt voted Trump 100%...maybe more.
grin

A good way to hunt the area is sitting at the top of clear cuts and just waiting. You'll probably see deer, elk, and moose cruise by.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Idaho elk city - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If You can also go west of Elk city toward the Buffalo Hump and further west to Gospel Hump. Or you can go south through the community of Dixie and head down to Mackey Bar on the salmon and wonder around there.

That's an interesting drive and transition from heavy almost rain forest to a more arid drainage as you near the river. Dixie is a unique place and no doubt voted Trump 100%...maybe more.
grin

A good way to hunt the area is sitting at the top of clear cuts and just waiting. You'll probably see deer, elk, and moose cruise by.

They don't play banjos there, but I think they tune them there. If you want to be left alone Dixie is the place you want to live.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Idaho elk city - 01/22/18
I hear the wolves are moved in there since I hunted whitetails down along the Clearwater.
Posted By: iddave Re: Idaho elk city - 01/22/18
That area is not for the feint of heart. Having said that, there are still some good elk to be had up there if you want one badly enough to work for it....and work it will be.

This is a bull I found up there a couple of years ago, in the middle of the area you're sniffing around.

Dave

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Idaho elk city - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I hear the wolves are moved in there since I hunted whitetails down along the Clearwater.

This and misjudging what the crowds do are all I’m really worried about. Especially in the place I’ve really got my eye on. It’s going to hurt when I get in there and it’s standing room only. No elk no deer and of
Course... not even any wolves anymore.
In my life I’ve blessed with the opportunity to develop extensive backcountry experience and the accompanying skill set in several states in this country as well as in mountains somewhat further afield. I feel adequately mentally and physically prepared for the experience, no matter how poorly it goes.
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Idaho elk city - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by iddave
That area is not for the feint of heart. Having said that, there are still some good elk to be had up there if you want one badly enough to work for it....and work it will be.

This is a bull I found up there a couple of years ago, in the middle of the area you're sniffing around.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Tantalizing
Posted By: brucebruce Re: Idaho elk city - 01/23/18
I've hunted the area 5 times Killed a couple of Elk was on a couple kills Most years with my group. You can use ATVs on the forest and most of the fire trails. So packing may not be bad if your lucky. We hunted down most days. We always had livestock as my uncle had mules. Wolves got pretty bad last I heard. Used to be hard to get a tag after 1st of Dec. but I see they don't have that issue anymore
Posted By: iddave Re: Idaho elk city - 01/23/18
Originally Posted by brucebruce
I've hunted the area 5 times Killed a couple of Elk was on a couple kills Most years with my group. You can use ATVs on the forest and most of the fire trails. So packing may not be bad if your lucky. We hunted down most days. We always had livestock as my uncle had mules. Wolves got pretty bad last I heard. Used to be hard to get a tag after 1st of Dec. but I see they don't have that issue anymore

I'm not trying to be disagreeable and I dont know what you call a "fire trail" or where you're getting your information, but the Nez Perce-Clearwater has the lowest percentage of motorized trails of any forest in Idaho. Just something for the OP to keep in mind.

It's not a particularly motorized friendly area where trails are concerned.

Google "trails.idaho.gov" of you want to look at access in this regard.

Dave
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Idaho elk city - 01/23/18

I'm not trying to be disagreeable and I dont know what you call a "fire trail" or where you're getting your information, but the Nez Perce-Clearwater has the lowest percentage of motorized trails of any forest in Idaho. Just something for the OP to keep in mind.

Dave

Correct

It is a good place to have a sturdy 2-wheel deer cart, however, since there are many blocked logging and FS roads you can use to cart out the animal. It's not hard to hunt down to, and drag down to the many closed roads.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Idaho elk city - 01/24/18
One of the things I like best about Idaho is the areas accessible on foot on closed FS roads. Easy walking and navigation, even during tough weather makes this old man happy. Being able to get into good country free of ATVs and road hunters is a rare treat. The NR license for deer. bear and wolf is the best deal in the country and makes for a 7 month season. In case you didn't notice, I really like Idaho.

mike r
Posted By: wageslave Re: Idaho elk city - 01/24/18

Sounds like you have had some luck.
Good job.
Were you in unit 15?
Posted By: brucebruce Re: Idaho elk city - 01/24/18
Camped in 15 hunted Too. also hunted in 16 a which no ATY were allowed, in Sept season If I recall was the B tag. I liked the 16a season as it hit the Rut.

Dave
May be now but 10 years ago the area I hunted was full of motorized vehicals; most were snowmobile trails infact 16a was the only place you couldn't use motor vehicals Saw Game wardens 2 out of 5 times no issues

If I recall the fire road which was the boundary of 16 a and 15 was a ATV trail. Which my uncle who worked for the forest service called them. I'm no expert on the area just hunted in 15 and 16a 5 times. Stopped going do to do other hunts. I'm also lucky as I have Family there. Does anyone know if the reno club is still open in Elk city? Used to drive in to watch football and a burger at least once a hunt.
Reno is closed.
16a-17 have been wiped by wolves.
Game moved to the breaks.
That is where the locals go.
Hopefully it will rebound.
I'm speaking in generalizations here.
I'm sure with livestock and hard work you could find some game in the wilderness areas.
Posted By: brucebruce Re: Idaho elk city - 01/25/18
Too bad about the Reno club. Last year I was there wolves were getting bad, We saw some before the season came in. it was strictly SSS not that we shot any we didn't . But the local guys encourged it/
Posted By: logcutter Re: Idaho elk city - 01/28/18
It's funny,as I started to respond to this post, Elk City ambulance was being called to respond to a medical problem.Ya,I live by and spend virtually 100% of my time in the Elk City/Dixie area.I try to spend as much time as I can(atleast a month) in the summer in that area getting firewood.I take my time and enjoy the area...The wolves have made an impact for sure and they virtually run the streets of the town at night.Ate on a few horses of a friend and chew on the dogs..No love lost for wolves in that area and little chance of getting ratted on if someone made a mistake and dusted some.I used to deliver logs to the Elk City mill before it went down.

It is a big area and there is no way one could read it right by a map.For the most part,all the old logging roads are gated and locked come hunting season but it gives some mighty good walking into some great country.It seems the game moves every year,either from hunting pressure or wolves.They hang around town in the winter for protection and spread out as spring comes.It's always interesting to see where there at come spring and summer.

A couple years ago my wife and I were sitting in camp waiting for my son to get off work and show up hunting because he had the only tag for that area.We chose another tag for an area real close.As we sat there by the fire sucking on a cold beer the dogs growled and got all defensive..I thought it might be a moose that was hanging around but I grabbed my rifle in case it was one of my favorite wolves in the area.Dang..A big 'ole bull trotted through the river and just stood there staring at the dogs at maybe 50 yards...Talk about being a good samaritan...I scoped it as it just glared at the dogs...That was hard to pass on, but I am a law abiding citizen.(laughing)..It waddled on and up the hill to live another day..My son never did make it as he was sick and my wife strongly suggested we leave before I did something stupid....She rules and we left under my not firm enough objection...

I have alot of pictures of that area and some of Elk out the window of our trailer and Wolves, but I haven't messed with photobucket much since there choice to screw us without warning....I might try to fetch a couple and post them here for you if I can get the chromebook to co-operate.

Jayco
© 24hourcampfire