Home
Posted By: roundoak New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
This all happened in September, but it took me a while to retrieve my camera that I left behind. A picture or it didn't happen, right.

I flew to Clovis, NM and bought a 2018 Ford F-150 at a local dealership. Had some connections with the ownership to get a good deal. (Long story) Two days later I was hunting Elk in southwestern NM.

An outfitters guide put me in the midst of elk the first morning and had some close encounters with four raghorn bulls. Late in the day we got on to a nice herd bull with nine cows, but lack of cover and satellite bulls prevented closing on him to bow range, so we backed out and planned to catch up the next morning. We were in place at dawn and the park we overlooked was full of elk. The wind was in our favor and with good cover we managed to close the distance to within 75 yards without being detected.

We focused on what we thought was the big bull we saw yesterday with nine cows, but now his harem was 13 and there was only one satellite bull. Suddenly, a bull bugled from the right and out of sight. The herd bull answered each subsequent bugle and trotted in that direction. Up out of a draw a 5x6 bull went tearing past the herd bull and ran off four cows in a matter of seconds and they headed right towards us. At 30 yards I could have stopped the 5x6 and put an arrow into him, but I wanted the herd bull.

In the meantime two cows broke from the group and headed towards us. I am thinking their relatives left with the 5x6. The herd bull moved to intercept them placing him within 35 yards of me. I was at full draw and released when he stopped broadside. Complete pass thru and he made it into the timber 75 yards away then we heard him pile up.

Lot of excitement in a short period of time. Love it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Great bull.

Congrats.
Posted By: win7stw Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Wow beautiful bull. Congrats
Posted By: GregW Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
That will work....
Posted By: donsm70 Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Very nice!

donsm70
Posted By: Judman Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Wow very nice!! Bout a good a shot as you can ask for too!! Grats
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Very nice! Can't imagine looking at a bull like that at close range while at full draw...exciting is putting it mildly. Congratulations!
Posted By: 805 Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Nicely done!!! Great bull.
Posted By: Cinch Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Wow that's a beautiful bull congratulations...
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Congratulations
Posted By: Sako76 Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Congrats, slammer bull. Perfect shot!
Posted By: smokepole Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by Sako76
Congrats, slammer bull. Perfect shot!

+1, congrats!
Posted By: Ebby Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Awesome bull. Great hunt it sounds like! Congrats!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Absolutely beautiful bull, BTW I have heard of renting trucks on hunting trips never buying one grin
Posted By: dale06 Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Awesome.
Details on bow, arrow, BH pls
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
GEEZZ.........that bull is a giant...congrats
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by SLM
Great bull.

Congrats.

+1
Posted By: RNF Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Beautiful bull and a good shot, congrats.
Posted By: Owl Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Looking good. Congrats !
Posted By: Brad Re: New Mexico elk - 10/12/18
Great bull, and model perfect hunt!
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: New Mexico elk - 10/13/18
Great trophy - congrats on making it all come together. Looks like a burned over area with a lot of nutritional grasses re-starting the cycle.
Posted By: saddlering Re: New Mexico elk - 10/13/18
I can see why you passed on the 5x6, man thats a dandy Bull!
Posted By: roundoak Re: New Mexico elk - 10/13/18
Originally Posted by dale06
Awesome.

Bear Anarchy

Easton Bloodline

G5 Montec broadhead
Posted By: SKane Re: New Mexico elk - 10/14/18
Wayne!!! Way to go - great bull!!!! And, he got to ride in style on the way back to WI.

Congrats!
Posted By: 44mc Re: New Mexico elk - 10/14/18
good deal
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New Mexico elk - 10/15/18
Great bull. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: New Mexico elk - 10/15/18
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by dale06
Awesome.

Bear Anarchy

Easton Bloodline

G5 Montec broadhead

Congrats on a super bull!

