Home
Posted By: captdavid Elk fat, marrow? - 09/17/18
On the whitetails I kill, by tradition, I remove as much fat as possible. What about elk, do you eat or remove the fat? Also in south Texas we make caldo de res. Its basically Mexican beef soup. Much of it's flavor comes from beef shank marrow. Does anyone here eat elk marrow? captdavid
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/17/18
I do remove as much of the fat as I possibly can. As for eating the marrow...with CWD in elk, I only eat the meat that can be cooked completely.
Posted By: shortside Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/17/18
This might be an interesting discussion. I cut all fat/bone etc out due to how I was raised and taught. I have heard and seen some folks doing it more like beef as of late, including Steven Rinella on the Meateater show, as he has done shanks, marrow, etc.

Tagged for my education...
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/17/18
I’ve always trimmed every little piece of fat off.

I might try something different this year.

https://honest-food.net/cooking-deer-fat/

P
Posted By: WAM Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/17/18
CDC says that cooking CWD infected meat, bone, fat, or marrow does not destroy the prions that transmit the disease.

Rinella will eat most anything.....

Happy Trails
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/17/18
I trim all the fat, the taste is off IMO. And marrow is a no-go for me, I've tried beef marrow and it's vastly overrated. Not something I'd go to the trouble of cutting up large bones for. Much less packing them out on my back.
Posted By: ribka Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/18/18
I remove the fat. I save the fat and scraps when butchering freeze it for my dog. Great stuff for dogs

I cut up bones with saw . Freeze and make bone broth throughout the year with in using crockpot. I love marrow!

I eat heart tongue and liver too.
Posted By: Brad Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/18/18
Trim.

Why in the world would you load up your arterial system with additional animal fat? This seems like a no-brainer unless you’re looking for a heart attack...
Posted By: WAM Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/19/18
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^ this. Happy Trails
Posted By: Hesp Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/19/18
We trim as much excess fat from our game as possible. Colorado Parks & Wildlife put out info that if the meat is well done or frozen for 72 hrs or longer the threat from CWD is eliminated. . One point about the rendered fat. If you are a bullet caster it is an excellent source to flux your alloy with.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by Hesp
Colorado Parks & Wildlife put out info that if the meat is well done or frozen for 72 hrs or longer the threat from CWD is eliminated.

That is not correct. Neither extreme heating nor freezing will harm the prions that cause CWD. I would like to see the source for your statement.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/21/18
Elk fat sucks. Trim it off. I have eaten the marrow, it's ok, it can be tacky too but is pretty good out of a round steak. It's not any better than deer marrow.

I do feel sorry for people who are scared of animal fat though.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/21/18
Originally Posted by mudhen
Colorado Parks & Wildlife put out info that if the meat is well done or frozen for 72 hrs or longer the threat from CWD is eliminated.

That is not correct. Neither extreme heating nor freezing will harm the prions that cause CWD. I would like to see the source for your statement.

Yup, that is bullschit.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/26/18
Originally Posted by Brad
Trim.

Why in the world would you load up your arterial system with additional animal fat? This seems like a no-brainer unless you’re looking for a heart attack...

We've moved on in nutrition from this outdated concept. Please join us.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/26/18
I trim as much fat as I can off of elk ,deer,etc. Fat is the 1st thing that turns rancid,even in a freezer. If things go right,,I am usually eating elk,deer, antelope a year after I kill it.Although at present, due to no elk for two years, the freezer is getting low with only two antelope and three deer in it
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/26/18
I trim all fat & remove all hair/fur @ butchering & remove silverskin before preparation.

No CWD in our area.

I do eat the bone marrow, via osso bucco or shanks !

[Linked Image]

Colour me delicious !
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/27/18
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by mudhen

Yup, that is bullschit.

According to the University of Utah and many other sources:

Prions cannot be destroyed by boiling, alcohol, acid, standard autoclaving methods, or radiation. In fact, infected brains that have been sitting in formaldehyde for decades can still transmit spongiform disease. Cooking your burger 'til it's well done won't destroy the prions!
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/prions/

Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/28/18
All our elk and deer get tested for CWD. Got my first 'positive' result last year on my buck.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife recommended double-bagging the processed meat and sending it to the landfill - which we did.

The disease-causing prions cannot be killed - they are not alive to begin with - they can only be destroyed. And they are very hard to destroy.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/28/18
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
All our elk and deer get tested for CWD. Got my first 'positive' result last year on my buck.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife recommended double-bagging the processed meat and sending it to the landfill - which we did.

The disease-causing prions cannot be killed - they are not alive to begin with - they can only be destroyed. And they are very hard to destroy.

Yeah prions are fascinating. They aggregate in spinal tissue and if I’m not mistaken, there is no evidence that CWD has been shown to cause disease in humans. Yet. So theoretically the risk of eating the meat is very very low...

Still. I admit. Even knowing that... it’d be hard to eat. Hope the Grand Canyon keeps it out of AZ. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

P.S.
That Osso Bucco looks rad 😎
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/29/18
Trim.

That’s ain’t how it works.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/29/18
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Trim.

My numbers never looked better than when I was on a low carb diet. Thats an example of one, but Inhave known several people that have the same results. I honestly dont worry about dietary fat much, but Indonworry about sugar and excess carbs.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/30/18
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Trim.

My numbers never looked better than when I was on a low carb diet. Thats an example of one, but Inhave known several people that have the same results. I honestly dont worry about dietary fat much, but Indonworry about sugar and excess carbs.

I'm down 112 pounds as of this morning and I eat tons of fatty meats and peanut butter like it's my job. I haven't touched a carb or sugar in 10 months and my numbers make most endurance athletes jealous.

But to stay on topic....you can eat elk fat, but you'll likely enjoy a wore out snow tire freshly pissed on by a rabid coyote more. The stuff is garbage can fodder.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/30/18

Rinella... I saw him eat a dog once... cooked it over a fire with the hair on... Ya... If that don't curb your appetite... nothing will...

as for deer fat... this year I'm going to try to render as much fat as I can and use it to make soap... we'll see how that goes...
Posted By: dznnf7 Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 09/30/18
Cooking a sample of the fat before you toss it out might yield a decent tasting result - with any given animal it can be different than the last due to their diet. But the very high melting point of deer fat may make you feel like your mouth is lined with cotton.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Elk fat, marrow? - 10/01/18
I've been processing my own game animals since I killed my first deer back in 1965. I learned long ago that much of the strong gamey flavor comes from the fat, bloodshot meat, and the chips of bone driven into the meat from sawing bones. I threw my bone saw away long ago, although I do split the spine of elk with a saw. When I process an animal, I cut off all fat, and throw the fat and bones away. I also cut off as much of the silver skin as I can. Even my burger meat is probably 98% free of anything white. I pressure cook, then coarse grind all of the trimmings, heart, and liver for my dog.
© 24hourcampfire