I’d a bet money that’s a Mathews bow and Carbon Express Maxima Reds in the picture.....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: New Mexico elk - 10/15/18
You could hunt a lifetime and not get a bull like that, so to get one in one day, wow, good job. But don't get too comfortable! grin
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: New Mexico elk - 10/16/18
Yes, that's probably worth a new pickup...nice bull.
Posted By: Anjin Re: New Mexico elk - 10/16/18
Pretty fine! Your account makes it seem artless, but I'm sure that was not the case. More than a bit of preparation and some excellent outfitters. wink

Norm
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Mexico elk - 10/16/18
Good gosh what a bull roundoak! A big congrats to you on a great hunt, and thanks for the great pic as well.
Posted By: rutlander Re: New Mexico elk - 10/17/18
Wow, That is how it's done !
Posted By: aalf Re: New Mexico elk - 10/17/18

Shazaam!!!!!
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: New Mexico elk - 10/17/18
very nice... great story
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: New Mexico elk - 10/19/18
Just stumbled on to your elk hunt story and pic. Wow, that's a great elk! congrats!
Posted By: roundoak Re: New Mexico elk - 02/05/19
Update: He shrank from 392 to 377.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: New Mexico elk - 02/05/19
Beautiful bull...congrats!

Love my new F-150 too. Wonderful ride.
Posted By: Judman Re: New Mexico elk - 02/05/19
Damn, that's a goodun!!!
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: New Mexico elk - 02/05/19
Dandy bull! Congrats!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: New Mexico elk - 02/05/19
Congrats - wonderful bull!! With those last pictures you posted you can really see what a monster that bull really is!!!
Posted By: Alamosa Re: New Mexico elk - 02/09/19
Outstanding! Good story and and great bull.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: New Mexico elk - 02/09/19
Yes, congratulations on such a fantastic bull.
You got a new truck too, I'd say you did very well.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: New Mexico elk - 02/09/19
Originally Posted by roundoak
This all happened in September, but it took me a while to retrieve my camera that I left behind. A picture or it didn't happen, right.

I flew to Clovis, NM and bought a 2018 Ford F-150 at a local dealership. Had some connections with the ownership to get a good deal. (Long story) Two days later I was hunting Elk in southwestern NM.

An outfitters guide put me in the midst of elk the first morning and had some close encounters with four raghorn bulls. Late in the day we got on to a nice herd bull with nine cows, but lack of cover and satellite bulls prevented closing on him to bow range, so we backed out and planned to catch up the next morning. We were in place at dawn and the park we overlooked was full of elk. The wind was in our favor and with good cover we managed to close the distance to within 75 yards without being detected.

We focused on what we thought was the big bull we saw yesterday with nine cows, but now his harem was 13 and there was only one satellite bull. Suddenly, a bull bugled from the right and out of sight. The herd bull answered each subsequent bugle and trotted in that direction. Up out of a draw a 5x6 bull went tearing past the herd bull and ran off four cows in a matter of seconds and they headed right towards us. At 30 yards I could have stopped the 5x6 and put an arrow into him, but I wanted the herd bull.

In the meantime two cows broke from the group and headed towards us. I am thinking their relatives left with the 5x6. The herd bull moved to intercept them placing him within 35 yards of me. I was at full draw and released when he stopped broadside. Complete pass thru and he made it into the timber 75 yards away then we heard him pile up.

Lot of excitement in a short period of time. Love it.

[Linked Image]

Stud!!!! Congratulations sounds like an amazing story.
Posted By: Huntr Re: New Mexico elk - 02/09/19
Wow, heck of a bull!
Posted By: Costillacreek Re: New Mexico elk - 02/11/19
Great bull !!!!
Posted By: WL205 Re: New Mexico elk - 02/11/19
sounds like fun.
Posted By: pointer Re: New Mexico elk - 02/11/19
Wow! Congrats on a great bull!
Posted By: pdcrig Re: New Mexico elk - 02/14/19
Very nice bull. Gets me excited about trying for a NM cow this season. Hope I draw......
Posted By: Alex38 Re: New Mexico elk - 02/16/19
Awesome bull!! Congrats!
© 24hourcampfire